Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kaizer’s family after WW I?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kaizer’s family after WW I?
    Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 17:05
What happened to them?
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 17:38
which Kaiser? German or Austrian?
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 18:21
Unlike in Russia, the abdication of the last German Emperor went ahead without much ado and without any bloodshed.
The family of Kaiser Wilhelm II went with him into exile in the Netherlands, some of his many children went later back to Germany, there is a Great-Grandson of his, who is the current head of the House Hohenzollern and pretender to the throne, though not terribly actively.

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 19:09
I believe they still live in Buckingham Palace.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 07:22
German.Thanks.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 08:55
Wilhelm was exciled to a 'castle' (actualy more like a palace) in Doorn, in the province of Utrecht. I've been there, but not inside it, still, not a bad place to retire to.
Apparently there was a move to extradite him for trial by teh allies, but the Dutch queen at the time refused.
Arrrgh!!"
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 09:05
The family is still in Deutschland and they retain the title of Kaiser.  They have a website too i think
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 09:19
Eh, wouldn't you need some sort of recognition from the state? I know there are still German aristocratic families, but Kaiser is a whole different matter i would think.
Arrrgh!!"
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 09:44
Nah, in the republics such as Italy, Germany or France all aristocratic titles are private matters without any oficial recognition. It's diferent than in monarchies like Britain or Spain. I know because I have aristocratic Italian ancestors and they have no kind of recognition but for a private association of aristocrats.

So titles such as Kaiser, Baron or whatever are in those countries just a matter of family traditions with no official relevance whatsoever.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 13:47
Originally posted by ill_teknique

The family is still in Deutschland and they retain the title of Kaiser. They have a website too i think

The House of Hohenzollern is led by PrinzGeorg Friederich, who has neither the ambition nor a hope in hell ever to claim the title "Kaiser".
The only one who bears that title in Germany at the moment is Franz " Der Kaiser" Beckenbauer, who would beat poor Georg hands down if the Germans ever had to decide which of the two should rule them.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 14:58
the kaiserreich (empire) is banned in both Germany and Austria (i think Austria is even strikter, afaik Otto von Habsburg is not even allowed to style himself Prinz like Georg Friedrich). also, the non-existence of Prussia has been terminized by the allies for the de-nazification process, therefore Prinz Georg Firedrich has to style himself Markgraf (Marquis) von Brandenburg, the next highest title after Emperor of Germany and King of Prussia held by the heads of the Hohenzollern House. similar for Otto von Habsburg, the next highest legal title is Markgraf von Mhren (Marquis of Moravia) because Austria (empire), Hungary, Bohemia (Czech Republic) and Croatia (Kingdoms) have all banned the monarchy.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 15:16

Originally posted by Komnenos

The House of Hohenzollern is led by PrinzGeorg Friederich, who has neither the ambition nor a hope in hell ever to claim the title "Kaiser".
The only one who bears that title in Germany at the moment is Franz " Der Kaiser" Beckenbauer, who would beat poor Georg hands down if the Germans ever had to decide which of the two should rule them.

Pffff, this in nothing, in Greece we have a German of higher rank, Rehagel the Olympian

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:49

The Kaiser tried to get rid of his frustration by cutting down as many trees as possible.

The crownprince was a supporter of the NSDAP for some time (around 1932/33), but turned away when Hitler declared publicly that he wouldn't restore monarchy.

Wilhelm II himself wasn't so fond of the nazis at first, but he did send a congratulation to Hitler when German troops took Paris.

Post Reply Post Reply