Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Georgia in Medieval

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
KnightsofHonor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Georgia in Medieval
    Posted: 05-Feb-2014 at 17:12
Guys guys, calm down. Georgians and Armenians are friends and culturaly very close. We had some disputes in the past and not even long ago but we are still allies and friends and it should remain so.

About Bagrationi. I'm Georgian and honestly don't know what to think about that. I once even read somewhere that the Bagrationis may originate from far far away, probably Israel. If the first one was realy an Armenian, than he was Armenians. But in the end it really doesn't matter a bit. Because wherever they came from some thousand years ago, they were Georgian when they lived and ruled over Georgia because they lived as Georgians and fought for their homeland and helped it to achieve great progress over the centuries and made us the main power of the region for some periods. Even powerful enough to have vassal states further to the north and contest muslim controlled territories and even Byzantian held lands. 

To understand such disputes. Armenians must accept that Georgians certainly will have a problems with the fact that Georgian research and scripts from middle age are simply being ignored and denied by Armenian and some other historians ( who basicaly base their claims on Armenian sources ) because from our POV it is very one sided. Back then nationalism as is today was not existent as loyality was mostly based on belief and other or less ideological factors. Our language is one of the oldest and most unique language trees in the world and you can imagine why it is difficult to believe that an alphabet to that language occured not earlier than 430 AD. But again, in the end our cultures are very close anyway, the first humanoids settled into Caucasus the same time, originating from the same far away place Smile

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 10-Feb-2014 at 12:44
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2014 at 10:06
The Falcons didn't have a very good year either. Big smile
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2014 at 10:02
Originally posted by Irakli2000

Georgians and chechens are only caucasian people in caucasus. Armenians are Indo-Europeans and Azeris are altaic turkish people.

Language and Genetic are different issues

Originally posted by Irakli2000

Georgia became a chrystian 50 years earlier than Armenia and Georgian Alphabet made Georgian king Pharnavaz, not armenian Mashdots.Exclamation

Confused I have known Armenian perspective

Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
Irakli2000 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Irakli2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jan-2014 at 07:21
  Georgians and chechens are only caucasian people in caucasus. Armenians are Indo-Europeans and Azeris are altaic turkish people. Georgia became a chrystian 50 years earlier than Armenia and Georgian Alphabet made Georgian king Pharnavaz, not armenian Mashdots.Exclamation
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2012 at 15:05
Most likely influenced by either mid-eastern or Caucasian weapon design. Peoples from the regions all had similar swords. Georgian weapon smith tradition provides totaly different look, more streight swords, sabres and kinjals ( pictures 8-10 ) rather than scimitars actually. Due to great influence, the scimitar was also adopted as they were useful addition. Many these weapons were also simple booty and given to the light folk in case of war.  

However Georgian swords were of very high quality allready since 300 BC and favoured both by Greeks and Persians, especialy Persians in middle age. The folding and alloy techniques used for production were similar to that of Japanese, Chinese and Indian and made up a good equivalent to these swords. They exceeded the usual durability by far and ornated with silver embellishments, were were popular to both friend and enemy. Ornated swords allways had different pattern to be identified with their regional smith communities, as an aimed commercial. Swords in Georgia were also traditionaly used for rituals. The main source of swords for travellers and inhabitants was allways Tbilisi. Even the peoples from the mountainous regions of Georgia who themselves produced notable equipment, travelled down for tools and specificaly swords when they were to buy weapons. 

Characteristics were especialy the diversity of how the single weapon smith communities and enclaves formed their swords. It could be rigid, hard and very sharp but stiff, or flexibly elastic, light and even sharper. Yet still it had much more durability than sb can think of when seeing it the first time or compared with European swords.

So far, I would choose allways a Georgian weapon, no matter what situation. Speer, axe or sword. The metal processing was simply far superior and handled by people who had centuries if not millenias more experience than Europeans could have had by that time.

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 02-May-2012 at 12:17
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2012 at 23:59

Polish Saber, called "Ormianka"(Armenian)
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 14:59
Not my work..it is from Mr. Thayer's website.... but I am pleased to bring it to you ntl. I look forward to your updates. stay well.

CV
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 14:48
Hi

Some mighty work on Armenia there. For the Georgians, Robert Bedrosian should be the an interesting addition, as I am only focusing on my home country for now and regional writers are allways welcomed, no matter from which country. I will later expand to entire Caucasus, mainly Georgia and Armenia in the beginning and the Northern Caucasus as this seems more interesting for me in accordance to the time period. Thank you for the work Smile

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 04-Apr-2012 at 14:48
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 12:47
Reference your earlier...my apologies for not returning sooner. See the following. And your most recent pics are outstanding. I particularly enjoy the one handed ax's. All of this is courtsey of Mr. Bill Thayer and the associated links he cites. Please ensure you follow the appropriate copyright statutes.

