Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Court Backs Turkish Headscarf Ban
    Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 23:26
Turkey can ban Islamic headscarves in universities, the European Court of Human Rights{YEAH RIGHT!, rights my a**} has ruled.

The court rejected an appeal by a Turkish woman who argued that the state ban violated her right to an education and discriminated against her.

Leyla Sahin had brought the case in 1998 after being excluded from class at Istanbul University.

But the judges ruled that the ban was justified to maintain order and avoid giving preference to any religion.

Although overwhelmingly Muslim, Turkey is a secular republic and the Islamic headscarf is banned in all universities and official buildings.

The BBC's Sarah Rainsford in Istanbul says the verdict will have a major impact, as more than 1,000 other women from Turkey have filed similar applications.

Source:-http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4424776.stm

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 01:30
Well, it's like banning hats or nudity. You can do what you want in your home but when it comes to public or private institutions there are limits.

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 02:39
Good. Religion should be kept as far away from public educational institutions as possible.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 03:38

Bad. wearing a headscarf, Yamaka or whatever is not the business of the government. If ladies can attend Istanbul university wearing mini-skirt, I don't see why a headscarf will be any different.

Let us face it. You wearing headscarf does not harm people around you and universities in Britain, US and Japan (best schools) don't have any objections to your clothing style.  It is all just an act of Islamophobia. To be precise, for instance, a friend of mine who had a friend studying in Bilkent University, Ankara, tried to use bandana instead of headscarf. It worked till the professors noticed that It might be a subtitute of headscarf and demanded the poor lady to take it off and not wear. The morale of the story is, it is not a matter that your dress violates a certain school code, it is just a law against religious freedem no more, no less.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 03:54
I agree with cok gec. Since when did national governments also become the fashion police? Didnt France do the same thing a little while ago? What pointless laws, they will not change anything, they will only piss people off. But hey, thats what government does best
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:10

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

But hey, thats what government does best

True, it seems like the only good thing our Middle Eastern governments are good at these days

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 04:27

Originally posted by Maju

Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes.

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 06:47

This is clearly a way for the secularist/kemalist to show who's in charge. A muslim country banning headscarfs is unthinkable. Its bad enough a christian country does the same on its minority (france), but this is a joke. The government should have better thing to do than dictate/police what can or cannot be worn by a individual, religious or not. If I want to walk down sydney in a tradional greek outfit, skirts and all no one should be able to stop me, even if i look completely ridiculous.

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 13:10
maju wrote: "Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes."

Exactly!! So, then why ban it? Those women should keep fighting for the right to wear whatever they choose. They should be able to go dressed like "Carmen Miranda" with fruits on their heads if they want to! Ole and Touche!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 13:50
Shouldn't be banned, it is a matter of choice.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 14:59

VERY SAD NEWS

Turkey is being made the laughing stock of the world!!!

Just a thought: I bet if Turkey werent allowing Jews to go to uni with a beard and hat the international court for human rights would back their bid

Turkey must rid itself of oppresive ideologies and allow a freedom of religion. The country has become far too militaristic, North Korea forces people to have certain hair cuts. See the similarity

Where is the Muslim world, why are they not protesting their disgust against such things, too busy with thier freinds the Americans!!! perhaps.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 16:10
Didn't the same court of human rights state that dictating what girl coul wear as part of her school uniform infringed on her rights?
It did uphold the right of private institutions to decide what could be worn as uniforms thoughj, which it should, but public institutions should strive to be more inclusive (but again they do have the right to decide what goes ultimatly).
Still, i'm all for the European court of Human rights, its helped to get rid of some stupidities in the UK, but really it has no power over Turkey or any country for that matter IIRC other than tell them they've been naughty (contrary to popular believe it has nothing to do with the EU).
Arrrgh!!"
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:34
I don't think the situation was going to change in Turkiye if the court decided the othervise.Headscarf law in Turkiye has nothing to do with banning islam or restrict the freedom.if it was, it should have been banned on streets at homes etc.European court smply secured its own soils and used Turkey for that matter.

Next case should be banning woman drivers from streets.They should be allowed to drive only in emergency or have to take 5 years compulsory driving lessons maybe 8 years in total along with parallel parking.

"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:52
As far as the ECHR is concerned, Turkey is its "own soils", since 1949 when Turkey joined the council of Europe.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 17:58
Originally posted by ok ge

Bad. wearing a headscarf, Yamaka or whatever is not the business of the government. If ladies can attend Istanbul university wearing mini-skirt, I don't see why a headscarf will be any different.

Do you know if they are allowed to wear miniskirts? I bet they aren't. I'm sure other provisions on dress apart of the headscarf are in use.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:00
Originally posted by Cywr

As far as the ECHR is concerned, Turkey is its "own soils", since 1949 when Turkey joined the council of Europe.

unfortunately
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:01
Originally posted by azimuth

nop its not a social custom like miniskirt , its part of the religion and its mentioned in the Quran Clearly.

Where? All the verses I've read only mention that women (and men) should wear modestly. No mention on keeping something on your head. This is an interpretation, not an essential part of Muslim religion.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:02
Incidently, the school girl that i was refering to was Shabina Begum, and whilst not the court itself, it was the convention that was found to support her case (the descision taken by the highest appeal court in the UK. Though ultimatly it had no affect on the school (which she no longer attended anyways).
Arrrgh!!"
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:07

Do you know if they are allowed to wear miniskirts? I bet they aren't. I'm sure other provisions on dress apart of the headscarf are in use.

miniskirts are banned, as well as shawls(only in winter by a permit) body piercings are free
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 18:07
Originally posted by morticia

maju wrote: "Anyhow, the headscarf is not any religious commandment. Nowhere in the Quran says that women must wear it. It's just a social custom, like miniskirt or high heeled shoes."

Exactly!! So, then why ban it? Those women should keep fighting for the right to wear whatever they choose. They should be able to go dressed like "Carmen Miranda" with fruits on their heads if they want to! Ole and Touche!

Sorry, but when I went to school, and more when I was in teh USA for a year, dressing rules existed. In th High School I went to in Virginia one guy was punished for getting a punk crest. Mostly I haven't seen any other repression but any kind of hats were banned in classrooms (in both sides of the Ocean) too - veils included.

The sentence "X, get out that cap!" is not new to me. Not that I am in favour or against but it seems like the veil should be considered some kind of exception. Why?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>