Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vikings and Finns??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Valhalla View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Valhalla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vikings and Finns??
    Posted: 01-Feb-2014 at 10:10
Vikings did go to Finland, and they had many battles there, but Finns usually won the battles.
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 10:51
Of course there were scandinavian settlers in Finland, just like there were Finnic settlers (and natives) in Sweden. They were simply assimilated rather quickly. land of course became largely Scandinavian during the viking age.
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 06:58
Originally posted by Northman

Could you tell me the difference between vikings, lived on the teritory of Finland, Sweden and Norway?I know that they were very brave sailors - they cross the Atlantic, sailed in the Medeterranean, fought as Bysantian mercenaries away from their raida on the French and British coast.

To my knowledge, there are no evidence of Finns as Vikings - but surely there was contact between Finns and Vikings.

A laymans (me) brief summary on Vikings...

First of all, The Vikings were more than just a bunch of raiding pirates.
They also were venturesome seafarers, farmers, settlers and great ambassadors of the nordic culture.
From Scandinavia they spread through Europe and the North Atlantic in the period of vigorous Scandinavian expansion (AD 800-1100) known as the Viking Age. 
From Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, they appeared as traders, conquerors, and settlers in Finland, Russia, Byzantium, France, England, the Netherlands, Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland in Canada. 

Centuries before the Viking Age, such tribes as the Cimbrians, Goths, Vandals, Burgundians, and Angles had been wandering out of Scandinavia.

The word Viking is not, as many believes, the name for all the people living in Scandinavia in that period, but only for the "pirates".

Furthermore, 'Vik' is the norse expression for bay, and the expression was originally used for the seafares or more accurate, used for what they did. To say - He went in viking that summer, or laid in Viking, would be a more correct use of the term.

The Vikings were different because they were sea warriors and because they carried with them a civilization that was in some ways more highly developed than those of the lands they visited. The also had good skills in trading and organizing. Trading cities such as Birka and Hedeby appeared, and became the centers of strong local kingdoms.

How far and where did they venture?
The Danes and Norwegians went westward and south, and for a period most of England was under the Danish Kingdom. The vast area of England called Danelaw or Danelagen still has numerous places and cities founded and named by the Vikings.
A huge fleet of mostly danish Vikings conquered Paris - and a chieftain (Rollo) was given a large area or duchy of France to protect it from other raiders - that area was subsequently called Normandy, Land of the Norsemen.

Norwegian Vikings were most explorative - they came to Iceland and from there they went on to establish several settlements in Greenland and Leif Ericson (Leif the Happy), son of Eric the Red, went on to what he called Vinland which we know as America today.
A settlement was excavated in the 1960's - a place on the coast of New Foundland, L'ance aux Meadows.

The Swedes went East.
The northeastern Slavic tribes called the Swedes 'The Rus-people' (from the Swedish area "Rus- or Roslagen"), and these Vikings were asked to rule the land of the tribes and by uniting the cities and areas of Novgorod and Kijev they founded Rus-land - Russia. 
Through the rivers of Russia they ventured as far as the Caspian Sea and longer. 

Much more could be told - but I'm way off topic already. I'll stop my rampling...

Iv had a history leason there i live in sweden about vikings but they did not mentioned finns in the whole history leason.

I think there was no vikings in finnish lands, don't know why.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 05:56

Could you tell me the difference between vikings, lived on the teritory of Finland, Sweden and Norway?I know that they were very brave sailors - they cross the Atlantic, sailed in the Medeterranean, fought as Bysantian mercenaries away from their raida on the French and British coast.

To my knowledge, there are no evidence of Finns as Vikings - but surely there was contact between Finns and Vikings.

A laymans (me) brief summary on Vikings...

First of all, The Vikings were more than just a bunch of raiding pirates.
They also were venturesome seafarers, farmers, settlers and great ambassadors of the nordic culture.
From Scandinavia they spread through Europe and the North Atlantic in the period of vigorous Scandinavian expansion (AD 800-1100) known as the Viking Age. 
From Norway, Sweden, and Denmark, they appeared as traders, conquerors, and settlers in Finland, Russia, Byzantium, France, England, the Netherlands, Iceland, Greenland and Newfoundland in Canada. 

Centuries before the Viking Age, such tribes as the Cimbrians, Goths, Vandals, Burgundians, and Angles had been wandering out of Scandinavia.

The word Viking is not, as many believes, the name for all the people living in Scandinavia in that period, but only for the "pirates".

Furthermore, 'Vik' is the norse expression for bay, and the expression was originally used for the seafares or more accurate, used for what they did. To say - He went in viking that summer, or laid in Viking, would be a more correct use of the term.

The Vikings were different because they were sea warriors and because they carried with them a civilization that was in some ways more highly developed than those of the lands they visited. The also had good skills in trading and organizing. Trading cities such as Birka and Hedeby appeared, and became the centers of strong local kingdoms.

How far and where did they venture?
The Danes and Norwegians went westward and south, and for a period most of England was under the Danish Kingdom. The vast area of England called Danelaw or Danelagen still has numerous places and cities founded and named by the Vikings.
A huge fleet of mostly danish Vikings conquered Paris - and a chieftain (Rollo) was given a large area or duchy of France to protect it from other raiders - that area was subsequently called Normandy, Land of the Norsemen.

Norwegian Vikings were most explorative - they came to Iceland and from there they went on to establish several settlements in Greenland and Leif Ericson (Leif the Happy), son of Eric the Red, went on to what he called Vinland which we know as America today.
A settlement was excavated in the 1960's - a place on the coast of New Foundland, L'ance aux Meadows.

The Swedes went East.
The northeastern Slavic tribes called the Swedes 'The Rus-people' (from the Swedish area "Rus- or Roslagen"), and these Vikings were asked to rule the land of the tribes and by uniting the cities and areas of Novgorod and Kijev they founded Rus-land - Russia. 
Through the rivers of Russia they ventured as far as the Caspian Sea and longer. 

Much more could be told - but I'm way off topic already. I'll stop my rampling...

rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by King Kaloian of all Bulgarians

There were no vikings who lived in the finnish teritory what iv heard.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2006 at 04:09

edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Apr-2006 at 08:26
Originally posted by Bosniathebestcountry

There was no viking state, or republic, or country, or empire ever in the balkan regions. Maybe thats why we never discussed them. Vikings were mostly around northern and western europe. They never had much of an impact in eastern and southern.

You have a puzzling education system. There were no Persians or Mongols in Canada, but we learned about them.
wilpuri View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote wilpuri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Apr-2006 at 12:19
Originally posted by rapala

We all know that vikings traveled far as turky but why did they not travel or made trade routes in finland. i'v had a history leason in school and they told about the viking trade routes in all eu countries but they did not talk about finns??

finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland. 

Trade contacts between Scandinavia and Finland were strong during the Late Iron Age, and it is witnessed in the wealth of finds. I think that the reason why Finland is not mentioned, because there were no grand trade centres compared to those further to the south and east, but to think that there was no trade is absurd. South Western Finland (inahbited by the Finns) had very strong contacts to Swedish trade centres, Sigtuna, Birka, etc. Finland also had contacts much further down, as the finds Frankish Ulfberth swords are more numerous in Finland than in Sweden or Denmark. The Tavasts had important trade centres around the Kokemki area (Telja/Telj was a significant market town) and a viking-style (but Tavastian) trade station has been uncovered in Varikonniemi. These trade stations were often some distance from settlements, because of the ever present risk of raiding parties. There were also prehistoric trade routes over land, such as Hmeen Hrktie,which ran from the heartlands of Tavastia (Vanaja) down to Finland-proper and to Turku and the Aurajoki valley. There might also have been another prehistoric road, although there is debate about the date of its construction, called Hiidentie, which runs from Vanaja to the southern coast.

If you are interested, the information is there, not perhaps very easy to come by, but its there. Just last weekend I got myself a very detailed book about ancient Tavastia from the library, published by Hmeen Heimokrjt, and it contains the work of many respected historians.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2006 at 01:35
And Normans... or Varangians of Rus? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 20:33
The only thing from childhood that i remember before i came to the us that ive seen and resembles some sort of a viking barbarian was the movie Conan the barbarian, lol. Seriously in 6th grade in bosnia before i came to the US in our history class we started from the cave man almost untill Napoleon (and then i came to america), we never once really mentioned the vikings. There was no viking state, or republic, or country, or empire ever in the balkan regions. Maybe thats why we never discussed them. Vikings were mostly around northern and western europe. They never had much of an impact in eastern and southern.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 12:55

