Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMove over Egypt, Europes pyramids are older and bigger!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move over Egypt, Europes pyramids are older and bigger!
    Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 09:36
Yes, it's a typical misconception that slavery was massive in Egypt, when it actually wasn't, at least in the early periods. Monumental architecture doesn't need slave labour but what needs is some kind of (maybe religious) motivation and strong social organization to get hundreds or thousands of people to work in such monuments. It also needs relative advanced science/technology, particularly architecture. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by Cywr

Or is it just a man made mound?

I think it is no more than a man-made mound as you said.

Just like the ones in Anatolia, which were builded by the Phrygians.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 12:24
Originally posted by Barış

Originally posted by Cywr

Or is it just a man made mound?

I think it is no more than a man-made mound as you said.

Just like the ones in Anatolia, which were builded by the Phrygians.

Well, they already know it's built from stone blocks and it has internal passages - so I think it's more than a mound.

The other hills in the area are even more interesting to me. They're not as big, but their shape is more striking:

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 12:43
Originally posted by Mila

Well, they already know it's built from stone blocks and it has internal passages - so I think it's more than a mound.

Yeah, those passages makes them differ from natural hills, but does not make them pyramids.

By the way, do you know who built it?

Edited by Barış
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 12:51

Yeah, those passages makes them differ from natural hills, but does not make them pyramids.

Not a clue. They've said they're at least 3,500 years old, but they suspect far older. If they could narrow down a date, we could determine which culture was dominant in this area at the time - although I doubt it's really related all that much to any culture we know played a significant role in this region because the very reason we know they were dominant here is because they left evidence, records, and so on - surely they've have mentioned something about a giant pyramid, possibly pyramids?

I have a funny feeling it's very, very, very old. 10,500 BC is the time at which Stonehenge, the Egyptian pyramids, the temples in the Americas, and so on, aligned perfectly with the stars. Not saying they were built then, but when they were built, they were built to align with the stars as they appeared in the sky 10,500 years ago. Even 10,000 years ago, the measurements would've been slightly different. So I have a feeling it's a part of that.

I really want to know why all these ancient structures, if indeed they were built to align with the stars, all chose roughly 10,500 BC and - if they weren't built at that time, or at least marked by some more primitive construction, how did the ancient people even know where the stars were in 10,500 BC? No one could have lived long enough to notice how the night sky shifts dramatically over time, beyond what's caused by the earth's rotation.

Hmmm...it just fascinates me. I'm so pleased with this discovery!
El Cid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 14:13

I don't know. It seems as a big mound. But it could be real.

I'm not an expert in ancient bosnian religions, so I 'd thank you a lot if you could tell me something about it.

The spanish are coming!

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 14:35

Originally posted by Bar

Not a clue. They've said they're at least 3,500 years old, but they suspect far older. If they could narrow down a date, we could determine which culture was dominant in this area at the time - although I doubt it's really related all that much to any culture we know played a significant role in this region because the very reason we know they were dominant here is because they left evidence, records, and so on - surely they've have mentioned something about a giant pyramid, possibly pyramids?

I have a funny feeling it's very, very, very old. 10,500 BC is the time at which Stonehenge, the Egyptian pyramids, the temples in the Americas, and so on, aligned perfectly with the stars. Not saying they were built then, but when they were built, they were built to align with the stars as they appeared in the sky 10,500 years ago. Even 10,000 years ago, the measurements would've been slightly different. So I have a feeling it's a part of that.

I really want to know why all these ancient structures, if indeed they were built to align with the stars, all chose roughly 10,500 BC and - if they weren't built at that time, or at least marked by some more primitive construction, how did the ancient people even know where the stars were in 10,500 BC? No one could have lived long enough to notice how the night sky shifts dramatically over time, beyond what's caused by the earth's rotation.

Hmmm...it just fascinates me. I'm so pleased with this discovery!

Well, look. There are enough stars in the sky that you can make a building that "aligns" with one star or the other, with the postion it had 10,500 years ago. And what exactly does aligning mean? That the top of the building, from some arbitrary angle, seen by a person of a certain height, seems to be in the same line of sight as a star, at a certain time of the night, and a certain time of the year. What about if the person has a different height, viewed the building from a different angle, or the ground was different in those days? What about the other days of the year, or other hours during the night?

This is what's called the "Texas Sharpshooter" method. A lot of pseudo-scientists use it today to concoct all kinds of theories about anceint buildings. The story of the Texas sharpshooter is that he shot at a barn, and then went over and painted bull's eyes over the top of the bullet holes. In other words, people look for patterns and pass it off as a momentous discovery, even when it's simply a coincidence.

Check out these sites for the debunking of various myths.

http://www.ramtops.co.uk/

http://www.hallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Topics

Also, in Umberto Eco's book Foucault's Pendulum, at one point, the author gives an impressive exposition of the mathematical and astronomical  coincidences and patterns expressed in a newspaper stand, which as we all know have no relationship with astronomy. I highly recommend reading the book.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 15:26

In 1500 BCE the only place in all Europe where anything was written was in Crete and very specific parts of Greece where they used linear B script. It was all accounts and nothing on history, monuments, mythology or other stuff that could be relevant for us. Unless this pyramid keeps some unknown form of script inside, you shouldn't expect any written references. Only Archaeology can answer.

