Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Famous Harlots in History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Online Status: Offline
  Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Famous Harlots in History
    Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 20:46

Yes, the title says it!

Who are the most famous harlots in

your country's history?

(Feel free to post pics as long as it is

PG-13 or tamer)

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 22:07

Alice Keppel mistress of Edward VII (Camilla Parker Bowles great grandmother)

Yup, Camilla's great grandmother shagged Charles's great great grandfather.

Lola Montez who shagged her way to the throne of Bavaria.

My personal favourite person from history largely because she's the only relative of mine to find fame (though I have had several obtain notoriety IE: one who died in the Easter Risings with James Connolly). Showing I have the blood of queens flowing through me.

http://www.abacom.com/~jkrause/montez.html

FEMME FATALE, ETC.: Born as Eliza Gilbert, in Limerick, Ireland, 1818.

Famous (but bad) dancer; mistress to many, including Franz Liszt and Alexandre Dumas; acquaintance of Balzac, Victor Hugo, George Sand, Lamartine; intimate of kings and prime ministers; de facto ruler of Bavaria as King Ludwig I declined; belle of the California gold rush; would-be Queen of Lolaland. Early feminist of sorts and writer of a book of beauty tips. Homicidal temper; carried a whip. One of the most outrageous women of her time.

The Victorians delicately referred to her as "La Grande Horizontele."

Although she claimed to be an illegitimate daughter of the poet Lord Byron (and at other times, of a matador), actually her father was an 18 year old lieutenant (or captain, depending on the historian) in the British army, and her mother a 13 year old chorine. The father died of cholera in India when Eliza was 7.

Her mother remarried, and she was shipped "home" to Scotland, where her stepfather's pious Presbyterian parents were jolted by her running obstreperously through the streets, stark naked. She was quickly shuttled off to school in Paris, where she developed her gift for languages, as well as honing to perfection her unbelievably ferocious and violent temper. Finished with school at 19, she eloped to Ireland, marrying a lieutenant named Thomas James. However, he soon ran off with a captain's wife, leaving Eliza on her own, but not without friends.

She wanted to become an actress, but immediately learned that, quite frankly, she couldn't act; so she decided to fabricate another show business career of her own design. With the help and support of two admiring gentlemen, Lord Malmesbury and Lord Brougham, Eliza changed her name to Lola Montez, and launched herself somehow as a "Spanish dancer."

The first performance in London was dreadful, as she couldn't dance either; the show closed to hisses, boos, and catcalls. In Lola's view, those oafs didn't have a chance of recognizing subtle quality; as far as she was concerned a star was born. For several years, Lola drifted about Europe taking irregular dancing engagements wherever she found them; life was interesting, and her string of lovers grew.

So did her temper. When a man annoyed her, she typically would slash him across the face with the whip she always carried. On one occasion when a lover proved to be disappointing, she fired her pistol at the luckless romeo as he dodged ricocheting bullets while escaping down the street with his pants around his knees. But, on first meeting, she was charming, very charming.

Whatever Lola wanted, Lola got.

In St. Petersburg, Russia, Lola got a "private audience" with the Czar, and then received from him 1,000 rubles for services provided...

In Dresden, she got the composer Franz Liszt, and the two of them enjoyed a burning passion, until Lola became jealous of the attention Liszt received from his legion of admirers. To upstage him, she burst in upon a banquet he was holding for royalty, and leaped up upon the table to dance among the dishes, spilling consomm into the lap of a duke.

At last Liszt (who had a reputation as the great lover of the age) was so completely worn out by Lola, that as she slept, he locked her in their hotel room and fled. At the front desk he left a generous sum of money for the furniture he knew she would smash when she awoke.

