Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to the Huns?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Turkoglu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turkoglu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to the Huns?
    Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 10:07
The word derives from the old Slavic word ǫg(ъr- for the proto-Magyars. Through Germanic languages, the word got into other European languages ((H)ungarus, (H)ungarn, Vengry etc.). The Slavic word is thought to be derived from the Bulgaro-Turkic Onogur, possibly because the proto-Magyars were neighbours (or confederates) of the Empire of the Onogurs in the 6th century, whose leading tribal union was called the "Onogurs" (meaning "ten tribes").

The H- in many languages (Hungarians, Hongrois, Hungarus etc.) is a later addition. It was taken over from the word "Huns", which was a similar semi-nomadic tribe living some 400 years earlier in present-day Hungary and having a similar way of life (or according to the older theories the people from which the Magyars arose). In ancient times, through the middle ages, and even today, the identification of Hungarians with the Huns has often occurred in history and literature, however this identification began to be disputed around the late 19th century, and is still a source of major controversy among scholars who insist that there could be no direct connection between the two.

Hun names like Attila and R幧a are still popular among Hungarians, and forms derived from Latin Hungaria are used like in the racetrack Hungaroring (mostly due to the strong English language pressure in tourism and international matters).

Magyar is today simply the Hungarian word for Hungarian. In English and many other languages, however, Magyar is used instead of Hungarian in certain (mainly historical) contexts, usually to distinguish ethnic Hungarians (i.e. the Magyars) from the other nationalities living in the Hungarian kingdom.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 12:47

Originally posted by Bosniathebestcountry

ive also heards that the avars were responsible for the movement of serbs and croats towards the south and  have also merged with the slavs. the magyars then came afterwards and settled where the avars were now in the present day hungary seperating us from the russians, the poles, the checzks, plus the germanzition of austria where there used to be a slavic country. And the westerners were so scared of the huns that whoever came from the east they thought it was them. But magyars and huns i think are two completely different tribes. the english call it hungary while we bosnians serbs croats call them Madjarska. How do you hungarians call your country?

They call themselves Magyar-just like we do, Bosanac.And u were basically right about avars, huns and magyars.The thing about south slavs is that we 're slavs the least of all ( genetically ).We're the descendants of the pre-slav populations-illyrians,thracians,dacians,romans,and pre indo-european peoples of the balcans.Yet, we feel slavic and our language is slavic.Btw, Magyars r  mostly slavic genetically,since as u said there was a lot of slavs living in todays hungary before Magyars came.Infact, they're more slavic then we are.

And Serbs and Croats are originally Sarmatians-not that it makes any difference...

Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 04:04

i dont agree with you at all. yes, we do have some genes of the tribes youve named i believe, but we ARE slavic. i dont understand why we couldnt be. Our language is very much slavic. russians are pure slavs and we act alot like they do, speak almost the same as they do while magyars have a completely different language. So i dont know how your theory can be true that magyars are more slavic than we are.

I havent done genetic testing, id really like to but judging by my looks, i dont look italian, or arabic, or aryan either, i mostly look like an oriental (people have always told me this)...with much whiter skin. And i was born in northern bosnia, i believe most of my recent ancestors from my mothers and fathers side came from serbia. Although ive only had one half serbian friend, the rest were all bosnian and bosnian-croat. and ive also lived in Zagreb croatia, now im in america. I hope to live in my country again someday.

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:09

i dont agree with you at all. yes, we do have some genes of the tribes youve named i believe, but we ARE slavic. i dont understand why we couldnt be. Our language is very much slavic. russians are pure slavs and we act alot like they do, speak almost the same as they do while magyars have a completely different language. So i dont know how your theory can be true that magyars are more slavic than we are.

I havent done genetic testing, id really like to but judging by my looks, i dont look italian, or arabic, or aryan either, i mostly look like an oriental (people have always told me this)...with much whiter skin. And i was born in northern bosnia, i believe most of my recent ancestors from my mothers and fathers side came from serbia. Although ive only had one half serbian friend, the rest were all bosnian and bosnian-croat. and ive also lived in Zagreb croatia, now im in america. I hope to live in my country again someday.

