Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mankind,see your stupidity.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mankind,see your stupidity.
    Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:47

It is estimated that only 4,500 to 5,200 individual tigers now remain in the wild. These remaining tigers are threatened by many factors, including growing human populations, loss of habitat, illegal hunting of the tiger and the species they hunt, and expanded trade in tiger parts for traditional medicines.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:55
I had no idea the situation was this bad... We must find those remaining Tigers and destroy them...
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 16:59

This century has already seen major losses of wild tigers. By the 1950s, tigers living around the Caspian Sea were extinct. Populations of tigers that once inhabited the islands of Bali and Java are now extinct. The last Bali tiger was killed in 1937; the last Javan tiger sighting occurred in 1972. India today has the largest number of tigers, with between 3,030 and 4,735. The South China tiger, with at best 20 to 30 individuals, is nearly extinct in the wild.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:03

Originally posted by dirtnap

I had no idea the situation was this bad... We must find those remaining Tigers and destroy them...

More seriously its tragic whats happening, its obviously not just tigers though humankind is endangering many kinds of animals all over the world.

Tigers are some of the most beautiful animals on the planet, it'd be awful if the only way to see them in the future is in photgraphs, movies and the internet.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:17
Isn't there a viral agent which only harms humans, and spreads airborne across the Globe? I would be glad to press the button on that contraption.

Man is pathetic.
There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:20
Good post Spartakus:

The tiger is not the only threatened species, just to mention a few, there's the Komodo dragon (only an estimated 1,000 to 5,0000 of these lizards live today), there's the Imperial Parrot (only 80 to 120 remain), the African Elephants, the Jaguars, and the list goes on and on....

Of great importance to their survival will be any effective law enforcement, public education, and protection of the remaining animals, which,unfortunately, some captive specimens never breed successfully, unless they are in the wild.

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:27
My god we have alot of work to do...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 02:49
Hmm whats this rumbling among the lower classes? Im sorry I couldnt hear you from beneath my tiger skin scarf.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Darkness1089 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Darkness1089 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 22:54

Truely tragic...
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 03:11
Yeah, people should be more bright than to use plus-minus signs as "approximative" (you have ~ for that).
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 11:24
Shame I too am human. Otherwise, I would go on a world-wide human-slaying spree.
 Post Reply Post Reply