Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Death Penalty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Death Penalty
    Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 01:50

Before I begin, please keep the talk somewhat civil. I expect things to be heated but keep it down.. OK?  Great...  now lets begin.

Here we have an issue that is quite contraversial. I believe most countries (though not the vast majority) have outlawed the death penelty or are in the process of doing so. However, in places like America it hangs on.

I am pro death penelty. This is why. I do not believe in it as a form of revenge. I believe in it as a penelty and as a useful method of garbage disposal. WHen a good man is walking to his car after working until 2AM, who is providing for his family who are on hard times, and is robbed and killed in cold blood, I believe the man who commited this terriblre act does not deserve to live. He, in my opinion, has degraded him self to garbage and what do we do with garbage? We get rid of it. Some people say we should rehabiliate these people. But consider this, this person has taken something that can not be replaced, a human life. Does he even deserve rehabiliation and thus a 2nd chance? I dont believe he does. That is my line of thought with regard to the death penelty.

IF somebody is mentally ill, then i would say they should be confined to a mental ward for the rest of their life. And of course there are unique circumsatnces to every case. I do not care how much it costs, we spend money with little regard as it is. PLus if we are worried about cost, 1 bullet is less than a penny.

There is also the issue of it being barbaric. I ask somebody to prove this. It is an opinion based on what barbarism is. But killing people for commiting grose offenses is something that has occured in every civilized society up until recently (though I assume there are a few exceptions). I can not buy into the notion that the death penelty is barbaric.

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 05:04
You should start this over and include an actual poll... yes or no pro or con etc...
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 05:37
I support death-penalty too.
Jai Badri Vishal
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 06:07

I don't. On pragmatic grounds, not moral ones.

You cannot be sure the guy you are killing is a murderer.

That the murderer may 'deserve' to die isn't the point.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 09:13
I'm a strong opponent of the death penalty, both on moral and on pragmatic grounds. Killing is never legitimate.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 09:16
I used to support the death penalty, but these days vengeance for its own sake is rather hollow. I am apalled at how lenient some sentences for capital crimes are today, but death isn't the answer.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 10:49
I believe the death penalty makes much more sense than something like nine consecutive life sentences.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:00

Well I support taking someone life should punished heavyly.

I think life of innocent is more precious than life of a murderer.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:01

I think that the death penalty should be reserved for only the most dangerous criminals such as serial killers, whose guilt has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. If premeditation is established and if the person is likely to do it again, then the death penalty may be an option.

To take the example that someone gave earlier, about someone getting killed in an armed robbery. How do you know what actually happened? Oftentimes the robber has no real intention of killing the person, but things sometimes get out of hand due to the person getting robbed attempting to fight back. I think that most murders are the result of someone losing control of their emotions for a few moments. Should they be killed for their momentary lapse in judgement?

What about a fight in a bar? Someone throws a blow in anger and someone else gets killed as a result. Should that person be put to death? Things are not always clear-cut.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:10

We put down animals if they bite a child, I think we should put down humans if they actually kill someone.

I feel worse about a animal being put down then a human because humans can reason and they know the laws of the land. If they don't follow them and kill someone knowing full well that they would be put to death for the crime if caught, then they deserve it.

But I think Texas has problems when it comes to the death penalty. They seem to get crazy with it. Under George Bush alone when he was Governor of Texas I think it was said 22 men were excuted. And Texas does not seem to wait after the sentence, usually a person can make appeals for 20 years and usually in that time if they are innocent they are usually found, but I don't think they wait. Atleast thats what they are known for.

There is one thing I don't understand, how does it cost more money to excute someone rather then waiting 30-60 for the guy to die and rot in prison. I mean you have to feed everyone one and probably buy them clothing annually. Also you have to pay for more guards to watch everyone and they are going to want good money.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:52
Well the death penalty works, I dont know of anyone who has been put down and gone on to kill again.

Im seriously against it. I have yet to see evidence that it is a deterrent, and that the state should not have the right to kill one of its own citizens.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 13:14
Originally posted by cattus

Im seriously against it. I have yet to see evidence that it is a deterrent, and that the state should not have the right to kill one of its own citizens.