As far as I know, the historical (Roman) region of "Dalmatia" or "Illyria" (parts of Croatia, most of Bosnia, Montenegro and the coast of Albania), had a series of cultures that derived from Mediterranean Neolithic (Cardium Pottery), which was also originated there, from c. 6000 BCE to the Bronze Age (c. 1700 in pan-European chronology). This cultural sequence was very related to those of Italy, specially the north, and also was uder the influx of other cultures from the Panonnian basin and what is now Serbia.

Since c. 3000 BCE in many Mediterranean areas we can see the appearence of megalithic monuments that do not simply replicate those of the Atlantic but are also original and innovative (the best known example is Malta). The fact that the Egyptian pyramids are also built in this period (early 3rd milennium) makes them somehow related with this megalithic cultural current or fashion, though Egyptians never built megaliths in the Atlantic style (dolmens and cromlechs). The fashion lasted till the Bronze age or some centuries before, depending on regions. I suspect that this Bosnian pyramid will be eventually dated between 3000 and 1800 BCE, just because it would fit with the Mediterranean Megalithic period.

If I'm not wrong, between 1500-1300 that area was invaded by Illyrians who are related to the Urnfields culture.

So unless this discovery brings us to find some new culture, still unknown, the pyramid would probably belong to one of the Neolitic/Chalcolithic cultures that are mostly native of the area, most likely the Nakovanska Kultura (sorry but I've only found links in Serbocroatan on this topic), which occupies the span between 3500 and the Urnfields (IE) invasion.

I have a funny feeling it's very, very, very old. 10,500 BC is the time at which Stonehenge, the Egyptian pyramids, the temples in the Americas, and so on, aligned perfectly with the stars.

Take it easy: all those monuments weren't built before 3000 BCE. It's a very early date and a historical period (Chalcolithic: Copper Age)we all would like to know a lot more about. I hope we will learn much from that Sun Pyramid and related discoveries.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:22
^ Great posts guys, very interesting.

El Cid: Here's a little expose that touches lightly on ancient Bosnian religions.

http://www.kolocollaboration.org/Articles/Danica/firstwitc hes.html

It is still possible to examine many of their beliefs, especially in rural areas. Even the most moderate of Muslims could not spend a week with traditional, Bosniak highlanders and come away believing they truly practice the Islamic faith. Everything in every moment of every day is either tainted or enriched, depending on your point of view, with a blend of pagan rituals.

What we do know is that the ancient, pagan peoples of Bosnia worshipped the Sun God above all others - his spiral symbol is still a very common symbol here. Aida Korman's latest fashion show, "Ad Modum Bosneum", featured a dress with spiral details sewn in that was so popular here.

Here's a little look at where these people live:

"Lukomir is Europe's oldest living community and the highest in elevation in Bosnia Herzegovina. The small town is also cut off from the world five months a year due to heavy snow."

"Sitting on soft, colorfully embroided pillows filled with wool; drinking strong, black coffee from miniature cups; smiling politely as warm and friendly locals try to carry on a discussion with me using only sign language - at first glance, I could be anywhere in Bosnia, but I am not. I am where the mountains of Bosnia once reached to the sky, and have been slowly beaten back by time ever since. I am in Europe's oldest community, the village of Lukomir. Here young women wear traditional Bosnian garments dating from medieval times not for tourists but because its the only clothing they know how to make. Old women, many of whom still write their names using medieval symbols, place flowers at tombstones that date back more than half a millenium, in cemeteries twice as old. Even my trusty Bosnian guide Goran - who was born and raised just a few kilometers downhill in the capital, Sarajevo - seems out of place and foreign here. He is no more able to understand these village women's ancient dialect than I am."
- Wendell Phillips

Edited by Mila
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 16:55

El Cid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 20:58
Ok, thanks a lot. Very interesting. I hope that these people's way of life remains  for the new generations.

The spanish are coming!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 21:18
Oh it will, El Cid - whether they want it to or not. I remember seeing a documentary about young people from villages like Lukomir (Highlanders, those people are called, in Bosnia) who left their villages to live a modern life down in the valleys.

They followed, I believe it was 14 young men and women from highlander villages across the country - none managed to make it in the cities. Not even a single one.

They're just too modest, too simple, too trusting, too traditional, too much of so many good things to make it in a modern city.

I think it's why they've survived so long. Lukomir is Europe's oldest living community, but that's because the highlanders are Europe's oldest living culture. Still, more or less, exactly the same today as it was a millenia ago. I think it's because they're so simple, modest, and self-sufficient. No conquering land, no wars, nothing...just live, be happy.

And they survived while so many great and powerful cultures have come and gone.

