Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia in Medieval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia in Medieval
    Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 15:16

you copied from wikipedias entry on Bagrationi, but the neutralicy of the article is disputed (for good reason).

check this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Armenians

most of them have names with -ian/yan, you will find not a signle -uni there, and its not Arshakuni, its Arsakid, Arsakes dynasty was Parthian, not Armenian in origin.

unlike:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Georgians

here, you not only find many names that end not just with -shvili but just -i, amongst them some Bagrationi family members, even one who foguht for Georgian independence...

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

or Hashemian

lol

isn't he of Armenian origin though?

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 17:00
Temujin, the links you provided dont prove anything. An NBA player on the Spurs named Tony Parker, is French by nationality and Algerian by ancestry. The name Tony Parker is neither French or Algerian, and therefore gives no clues or proof about his origin. The same can be said about your links. There are many Armenians that have last names ending in -ov and -oglu, this is because they are from Russia and Turkey. It gives no clues about their ethnic background. I even have Armenian friends with last names that end in -oglu, because their parents are born in Turkey. Likewise, Georgians dont use the name "Bagratuni", they Georgianized it and pronounce the name "Bagration". Notice the Armenian version ends in -uni while the Georgian version of the same name doesnt. So your name theory really has no validity, considering theres not a single Georigan surname ending with -uni on that list. Many of them end in -dze or -vili, but not a single -uni. My Armenian teacher's surname on the other hand, is Bagratuni. Yes, Bagratuni.

Armenian surnames in the first and early 2nd millenium A.D. rarely ended with -ian, as Artaxiad pointed out. We learned this in Armenian history class as well...most Armenian surnames of that period ended in -uni. The -ian ending was rare and there were some exceptions such as the Mamikonian noble family, which again Artaxiad already pointed out. Sure, the Arsacids were not Armenian in origin (they were Parthian as you said). Thats why others call them "Arsacid", and Armenians call them "Arshakuni", because they ruled Armenia and hence their names became Armenianized by the local population. We dont know them as the Arsacids, only as the Arshakuni.

Also, the first rulers of a sovereign Armenia had the surname Yervanduni, and they ruled from 585-200 B.C. Georgians adopted a lot of aspects of Armenian culture, such as the adoption of Christianity as their state religion (Armenia was the first Christian state on earth, with Georgia accepting not too long after), as well as Armenian architecture. They adopted the architecture because they had never built churches and therefore needed to take example from someone (just how the Greeks adopted the Egyptian contrapasto pose for their statues). Also, the Georgian alphabet was created by an Armenian named Mesrob Mashdots. Notice his surname does not end in -ian (he lived in the early 400's A.D.).

The two most famous Armenian historians are named Movses Khorenatsi and Aristakes Lastiverci. Movses is from the 5th century A.D. while Aristakes is from the 11th or 12th century. Again, theres no -ian surnames. The -ian surname usage on a mass scale is only a few hundred years old. The names on the list you provided are modern Armenian names, radically different from Armenian names a few hundred years earlier.

Plus, i already provided links that said the Bagratunis were active in Armenia in in the late 200's A.D., while they appear in Georgia about a thousand years later (with the migration of Prince Ashot of Armenia).

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 17:40

There are also many Iranian names that end with ian/yan - the footballer Hashemian is not Armenian.  I think Cyrus laughed because it is a Muslim name. Another example is Farshchian, the famous Iranian artist.

Iranian names generally end with - i , ian, zadeh, pur

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 17:53
Yes Zagros you are right. I had a teacher with the last name -ian, but he was ethnically 100% Persian. Do Iranians use -ian widely or only to a certain extent? I ask because besides that one teacher, i have never heard of anyone with an -ian surname that wasnt Armenian, even though he told us some others use -ian, but only to a certain extent.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 18:11

It is not uncommon, I am not sure of the suffix in the surname context but "an" itself pluralises, "Iranian" in Persian means Iranians, "Irani" is singular.

I don't know if there is a connection with the plural or whther it is simply adopted from Armenian. 

Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 20:29

A few Bagratunis still exist today, such as Karim Pakradouni.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karim_Pakradouni

There aren't a lot of them, because the Byzantines killed most, or all of the Armenian noble families.

Zagros, I thought that ''ian'' was of Persian origin.

