Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical annoyances.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical annoyances.
    Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 10:26
2) Modern Macedonians were the same with the Ancient Macedon people.

Drives me crazy when Macedonian politicians and fake historians say that...

3) Modern Bulgarians were the same with the Bulgars. Huns were Bulgars, Bulgars were Huns.

What you say is true, most of the genes of modern day Bulgarians are said to be Slavic.  However, what is also not true is that the Bulgars were a horde of 50,000 nomadic warriors who had no impact on the Bulgarian ethnos.  They did... albeit not that much .

Huns were a conglomeration of tribes right?  That is how I have always been taught and what it says in history books which I have read.  What is interesting to note is that while there was Bulgars with the Huns (I don't know what percentage of the whole they represented) there is also sources that they were in Armenia and the Caucus at the same time.

Edited by Kubrat
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 11:22

Let me clarify something. The "Bulgars" were a union of various Turkic peoples of Oghur origin, some of them migrated to the Balkans, some of them settled on the Volga-Kama region. The Volga Bulgars are the ancestors of two peoples: the Chuvash and the Kazan Tatars (though the latter were formed after mixing with the Qypchaqs) while the Balkan Bulgars became Slavised.

Modern Bulgarians are mostly Slavised Latinised-Thracians and Slavs. The original Bulgars of the Balkans have disappeared, leaving only their name to their Slavic subjects.

OTOH, there were no "Bulgars" during the time of the Huns, there were many Oghur peoples, however. The Bulgars were formed from some of these Oghurs following the fall of the Hunnic Empire.

Edited by ihsan
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 18:08
OTOH?  What does that stand for?

And as far as I know, there are recordings of the Bulgars going back to 5th century BCE.  Also, while Attila was conquering Europe, there are records of Bulgars in Armenia.

Modern Bulgarians are mostly Slavised Latinised-Thracians and Slavs. The original Bulgars of the Balkans have disappeared, leaving only their name to their Slavic subjects.

Not only their name, many words and phrases are left in the language, the grammar is the only one of its kind in the Slavic world.  Also, especially in some north-eastern villages, some Bulgar traits (physical) are more evident.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 18:53
OTOH?  What does that stand for?

On The Other Hand.
Arrrgh!!"
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:13

Annoyances:

-The middle ages were dark

-everyone was stupid and deliberatly ignorant during the middle ages

-the "renaissance" changed living conditions and way of thinking among people at the time

-the greeks and romans were all sincere old men dressed in white and oliveleafs, who did nothing but discussed democratic politics and philosophy

-The conquistadors were superiour due to their primitive firearms (like if the cumbersome handguns and arqebuisses of the 15th-17th century were some kind of super-AK-47...)

-The mexicas (popularly known as aztecs) welcomed Cortz as a God 

-the huns were ethnic mongols, and that Attila was born in Mongolia

-Chinggis Khan conquered all of China (or that he was born there)

-Tibet is a historical Chinese region

-the smi is an asian people which migrated into Scandinavia from Siberia in the east

-the mongols lost at Liegnitz 1241 and were forced to retreat back to the east

-the american civil war was fought to liberate the slaves

-medieval european cavalry was superiour to any infantry prior to the 100-years war

-the longbow easily defeated armoured men-at-arms 

-People who died during the construction of the great wall of China were buried inside the bricks

TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:32
Dogs are man's best friend (it's really horses!)
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 18:14

Dogs are man's best friend (it's really horses!)

Horses may be my best friend but I'm their worst enemy. God I hate those smelly beasts.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 14:57

Originally posted by Kubrat

And as far as I know, there are recordings of the Bulgars going back to 5th century BCE.  Also, while Attila was conquering Europe, there are records of Bulgars in Armenia.

Well, that would be the Oghurs, not the Bulgars. Besides, there were even no Oghurs during the 5th c. BC.

Originally posted by Kubrat

Not only their name, many words and phrases are left in the language, the grammar is the only one of its kind in the Slavic world.  Also, especially in some north-eastern villages, some Bulgar traits (physical) are more evident.

