Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Vikings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
PrznKonectoid View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote PrznKonectoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Vikings
    Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 17:52

some of my friends are doing a project on vikings and they need a lot of info so I was wondering if we have any avid Viking historians that could help us out.

Also pics of viking warriors would be great.

Thnx

Want to know more on ancient Iran?
http://www.parsaworld.com
or join our forums
FORUM
Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 20:09
I can tell you a bit about the men who came to raid Britain,they were called Northmen (the Danes),the northern english monks who suffered the most under the Northmen never called them Vikings.viking is an activity not a people or a tribe,to go Viking meant to go raiding.
The raids on the christian church is well documented but i wouldnt believe all of it,some sources are very late (13th century chronicle,Roger of wendover).
but a lot of the Great monastries did dissapear ,but i think of this as more of the Danes trying to eradicate saxon culture rather than a direct attack on the Christian relion.
Ivar the boneless and his brothers Ubba and Halfdan are well worth researching,they nearly carved out a new Kingdom for the danes (with guthrums help,of course).
Good luck in your study's
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2005 at 07:41

Viking warrior:

Norse nobleman:

Norse woman:

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Crownshelm View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Crownshelm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 03:35
You should be able to find some good books at your local library. Wikipedia (www.wikipedia.com) may have some useful articles as well. A lot of 'viking history' books I've looked at were annoyingly simple, but there are a few good ones out there. Just look for the thick ones, they tend to have the most details

"Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long"
by Martin Luther
Svantoretro View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2006 at 19:09
I highly recommend "The Viking Answer Lady" (do a google search).
 Post Reply Post Reply