Edited by Artaxiad
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 04:52
I have heard the Georgian name ending "adze" comes from the Persian name ending "Zadeh" (Born), is it true?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 05:58
It could be then, and if it is I would imagine that something like Hashemian would mean that he is from the Hashemi line.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 14:39

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Armenian surnames in the first and early 2nd millenium A.D. rarely ended with -ian, as Artaxiad pointed out. We learned this in Armenian history class as well...most Armenian surnames of that period ended in -uni. The -ian ending was rare and there were some exceptions such as the Mamikonian noble family, which again Artaxiad already pointed out. Sure, the Arsacids were not Armenian in origin (they were Parthian as you said). Thats why others call them "Arsacid", and Armenians call them "Arshakuni", because they ruled Armenia and hence their names became Armenianized by the local population. We dont know them as the Arsacids, only as the Arshakuni.

i don't doubt that Armenians use -uni for certain names, but when they turned Arsaces dynasty into Arshakuni, why should i not assume they made the same with Bagrationi? plus, just because they ruled in Armenia before they ruled in Georgia isn't a waterproof evidence enough to say they are NOT of Georgian origin. and contrary to what you say the Bagrationis ruled Gerogia before they ruled Armenia, this migration of prince whatever stroy is a fable.

from Regnal Chronologies:

first Armenian ruler of Bagrationi royal house:

Smbat Bagratuni the Victorious................593-613

first georgian ruler of Bagrationi royal house:

• BAGRATUNI
  • Vakhtang I Wolf-head...............................446-502
  • and ruled it to the end while the Bagrationis in Armenia where discontinued. itnerestignly enough, there was also a rebellion in Armenia in 481-482 led by a Bagrationi, that falls just within the rule of the first Georgian Bagrationi ruler...

Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 16:50
    Vakhtang I was a Gorgasali. The first Bagratuni king of Georgia was actually Gvaram I who ruled from 575-600 (only according to a Georgian source). And that doesnt mean much, either. The Bagratunis had many princes and prestiged family members for generations in Armenia before they actually crowned the first Bagratuni king.

And I still fail to see why the wikipedia source is being completely disregarded.

Heres another source:

"For example, in his History of Armenia Movses Khorenatsi traces the family origins of his sponsor prince Sahak Bagratuni to non-Armenian roots. However, the historical sources prove the existence of Bagratuni family in the most ancient period of the Armenian history and speak of them as aboriginal Armenians . The linguistic analysis also maintains that the name Bagarat most probably is of Indo-European origin and stems from bhaga (god) and arat (plentiful, rich), i.e. literally "divine plentitude" or "god's richness" . It is remarkable that prince Bagratuni himself rejected Khorenatsi's version of the origins of his family."

And when you mentioned the Bagratuni line being discontinued in Armenia and continued in Georgia...that doesnt prove they are Georgian. Armenian noble families would be killed all the time either by competing families or by foreign governments. This is evident throughout Armenian history:

"For example, in 705 the Arab ostikan (governor) of Armenia deceitfully invited around 800 Armenian noblemen together with their guards to Nakhichevan as if for negotiations and massacred them all . Nevertheless, some Armenian noble houses lived through this tragedy and continued their efforts to liberate the country. Some descendants of the Armenian nobility achieved high-ranking positions at foreign royal courts. For example, the offsprings of the Armenian noble house of Artzruni became influential grandees at the Georgian court. The Georgian branch of the Armenian noble family of Bagratuni was enthroned as Bagrationi and became the reigning house on Georgia."

Link:http://nobility.artsakhworld.com/Atabekian_Arm_Nobi lty_History_Eng.htm

Edit: For some reason, everytime i post a link, there is always a space somewhere in the link. Just close the spaces in the web address.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
    Georgian View Drop Down
    Immortal Guard
    Immortal Guard

Quote Georgian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:59
    OK. I'm back now I was out of town for two weeks. tomorow I will upload a maps of medieval Georgia
    Iberia Gabrckindeba!
    იბერია გაბრწყინდება!
    Georgian View Drop Down
    Immortal Guard
    Immortal Guard

Quote Georgian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 00:03
    Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Also, the Georgian alphabet was created by an Armenian
    named Mesrob Mashdots. Notice his surname does not end in -ian (he
    lived in the early 400's A.D.).

