Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who were the Etruscans?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who were the Etruscans?
    Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 23:04
Most scholars believe that they didn't speak an Indo-European Language like most people from Asia Minor and Europe.Where did they come from?Is there a clue,for even their architecture is hard to decipher as to who they were?

In Honor
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 00:31
This previous thread may give you some answers you want.

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3194&PN= 3
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 01:50
These are another several threads on Etruscans, their genetics and origins:
Enjoy

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 07:24

Originally posted by Maju

Turks and Etruscans are Troyan

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 08:20
Originally posted by Ellinas

Turks and Etruscans are Troyan

I just wrote that there is a topic titled that way. I didn't start it and I think the title is awful. Something like Etruscans could be originary from the Aegean would be much better. Still the topic is interesting: the paper that opens it is a genetic study that find that ancient Etruscans (aristocrats) have significatively more "Anatolian" genes than modern Tuscans, what by itself is an interesting fact because there are two theories on Etruscan origins: that they were "native" to Italy or that they came from Anatolia or the Aegean.

Of course Turk culture and language has nothing to do with Etruscans or Trojans, only genes do.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
LEGATVS LEGIONIS View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote LEGATVS LEGIONIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 03:44
according to an old mith that i've read when i was a kid, they came from the anatolic peninsula: at the end, according to another mith, rome was built by some troyans and at the beginning of the roman history, when the kings ruled Rome, 3 Kings were Etruscans;by the way Rome was built by Etruscans who were really important at the beginning of the roman history----> i think there's an echo of the real origin of the etruscan people in that mith: maybe The Etruscans came from Anatolia but nobody can be sure of that at the moment
Hosti non solum dandam esse viam ad fugiendum, sed etiam muniendam!
(Publius Cornelius Scipio 'Africanus')

Si vis pacem para bellum!
Ellinas View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ellinas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 05:46

I just wrote that there is a topic titled that way. I didn't start it and I think the title is awful. Something like Etruscans could be originary from the Aegean would be much better. Still the topic is interesting: the paper that opens it is a genetic study that find that ancient Etruscans (aristocrats) have significatively more "Anatolian" genes than modern Tuscans, what by itself is an interesting fact because there are two theories on Etruscan origins: that they were "native" to Italy or that they came from Anatolia or the Aegean.

Of course Turk culture and language has nothing to do with Etruscans or Trojans, only genes do.

My big surprise was when I heard about Turks being of Trojan origin. I can't have a clear opinion about Etruscans because I never researched on them.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 06:43
Originally posted by Ellinas

My big surprise was when I heard about Turks being of Trojan origin. I can't have a clear opinion about Etruscans because I never researched on them.

The take a look at that topic. Not that they were Trojans in the literal meaning of the world but in some wider pre-Greek Aeagean sense. "Pelasgians" if you wish. This is pretty likely.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 16:56

Well, firstly think of what Thukydides said while speaking of the population of Akte (IV, 109),  "... the majority are Pelasgian, of the Tyrrhenian race that once lived in Lemnos and Athens".

Then think of what Herodotos says about Pelasgians "the Athenians expelled the Pelasgians, who went to Lemnos, whence they waged war on Athens"

And about their language :

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atex t%3A1999.01.0126;query=chapter%3D%2357;layout=;loc=1.56.1

"LVII. What language the Pelasgians spoke I cannot say definitely. But if one may judge by those that still remain of the Pelasgians who live above the Tyrrheni1 in the city of Creston--who were once neighbors of the people now called Dorians, and at that time inhabited the country which now is called Thessalian-- [2] and of the Pelasgians who inhabited Placia and Scylace on the Hellespont, who came to live among the Athenians, and by other towns too which were once Pelasgian and afterwards took a different name: if, as I said, one may judge by these, the Pelasgians spoke a language which was not Greek. [3] If, then, all the Pelasgian stock spoke so, then the Attic nation, being of Pelasgian blood, must have changed its language too at the time when it became part of the Hellenes. For the people of Creston and Placia have a language of their own in common, which is not the language of their neighbors; and it is plain that they still preserve the manner of speech which they brought with them in their migration into the places where they live."

So from both accounts there is historical evidence about pelasgian people - of the tyrrhenian race as Thucydides says - living in Athens and Lemnos.

Secondly think of the Lemnos stele. Its written in the same language - possibly as experts claim, a different dialect - and there you have your archaeological evidence.

Furthermore i paste an interesting theory from J. Faucounau, claiming that:

"The "Proto-Etruscans" were the first coastal inhabitants of
the Northern part of the Aegean Gulf. They were primitively settled in
Chalcidike and in the islands like Thasos, Samothrake and Lemnos. When
the Proto-Ionians arrived in the Aegean with a superior armament,
their territories became more or less Proto-Ionian "colonies", where
the Proto-Ionians recruted slaves and/or mercenaries. Athens being at
the origin a "Proto-Ionian city", there is no surprise to find there
c.500 BC a remnant "Pelasgian/Tyrrhenian" population , expelled to
Lemnos (its original country) by the "100% Greek Athenians" at that
time. It is not surprising neither to find the same "mercenaries" in
the other cities which were once "Proto-Ionian", in particular near
Egypt, where the Proto-Ionians installed a few "ports of call" since
the time of the VIth Egyptian Dynasty, and on the Libyan coast.
Intimely impregnated with the Greek Civilization, these
"Proto-Etruscan mercenaries" finished, a millenium later and after the
"Great 1200 BC Catastrophe", to conquer for themselves a part of the
Italian coast, where they became "Etruscans"..."

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 11:27
I remember reading on Wiki that Etruscan may have been related to Minoan, so an Aegean origin sounds correct. The pre-Etruscans were probably remainant populations of the pre-IE population of Greece that Joined the ranks of the Sea Peoples aloong with the Mycenean Greeks and the Minoans during the Greek Dark Ages when the Dorian Greeks came knocking. The Etruscans were also significantly less patriarchal then thier Latin neighbors, another possible Minoan connection

Edited by Odin
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Apr-2006 at 20:31
The Etruscans definitively look somehow Minoan but they can be from some other Aegean nation of that time. The only remnant of Aegean Etrsucans was in Lemnos, which is just off where Troy once stood. They could also be from some other region of Anatolia (Lydia, Bithinia) or even the coastal region of the Balcans.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maljkovic View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Maljkovic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 07:05
I've read about a theory that they were from central Europe, from which they escaped the invading Indo-Europeans into Italy.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2006 at 12:18
Originally posted by Maljkovic

I've read about a theory that they were from central Europe, from which they escaped the invading Indo-Europeans into Italy.

Archaeological link?

Genetics point to Anatolia/Aegean anyhow, and so do their culture, sailing abilities and presence in Lemnos.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply