Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What happened to the Huns?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What happened to the Huns?
    Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 16:26

After Atilla's death, his empire crumbled.

I always wondered what exactly happened to the Huns? The actual people lived in Germany I believe at about the time of Atilla's death. Did these people pack up and leave? Did they settle and blend in with the local poulation?

These Huns are believed to be from Asia and woudl no doubt have Asian features. Are there any people living in Central Europe with such characteristics?

Thanks in advance.

Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 19:36
I'm sure a lot went back to Central Asia but a lot also stayed in Europe.  They mixed a lot with the locals and lost their culture over time.  Today there is a group in Hungary that claims to be the decendents of Huns and just recently tried to get offical recognition from Hungary as a minority group but have failed.
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 20:37
Attila is a common first name in Hungary as well.
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 21:55
It's very common in Turkish too.  Also, from what I know of other Turk cultures, it's commonly used among them too.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 06:58
strange i hear a family member of mine is called Arpad and other Atilla, arpad is an Hungarian king also Atilla (for any sence).
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:01
A lot of them mixed with other people such as the Avars and various Germanic groups. Some others went back to the steppes.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:09
Avars and Bulgars mostly, Magyars not, they came much later, the Attila name thing in modern Hungary is only since recently and has no historical basis. remember the Hungarian tanks in ww2 were called Turan.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 16:21
Originally posted by Loknar

After Atilla's death, his empire crumbled.

I always wondered what exactly happened to the Huns? The actual people lived in Germany I believe at about the time of Atilla's death. Did these people pack up and leave? Did they settle and blend in with the local poulation?

These Huns are believed to be from Asia and woudl no doubt have Asian features. Are there any people living in Central Europe with such characteristics?

Thanks in advance.

After Attilas death, his sons fought each other for power. At the battle of Nedao in present day Hungary in 454, an alliance of Gepids and Ostrogoths decisevly defeated the huns under their king Ellac, son of Attila. After that, the huns ceased to be a power. The huns were never a homogenous people. Their elite originated from Asia and looked like mongols, but at the time of Attila and his successors the hunnic realm incorporated many different ethnicities who often intermarried. After the collapse of the hunnic realm, many of them took up farming and assimilated with germanic peoples like the goths. Others moved east and continued with pastoral nomadism, becoming the ancestors of bulgarians and magyars

Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 17:02
Some people are really confused with "Asian features", so please keep in mind that Huns were Turkic, not Chinese.
Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 03:46
Originally posted by DayI

strange i hear a family member of mine is called Arpad and other Atilla, arpad is an Hungarian king also Atilla (for any sence).
Is Arpad a common name in Turkey? I have always thought that this is an exclusively Hungarian name.
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 04:16

Huns, according to their contemporary writers like Priscus who actually described them rather accurately, can be now said to have had clearly Mongoloid characteristcs (eye shape, cheeks etc. etc.). AFAIK the case for the origins of the Hunns is definitely not a closed case, and those who advocate them being Mongolic are as many as those advocating they were Turkic.

Also, the Hun society was not based on race. Priscus, again, goes to great pains to count all the non-Huns living in the court of Attila (which he visited as member of two Byzantine delegations and stayed there for quite a long time). He mentions several "Romans" and specifically "Greeks" ("Hellenes" the name he uses) as being high-ranked officials of Attila's court and even Attila's trustees. Almost all of them had married Hunnic women and their children were raised more than Hunns than anything else.

One of them, a (as Priscus describes him) hellenized Gothic "Roman" (a Roman citizen of Gothic ancestry speaking Greek, might be the case - he calls him "Hellen" which means "Greek" in more than one ocassions, he then tells us that his ancestors were Goths and concludes that he was a Roman citizen, living in Illyria previously)  specifically stated "I am a Hunn now, don't ask me to betray my people", when Priscus and another Roman tried to persuade him to plot with them against his master. Apparently, the same person survived the death of Attila and the breakup of his empire and is mentioned in another source a few years after Priscos. Can't remember his name now, if anyone here has read Priscus he might provide us with it.

Raider View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Raider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 04:29

Flavius Orestes was also a courtsman of Attila and later his son became the last Western Roman emperor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orestes_%28Roman_soldier%29

arfunda View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote arfunda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 06:08

Once had watched a documentary film in a Turkish channel showing a town in Germany. Its inhabitants had some Mongoloid features and they were believed to come from Huns. But I don't remember the name of the town.

Nowdays I am interested in genetcal researces, especially in Y chromosome and mtDNA studies. A few monts ago I met somebodies Y chromosome results on the web. He was a man from USA and he was examining his roots by means of Y ch. and surname (nowadays this kind of geneology projects are very popular in USA and Europe). His family origin was from Germany and his grandfather and mother had come to USA in 1800's. Y chromosome is a marker in men that is showing paternal origin. t passes from father to son. His Y chromosome results showed that his paternal origin was from Central Asia and he said that this showed his Central Asian origin, which came to Germany during the Hunnic invasion.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 07:47
Originally posted by Raider

Originally posted by DayI

Is Arpad a common name in Turkey? I have always thought that this is an exclusively Hungarian name.
i dunno but i whas little bit shocked when ive saw that name in ours phonebook.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 08:04

Originally posted by Bar

Some people are really confused with "Asian features", so please keep in mind that Huns were Turkic, not Chinese.

Why do you think Asiatic features belongs only to Chinese?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 09:49
Originally posted by ok ge

I don't, but some people do.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 11:18

Raider,

In Ottoman's times (circa 450 years ago) did some Magyars move to Turkey, first moves where to Izmit/Gebze then later the second move to Antalya/Serik - macar ky - gebiz ky (ky is village).

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:40

Aren't modern Hungarians descendants of the Huns? Bulgars are only rather distant relatives of the latter, although in the "List of Bulgarian khans", which is a Russian source from the 16th century, Atila  is mentioned as khan of the Bulgars. Modern Bulgarian scholars question its reliability, but still it adds another small mystery to the big puzzle.

BTW, how did Atila die? I saw the film "Atila", according to which he was poisoned by one of his wives. Is this true?

Edited by the Bulgarian
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 13:46

Originally posted by Bar

Originally posted by ok ge

I don't, but some people do.

Ok, so I guess nothing wrong with saying that the Huns had Asiatic and eastern siberian features.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 05:50

What happened to the Huns?

Turkish/Nomadic nations were similar to each others so it's a hard problem. Hunnic groups mainly assimilated into Bulgars. Other Huns were employed in the Byzantine army such as soldiers. A grandson of Attila, Mundus (perhaps Munjuk) became a Byzantine general. Huns had names ending 'ik' such as Kusik, Vasik, Irnik, etc. Inheritors of the Huns also had names ending 'ik', for example Apsik, Kandik from the Avars or the conqueror Bulgar khan, Asparik. I think Huns didn't assimilate into Hungarians, only Bulgarians and Avars with Hun origin.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>