the Georgian alphabet was created by King Pharnavaz (284-219 B.C.), and not by Armenian.
    Iberia Gabrckindeba!
    იბერია გაბრწყინდება!
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 03:51
    The Georgian alphabet looks almost identical to the Armenian one. The only sources which claim King Pharnavaz as the creator of the Georgian alphabet are Georgian sources. Armenian and non-Armenian sources claim Mesrob Mashdots as the creator. I knew you were going to say King Pharnavaz, I have read Georgian sources.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
    Herekles View Drop Down
    Immortal Guard
    Immortal Guard

Quote Herekles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jun-2006 at 03:25
    i

Edited by Herekles - 26-Jun-2006 at 22:22
    Chieftain
    Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2006 at 20:59
    Originally posted by Herekles

u can look up that the alphabet of georgian does not look armenian at all

I said that the two alphabets are very similar because they had a common creator (Mesrob Mashdots). You've obviously never laid your eyes on the Armenian alphabet. As someone who is fluent in Armenian, I see a myriad of similarities between our script and the Georgian one. I have color-coded the similar characters (I didn't list everything, obviously). Take a look:

Armenian:

Georgian:

I don't have time to list all the small similarities in each letter, but you get the point. Not only are most of the letters similar, but many of them are completely identical to one another. I have no idea what you're talking about (btw, I'm showing the Old Georgian script, which is what we should be looking at, but even the modern Georgian script has a ton of similarities to the Armenian script). Just so you know the Armenian script has never been changed since its creation, so it doesn't matter which period I use; they're all the same.

I agree with much of what you said except for the alphabet and that the two families have nothing in common (they are different branches of the same family). Why do you think their names are almost identical, and that they were the ruling families of neighboring countries? As I said before the Georgian Bagratunis (or Bagrations) were full Georgians, and the only thing I said was that they were a branch of an Armenian noble family which left Armenia and settled in Georgia. After the first generation they were 100% Georgian. Armenian history books even say that Queen Tamar and David the Builder are Georgians. We're not trying to hijack your history.

Also, the Armenian Bagratunis are said to be originally Hebrews, but theres little evidence to prove that. Chances are they only said that in order to claim they are the descendents of David. Many Armenian noble families claimed to be descended of other noble families or of Biblical figures...just to give you an example, it was once a popular notion that the Armenian people were the descendents of Noah since his ark landed on Mt. Ararat. Theres not much evidence to prove anything in either case.

Also, many Georgian churches are built in the Armenian style. Take a look:

Georgian church:

Armenia's most famous church, Etchmiadzin,built in 301, and older than any Georgian church (since Georgia had not even accepted Christianity as a state religion until 30 years after this):

I see nothing but similarities. There is no denying that Georgians built many of their churches (especially the ancient ones) in the Armenian style.

Edited by ArmenianSurvival - 07-Jun-2006 at 21:12

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
    Temujin View Drop Down
    King
    King
    Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 16:13
    btu as i said previously in the thread, Bagrationis appeared first in Gerogia, also their name implicates Georgian origin, not Armenian. and all the famous Bagrationis considdered themselves Georgians.
    Burdokva View Drop Down
    Knight
    Knight

Quote Burdokva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jun-2006 at 09:33
    Are there any good books about georgian warfare, armor and weapons in the Middle Ages, apart from the pictures posted on the first page? Some more info about the architecture and culture in the region?

By the way, whats the castle behind the church in the picture above?
    Unity makes Strenght
    Datuna View Drop Down
    Samurai
    Samurai

Quote Datuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 11:39
    Armenians betrayed Vakhtang Gorgaslan,the founder of Tbilisi ,on the battle field against persians where he was murdered by Armenian throwing an arrow to him.....and in 1919 year Armenia demanded Tbilisi under their Rule and charged us without success......

As for Alphabets and church styles that's realy funny your claims.....in what century Armenian Alphabet was created?

Peter III View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Peter III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 13:56
    I was also looking for some books on medieval Georgian history. Does anyone have any titles they can reccomend?
    Philhellene View Drop Down
    Pretorian
    Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jul-2006 at 18:32
    I have a book of G. Kauhchishvili about Georgian-Byzantine relationships ("Georgian sources on Byzantine history", in *.pdf) ", but it is in Russian and Georgian. It consists of fragments of ancient Georgian historians.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>