Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Understanding the U.S.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Understanding the U.S.
    Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 21:24

Actually, I do not have the numbers.  I am not even sure a poll has been formed with that question, and if there were, I would be sceptic on its validity as I am with most polls.

And, searchanddestroy, I believe our fired bey was hinting at the fact that he believe America is occupying Iraq with that last question of his.  It had nothing to do with Lebanon.

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 23:18
Originally posted by Illuminati

I saw more outrage from Republicans over the Miers nomination then I did over issues regarding Bush and his response to Hurricane Katrina, and the CIA leak scandal that just hit. Republicans jumped right to Bush's defense over Katrina when there was overwhelming evidence of his failure. Bush even took responsibility, thus proving that the Republican voters were acting out of nothing more than loyalty, and not acting upon the truth.

I never got a chance to see this overwhelming evidence of Bush's failure on Katrina. Bush claimed responsibility for the country, him doing that did not prove he was at fault, it means he claimed responsibility. The local officials who were the first responders as well as god for sending the hurricane, also hold alot of the burden. Your theory of blind loyalty doesnt work here.

Here (Thread) some of our forumers are shocked that there was false reporting on this event.

Are we to believe that the system we have in place and the government's handling of this disaster was fairly and accurately reported as well?

Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

US has invaded our neighbour claiming that they have illegal WMDs. Which never materialised.

The US invaded Iraq because of WMDs along with a myriad of other reasons including the ties to terrorism. Bush is a bad salesman, the use of WMDs may have been emphasized too much. He believed Iraq had WMDs, they did once have them, the US went in and didnt find any.. the intelligence was wrong, its done.

Uncle Sam seems like a global lunatic, but he is not coming to occupy your country under false pretenses.
However, McDonalds and Starbucks are going to continue to pop-up around you and you'll have no choice but to like it! I actually dislike this and wish it would stop.

Originally posted by Maju

Anyhow, who gives the 7 billion bucks to Palestine, the rightful owners of the land?

Why would anyone send Billions to the PA? Palestine is not an actual country, it never has been one and the money would just be funneled to Hamas anyway, but maybe you would not mind that at all.

Edited by cattus
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 23:38

However, McDonalds and Starbucks are going to continue to pop-up around you and you'll have no choice but to like it! I actually dislike this and wish it would stop.

Problem is that they are franchises. I can go anywhere in the world, buy a building and buy the appropriate things to have a fast food restaurant and then call McDonalds and ask if I can use their name and food. They'll send everything in a package and all I have to do it send some of my earnings to them. So it's their own countrymen who are buying these restaurants, McDonalds might be just advertising it though.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 00:52

Thanx a lot for the answers.

My next question is regarding rural life in the US.People worldwide form their opinion regarding US based on the urban Americans n their way of living.This question might be vague.I want to know as much as possible regarding rural Americans.If U wish I'll ask specific questions.

Jai Badri Vishal
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 09:16
Originally posted by katulakatula

Thanx a lot for the answers.

My next question is regarding rural life in the US.People worldwide form their opinion regarding US based on the urban Americans n their way of living.This question might be vague.I want to know as much as possible regarding rural Americans.If U wish I'll ask specific questions.

Hugo said the two of us would try to respond, but I must defer here.  I know a little about smaller towns, but I never lived in a rural area (brief visits). 

The only thing I would say is that rural life in the U.S. will likely be found to be diverse.  With the differences in cultural influences, I imagine rural life will vary widely from Maine to Georgia to New Mexico to Oregon.

Oh, I forgot North Dakota (Does anyone really live in North Dakota?  Has anyone ever seen a North Dakota license plate?)

Edited by pikeshot1600
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 10:16

Pikeshot wrote: "Oh, I forgot North Dakota (Does anyone really live in North Dakota? Has anyone ever seen a North Dakota license plate?"

Actually, yes!! You can find them all at the annual Sturgis, South Dakota motorcyle rally! I've never seen so many people from everywhere in the US, including North Dakota. It's one of the best yearly events for motorcycle riders in the U.S.!

Katulakatula wrote: "I want to know as much as possible regarding rural Americans.If U wish I'll ask specific questions.:

Please ask with more specificity..what would you like to know about rural Americans? As far as I recall, they don't have any horns or tails growing out of them! Now seriously, they are more laid back and run their lives at a slower pace than the city dwellers do. However, that's probably true in every country!

Regards,

Edited by morticia
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 12:22

Maybe I can mention something here:

When I visit my wife's family and friends in a very small town, it is surprising that no one seems to lock their doors often when they are away from home for a short time.  You don't do that in a city.  They drive slower...there are fewer cell phones in use, and they do attend church services more frequently (like weekly).  One rarely hears any profanity, and they do help each other out more readily than where I grew up, and live now.

