Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMove over Egypt, Europes pyramids are older and bigger!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move over Egypt, Europes pyramids are older and bigger!
    Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:31
HUGE NEWS!

The village of Visoko, near Sarajevo, has received official confirmation from the United Nations of something the locals have long suspected - that the hill around which their village was built is in fact man made.

Long associated with the ancient Bosnian religion of the Sun God, Visoko's confirmed pyramid was larger than the Grand Pyramid at Giza when first built and carbon dating suggests far older. There are several other suspected pyramids in the immediate vicinity which have yet to be confirmed.

"First European Pyramid: Bosnian Sun Pyramid":

Other nearby sites:

This is not a joke, I'll post more information as soon as I can find some!

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:34
those plans make it look VERY suspiciously like a Mesoamerican pyramid.  ANd even if its real it doesnt top the biggest oldest pyramid of them all in China.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:38
^ I don't think it tops much in it's current state, and the plans are only a hypothesis - but for Europe, it's a huge deal. And for Bosnia, it's an enormous deal.

Croats and Serbs have long insisted that Bosnian pagans were an isolated, simple people - despite the fact that we are the only ones with any pre-medieval relics in this area. Croatia and Serbia have nothing that predate ancient Bosniak tombstones, and so on.

There's also talk this could finally be the ancient city of VrhBosna, mentioned in the records of several ancient empires but whose location has never been proven. It's currently suspected the Roman settlement of Imunisipia (Ilidza district, Sarajevo) is built on top of the site of VrhBosna (High Bosnia) but no one knows for sure.

At the very least, it will prove to be an important tourist attraction and national symbol!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 17:41
From the BBC News:

Europe's first pyramid?

Bosnia's leading Muslim daily Dnevni Avaz writes excitedly about "a sensational discovery" of "the first European pyramid" in the central town of Visoko, just north of Sarajevo.

Excavations at a hill site above the town have been going on for several months and initial analyses "have confirmed the original claim that this is Europe's first pyramid and a monumental building, similar in dimensions to the Egyptian pyramids."

"The pyramid is 100 metres high and there is evidence that it contains rooms and a monumental causeway ... The plateau is built of stone blocks, which indicates the presence at the time of a highly developed civilisation," the daily explains.

"Archaeological excavations near the surface have uncovered a part of a wall and fragments of steps," it reveals.

"Visocica hill could not have been shaped like this by nature," geologist Nada Nukic tells the daily. "This is already far too more than we have anticipated, but we expect a lot more from further analysis," she concludes.

Doesn't look good that our media is hyping the claims, but we'll see.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 18:01
"The pyramid predates the arrival of Slavs to this region so it is not reasonable to suggest it is in any way a reflection of the culture of Bosnia's peoples, whom have lived in this area only since the fifth and sixth century. But this does not change the nature and certainly not the importance of our discovery. What we are having here is a pyramid, constructed by man, that is at least 100 meters high, and at least 3,500 years old. Whether it is the Illyrians, the Greeks, the Egyptians does not matter. Our country is host to this important site and we will work to determine exactly what is it and to prepare it for the world." - Nada Nurkic
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 18:12
Originally posted by Mila

"The pyramid predates the arrival of Slavs to this region so it is not reasonable to suggest it is in any way a reflection of the culture of Bosnia's peoples, whom have lived in this area only since the fifth and sixth century. But this does not change the nature and certainly not the importance of our discovery. What we are having here is a pyramid, constructed by man, that is at least 100 meters high, and at least 3,500 years old. Whether it is the Illyrians, the Greeks, the Egyptians does not matter. Our country is host to this important site and we will work to determine exactly what is it and to prepare it for the world." - Nada Nurkic

You shouldn't think that your people arrived to Bosnia in the 7th century: Slavs arrived there but most of the original people surely remained as well. The resulting population is a mixture and most likely basically what existed before slavization. You are the descendants of the people who built it, don't have doubts about it, even if then they called themselves Dalmatians or whatever.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 18:16
Originally posted by Tobodai

those plans make it look VERY suspiciously like a Mesoamerican pyramid. ANd even if its real it doesnt top the biggest oldest pyramid of them all in China.

Nah...My ancestors built a flying ship and traveled to Europe to gave them the instructions how to build a Teotihuacan Sun Pyramid Fashion

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 18:35
Originally posted by Maju

Originally posted by Mila

You shouldn't think that your people arrived to Bosnia in the 7th century: Slavs arrived there but most of the original people surely remained as well. The resulting population is a mixture and most likely basically what existed before slavization. You are the descendants of the people who built it, don't have doubts about it, even if then they called themselves Dalmatians or whatever.