In Warsaw, where she had gone to dance, the Viceroy of Poland - a rich old man - fell madly in love with Lola. He offered her his best country estate and mounds of diamonds if she would become his mistress. Apparently Lola found his appearance to be so repulsive that she refused. The viceroy was mortally insulted by the refusal, and he retaliated by trying to get her fired from the dancing engagement. While she was on stage, Lola promptly announced to the audience what was going on: hearing this, the audience rioted and the riot spilled out into the streets, to the great chagrin, anger, and embarrassment of the viceroy (not to mention his wife and other mistress.)

Lola found the greatest love of her life in Alexandre Dujarier, an editor, but, sadly, he was promptly killed in a duel.

Some months later, Lola resumed her dancing in Munich, but the theater manager took one look at her performance and fired her on the spot, claiming that her work was appallingly bad. Infuriated, Lola went directly to the palace to appeal her case to the King. Still in costume, she charged right into the astounded King Ludwig's private study, demanding "justice." Taken aback, the King attempted, clumsily, to be urbane and sophisticated as he inquired if her lovely figure was a work of nature or of art. Obviously, he really didn't know what to say, and finding herself in control of the situation, Lola snatched a pair of scissors from his desk and slit the front of her dress to the waist, thrusting her dazzling bosom into the King's face. Before she left the palace she received a substantial engagement at the Munich Theater. The manager was fired.

Ludwig fell desperately in love with Lola. He gave her an ample allowance directly from the public treasury. He built her a splendid little palace, and he himself designed a marble fountain for it which sprayed perfumed water in an arched plume. Ludwig was an aged and fading man, and Lola easily began to rule his kingdom for him, as well as his imagination. She took exuberant control and made enemies fast, frequently cracking the whip - literally.

She harassed the Jesuits and introduced Napoleonic law. Her "rule" was strikingly liberal, to the dismay of the archconservative Austrian Prince Metternich, who ruled Europe between the two Napoleons. Sensing disaster in Bavaria, Metternich offered Lola the equivalent of $250,000 if she would go away quietly. She threw it in his emissary's face.

Metternich would have none of this, and organized student riots against her. Lola fell into his trap. Haughtily, she had Ludwig close down the university. The students rioted again, but this time they were joined by thousands of tradespeople who stood to lose the students' business. The whole town was under siege and barricaded; revolution was imminent. "I will never abandon Lola," the King said, "My crown for Lola," he said. Indeed it cost him his crown as he was forced to abdicate. Lola made the very next (midnight) train out of town, a victim of her own political incompetence.

Resilient though she was, Lola never fully recovered after the death of Dujarier and her loss of Bavaria. She did still carry on in her usual mercurial manner, embellishing her notorious reputation in a variety of ways, but somehow the edge was off. She was arrested for bigamy; arrested again for stabbing a man (another poor lover), etc., etc.

The severest charge against her involved the mysterious disappearance of one of her lovers from aboard a ship which was anchored in harbor at Fiji. Some native witnesses mentioned a man being tossed overboard from one of the better cabins, but nothing could be clearly proven. It seems that most other passengers had been driven off by the raucous noise coming from Lola's cabin, so there was a shortage of reliable witnesses of suitable station... Charges against her of ritual murder, performed in connection with a Black Mass held in the jungle of a nearby island, were considered to be specious, although no conclusive evidence of any sort was discovered.

At the age of 35, after having suffered through severe episodes of sickness and marriage, she needed a fresh start and set off for California and the gold rush. The ruffian miners appealed to her sensibilities and she felt that she belonged. She opened a frontier saloon in a boisterous mining town called Grass Valley. Boom time mining camps have seen some amazing things at even more amazing prices, but Lola's enterprise was a show stopper of the first order:

Louis XVI cabinets, ormolu mirrors, Ludwig's jewels, Kanaka houseboys, a pet bear, a swan bed, gold leaf everywhere, one extra large deep-red-top billiard table with dragons carved on its legs, and every Governor, Senator or millionaire she could find and haul into the place. The nightly show had one act - Lola at her loosest. It was a hit, at last.

Letters discovered after Lola's death demonstrated that all this was produced in support of a plot on Lola's part to gain influence and assistance to "capture" California from the USA, cause it to declare independence and be named "Lolaland," with herself as Queen.

Weirder delusions and fantasies soon appeared. Lola faded into mysticism and a bizarre version of astrology, taking refuge. She did revive for a short time, and wrote a book of her most important beauty secrets (to prevent wrinkles, she suggested tightly binding many thin strips of raw beef all about the face, covering it completely - except the eyes. The beef was to remain there until all the "vibrant energy" had soaked in. There was no mention of how long that might take however.)

And she went on a lecture tour. "Let historical justice be done to the intellect of woman," she implored. "I am content to leave the history of her heart and moral life, without comment, to defend itself by contrast with that of the other sex." She didn't give many lectures.

At the age of 41 she had a schizophrenic collapse, abandoned the West and all her travels, and spent the last two years of her life on the streets of New York as a pauper. She shuffled along, speaking aloud to herself, urging God to forgive her wicked life.

At 43 she died of a stroke in a wretched boardinghouse, alone.

Her two children, one of whom ran a lamp shade store in California, declined to claim the body. Both were "constrained by the pressures of business" the first one said, which was an interesting perspective, since the second was in jail.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 22:28

Pamela Bordes

For a while, every minute of her day was documented by the media - each detail of hers was lapped up eagerly, by waiting TV cameras...she made waves around the world and for all the wrong reasons!!

This was in the late 80's, when she was linked with a British member of Parliament, a leading Tory MP, and when the incident exploded into a sex-scandal of preposterous proportions. Pamela is reported to have said that her story if told in full, could bring down the government. That was the period when a newspaper anywhere in the world carried her picture and snide remarks to go with it! She was a swinging socialite with a growing reputation for unpleasant things - so much so, her own mother denounced her publicly! 

The "right touch" got her into the right places and Pamela confidently strode the length and breadth of the House of Commons with a Commons security pass to work as a research assistant for the Dover MP, David Shaw with the help of fellow Tory MP, Henry Bellingham.

From her hunting ground in UK where the femme fatale claimed yet another victim in Carlos Moynihan, the UK sports minister, Bordes swung further to connect with revolutionary Libyan leader Colonel Gadaffi's closest aides, Ahmed Gadaff Al Daim jetsetting often to the Libyan capital, Tripoli in a private jet.

With Daim by her side, Paris was not too far where the duo wined and dined at the most luxurious and expensive hotels.

Soon her social circle included arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi and the Emir of Qatar. It was during one of her tours to Paris, she met her boyfriend, Henri Bordes, later to become her husband. Bordes was a convicted arms dealer. The couple later split. 

Unable to stomach all this after a while, Pamela went into hibernation - deep and long.

When she emerged, it was as Pamela Singh - the professional photographer.
Today, she is better known as a photographer, more sober and with greater substance to her character.

Born in Karnal, Haryana, Pamela Singh Choudhary was the daughter of an army officer killed in the India-China war. She received her education in Maharani Gayatri Devi School where she had her first brush with controversy in Class X. 

She went on to win the Miss India title which is her most memorable moment!

"...when I won the Miss India crown! Bizarre as it may sound, it was so unexpected that I was just stunned! There were so many other girls who were far taller, more beautiful and more elegant!"

She describes her wild days in her own words, thus: Sometimes I made really bad decisions, trusted people who let me down. I can do without hassles in my life. I'm not going to turn round and say, 'Oh, every experience enriched me', or any such clich. I honestly wish I hadn't met certain people. The accident with the press was horrible

All this could have made a normal person insane. What makes her unique is her strength and tenacity.

In spite of all these mistakes and humiliation, she didnt lose her will to live. She moved on - out of the dark shadows into a better life!

http://www.howisyourdaytoday.com/profiles/PamelaBordes.htm

Sorry Poirot couldn't find pics.
Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 06:47

Originally posted by Paul

Yup, Camilla's great grandmother shagged Charles's great great grandfather.