Well, "Bulgar" would be the Western dialect of Old Turkic.

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 15:17
-

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2004 at 19:26
Originally posted by Mangudai

Annoyances:

-The middle ages were dark

Well, there were all those knights around....

get it?  Knights - nights?

Yes, I know....really bad joke....but hey, someone had to do it. 

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 09:09
Originally posted by Mangudai

-the greeks and romans were all sincere old men dressed in white and oliveleafs, who did nothing but discussed democratic politics and philosophy

Well, the rich ones did so all of the time, but most of the times when they were discussing about Ethics, Democracy & Philosophy, they were doing it naked, piss-drunk and with a bunch of good looking naked women (and boys) around them...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 12:32
Hmm, dogs were quite probably the first animal to be domesticated by Humans, around 14,000+ years ago, so annoying as those creatures can be, there is something to be said for the man's best friend thing, they've were humanity's hunting companions for a long time.
Though they are now obsolete, get a cat instead
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 13:38

dogs were not actively domesticated by humans with intent though, its far more likely they just scavenged around human junk piles and bred in the presence of humans on their own and gradually became more bold around people because of that.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 15:40

Actually dogs weren't really meant to be hunting companions in the beginning, at first they were an alternative food source. The creature that eats your scraps becomes friendlier and friendlier until it hangs around you all the time. Then comes famine and your best friend joins you for dinner in the back room of a korean resturaunt.

As to dog domestication, I've heard of a report done about a russian silver fox breeding program (to make fur coats) and how they bred the more docile ones so eventual the foxes became near-domesticated. Of course they stopped that policy when the foxes coats came out splotched and thus unable to be used for fur coats.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2004 at 19:45
Well all i know is that humans started hunting with dogs in northern Eurasia somewhere about 12-14,000 years ago. Supposidly based on tracing dog genes or something.
Hmm, was an article, maybe i should try digging it up.
Arrrgh!!"
I/eye View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote I/eye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2004 at 03:43

Then comes famine and your best friend joins you for dinner in the back room of a korean resturaunt.

actually, dog-eating wasn't because of famine, but because it was a smarter choice of meat than say a cow back in the times.

and it was eaten all over the world, it's just that Korea and China did a better job of keeping traditions alive

[URL=http://imageshack.us]
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 16:30

Originally posted by Cywr

im not too sure what your saying but hitler refuse to shake Jessie Owen's hands after winning a couple gold medals when one of his advisers suggested he do so...hitler was reported to say "you expect me to shake hands with a negro?"

No, Hitler only shook people's hands on the first day, after that, he just sat in the stand with the crowd, practicing his stiff wave. He did wave at Jessie, and smiled at him, but didn't specificly refuse to shake his hand, as he wasn't shaking anyone's hand that day.
Upon returning to the US after the Olympics, he was however snubbed by Roosevelt. Jessie Owens' autobigraphy should be proof enough. Its one of those things that started as popular myth, but has began to seep into the classrooms of late.
Hitler did refuse to shake hands with some non-Germans on the first day, but Jessie Owens was not amoungst them.

Egypt didn't have slaves at all in the Greek/Roman/European/southern US sense. They paid taxes in a way that could be confused with slavery. The average egyptian peasant farmer paid taxes by giving the pharaohs government a portion of his harvest 25% IIRC, and manual labour on public works projects while the nile was in flood. Where he got room and borad and medical care. On his flooded farm lands he would get jack.

http://www.ouruniquegift.com

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 16:43
Huh?
You quote me on Hitler, repost the exact same thing Lars said on Egypt (as if they were esomehow connected), and finish off with a link toa site that claims to sell plots of land (12 square inches??) on the shores of the sea of Galilee 

Hmm, a link i notice, which is also in your profile. Spam?

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 18:24
im new so here goes......the biggest historical annoyance is when people say that hitler was an evil man he wasnt. and so what if he had the little thought of getting rid of the jews....who cares that didnt affect us did it this new generation
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 11:11
what the hell is wrong today?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>