I remember they interviewed one old woman on the show about changes she's noticed over the years, and she said (I can't remember it verbatim, but it stuck in my head, it was something like):

"We didn't change that much. The little girls today look just their Mothers did 20 years ago. The little boys play the same way their grandfathers did 50 years ago. What has changed are the people who come here. Before we felt part of them but now they've found a new way for almost everything and... I don't know... maybe they think we're stupid, but I don't believe that. Why change what you love? The people now who come aren't even from the valleys. They're from far off places, across whole oceans. They come to have coffee with us, take pictures of our homes and our children. One of them brought a map of the whole of Europe and I asked him if I could keep it. He showed me where he was from, and where I was from. And now I just love it. Everyone who comes up to visit us, I make them show me on my map where they are from."

She was SO cute.

Edited by Mila
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 06:06

This is quite interesting. A couple of years ago I almost bursted into tears of laughter in the middle of a Russian Histoy class, when Dr.Pliassov, the quintessential Russian nationalist claimed the Egiptians contacted early slavs in order to learn the process of pyramid building.

Guess it doesn't sound so funny now...

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 08:34
Originally posted by Maju

Yes, it's a typical misconception that slavery was massive in Egypt, when it actually wasn't, at least in the early periods. Monumental architecture doesn't need slave labour but what needs is some kind of (maybe religious) motivation and strong social organization to get hundreds or thousands of people to work in such monuments. It also needs relative advanced science/technology, particularly architecture. 

thats true.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:04
From the Associated Press

Bosnian explorer hails 'pyramids of Europe
By Amra Hadziosmanovic

Bosnian explorer Semir Osmanagic is convinced that he has found Europe's first pyramids, which he says are a new world wonder dating back to ancient times.

"I was amazed when I first saw them. I'm deeply convinced now that this is the work of an ancient civilisation built many thousands of years ago," he said while observing an area he excavated north of Sarajevo.

The 45-year-old is so certain two pyramids are hidden in Visoko valley that he has spent 16 000 (R130 000) researching the area, located either side of a river about 30km from the Bosnian capital.

The structures 'cannot be the art of nature'
Residents of the nearby town of Visoko have long known about the presence of the two structures they always referred to as "pyramids" but none of them was ever intrigued enough to investigate further.

But Osmanagic, who says he sharpened his eye for archaeology on numerous trips around the world to study ancient civilisations, insists the structures "cannot be the art of nature".

The self-styled explorer with an Indiana Jones-like hat and clothes began his Bosnian pyramid crusade in April this year after visiting the remnants of a medieval royal palace at the top of the hill.

Osmanagic, a businessman and author of several books on other civilisations, says the two "constructions" are precisely aligned with the compass to the four corners of the world.

He says he sees astonishing similarities between them and Mexican pyramids dating back to about 200 AD, which also come in pairs, one representing the sun and the other the moon.

'I'm not doing this for my own glory'
This is why he calls Visocica hill "the Bosnian pyramid of the sun".

Osmanagic says he believes builders from an unknown civilisation shaped the hill into a "step pyramid" then coated it with a kind of primitive concrete.

The structure now stands 70m high, with a square base that is 220m by 220m.

After conducting initial probes about 17m into the earth that revealed "numerous anomalies in the soil," Osmanagic says he returned to the site with a team of people to start his initial excavation work.

Nadja Nukic, a geologist at the site, said she was most puzzled by three layers of brown polished stone that lie an equal distance from each other underground.

The team began excavating a few spots at the site this week, with the work expected to be completed in two weeks. They hope to be able to uncover one of the pyramid steps and larger pieces the mysterious brown stone for further analysis.

To back his insistence that the two structures are ancient pyramids, Osmanagic says his diggers uncovered slabs of polished sandstone that formed the "paved entrance" to the structures.

The director of the Visoko Historic Heritage museum, Senad Hodovic, admits he is no sceptic.

"The pyramids are obviously the work of man. But we need proper and serious analysis to show who built them and when."

Hodovic says he has spent years urging authorities to support archaeological research of the plateau of the hill, which is recorded in historic annals as the site of a medieval Bosnian town.

He says the shape and monumentality of the pyramids is not typical for middle-ages Bosnian constructions.

Osmanagic, who has lived in the United States for the past 15 years where he runs a metal workshop business, says he has no ambitions of becoming famous.

"I'm not doing this for my own glory. I just want to encourage local authorities to seriously deal with this site which could become Bosnia's most profitable product," Osmanagic said.

Thinking of profit, a successful local businessman recently bought most of the area on the plateau where 'pyramid entrance' lies.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:43
Until they have made thorough excavations, I'll remain *very* sceptical. Looks suspiciously like regular hills.

A mound on top of it is not very unbelievable, they are on the contrary quite common.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:45
Some of the pics look very regular for hills, i wouldn't rule out a burial mound, or even a man manipulated hill for some other purpose. The tops look to small for hill forts, so i guess that one is out.
Arrrgh!!"
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:52
^ Well the very top used to be a Royal castle.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 14:57
Hmmm, could it be a royal castle built ontop of an earlier older fort?
Arrrgh!!"
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:00
^ Could be anything, but it's been my experience with Bosnia that if villagers have been saying something for centuries, it's usually true. They've been calling them pyramids for as far back as anybody can tell.

So who knows? There's something there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>