Bosnian, u misunderstood me ! Magyars r not Slavs, but they do have a lot of slavic ''blood'' so to speak( this is what i meant).

We are mainly the offsprings of those pre-slavic peoples.Just look at the genetic maps !Better yet, look at us! And not even the russians and poles r pure slavs ! I bet u thought that english r germanics-well check again-u'd be surprised !

Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:18

Genetic maps....what are those, can you show those?

English people id say are germanic-celtic.... are they not?

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 05:28

I cannot find one.I've been searching for some time, but nothing.Try on this forum.

English people id say are germanic-celtic.... are they not? They r Germanics (genetically) as we r Slavs

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 10:57

Genetic maps....what are those, can you show those?

English people id say are germanic-celtic.... are they not?

What's that? What's the genetics of "Germanic-Celtic"?

Those are just linguistic groups. There's no such thing as a Germanic, Celtic or Latin genetics. Nor there's a Slavic genetics either.

Genetics is a complex matter that must be taken with care but I bet you that languages and identities move a lot faster than genes normally.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2006 at 20:24
Yeah, but there is a big connenction between the two. In some countries more than others though. Like for example, an african-american speaks english but in no way is he genetically english.
khaan's son View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote khaan's son Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Mar-2006 at 03:41

where were the Huns from?

i'm from mongolia.

Of course Attila*s Huns were part of Mongolian first empire named by Hun (hunnu).

In my oppinion  because of  encient Mongolians nomadic civilization, sometimes the mongolians stepped into Hungary .I heard that Mongolia and Hungary have almost same wheather. After the Hunnu's defeat, some of them traveled and fought till Hungary.

Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 18:29
Huns are  an old civilization.
The question is what hapened to them.
I placed my view on this potic on a wrong bord but here it goes again:
My father and uncle(Hungarians-Magyarok) teased me when i was young that one day i would/or would be involved with a girl that has eyes as big as apples.Saying this they would take a fist and metaphore it as one eye so you get the idea on how big that eye is.
Further,i saw only two girls in my life(25y/o) that match that description.I saw one on Hungarian television singing in a folk ansamble and the other while i was studying in Belgrade(Serbia).The other one i saw in real life and i know that her name is Anita ,a comon Magyar(Hungarian) even a Slavic or other name.This girl i saw is Hun defenitly(not magyar or serb or whatever)
So this was the briefing on HOW TO SPOT A HUN,...lol
I could go on and on about , as i call it, that specific kind of beauty but
 for now lett me asure you that Huns do exsist and if you saw them you would be sure of that. These girls dont look "normal" by any standard,be it Europian or Asian.Very beautiful but degustibus non est desputandum.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 21:02
So "Death" you wanna say all the time that you saw a "Hun" in real life? And believe in their existents?
Death View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 22:30
YES man,i described how they look.
Thes two girls i saw were completly diferent,one-Anita- was dark skined(brown and yellow),the other-the TV girl-was white.Both very woman like,large female atributes(yeah,but im not jokeing).About 160-165cm(the tv girl i can just guess).
Very,very large EYES.
When you see a woman like that you stopand ask yourself,is she beautiful or ugly?Then you get it- she looks like a real woman,not that nonsens fashon skiny everyday woman you see.
So its not strange the Huns were so good wariors,when you have a woman like that you want to keep her!Oh man i cant explane..............
Once again YES i saw them.
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:38
Every hungarian chronicle writes down clearly the Arpad is the 5 th descendant of Attila's bloodline.