Its kind of strange i never even heard of the vikings untill i came to the U.S. Ive heard of the mongols, the turks, the romans. but never the vikings. seems like bosnian people never really had much contanct with the vikings so theyre not even mentioned in schools. Im kind of surprised to hear that they were in southern europe as far as greece!

i never even heard of the united states till i joined the forum !
come on, you never heared of the vikings , the scourge of the humanity , thor's hammer ?
where do you lived before ? the mongols ? this munchkins ,who were riding with likewise horses ,eat rawish meat. romans ,this mollycoddled weaklings, infested and unfertile of their leaded drinking cups ? turks, don't want to say anything about them ,cause they are still existing ,what is their only great accomplishment.

Edited by ulrich von hutten

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 12:12

Its kind of strange i never even heard of the vikings untill i came to the U.S. Ive heard of the mongols, the turks, the romans. but never the vikings. seems like bosnian people never really had much contanct with the vikings so theyre not even mentioned in schools. Im kind of surprised to hear that they were in southern europe as far as greece!

You would have heard at least of the Normans, who ruled southern Italy and made incursions into Albania and Greece, apart of the Crusades... these weren't the genuine Vikings but a French offshot of them.

But it's curious you have never heard of the Vikings anyhow...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 07:32

Vikings served in the Varangian Guard of the Greek Byzantine empire, so will have operated throughout the Balkans and modern day Turkey. No reason to think they didnt campaign at some point in Bosnia also, the most famous Varangian is surely Harald Hardrada, King of Norway who was killed in battle at Stamford bridge in 1066.

I'm not sure what exact period Norsemen were the dominant group within the guard, I know at some point they were almost entirely Englishmen/Anglo-Saxons. Though this was some time after the guard was founded.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:32
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 17:31

Originally posted by Tanel

Finns unfortunately become christians,they have no history yet

well that explains why nobody knows about viking relationship with finns.

Kynsi View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kynsi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 09:56
Originally posted by Tanel

Eeh? Can you please elaborate.
If you keep one eye on the past then you are blind in one eye, but if you
forget the past then you are blind in both eyes -old russian saying
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 03:44
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 21:45
Originally posted by rapala

We all know that vikings traveled far as turky but why did they not travel or made trade routes in finland. i'v had a history leason in school and they told about the viking trade routes in all eu countries but they did not talk about finns??

finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland.

It was not Turkey then. The Vikings came before the Turks invaded the area and it was Anatolia and part of what we call the Byzantine Empire. I could not pass this up because I am half Greek and my Papoo's (Grandfathers) family came from E. Thrace or present day Turkey.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 12:40

Rapala wrote:

"finland is closer sweden than turky so why did they not make trade routes in finland." 

They DID but finnish shore wasn't their main destination. There was a big trading root leading from the lake Malaren (from Birka and then Sigtuna) by the Alands, by the finnish coast and then by the Neva to the lake Ladoga.Then - by Wolhow
and so on - to the south. It goes without saying that they had to make several stops on their way; they made bases in the places that turned out to be the best for this aim and after some time these bases could evaluate into little local trading towns. Some of them have existed up to nowadays.  Some vikings(quite a large number) didn't wish to make a long and dangerous journey to the Black Sea and traded in Old Ladoga and in Novgorod (In Novgorod there existed a permanent Scandinavian Court for the merchants and travellers that came from Scand. lands).

arsenka
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 14:50

Originally posted by axeman

How long were vikings part of Danish, Norwegian and Swedish kings's armies?
Some historians say that last viking army was defeated in Stamfordbridge battle 1066 by Anglo-Saxon king Edvard.

Scandinavian viking-age equipment like "viking swords", battle-axes and round shields were used in some parts of Scandinavia well into the 13th century, although mounted knights appeared in the early 12th century. In Denmark the military development went fast, whereas in the more remote, sparesly populated and poorer Norway and Sweden the development was naturally slower, and feudal cavalry never became as important as in western Europe. Instead peasant levies with spearmen, archers and axemen were more common, much like during the Viking Age. In Norway the Kongshirden - "The King's guard" originating from the viking-age - was kept into the late 14th century, although their equipment followed the time. In Sweden and Norway the viking-age fleet-organisation known as ledungen was still around in the early 14th century

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>