=================================================================

A History of Armenia
by Vahan M. Kurkjian

Background

When I became interested in Armenia, mostly because of my focus on Antiquity, I discovered there was not that much historical and antiquarian material online about the country, so this is my first contribution.

The dust-jacket of the 1964 edition (for which, since my own copy is nude, I am indebted to Gerald Ottenbreit, Jr. of the Armenian Research Center at the University of Michigan-Dearborn) includes the following information on Mr. Kurkjian:

[image ALT: A photograph of a distinguished-looking old man.]

Author, teacher, and community leader, Vahan M. Kurkjian was born in Aleppo in 1863.

In 1904 Mr. Kurkjian published in Cairo, Egypt, the Armenian newspaper Loussaper (The Morning Star), in whose pages he and other noted intellectuals called for a national union for the Armenian people. The idea eventually materialized in the form of the Armenian General Benevolent Union, established in Cairo, in 1906, with Boghos Nubar, distinguished humanitarian, as founder and first president.

In 1907 he emigrated to the United States and studied law at Boston University. Two years later he founded the first American chapter of the Armenian General Benevolent Union in Boston, after which the organization spread its branches throughout the States. From its inception he has been inseparably identified with the Union, serving as its executive director until his retirement in 1939.

Mr. Kurkjian contributed countless articles to Armenian newspapers, and published a number of books and pamphlets. He died in New York City in 1961.

Vahan Kurkjian's intended audience was thus the Armenian community in the United States: he has done them a great service, as well as to anyone seeking comprehensive basic information on Armenian history; and indeed, when he wrote, there seems to have been no other general history of Armenia in English: at any rate I know of none other in the public domain that could therefore be presented online.

Caution, though, is unfortunately in order. The author is clearly not a professional historian, and his book is not a scholarly work; rather, a general text based on ill assimilated (and now dated) secondary works. To boot, the book is both disordered and not well written, and in spots very poorly; a good copy editor would have much improved it.

This short list of additional resources may therefore also prove useful:

1. General summaries of Armenian history, much briefer of course than our book:

Armeniapedia

Dennis Papazian

Tourism Armenia

Livius.Org (ancient Armenia thru 330 A.D.)

More generally, the other external sites listed on my Armenia homepage.

2. Source material online, of great benefit to the serious student of Armenian history:

Robert Bedrosian's site, a mine of excellent information on Armenian, Persian, Georgian, Turkish, and Iranian history: and specifically, detailed chronological tables and primary sources in his own English translations.

3. On ancient Armenia, an accurate, up-to‑date, scholarly book:

Amélie Kuhrt, The Ancient Near East. c. 3000‑330 B.C. (2 vols., Routledge, London and New York, 1995). Vol. I Ch. 5 is relevant to chapters V‑VI of Kurkjian; Vol. II Ch. 10 is relevant to chapters VII‑X.

Copyright, Proofreading

A History of Armenia by Vahan M. Kurkjian was first published in 1958 by the Armenian General Benevolent Union of America. The text, actually taken here from the 1964 reprinting, is in the public domain since the 1958 copyright was not renewed at the appropriate time (1985‑1986), and the work has therefore fallen into the public domain. (Details here on the copyright law involved.)

As usual, I retyped the text rather than scanning it: not only to minimize errors prior to proofreading, but as an opportunity for me to become intimately familiar with the work, an exercise which I heartily recommend. (Well-meaning attempts to get me to scan text, if successful, would merely turn me into some kind of machine: gambit declined.)

In the table of contents below, the chapters and sections are given on blue backgrounds, indicating that they have been thoroughly proofread; any red backgrounds would indicate that my transcription had not yet been proofread. The header bar at the top of each webpage will remind you with the same color scheme. In any case, should you spot an error, please do report it, of course.

The book contains 65 engravings and 28 photographs. Some of them relate directly to the text, others illustrate it only loosely; I've reproduced all of them. Since a Web transcription is not bound by the same constraints as a print edition (no need to fit in a certain slot on a printed page, for example), occasionally they're not at quite the same point in the text. The original page location is given in the name of the image.

Further details on the technical aspects of the site layout follow the Table of Contents below.