After the death of Attila,,yes he sons were fighting over teh control, but noone could keep it in strong hands. the unity failed, but the huns didnt dissaper. some moved back to eurasian stepeps, some stayed in Transylvania and the Carpathian basin.
Attila kir獺ly katon獺ja
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:41
Originally posted by Turkoglu

The word derives from the old Slavic word ヱg(r- for the proto-Magyars. Through Germanic languages, the word got into other European languages ((H)ungarus, (H)ungarn, Vengry etc.). The Slavic word is thought to be derived from the Bulgaro-Turkic Onogur, possibly because the proto-Magyars were neighbours (or confederates) of the Empire of the Onogurs in the 6th century, whose leading tribal union was called the "Onogurs" (meaning "ten tribes").

The H- in many languages (Hungarians, Hongrois, Hungarus etc.) is a later addition. It was taken over from the word "Huns", which was a similar semi-nomadic tribe living some 400 years earlier in present-day Hungary and having a similar way of life (or according to the older theories the people from which the Magyars arose). In ancient times, through the middle ages, and even today, the identification of Hungarians with the Huns has often occurred in history and literature, however this identification began to be disputed around the late 19th century, and is still a source of major controversy among scholars who insist that there could be no direct connection between the two.

Hun names like Attila and R嚙糊a are still popular among Hungarians, and forms derived from Latin Hungaria are used like in the racetrack Hungaroring (mostly due to the strong English language pressure in tourism and international matters).

Magyar is today simply the Hungarian word for Hungarian. In English and many other languages, however, Magyar is used instead of Hungarian in certain (mainly historical) contexts, usually to distinguish ethnic Hungarians (i.e. the Magyars) from the other nationalities living in the Hungarian kingdom.

Magyar is not just an ethnic, but amagyar is also a language! Ther are huns who speak magyar, and there are magyars who speak magyar.
Attila kir獺ly katon獺ja
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:53
Originally posted by Socrates

ive also heards that the avars were responsible for the movement of serbs and croats towards the south and  have also merged with the slavs. the magyars then came afterwards and settled where the avars were now in the present day hungary seperating us from the russians, the poles, the checzks, plus the germanzition of austria where there used to be a slavic country. And the westerners were so scared of the huns that whoever came from the east they thought it was them. But magyars and huns i think are two completely different tribes. the english call it hungary while we bosnians serbs croats call them Madjarska. How do you hungarians call your country?

Btw, Magyars r  mostly slavic genetically,since as u said there was a lot of slavs living in todays hungary before Magyars came.Infact, they're more slavic then we are.

Magyars have low % of slavic blood. Stop this stereotypes. Slavs were in little number in hungary before the magyars came backk to their homeland. Scytians, avars, huns, siculi, vandals, goths lived there. Slavs were mostly shepards and pastors on the Balcans, No offense, but slavs got writigns skills just in the late 10th century..
Attila kir獺ly katon獺ja
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 21:57

We call our homeland: Magyarorsz獺g (orsz獺g-country)
Attila kir獺ly katon獺ja
Vorian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Vorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 22:08
Hungarians seem very slavic to me...no offense.
Hungo View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Hungo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Mar-2009 at 22:11
for me it looks different. Believe me i live here and i seen many magyars and slavs in my life. I can make difference. i understand its hard for foreginers. Huns and magyars were way more large group of ppl then slavs.
cheers
Attila kir獺ly katon獺ja
Afsar Beghi View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Afsar Beghi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2009 at 19:32
I think they mostly settled in the regio of Hungary.
Dont forget they were not an ethnic homogenic tribe when they were in Hungary, but putting that aside Hungarians can claim theyre descendants of the Huns.
If you feel Hunnic, you are Hunnic, nobody can change that.

Dadaloğlum bir gun kavga kurulur,
Oter tufek davlumbazlar vurulur,
Nice ko yiğitler yere serilir,
Olen 闤r kalan sağlar bizimdir!
Pistolero View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pistolero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2009 at 08:11
According to my knowledge, after the Battle of Nedao, the Huns (then more or less united even after Attila's death) split into different confederations, the Altyn Oba Horde, and later the Kutrigurs and Utigurs (who became known as the Bulgars later in history I believe).
"The first duty of every Starfleet officer is to the truth, whether it's scientific truth or historical truth or personal truth!"

-Captain Jean-Luc Picard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>