Culturally, and in things that interest me, I don't find much attraction in the lifestyle, but most of them seem OK with it.

One thing is that it took some of them awhile to accept me as an in-law, but clannishness is not confined to rural or small town America.  I have met very few there who were not really good people.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 12:33
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

I see nothing wrong with lighthearted questions, but what starts me up is when questions like "Where are the WMD?" and "Why shoot to kill?". These questions have, for one, been answered many times, and are just posted to start more flame wars.

US has invaded our neighbour claiming that they have illegal WMDs. Which never materialised. My question is perfectly valid, if a tad rhetorical. I am not interested in a flame war, if you don't want one, don't flame anyone. 'If you can't take the heat, leave the kitchen'

More questions,

1.- What percentage of Americans believe that Iraq had WMDs at the beginning of the war, but hid them or gave them to someone?

2- Why does the US spend more than the rest of the world put together on weapons?

3.- Why does the US does not allow poor African countries to produce cheap AIDS drugs?

4.- Nuclear non-proliferation treaty says 'non-nuclear states should not develop nukes, and nuclear states should not develop new nukes, and the latter should work towards nuclear disarmament'. Why does the US accuse states such as Iran and N Korea whereas it does not comply with the agreement itself? Can this be called hypocracy?

5.- Why is the US, other than Israel (a.k.a. his master's voice), only state in the world which wants to overturn the current international agreement which bans militarisation of space?

6.- Before past elections in Lebanon (just after elections in Iraq), Dubya said 'Syria should end occupation of Lebanon, because it is impossible to have fair elections when a country is under foreign occupation'. Do you agree?

1. I forgot what the percentage was, but it was the mayority. As I said before, the White House seems to have made a campaign to deceived the U.S. population into backing the war. The normal dissent of newspapers didn't occur due to the political climate.

2. Because the U.S. has the greatest amount of interests in the world, and a good amount of the power of the U.S. are derived from these weapons.

Also remember that we are currently in a expensive war, so this is going to drive the total up.

3. The U.S. is protecting the interests of pharmaceutical corporations. They do not want to offer cheap medicine because they fear that the medicine will be exported to industrialized nations and cost less money there.

4. Yes, it is hypocracy. Bush made a big deal announcing at the beginning of his presidency how we were not going to follow a major treaty. I ignore that his motivation was--maybe give a big contract to one of his donors.

5.Star Wars was a project of the Reagan administration. It seems that both Rumsfeld and Cheney were fond of it, so, as I described in 4, they brought it back as soon as they got in power.

Their public announcement on this was pretty stupid, considering that it create a negative climate against the U.S. and the technology is still decades away from us. Shortly after this was announced, the Navy admitted that its testings on it were a failure.

6. Yes, I do agree with the stated and unstated message.
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 13:05

OK then I'll ask specific questions regarding rural America.

Q1}Demographical information.

Q2}Their clout in the American politics.

Q3}Average landholdings {related to thisoes American Govt. genrally subsidise farm products,is farming controlled by Corporations or r farmers free to grow whatever they wish on their land}.

Q4}How rural Americans view urban Americans.

I saw a movie 'Beverly Hillbillies'.It was about a rural American family moving into Beverly Hills.The movie was a laugh riot.

Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 13:07
Big smile in Q3 was unintentional .
Jai Badri Vishal
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 16:37

Well, I live in a rual, suburban area, so let me see if I can help ya out.

First, I think you have to remeber not all people who live in rural areas are farmers.  In fact, I don't know of any within 20 miles of my house!

And secondly, remeber that "hill billys" are an even worse steryotype of rural areas than farmers.

Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 17:17
Originally posted by Thegeneral

Well, I live in a rual, suburban area, so let me see if I can help ya out.

First, I think you have to remeber not all people who live in rural areas are farmers.  In fact, I don't know of any within 20 miles of my house!

And secondly, remeber that "hill billys" are an even worse steryotype of rural areas than farmers.

I think we should state that "hill billy" (and it is a stereotype) in general refers to those in and from Apalachia (the mountains of the southern states) and the Ozarks (Missouri and Arkansas)...mountainous regions that have been pretty remote until recent decades.

A lot of these areas have been sparsely populated and have had little industry other than small scale agriculture or mining.  There has been little wealth and tax base.  So, living standards were or still are not great, education is poorer than other areas, and there is not much sophistication.  In many of these remote areas, there was no electricity until about 70 years ago.

In the Great Depression, there was not only prolonged drought, but the value of farm land fell to disastrous levels, and many from these areas moved further west in search of work.  It is probably allegorical, but the Beverly Hillbillies went from, I think, the Ozark mountains to California as did many others (in the 1930s).