Table of Contents

Chapter
Page

I

II

III

IV

V

VI

VII

VIII

IX

X

XI

XII

XIII

XIV

XV

XVI

XVII

XVIII

XIX

XX

XXI

XXII

XXIII

XXIV

XXV

XXVI

XXVII

XXVIII

XXIX

XXX

XXXI

XXXII

XXXIII

XXXIV

XXXV

XXXVI

XXXVII

XXXVIII

XXXIX

XL

XLI

XLII

XLIII

XLIV

XLV

XLVI

XLVII

XLVIII

XLIX

Index: A‑B C‑G H‑K L‑O P‑S T‑Z

Spelling and Typographical Conventions

The 1964 printing of Kurkjian's book was very poorly proofread. I've made some few corrections: not as many as I would have liked to make — thus avoiding the slippery slope to rewriting the whole book! — but I repaired obvious errors, as well as the most distracting mispunctuations, marking with visible bullet-promptsº those worthy of note, and flagging the others in the sourcecode. Even more grating, to me, was the author's consistent capitalization of the centuries (". . . in the Eleventh Century . . ."): I tacitly restored normal usage thruout. If all these errors and quirks are finally of very little importance, correcting them does make the text more readable, and making the corrections visible serves as a reminder to the careful reader that the text as a whole is not as reliable as it could be.

There also seem to be, however, a number of typographical errors in Armenian words and proper nouns, correcting which is both more important and much harder to do. Well aware of my own limitations, I've made only those very few corrections where I felt on safe ground.

In addition to actual errors, variant spellings are a particular problem in this book. Kurkjian did not reduce his multiple sources to a single consistent system, and we thus have a frequently bewildering panoply of spellings for the same place or person, often two or even three different spellings in a single paragraph. Some of these variants are clearly due to his reliance on secondary sources in languages other than English (in particular, French); others we owe to dozens of local languages and transcription systems over several millennia of history; to different forms in Western, Eastern, and Classical Armenian; and finally others again, here too, are outright typographical errors. Yet I've refrained altogether from any attempt at homogenizing the text, not only because I'm the wrong person to be deciding on the transcription of Armenian and other Asiatic languages, but also because it will actually be useful to leave multiple spellings to be picked up by the search engines. Very occasionally, where one would like to see a standard English spelling — as in Parthian, Persian and Greek names — I've added a footnote.

Notes and Links

In addition to the author's notes, here and there I've added some of my own, mostly by way of clarification, or steering the reader to other online resources. Where a major online resource is particularly germane to an entire chapter, you'll find a link to it in the footer bar at the bottom of that page.

I am happy to acknowledge the expert help of my friend Jona Lendering, webmaster of Livius and author of several books on the ancient Middle East, in harmonizing some of Kurkjian's statements and identifications with the current scholarly consensus: at Jona's request, I haven't marked each of his individual contributions, but in general the less it looks like I could have written something, the less I probably did.

Disclaimers

I am no Armenian expert, have never been to Armenia, have no Armenian ancestry that I know of, and take only the following very general positions on Armenian questions: I have long been aware of the important historical role of Armenia and her people in Antiquity and in early Christianity, I am still horrified by the Turkish genocide of 1915 (and outraged by disingenuous claims that it didn't happen), and I feel it's a good thing for Armenia to exist as a sovereign nation.

I also have very little taste for polemics, and in general feel that there are many sides to most questions: a reminder therefore that this is just a transcription, and that the author speaks for himself. Specifically I take no sides on any of the theological points raised, on Nestorianism, Chalcedon, Monophysitism, or the Uniate movement; nor on the relative merits or otherwise of the Armenian Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and the Orthodox Churches (although I do fault their disunity for allowing the Mohammedan takeover of the Christian homeland of the Near East); nor on the identification of various ethnic or linguistic entities — i.e., the various Greek and Macedonian questions, the Indo-European question, etc.

"Albania" in this book refers to the region known as such in Antiquity, a Transcaucasian area completely unrelated to the modern country by the same name: if you are looking for information on the ancient history of the area on the Mediterranean coast now called Albania, you should be looking for "Epirus". Similarly, "Iberia" in this book refers to the Transcaucasian area roughly corresponding to the modern Republic of Georgia, and never to what is now Spain and Portugal (also known as Iberia in Antiquity, mind you).

[image ALT: An eight-pointed star flanked by birds. It is a motif associated with the Artaxiad royal dynasty of Armenia, and serves as an icon for this subsite.]

