Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

OK Turkey what is this all about?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OK Turkey what is this all about?
    Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:08
Can one of the 47,000 VERY proud Turks at this forum explain what this is all about?

The letters W and Q or is it O.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:11
SOme letters are forbidden in Turkish for some reason, so people with non-turkic names often had to spell it differently. But i thought they stopped fussing about that decades ago.
Wierd, spelling police

Edit: Like many alphabets, there are letters common in some that are not used in Turkish. Fair enough, there is no 'k' or 'q' in the Welsh alphabet, but it seems they go one step further and prevent anyone from using those letters, which is odd as surely that would prevent people writting in other languages, which i'm sure isn't the case.
SO how exactly does this work?

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:13
It seems like in Turkey everything is an arrestabel offense.  I bet you could be sent to prison for farting on the street! But maybe not as it didnt happen to me when I was there.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:15
Originally posted by Cywr

Wierd, spelling police

It's spelled "Weird" !!!!

Next time you're marched to the nearest cash-point!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:18
Originally posted by Komnenos

Wierd, spelling police

Arrrgh!!"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:29

SOme letters are forbidden in Turkish for some reason, so people with
non-turkic names often had to spell it differently. But i thought they
stopped fussing about that decades ago.

If they just have to change the spelling it's not so weird (I mean, eg Turks have to replace the funny letters in their names when they come to a Western country), but actually making the use illegal is... indeed weird.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:30

Sounds political to me too. Turkish not Kurdish yavol!

Ever go to a seaside Turkish resort and become utterly amused at the poor english skills written on some chalkboard restaurant menu? I guess the owners should be fined for ignorance. 'Oran Juz' or 'sandvic'. There too many ways to spell exhaust in Turkey. How about - egzost, exzhaust, etc. Fine 'em!

Edited by Seko
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 12:49
They're probably playing the Progressive mutations game.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 13:22

Edit: Like many alphabets, there are letters common in some that are not used in Turkish. Fair enough, there is no 'k' or 'q' in the Welsh alphabet, but it seems they go one step further and prevent anyone from using those letters, which is odd as surely that would prevent people writting in other languages, which i'm sure isn't the case.
SO how exactly does this work?

er erm!!

Originally posted by Komnenos

Wierd, spelling police

You're damn right!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 13:39
Originally posted by Zagros

er erm!!

Capital letters at the start of a sentence no matter how short it is, scumbag!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 13:55
Originally posted by Seko

Sounds political to me too. Turkish not Kurdish yavol!

You are damn right!

moutain Turks, not Kurds. What Kurds? do they really exist?

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 14:09
I am only a Spelling Nazi cadet...

Edited by Zagros
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 15:02

Can one of the 47,000 VERY proud Turks at this forum explain what this is all about?

I am not a proud Turk, but I can explain it.

Some fascists are 'interpreting' a revolutionary law from 1928 meant to change the alphabet, in order to oppress Kurds.

They'll probably complain to the higher court, which will overturn the ruling. Or if that doesn't happen, they'll go to the European Court of Human Rights, which will then make Turkey pay compensation to those people.   

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 16:52
Can you imagine anyone telling an American or an Aussie or a Canadian or an Englishman or a Spaniard or even a Frenchman they can't carry a sign because it has a Turkish symbols on it? I don't think so pal... Europe has so much wisdom to share with the world and then we read about this.

Turkey needs to grow up...

No laughs...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 17:18

Originally posted by dirtnap

Turkey needs to grow up...

No laughs...

Yes, this prove that as there are religious fanatics, there are athiests and nationalists who are fanatics too. These rotten laws are a group of old laws instituted late 1920's and earlier 1930's. One of thsese laws is called the the Law to Protect Ataturk, No. 5816, discrediting Turkey's image abroad, and insulting the Turkish General National Assembly, the government, the ministries, and the state security forces. Imagine if you are a US citizen who criticized George Washingotn and was sentenced to be punished by prisons and fines!

Anyhow, that only belongs to the ultra-Kemalists in the Turkish army. The country itself has a lot of open-minded and intellectuals who unfortunately don't have a voice in changing those laws.

Originally posted by dirtnap

How did u get the figure 47,000 proud turks at this forum? the number of subscriped members is slightly above 2,200 only!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 17:21
what's with 47.000? 
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 19:43
I think this happened only because those people are Kurds.  I remember seeing Uygurs in Turkey using their Arabic script in public on posters.  Nobody was fined there, or maybe that's just because their Turks.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 20:14
I meant 4,000 and that was only a guess as I have no idea of the real number of AE members who claim Turkey as their nationality but the Turks certainly seem to be the majority in this forum and their English is better than mine, hmm...

Reversing these descriminative laws and improving your treatment in the mental health care system will go a long way in the eyes of the international community. So that becoming a memeber of the EU will be a sure fit as opposed to having to "argue" for it. In light of having these current oppressions I am astonished at Turkeys boldness to justify their right to join the EU which represents justice and the exact opposite in the treatment of humanity...

Unbelievable...

Edited by dirtnap
Aydin View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Suspended

Quote Aydin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 02:01
Turkey is occupying Iranian lands of our Kurds.
Power to the Kurds
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 02:14
Aydin is using a Turkish name!Return it back budy or choose a persian name

"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>