History repeating itself?

Jai Badri Vishal
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 09:25
I can see that the good looks, unlike the promiscuity, are not a genetic inheritance.

Edited by Zagros
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 09:49

Originally posted by Zagros

I can see that the good looks, unlike the promiscuity, are not a genetic inheritance.

To whom is that comment directed.I do not belong to a '"High" Context Culture' unlike the """""SOUTH KOREANS""""".

Jai Badri Vishal
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 10:20

As a starter, there's Christine Keeler

Who was only a teenager when she had simultaneous affairs with both the UK Minister of Defence John Profumo and the Soviet Military Attach in London, Yevgenii Ivanov in 1963.

Google for more....

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 14:44

Wallis Simpson who spent her days in the bed of Edward VIII and then in the evening retired to the bed of the Nazi foriegn minister Joachim Von Ribbentrop

poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 16:17
Paul, you are really related to Lola Montez?  Wow!  Amazing. 
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 16:31

Marilyn Monroe, shagged her way into President Kennedy's heart.

Angie Dickinson on JFK's skill in the sack: "Best 20 seconds of my life."

According to Simone Simmons, Princess Diana rated Kennedy 10 out of 10 in bed, and said their session in a New York hotel was pure lust.

I dont know how reliable the site is, but here it is: http://fatboy.cc/Kennedygirls%20G%20Rated.htm
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 17:57
Serena Darko.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 18:01
Severina Vuckovic

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 18:35
Originally posted by Paul

Lola Montez who shagged her way to the throne of Bavaria.

I like her wide eyes and raven black hairs, remind me a lot of an italian ex of mine. She is a whoremonger too, I shouldn't call her my ex, I was only flirting with her, she cheated on her bf. Women 

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 18:47

Her Imperial Magesty, Empress Theodora. Perhaps one of the most notorious of all courtesans, she married Justinian the Great. She certainly worked her way up, being born the poor daughter of a bear keeper at the circus. Supposedly performing tantalizing physical shows, her venomous historian Procopius records that she would sleep with upward of 30 noblemen and their servants in one night! (now I hardly need to find evidence to discredit that claim!) In any case, her famous (or notorious) beauty captured the heart and soul of the Emperor in his 40s. If she truly was the whore Propocius makes her out to be, she certainly must have found a man to love in Justinian. Never once did either stray from the other, they ruled always in tandem like a single being who held court in two different bodies. When Justinian was near death with plague, Theodora took on the crushing burdens of administering a Roman Empire which was fighting on all fronts and stricken with bubonic plague for the first time, not to mention in serious financial trouble. Whatever she was in her younger years, she proved to be a remarkable woman of incredible will power.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 18:53

Originally posted by poirot

Paul, you are really related to Lola Montez?  Wow!  Amazing. 

Yes, it's true but a little teniuous, in the Genghis Khan descendants way. A distant ancesteral cousin of mine married into another family who had a distant cousin married into another family who had a relative in Lola's. Probably a quarter of the population of Ireland could claim descent from Lola.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 04:52

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

According to Simone Simmons, Princess Diana rated Kennedy 10 out of 10 in bed, and said their session in a New York hotel was pure lust.

Diana was two years old when Kennedy was assassinated. Seems a trifle unlikely.

So far I go along with Komnenos and Theodora but how about Pericles' mistress Aspasia?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 05:37
Mata Hari, aka Margareta Geertruida Zella?
Arrrgh!!"
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 19:16
unless she had a liason with JFK Jr.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 19:58
Originally posted by katulakatula

Originally posted by Zagros

To whom is that comment directed.I do not belong to a '"High" Context Culture' unlike the """""SOUTH KOREANS""""".

Camilla and her ancestor.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 05:18
Jai Badri Vishal
 Post Reply Post Reply