The icon I use to indicate this subsite is a colorized detail of a motif associated with the Artaxiad dynasty of Armenia, that appears on the tiara of Tigran the Great as depicted on a coin of his reproduced on p74. This same eight-pointed star flanked by birds also appears on the tiara of Artavazd II on p85.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 04-Apr-2012 at 12:51

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Apr-2012 at 08:37
ome new material on Georgian weapons of medieval times recreated by modern Georgian smiths, enjoy Wink

source:http://www.georgians-weapons.ge/

crossbow, approximatly 11th-13th century.

Advanced crossbow 13th century

Piked axe or hellbard

Weapons such as the morning star and mace were common for the ordinary soldier, uness they were not completly or iron.

Those would have been carried only by lower nobles or knights who could afford aquiring them

A nobleman's sword

royal infantry and guard sword

Common Georgians word ( note, it's not a scimitar, but they were also used )

set of different swords

One handed heavy axe, used by royal forces.

A one-hand light axe.

Even smaller size

Decorated throwing axe, most likely for nobility. 

Slashing knife was used to get around an enemy's neck.

The so called "sneaky weapons" or small defensive arms could be used to surprise the enemy at the right time and some were even designed to block mighty sword slashes.

Medium armoured torso. Without decoration, was the usual armour of a common foortman

Cavalry helmet

Lower nobility or royal cavalry helmet

Great nobility and royal helmet

( Those crusader looking steel shields were only carried by the so called Tadzreuli or "Cathedral Guard" ) which was part of the Georgian royal army, which was the elite core of the king's combined force, traditionaly numbering only up to 5-7.000 )

Decorated round steel shield, some designs were affected especialy during the early-mid rennessaince age by foreign forces like Persia.

"Tadzreuli" Torso armour set

Khevsuretian armour set ( Highland Warrior armour ). Khevsurs lived in the mountenous regions of Georgia and were both feared and respected by enemy foes, aswell as the other Georgian peoples. They were excellent fighters and were allways working on perfecting their swordsmanship. Those people only came down to lower ground to react on the king's call. One special characteristic was that they tended to wear chain armor covering the entire face.

Cavalry equipment parts

Traditional Georgian Talavari dress, dates beack from ancient times. Was mainly used in medieval times by lighter forces, such as mounted archers and skirmishing infantry in general.

Late Medieval - Rennessaince long arquebuse

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 04-Apr-2012 at 08:49
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2011 at 06:25
Hey, that would be actually a great honour.

I wish to intensify on that issue, all I lack at the momentum, is time.
I will first have to fully centralize on my studies and than after that, I will have all time in my life. Smile
Caucasus is one of the most interesting chapters in mankind's history.

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 27-Apr-2011 at 06:26
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 17:11
I smell a book in you. Get busy.

You write it...I'll buy it.

Thumbs Up

S. T. Friedman

Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 16:52
I'll fight with them.Smile

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 09:21
Hm, the website seems to be down. I have no access to it. What does it include ?

I started thinking about a possible formation of a Georgian Medieval Army.

Let us say, it consists of 20.000 Georgians, including 5.000 missile troops, 2.000 medium, heavy and bow cavalry, 12.000 guard units, regional swordsmen ( Khevsuretians, hospitalers ( Tadzreuili ) etc ), spearmen and some local garrison units.
That would be the core of an army which maybe is some 30.000 - 40.000 ( the very maximum ) in total strenght.  

A possible roster of mid XI to late XV century   

Leadership:
King
Eristavi High Administrative Nobility.
Aznauri High Nobles
Aznauri Low Nobles

Cavalry:
Monaspa Royal Guard - ( heavy cavalry elite, guard unit )
Tadzreuli Knights - ( heavy cavalry, hospitaler analoge )
Royal Lancers - ( medium cavalry )
Regional Cavalry - ( medium cavalry )
Renegade Marbieli - ( medium cavalry )
Moisarta Light Cavalry / Light Cavalry - ( bow cavalry )
Kipchak Cavalry - ( mixed )

Infantry:
Royal Chukcheb Guard - ( heavy bardiche carriers and sword fighters, guard unit )
Mephis Msakhurni ( king's guard legendery unit, around 300 servants ) - ( heavily armoured spearmen elite, guard unit )
Monaspa Infantry - ( heavy infantry ) 
Mixed Foe; Bardiche, Helbard, Double-axe, Pike ( comparably lower amount ), Two-Hand Morningstar Carriers - ( heavy infantry )
Tadzreuli Hospitalers - ( heavy infantry )
Khevsuretian Warriors - ( unique highlander community, heavy infantry )
Regional Chainmail Infantry trained on sword and shield ( medium Infantry )
Shubosnebi spearmen - ( light Infantry )

Archer units:
Mkhedrioni ( experienced elite )
Crossbowmen
Regional Archers

Guard units were allways equipped with spears or bardiches as primary and Georgian style scimitars as secondary weapon. Sometimes mounted Guard units also had composite bows.