To a limited extent, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bosniaks:

Genetic analysis of indigenousness

In 2005 various South European medical schools and institutions specializing in genetics did an analysis of the variation at 28 Y-chromosome biaUelic markers among a sample of males from throughout Bosnia and Herzegovina, relatively equally split among all three major ethnic groups. The most notable find was the high frequency of the "Paleolithic European" halo group (Hg) I; specifically its sub-halo group I-P37. Indicative of Dinarics, the sub-halo group had a frequency of 71% among Bosnian Croats, 44% among Bosniaks, and 31% among Bosnian Serbs. A similar study in Croatia found that Croatian Croats had a frequency of about 45%, but that among them Croats in Dalmatia had a particularly high frequency (around two thirds).

The high frequency of I-P37 among Croats in Bosnia and Dalmatia can be explained by the fact that Catholics in those regions historically mixed very little with other people. The smaller frequency among Croats in Croatia and Bosniaks is probably due to the various foreigners that were assimilated over the years. The study mentioned above confirmed that the Bosniak gene pool was impacted by foreigners from various regions in the Ottoman Empire more so than that of the other two groups, but not in a significant amount overall.

It must be taken into account that out of the study's Bosniak subjects none came from Bosanska Krajina. Based on historical factors associated with the region, it could be expected that the inclusion of Bosniak subjects from this regions would have raised the frequency of I-P37 and Slav-associated sub-halo groups while lowering the frequency of Mediterranean related sub-halo groups among Bosniaks overall. Future genetic studies will hopefully shed more light on these issues. As it stands, current studies have shown that, genetically, Bosniaks are largely indigenous and have a large fraction of the ancient gene pool distinctive for the Balkan area.

Edited by Mila
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 19:14
That's really fascinating.

Is it completely made out of stone or are some parts just packed in dirt?
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 19:34
Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Originally posted by Tobodai

those plans make it look VERY suspiciously like a Mesoamerican pyramid.  ANd even if its real it doesnt top the biggest oldest pyramid of them all in China.

Nah...My ancestors built a flying ship and traveled to Europe to gave them the instructions how to build a Teotihuacan Sun Pyramid Fashion

and even before Teotihuacan was built.
They were even able to time travel!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 20:29
What's the dating of the pyramid, if any? I've read above that it is "at least 3,500 years old". 1500 BCE is not older than the Egyptian pyramids of Gizah, which were built around 2700-2500 BCE, nor that of Saqqarah, which is even older.

Anyhow it is a great and surprising discovery and I'm eager that you post some links.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:56
Have there been archeological surveys on it that detail the actual structure?
Or is it just a man made mound?

If its the latter there are tons of them all over Europe and beyond.
Arrrgh!!"
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 22:03
^ Don't know yet. They know it has internal passages, and they suspect it has internal rooms.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 22:16
Its an intresting question though, considering the sudden explosion of 'pyramids found in x' stories.
At would point does a burial mound, however symetricaly constructed, become a 'pyramid' as generaly percieved in the imaginations of people?

Not that i'm trying to be a spoil sport, this is indeed intresting, but it does seem that almost anything can become a pyramid these days, i guess Brits should join the vibe and start claiming that their more intresting burial mounds and barrows are infact pyramids too. Anything for those tourist dollars

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 22:56
^ Hehehe. No, it's okay, really. I don't care what it is as long as it's respected and brings our country a little something good. I mean, it could be a popular tourist mound...or a pyramid that opens the gates of hell...

It's an interesting question.

I'd say size, construction methods, purpose, possibly shape?

A large structure made of individual blocks of stone built into a triangular shape I'd call a pyramid. A heap of soil and rocks piled up by man I'd call a mound.

Where one becomes the other, beats me.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:09
It tend to agree with you on the mound vs pyramid front, but, bigger mounds have underlying structures that help to hold the earth and rocks in place, and those structures are, well, pyramid like.
Arrrgh!!"
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:16
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:31
Originally posted by Cywr

It tend to agree with you on the mound vs pyramid front, but, bigger mounds have underlying structures that help to hold the earth and rocks in place, and those structures are, well, pyramid like.

From what I've seen so far of the Bosnian Sun Pyramid - I don't know if they're only showing what they've uncovered so far, but they seem to depict just the top of the mountain, one full side in the front, and half of both sides - like it's built into an already-existing mountain. But none of what they've said about it suggests this, so...?
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:31
I know the pyramids in Egypt were built using slave workers who really were treated badly and their fatality rate was so high from exhaustion and heat. I don't know how the pyramids in Mexico or the recent one in Bosnia were built, but I don't think it will be far from using cheap (if it wasn't free slave workers) labors. I just cannot imagine them hiring locals with pay checks to do that killing job

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 23:51
Actualy, the early Pyramids in Egypt were built with semi-volentary labour, basicly seasonal conscripted labour, who weren't slaves.
Some of hte later pyramids were made with slaves though, as well as the other tombs.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>