Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vikings and Finns??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vikings and Finns??
    Posted: 19-Nov-2005 at 17:28

We all know that vikings traveled far as turky but why did they not travel or made trade routes in finland. i'v had a history leason in school and they told about the viking trade routes in all eu countries but they did not talk about finns??

finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland. 

Edited by rapala
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 01:46
You may want to read the excellent article in the AE main site:

http://www.allempires.com/article/index.php?q=Viking_Age_F inland

Also the topic was adressed in another thread not long ago: http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5136& ;PN=2

Edited by Maju

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 04:02
Originally posted by rapala

finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they notmake trade routes in finland.

Basicly because the Finns didn't have anything the Scandinavians couldn't have gotten at home. Vikings occasionally did capture slaves in Finland though, to sell at the markets in the south.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Kynsi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kynsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:03
I dint quite get the point?
Didnt the eastern trade route go through the Gulf of Finland?

Regardless of Styrbiorn's quite hmm.. 1930' view point(fan of Axel Olof Freudenthal? )
Isnt it quite an axiom that there was trading between neighbor peoples?
If you keep one eye on the past then you are blind in one eye, but if you
forget the past then you are blind in both eyes -old russian saying
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:06
Originally posted by Kynsi

Regardless of Styrbiorn's quite hmm.. 1930' view point(fan of Axel Olof Freudenthal? )

12th century point of view perhaps   
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:16

Iv read the viking age finland thing, but the guy who wrote it is wrong becous the ''finnic tribal warior'' looks like a swedish viking so why should finns wear the same clothes as vikings when they did not make trade routes.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2837& ;PN=2

Edited by rapala
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:21
They did trade of course, I see now that my last reply indicates the opposite. The large routs were to other places though.
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:43

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

They did trade of course, I see now that my last reply indicates the opposite. The large routs were to other places though.

I dont think they did any trade routes there.

http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~atlas/europe/static/map16.html

Edited by rapala
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 12:46
First, Viking is just the name of the non-friendly version of Scandinavian sea-farer, while the routes were used by Vikings and merchants alike.
The map shows some suggested large routes, but imagine all the smaller ones where traders went from port to port. They can't put in all possible sailing routes on such a map.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 15:28
Norse people and Finns did have close contact with each other during the Viking age. Finland is mentioned on rune stones, and norse artifacts were common in finish graves
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 06:00

Originally posted by Mangudai

Norse people and Finns did have close contact with each other during the Viking age. Finland is mentioned on rune stones, and norse artifacts were common in finish graves

lol i had a year about vikings in my school and still they did not mentioned finns.

Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 08:50
There is a saga from the 10th century, it tells about a Viking expedition into Tavastia. It failed miserably, because the Finns always managed to evacuate the villages which the Vikings came close to. The Finns also harassed the Viking boats by shooting at them from the safety of the shore. But Finns also had had friendly connections with Vikings even before the Carolingian period.

I've found out aswell that people in Finland are not well aware of the time before Swedish rule, it is as important as any other era. Sad......
Istun kylmll kivell
Sammaleella kostealla
Puiden oksain suojaamina
Aistin aikain vahvat voimat
Olen tll onnellinen
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2005 at 12:16

Originally posted by Kuu-ukko

I've found out aswell that people in Finland are not well aware of the time before Swedish rule, it is as important as any other era. Sad......

i dont live in finland i study in sweden becous my parents moved there when i was 3...

btw many swedish people dont know mutch about finland i think thats why they did not mention the finns.

Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 05:12
How long were vikings part of Danish, Norwegian and Swedish kings's armies?
Some historians say that last viking army was defeated in Stamfordbridge battle 1066 by Anglo-Saxon king Edvard.

Edited by axeman
Jorsalfar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Jorsalfar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 10:39

The Anglo-Saxon king was Harold Godwinson.

Even after 1066 Britain was still raided by Scandinavians for some decades.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 13:57
Originally posted by axeman

Some historians say that last viking army was defeated in Stamfordbridge battle 1066 by Anglo-Saxon king Edvard.

If I remember right: the last Danish invasion of England was in the one led by king Sven's brother Asbjrn in 1069 and was bought of by William the Conqueror, while the last Norwegians attack on the Gaelic parts of the British isles ended with king Magnus Barelegs' death on Ireland in 1103 after having taken the South isles (dunno what they're called in English really) from the Scottish king.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 14:50

Originally posted by axeman

Scandinavian viking-age equipment like "viking swords", battle-axes and round shields were used in some parts of Scandinavia well into the 13th century, although mounted knights appeared in the early 12th century. In Denmark the military development went fast, whereas in the more remote, sparesly populated and poorer Norway and Sweden the development was naturally slower, and feudal cavalry never became as important as in western Europe. Instead peasant levies with spearmen, archers and axemen were more common, much like during the Viking Age. In Norway the Kongshirden - "The King's guard" originating from the viking-age - was kept into the late 14th century, although their equipment followed the time. In Sweden and Norway the viking-age fleet-organisation known as ledungen was still around in the early 14th century

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 12:40

Rapala wrote:

"finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland." 

They DID but finnish shore wasn't their main destination. There was a big trading root leading from the lake Malaren (from Birka and then Sigtuna) by the Alands, by the finnish coast and then by the Neva to the lake Ladoga.Then - by Wolhow
and so on - to the south. It goes without saying that they had to make several stops on their way; they made bases in the places that turned out to be the best for this aim and after some time these bases could evaluate into little local trading towns. Some of them have existed up to nowadays.  Some vikings(quite a large number) didn't wish to make a long and dangerous journey to the Black Sea and traded in Old Ladoga and in Novgorod (In Novgorod there existed a permanent Scandinavian Court for the merchants and travellers that came from Scand. lands).

arsenka
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 21:45
Originally posted by rapala

We all know that vikings traveled far as turky but why did they not travel or made trade routes in finland. i'v had a history leason in school and they told about the viking trade routes in all eu countries but they did not talk about finns??

finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland.

It was not Turkey then. The Vikings came before the Turks invaded the area and it was Anatolia and part of what we call the Byzantine Empire. I could not pass this up because I am half Greek and my Papoo's (Grandfathers) family came from E. Thrace or present day Turkey.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 03:44
Finns unfortunately become christians,they have no history yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>