Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat comes first? your Religion or your Nationality

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which comes first
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [42.86%]
8 [57.14%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: what comes first? your Religion or your Nationality
    Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 03:10

For me its Religion. the reason becouse it was my own choice to accept it, while my nationality was not in my hands (eg no one chose there nationality). i could have easily been born a arab intead of a turk. so since i never chose to be a turk but chose to be a muslim, my religion is more important and comes before my nationality.

what do use think?

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 03:23

Good subject,

I was going to post a similar subject, especially after reading an article with a diagram of countries and the priority their citizens place on religion vs national patriosm vs race, but the Ottuman Turk was faster.

I think the Ottoman Turk has summerized it very good. My nationality is not as important as my religion. I might have been Saudi for the past 92 years, but Im Muslim since the creation of mankind (if you believe that Islam is a continuation of previous monothiest prophethood and calls).

P.S: I will post the study I have read in the article later after I see the opinion of other formuers to collect a good size and see if it matches with the actual international results on that article.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 03:26

Those who know me personally know that i love anything to do with the Turkic world. However if ever the Turkish interest conflicts with the interest of Islam. Then Islam wins hands down.

Your right in saying one may be born as any nation, but it is ones chose to follow a religion.

The joy iget from reading the Qur'an (esp. in Arabic) can not be compard to anything else. The brotherhood which is gained via the Ummah no matter which race is incredible.

For all those that are not Muslim, or who do not know muuch about Islam. Please learn about it, you wont regret it.

Ne Mutlu Muslumanim Diyene!!!

O what a happy Muslim i am!!!

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 04:39
Osmanli get your own motto!

it was "ne mutlu Turkum diyene!"

edit:btw I'm glad you're happy

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 06:20
My nationality first n last {even if I acquire a US passport}.
Jai Badri Vishal
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 07:47
Originally posted by ok ge

P.S: I will post the study I have read in the article later after I see the opinion of other formuers to collect a good size and see if it matches with the actual international results on that article.

thats a good idea, looking forward to seeing it.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 07:55

erci, that is his own "motto". he didnt say ataturks one, he deliberately changed it to make it different and original.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 08:00
Neither are especialy important to me. I don't identify with any singular religion, and consider myself to have something of a bi-national identity that is merely the product of the circumstances of growing up.
Arrrgh!!"
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:14
well if you consider atheism a religion, I would chose it. However, I find that none of them is realy important to me, I am with Cywr about it.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 10:29
for some people is that important as i see, for me there is no prob if they call me a muslim or a Turk.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 11:02
I think my Humanity is more important. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 11:04
Seems the poll doesn't allow much scope for non-religious transnational identies.
Arrrgh!!"
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 17:26
If i had to choose between nationality and religion, id choose nationality, as i dont identify myself with any popular religions. Religions should never be popular in the first place, theyre just personal beliefs.

If there was a 'humanitarianism' option, i would choose that above anything.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 18:58

I've no interest in religion whatsoever, the less a role religion plays in my country the better IMO.

I was born here in England, i've always lived here, I love my countrys history and its given me a good life thus far, so my country and nationla identity is immeasurably more important to me than the worship of a supposed *god*.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:05

i just wanted to see the people that have a religion (not neccasarilly Islam) to see which one they value more. there national identity, or there religoius identity. its not about what you believe in, so if ur non-religious (atheist) then it is better to not vote, as my intention was to see what the poeple that have a religion think. thats why i didnt put "non-religious transnational identies" in the poll.  didnt mean to ofend anyone by the way.

DayI wrote
for some people is that important as i see, for me there is no prob if they call me a muslim or a Turk.

thats good to here but lets say (eg) u wer put into a position to pick a side between a non-muslim turk or a muslim chinese. which one will u defend? (dont say none or il try to resolve the issue, lets say u had to choose)

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:12
They're the same thing here.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:12
Originally posted by Heraclius

I've no interest in religion whatsoever, the less a role religion plays in my country the better IMO.

I was born here in England, i've always lived here, I love my countrys history and its given me a good life thus far, so my country and nationla identity is immeasurably more important to me than the worship of a supposed *god*.

ur acting as if you chose to be born an english, but infact u had no choice. im not saying u shouldnt be proud of ur history, but the way i see it u dont believe in God and so you really didnt give ur self an option but to pick nationality. so from now on please people if u dont have a religion dont vote, my fault though i shud hav sed that at the start. sorry

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:22

Many people don't exactly chose their religion either, to start with anyway, being brought up in a very strong traditional catholic family for example do you think there is much initial choice what religion a child in that family is going to follow? I think not, as little choice involved there as there is which country we are born in.

EDIT: I may have had no influence on where I was born, but whether or not I value my national identity is a choice.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:34

Yes u r rite about people being born catholic or watever, but they are not going to be a child forever. they are going to grow and change or stick with there belief. in the end its there own personal choice to ether stick with it or let it go. many people are born into religious families while there children reject faith, while also on the other hand the children of the people that reject faith become very religious.

...as little choice involved there as there is which country we are born in.

i dont think so... i can never change were i was born or my background, i can forget about it, but cant change it. were as i can change my belief wenever i like.

erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:34
Originally posted by oTToMAn_TurK

erci, that is his own "motto". he didnt say ataturks one, he deliberately changed it to make it different and original.

yes, very creative and original! anyways I was just kidding, he can use whatever he wishes

I have another question for you.say you have the chance to save a man between an Arab and a Turk who you don't know either one of them.what you only know is their nationality and religion.you can not save both,  Which one would you save?

Edited by erci
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>