Here is a list of weapons used by Georgian soldiers during the Medieval age:

Georgian Medieval Waepons - Primary, Secondary, Missile

Georgians were considered mastersmiths of weapons since ancient times. The Kartvelian tribes had mastered unique and not seen techniques of metal processing, probably the very first of it's kind. Greek chronicles give important indications and evidence of technical achievements witnessed.

Edited by KnightsofHonor - 26-Apr-2011 at 11:00
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2011 at 04:50
You might find this interesting...it's dated but was once well read.
Be sure you take note of the editor's comments... as he points out... that this is a laymans efforts not one of precise historiography.

Edited by Centrix Vigilis - 26-Apr-2011 at 04:54

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Apr-2011 at 18:32
Thank you Sir !

From what I know of early reading, Georgians and Armenians were considered excellent Archers and Georgian besides their spear fighting skills also as very fast and stunning experts with all the different sword types. There were units decicively trained on those techniques and I of course doubt that every single farmer must have known how to fight in that way. Having good experience with bows, I believe that a good portion consisted of highly skilled archers on foot and bow cavalry. Due to my trip through different museams and pictures of Russian, Georgian, British etc museums about Georgi, the Georgians seemed to have also huge variaty of additinal close combat weapons
Emperor
Emperor

Quote Centrix Vigilis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2011 at 18:13
Well we welcome you aboard and look forward to more insightful posting.
Thanks

S. T. Friedman

Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote KnightsofHonor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Apr-2011 at 17:45
First of all

Hello. I was searching myself for a medieval Georgian army on the net and found this neet little forum. I will make an own concept considering given material.

Hm, I came across some interesting comments and I do not agree on a few things, which are: the supposed Armenian origin of the Georgian alphabet ala Mashtot, some kind of Iranian connection to the Bagratuni and Bagrationi dynasies and that that Georgia was NOT the strongest christian nation in the east.

Not that anyone has anything against a plausible answer of how the Georgian alphabet was born, but when there are monuments found which are way elder than some other scripts. including Armenian  and Georgian monks do teach us that the alphabet was created by other people .... than you just have to believe it. The same problem with the wine chambers and grapes. When someone finds evidences of winery taking place some 7000 years ago and than the other one finds an entire wine chamber which is allmost 5000 years old, the last guy can't claim that his wine is older than the others. It is elemental logic. If you follow that logic, everything will become plausible. When there were grape sorts allready used 7000 years ago .... than a few hundred years later, the people must have improved their techniques and chambered all the production, like we do nowdays. So simple is this. If people would keep their nationaistic heart beating out of action, everything would for guarantee be all fine.

Well, Georgian armies back then allways did more then their best to achieve victories against foes sometimes 4-7 times their size. How many kinds of coalitions did Georgia defeat and force on their knees ? Plenty. It came so far, that it was asked from every single Ottoman ruler, to invade Georgia and his rating would be dependet on the result of a war with Georgia and the booties + slaves brought from that country.

Mongolians did rush through Georgia like tourists in a bus, but they did the same with the Russians and the muslims did the same to half of Europe. I think it is pretty fair.Georgia was not able anymore to hold the line against infinite human ressources but still stood up and made itself free by rebellions and uprisings. You allways have to consider how small that country actually is ........ Georgia was never able to field more than 30-45.000 men with auxilia cavalry and hired foreign troops.

Georgian Infantry was widely know for the mastering of spear techniques. I would even dare to claim that there were more spearmen than swordsmen, or maybe a lot of spears but mixed equipement. There were many types of soldier classes and te cavalry was pretty effective.But Georgia's main core of succesful military capmgain allways relied on the well trained Infantry.
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Sep-2008 at 05:36
Originally posted by Georgian

I think that Georgia is the one of the strongers kingdom of east europe in Medieval.
(I think so and you?)

Which century are you talking about?  The Mongols under Chepe Noyon and Sabotai Bahadur went thru Georgia like a hot knife thru butter.  (circa 1220-21)

Cap
aeon View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote aeon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2008 at 22:01
The Georgian state itself was founded by Persians/Iranians. The names of all the early kings of Georgia are Iranian. The most famous Georgian dynasty Bagrationi was also of Iranian origin, its name is Iranian (from Bagadat, God-given in Iranian).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>