Edited by pikeshot1600
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:09

We really do not need a nother party.  You either have the beliefs that the democrats do or the rupublicans.  An independant would be nothing more than a 'rose by another name', ir a republican or democrat with a different name.  And I do not believe most Americans dislike the two party system.

When I read this incredibly stupid quote I almost went BLIND with rage.  I havent read anything so dumb is quite some time!  A two party system is barely better than a one party system.  Its a common iew among semi-literate pundits that theres only black of white, one or the other.  The two major parties we have are probably ideologically the two parties in any country MOST SIMILAIR to each other.  Most independents are smarter and have more coherant and ideologically sound views than republicans or democrats. Democrats are for expanding government power to regulate commerce and the right to self defense, republicans think everyone should be babied and raised by the states bizarre religious values.  Both parties advocate governemtn takeover of peoples lives somehow or another and to say they are the only choices shows what a total ignoramus you are and that you have no idea what democracy or liberty really is.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:28
dems are for self defense and the republicans think everyone should be babied?    Is this correct?

Btw, Bush has turned the GOP into the party of spending.
He hasnt vetoed a single thing put before him.

Edited by cattus
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 20:55
Originally posted by Tobodai

We really do not need a nother party.  You either have the beliefs that the democrats do or the rupublicans.  An independant would be nothing more than a 'rose by another name', ir a republican or democrat with a different name.  And I do not believe most Americans dislike the two party system.

When I read this incredibly stupid quote I almost went BLIND with rage.  I havent read anything so dumb is quite some time!  A two party system is barely better than a one party system.  Its a common iew among semi-literate pundits that theres only black of white, one or the other.  The two major parties we have are probably ideologically the two parties in any country MOST SIMILAIR to each other.  Most independents are smarter and have more coherant and ideologically sound views than republicans or democrats. Democrats are for expanding government power to regulate commerce and the right to self defense, republicans think everyone should be babied and raised by the states bizarre religious values.  Both parties advocate governemtn takeover of peoples lives somehow or another and to say they are the only choices shows what a total ignoramus you are and that you have no idea what democracy or liberty really is.

Should I scream RAPE?  No, just abuse!

If I am not mistaken, personal attacks on me like that are directly against the rules and will result in the deletion of your post, atleast I woudl hope.

Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 22:03
woh u guys need to chill out. lol

its true the two-party system might not satisfy certain individuals, but hey, if independants are so much smarter than the other two parties, then why dont people vote for them.....THATS RIGHT! cuz people dont need to, they are already satisfied with the two parties present....or maybe they're in fear of wasting their votes when they vote independent...not sure....hmmmm.

anyways, i hope thers a national communist party i would so vote for em, i think there was already one on the ballot for the CA governer election o.O
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 23:16

Originally posted by cattus

dems are for self defense and the republicans think everyone should be babied?    Is this correct?

Btw, Bush has turned the GOP into the party of spending.
He hasnt vetoed a single thing put before him.

Read what I said, Dems regulate commerce and want to infinge on the right to self defence.  Bush is the biggest spender in the universe but I didnt even get to that point.  Republicans DO baby people but not in the nurturing parent way but the authoritiarian preacher way.

the general: you are an idiot.  You have always been an idiot.  I can no longer pretend to shrug off your idiotic posts.  Whats wrong with America is people like you.  Almost every post you have ever made is either factually incorrect or downloaded from some pundits slobber.  You thought the founding fathers were catholics! Next youll join the Mormons in believing that native americans are jews in exile. I cant take it anymore, reading your posts has finally broken any self restraint I may have had.

-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 23:20

Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

its true the two-party system might not satisfy certain individuals, but hey, if independants are so much smarter than the other two parties, then why dont people vote for them.....THATS RIGHT! cuz people dont need to, they are already satisfied with the two parties present....or maybe they're in fear of wasting their votes when they vote independent...not sure....hmmmm.

anyways, i hope thers a national communist party i would so vote for em, i think there was already one on the ballot for the CA governer election o.O

Because Americans as evidenced by people like the general are on the whole a very stupid people.  They are totally unaware of real issues for th emost part and all of them want the governmetn to solve their problems.  Also we have a winner-take-all system which is neither democratic nor represntative.  How a people vote will not even show up in elections only the largest percentage of voting will get 100% of the results.

-Alexander Hamilton
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 11:51

Originally posted by pikeshot1600

It is probably allegorical, but the Beverly Hillbillies went from, I think, the Ozark mountains to California as did many others (in the 1930s).

As far as I remember the Beverley Hillbillies came from Oklahoma. They certainly hit it rich from striking oil on their land.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 11:54

Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

But only around half the US electorate votes. While the ones that do vote may be happy with the system (may be), what about the ones that don't? Maybe if there were more choices available more people would vote.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>