Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What is this animal? llama?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this animal? llama?
    Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 11:30

Persepolis - Apadana, E Stairway, Tribute Procession, the Ethiopian Delegation

llama

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 11:50
 dont think so, it obviously has horns. A female deer or gazelle perhaps?
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 12:19
But that is certainly its another ear not horns!
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 12:26

it occured to me also, but it is turned the wrong way. Maybe the artist took the liberty to do so.

lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 12:29

It can't be a llama they are native to south america. Although they are similar to camels they are native to south america. That animal is most likely an extinct form of perisan/middle eastern antellope of gazelle. The romans exterminated a lot of near eastern exotic animal types with their desire for powerful animal for the arena.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 13:29

I think its an okapi (or tiny giraffe-same thing really)

Although I believe some variety of antelope is more likely.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 14:50
that okapi looks extremely like this animal,gj.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 16:41
         well...it's a delegation from Ethiopia right? so i guess it's some kind of a gazelle. butt then...it might be something simple like a goat or something.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 18:56
I also think it's an okapi.  The only problem is that today okapis live deep in the central African jungle, so far into it that no European knew about them until 1901.  Unless the okapi once lived farther north, in southern Sudan or Ethiopia perhaps, it would have been very difficult to locate and capture one.

I have wondered if the mysterious square-eared animal that represents the Egyptian god could be an okapi, though for similar reasons it would have needed to have a wider range.  The Egyptians never found out where the Nile came from, and they would have traveled a similar distance into the equatorial zone to find okapis, if okapis lived where they do now.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 21:20
Wow...for some reason, I was convinced that the animal was a llama
Grrr..
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:09

But that is certainly its another ear not horns!

These are horns, you can clearly see the line of hairs continue in btw the horns.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Sep-2004 at 22:41
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

<>These are horns, you can clearly see the line of hairs continue in btw the horns.

I agree. Not only you can see the line of hair that continues between them, their depiction is quite different from the ear too. If it had been the other ear I see no reason why the artist wouldn't give it the same texture as the first one. Besides, wouldn't be rather unorthodox to the Near Eastern relief style if the farther back ear was depicted at all? It's all supposed to be two dimensional and there's no reason for the back ear to come into the picture.
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Sep-2004 at 06:21

You are right, those are horns and that is an okapi!

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:26

I don't know if its an Okapi though, the picture obviously has hair tufts but the Okapi has smooth hair. Also the Okapi's hind-quarters are striped whereas the picture's animal is not.

Although I'm not familiar with Near Eastern Art so maybe these things could be left out.

Also I don't think that it would be odd for the Okapi to have a larger range (lions existed in Europe) I do think they would have stayed in their jungle homes so if it is an Okapi I would say that it was brough by an ethiopian delegation, far in the west of the country.

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 11:26
This animal looks like the Mythical qi-lin (Kirin to the japanese). The chinese Unicorn.
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:22
it was probably a quagga, a close relative of the okapi that was abundant throught subsaharan africa in ancient times. it went extinct in the 1800's. (largely thanks to british big game hunters and local poachers who hunted it for the still bugeoning "bush meat" market)
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 02:49

It is a quagga:

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 05:59

I don't know the mystery creature has horns and the quagga appears to be missing them.

BTW, what are the things on the animal's rump supposed to be?

Post Reply Post Reply