Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The 2nd Gulf War, Why?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Why did the USA attack Iraq?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [18.42%]
1 [1.32%]
50 [65.79%]
11 [14.47%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The 2nd Gulf War, Why?
    Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 19:43

Israel has not and is not threatening anyone with theirs.  Enither are we.  Should we invade every country with WMD?  No, only threatening ones.

And it is still very likely that Iraq could have weapons in the desert.  Must I say again that experts say it will take 300 years to search all the desert, even with technology!

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 20:17
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Israel has not and is not threatening anyone with theirs.  Enither are we.  Should we invade every country with WMD?  No, only threatening ones.

And it is still very likely that Iraq could have weapons in the desert.  Must I say again that experts say it will take 300 years to search all the desert, even with technology!

Israel is threatening all the Arab World, starting by the poor Palestinians, legitimate owners of the country, let's be serious. Another thing is if Israel is a threat for US interests, but that's diferent.

Iraq wasn't threatening anyone (but Israel) with their inexistent WMD, except that the USA found convenient to stabilish direct rule on the country.

And please, stop being ridiculous with your pretentions that there are WMD somewhere in the desert. If they were, the US intel would know. Basically it's a face-saving bad excuse of Bush and gang - only for the true believers like yourself. The skeptics the non-blind just won't believe such tale.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 20:20
Maju, I am critical of the amount of US tax payer money that goes to Israel and critical of the degree of
their reactive campaigns. I have sympathy for all good Palestinians and them attaining their own sovereign
country, but more patience is needed and the suicide bombing must stop. No.. financing Hamas, a strait up
terrorist organization which directly attacks and kills civilians is not honorable. Criticize Israel, but the PA could use your support, not Hamas.

As far as the Palestinian cause being as legitimate as the French, ect. in WWII, I disagree. Palestine is
not a state nor has it ever been. Strapping on bombs and blowing up buses has never been the "American Way".

Originally posted by Yannis

I would have expected more reason from you Cattus, this claim was ridiculed so many times that I did not
expect you to repeat it here.

Sorry to dissapoint,Yannis.
As objective as I try to be on concrete things, I am still subject to my own opinion sometimes.
AS far as Iraq being the no.1 nation that openly supported terrorism, is this not true, I could be wrong, which was?

This being ridiculed many times itself, does not make it not true. Also, if I remember right, Saddam was the only head of state that openly praised the 9/11 attacks.
Anyway,Decebal wanted Iraqi terrorist ties before the US went in, so I gave some examples.

Dont expect more from me, because unlike some people here as Im about to show, I can actually think for myself...

Originally posted by Spartakus

They could have thrown him in 1991.They deliberatly left a dictator in power for 10 years,putting embargo and starving Iraqis,and then "suddenly" the President "cared" for them and went to liberatethem.Terrorism is nothing more than a political propaganda.Iraq has nothing to do with 9/11 or Osama.Saddam's regime was not a religious one,but a cosmic one.Religious extremists were his enemies.Iraq has a great geostrategic position,near Iran and Middle East.So control of Iraq,gives you control of the area near it.

*Sigh* Overthrowing Saddam in 1991 was not the UN objective."Suddenly" went in there? Do you know nothing of what went on for the past decade and how Saddam continualy thumbed his nose at the world? I cant believe that the US did not invade Iraq sooner!

Who said Iraq had ties with Al Qaeda or 9/11.. even so, how are you so sure they did not?

What difference does it make that Iraq was secular when it was led by an insane dictator that allowed the bases of religious extemist to run and gladly harbored known terrorist?

Ask Jordan if all terrorism is,is nothing more than a political propaganda.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 20:46
The point I am trying to make, and possibly Cattus, is that there is it is a "could be could not be" situation.  There could be WMD in Iraq or there could not be any.  Until we have conclusive evidence either way, I will not be content.  If we search all through Iraq and find nothing, so be it.  However, the same goes for if we find WMD.  You must be open minded that there is a possibility that there are or were WMD in Iraq.  Why must you say that there is no chance of Iraq having WMD? 
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 22:10
Originally posted by cattus

Ask Jordan if all terrorism is,is nothing more than a political propaganda.

As in Lebanon, some many Jordans seem to believe that Israel is behind those indiscriminate attacks. At least that was what I read yesterday in either BBC or Aljazeera (can't recall).

Personally I am very suspicious of indiscriminate attacks, as they can only serve the cause of the enemy. And, well, I've read The Impassble American, an excelent book to re-read in these troubled times.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 22:27

The point I am trying to make, and possibly Cattus, is that there is it is a "could be could not be" situation.  There could be WMD in Iraq or there could not be any.  

According to this argument, there could be a Santa Claus in the North Pole or there could not be any. We have no conclusive evidence and the North Pole hasn't been searched throughtly enough.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 23:23

The point I am trying to make, and possibly Cattus, is that there is it is a "could be could not be" situation.  There could be WMD in Iraq or there could not be any.  Until we have conclusive evidence either way, I will not be content.  If we search all through Iraq and find nothing, so be it.  However, the same goes for if we find WMD.  You must be open minded that there is a possibility that there are or were WMD in Iraq.  Why must you say that there is no chance of Iraq having WMD? 

"Heads,I win;Tails,you lose".

Jai Badri Vishal
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 07:35

No, you see, you are putting words into our mouths.  I am saying, that until we search the deserts and neighbors, this case is not open and shut.  In another other criminal case, officials search everywhere for the criminal; neighbors houses, friends, surrounding areas.  If they don;t find them, they admit defeat.  However, until they search everywhere, they do not close the book.  They don't say "Oh, hes not in his house, I guess we won't ever find him".  C'mon!

Look who is the one who can't think rationally!  Why can't you just admit that there could be WMD and that Iraq did have them?  There is not proof that says there isn't afterall.  On the other hand there is inteilligence, whether you believe it to be true or not (Congress has yet to decide, but the democrats and republicans alike went to war over this intel.) we did have intel that they had some kind of WMD.  Get over it and acknowledge it!

Ah yes of course...if you actually cared to read the pre-Iraq war statements, Bush and those in his administration, made many statements, ranging from that they knew that they had them, and that they knew where they were (Rumsfeld- interview of 2003) and lastly to top them all, the famous statement of Bush in Poland  We have found the Weapons of Mass Destruction. Its more than clear they didnt knew and obviously Bush lied. There is no justifiable defense for waging a war because they "thought" that Iraq possessed WMD.

Also before the war there was much in dispute about Iraq's various WMD programs within the community of intelligence. IF he had stockpiles of chemical weapons..if he intended to buy...if he had missiles capable of hitting targets outside Iraq ...what was their range, etc. Even US State Department, CIA and other agencies like Defense Intelligence Agency, USAF, Department of Energy warned Bush administration about  the lack of conclusive proofs but despite all the questions and evidence to the contrary, Bush administration went to war.

There is not proof that says there isn't afterall.

Another quote straight for the Hall of fame. It seems you havent heard before that you cant prove a negative.

After keeping in mind all of these, your quote "Get over it and acknowledge it!" has a real meaning only as your self-criticism.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 10:50
This was a calm discussion before you nim-rods came in with your closed mindedness!  We came to an agreement over the actualy topic, now we have gotten so far off to where you must spew more BUSH LIED nonsense!  There is no evidence to that.  And if Bush lied, all of Congress lied.  Yet even congress can't find the evidence to say he AND THEY lied!  GET OVER IT!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 11:22

lol come on Thegeneral you get yourself bashed in every single topic you defend bush in it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 12:06
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

e. Iraq had actually started to sell its petrol in return for euro instead of dollar before the war. If all oil producers change to euro from the dollar, America will be up the creek without a paddle.

That is very true. This is a very overlooked cause, but I think it was in fact the single most important reason America went to war against Iraq.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 12:42
Originally posted by azimuth

lol come on Thegeneral you get yourself bashed in every single topic you defend bush in it.

I've noticed.....

But someones got to do it in this overly liberal society!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 13:07

But someones got to do it in this overly liberal society!

In what way is the USA 'liberal'?

(in the original meaning liberal=free market supporter it is, but I assume you mean 'leftwing' when you say liberal)
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 14:21
Yes, you assumed correct, in both ways.  We are a free marcket, but I ment left-wing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 17:08

We are a free marcket, but I ment left-wing.

But in what way is the USA leftist?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2005 at 17:30
When I say society, I meant AE is a left-winged forum, obviously.
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 00:25

This was a calm discussion before you nim-rods came in with your closed mindedness!  We came to an agreement over the actualy topic, now we have gotten so far off to where you must spew more BUSH LIED nonsense!  There is no evidence to that.  And if Bush lied, all of Congress lied.  Yet even congress can't find the evidence to say he AND THEY lied!  GET OVER IT!

There is evidence that G. Bush lied about WMDs and Iraq. He claimed that Saddam was actively seeking to aquire Uranium from Nigeria in the days leading up to the war. Ambassador Graham, who was on the scene in Africa, refuted the claim and as a reward for his years of service to U.S. the Bush administration released the classified identity of his wife who was a CIA agent. "Scooter" Libby, Dick Chennys chief of staff and an advisor to Bush has been indicted on ferderal charges related to the case, Carl Rove in all likelyhood will be next. The federal prosecutor has established that Chenny told Libby of Valerie Plams indentity and he then passed this on to Bob Novac. It's possible that the chain of information will travel all the way into the Oval Office. This is treason in a time of war.

To claim that Bush doesn't lie and use disinformation on a wide scale is to be blind at best and at the worst an agent provocateur.

Edited by DukeC
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 02:56
Thegeneral wrote:
" When I say society, I meant AE is a left-winged forum, obviously"
Yes there are lefties on this sight; but generally its that people from the USA are more "right" than most anyway.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 08:52

If I am allowed to say it, I'd declare oil as the necessary though not sufficient cause of the US invasion of Iraq.

It it weren't so I might as well check the news to know if the invasion of North Korea had begun (or they gave away their WMD or became a true democracy or signed the peace treaty with South Korea, or joined the USA, or the Galactic Empire, or the Elven-Human Alliance or ......)!

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 10:59
I agree, oil may have had its influences but being a reason or 'main reason' is not the case. There were just too many better reasons given including breach of treat to get Saddam than to just buy into Michael Moore type theory.

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

e. Iraq had actually started to sell
its petrol in return for euro instead of dollar before the
war. If all oil producers change to euro from the dollar,
America will be up the creek without a paddle.

That is very true. This is a very overlooked cause, but I think it was
in fact the single most important reason America went to war against
Iraq.

That is actually interesting and would be a strong influence, but not reason still. As is, it was not a threat considering that any trading Saddam may have done, would have been done under the umbrella of OPEC(which still only allows exchange in petrodllars) and the oil-for-food program.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>