Indeed, it is no deterrent. Therefore all it does is causing more unnescecary bloodshed. One can of course say that it's not unnescecary, because someone sentenced to deaths gets what he deserves, but honestly I don't think revenge should be part of any juridical system.

Edited by Mixcoatl
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 13:24
Originally posted by Decebal

I think that the death penalty should be reserved for only the most dangerous criminals such as serial killers, whose guilt has been proved beyond a shadow of a doubt. If premeditation is established and if the person is likely to do it again, then the death penalty may be an option.

The legal system doesn't degrees of guilt. Eg: he definately did it, death, He most probably did it, life. He quite certainly did it, 15 year. there's a good chance he did it, 8 years.

Trouble with this only for people who are guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt, it means you effectively saying the other people aren't, so shouldn't be in prison at all.

Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

We put down animals if they bite a child, I think we should put down humans if they actually kill someone. .

We exterminate communities of animals when they become a nuisance. Perhaps we should gas the inhabitants a a dozen of so cities. like Saddam did with the Kurds.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 14:14

We exterminate communities of animals when they become a nuisance. Perhaps we should gas the inhabitants a a dozen of so cities. like Saddam did with the Kurds.

I was talking about people who killed other, so are you saying all those Kurds were killing people?

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:04
I am Pro death penalty...

I want/need/desire no approval from anyone concerning anything so there is no need to justify my opinions...

If the statistics were 6 Billion to 1 then I would stand alone...

Edited by dirtnap
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 17:17

I'm for it purely for revenge, also I don't see why the taxpayer should have to pay a small fortune to keep the lunatics of society in prison for the next few decades when you just know plenty of people really know the punishment they should recieve.

I might be appeased to an extent if sentences in this damn country were even close to being as harsh as they should, life is a word thrown around many courts in Britain, seldom does it result in the criminal going down for life or anything close.

I want the death penalty brought back in my country, hang them, won't bother me in the slightest, they are vermin and deserve to be treated as such.

I apologise for coming across abit extreme on this, but I feel passionately about people being punished for their crimes, I cant say putting a mass murderer or child killer in prison is justice, they should hang.

I dont know whether or not it would deter somebody from commiting murder or raping a load of women, all that matters to me is they recieve the correct punishment for their crimes and for extreme crimes I support death.

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 02:53

In principle the death penalty appeals to me, and I used to be quite the supporter of it.  But I no longer am because its a power the state should NOT have.  It serves no actual function of benefice and is not actually less good revenge because this way the scumbags life is ended and not prolonged in the hell of prison for a long time. 

Moresoever it makes a nation look backwards, and thus my nation would not have it based on reputation.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 06:13
Originally posted by Paul

Trouble with this only for people who are guilty beyond the shadow of a doubt, it means you effectively saying the other people aren't, so shouldn't be in prison at all.

[/QUOTE

No - there's a difference between guilty beyond reasonable doubt and guilty beyond any doubt.

I doubt (!) you can ever be sure beyond any doubt.

No - there's a difference between guilty beyond reasonable doubt and guilty beyond any doubt.

I doubt (!) you can ever be sure beyond any doubt.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 17:53

Me...

I'm PRO with death penalty.. as a reminder and as an example for those who might consider to do the same crime or whtever bad things which is deserved to get death penalty.. and to prevent permanently for the criminal to have opportunity to do it again...

Don_Meaker View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Don_Meaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 18:23

The good news is that there is less recidivism with the death penalty. Still I am opposed to it.

As a private citizen, I may be compelled to kill, in self defense, in defense of my family, or as part of a deputized posse or militia. As a soldier I may have to kill to accomplish my mission. A competent enemy may not give me a choice, and may be able to put me and mine at risk.

If a criminal is captured, held for trial, and convicted, he is under sufficient control so that he need not be killed. Perhaps the cell should be welded shut, and when he dies, it should be filled with concrete, but he need not ever get out.

I could see that one convicted, and held in jail, if he managed to kill another inmate, or a guard, that the death penalty would then be executed. If the bad guy is too smart for the state's minions to keep him secure, then by all means kill him. But the state's minions should be insulted at that demonstration of their incompetence.

A

Reality is the world of ten thousand things.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>