Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Large Settlement of Early Bronze Age found in Armenia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Settlement of Early Bronze Age found in Armenia
    Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 10:56

Armenians Find Large Ancient Settlement of Early Bronze Age

Near the village of Tsakhkasar, archaeologists got on the tracks of an ancient settlement of the Early Bronze Age referring the Archaeological Culture Kur-Araks.

ArCnews, 16 November 2005 -- On the western slopes of Aragats, near the village of Tsakhkasar, archaeologists got on the tracks of an ancient settlement of the Early Bronze Age (the fourth millenium BC) referring the Archaeological Culture Kur-Araks. Director of the Institute of Archaeology and Ethnography of the Armenian National Academy of Sciences, Aram Kalantaryan, told ARMINFO. The monument is unique for its unprecedented scale of an ancient settlement. It occupies a territory of about 100 ha, while the Kur Araks lowland towns are known to occupy not more than 10 ha. The settlement was surrounded with cyclopean fortress. Archaeologists have excavated a 300 sq/m ancient cultural layer so far and found a unique bronze reaping-hook. Unfortunately, irrigation canals were laid there yet in 1930, which has partially damaged the monument.

Kalantaryan said that an Armenian-American joint expedition near the village of Gegharot, on the northern slope of Aragats, found another unique monument of the Late Bronze Age - a sanctuary of the 15th-12th centuries BC. He called the find `a real fount of the ancient material culture of Armenia`. The sanctuary is unique for the latest such complex found by archaeologists in the village of Metsamor belonged to later period. Archaeologists found a woman`s breast bronze decoration and semiprecious stones, including a cut rock crystal.

Kalantaryan also informed ARMINFO of another find, an ancient pagan temple of Antic Age on the bank of the Araks near the ancient town of Artashat. Archaeologists suppose it was the very temple the Armenian chroniclers Movses Khorenatsi and Agatangeghos wrote about in their works on Grigor Lusavorich. Kalantaryan expressed satisfaction that for the first time since the independence of Armenia the state budget for 2006 envisages funds for archaeological excavations. While, the present season was partially financed from the governmental reserve fund.

http://www.chn.ir/en/news/?id=5945&section=2

I always thought that the Karni temple was the only pagan temple left after the Armenia converted to Christianity.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:26
That's not a mere settlement: it is a city. And, if it is from the 4th milennium is among the early cities of the world. Before Egypt.

Very interesting. I would like to know more.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 11:52

I wonder what made them leave the city. Earthquakes? Invasions?

The temple found near Artashat might have been one of the remains of the ancient capital of the same name (Artaxata in Latin). The rest of the city was supposedly destroyed during a Persian invasion. Note that Aratashat doesn't have anything to do with that other city.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 02:49
The Kuro-Araxes Culture, itself was quite expansive.  It flourished from about 4000 BC to about 2300 BC.  By about 3500 BC it expanded into eastern Turkey, Syria, northernmost Mesopotamia and even into Iran from Transcaucasia.  It virtually put a stop to the Uruk Expansion which came from southern Mesopotamia, as archaeological data shows that where outposts and garrisons of southern Mesopotamian (Uruk) origin were established in the same regions of Kuro-Araxes expansion, the succeeding levels were of Kuro-Araxes origin.  Theories abound as to the ethnic identity of the Kuro-Araxes people, but the most attractive is that the Kuro-Araxes people were Hurrians with some Indo-European influence.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 05:14
Thanks, Sharrukin. Very interesting. It's a culture I hadn't heard before about. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 09:58
Yes, at first it through me off as to what Artaxiad meant by "Archaeological Culture Kur-Araks" until I finally recalled something written by Mallory.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 16:37
Artaxiad, would you happen to have pictures of the site?

A great find to rival Egypt and Mesopotamia as the oldest sites of civilization

Originally posted by Artaxiad

I always thought that the Karni temple was the only pagan temple left after the Armenia converted to Christianity.

So did I, although many churches in Armenia were built on the foundations of Pagan temples. But that trend is evident in many countries.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply