Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical annoyances.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical annoyances.
    Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:53
Oh... I think I mixed up readings
Grrr..
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 21:30
I think the CE, BCE one is purely stupid - before Christ's birth, all things that occured were "uncommon".... Cyrus must have been able to fly and Caesar must have been able to spew flames from his mouth...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 04:04

Originally posted by Cywr

im not too sure what your saying but hitler refuse to shake Jessie Owen's hands after winning a couple gold medals when one of his advisers suggested he do so...hitler was reported to say "you expect me to shake hands with a negro?"

No, Hitler only shook people's hands on the first day, after that, he just sat in the stand with the crowd, practicing his stiff wave. He did wave at Jessie, and smiled at him, but didn't specificly refuse to shake his hand, as he wasn't shaking anyone's hand that day.
Upon returning to the US after the Olympics, he was however snubbed by Roosevelt. Jessie Owens' autobigraphy should be proof enough. Its one of those things that started as popular myth, but has began to seep into the classrooms of late.
Hitler did refuse to shake hands with some non-Germans on the first day, but Jessie Owens was not amoungst them.

where did you get this information from? because i have read and listened from numerous sources that it was otherwise, and Hitler did refuse to shake hands with Owens after the 100m race and that he stormed out in frustration.

but im not disputing what you say Roosevelt said nor the first day hand shake bussiness.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 04:11
http://hnn.us/articles/571.html
The Wiki also has some mentions, can't renember under what.
Also, his autobiography clears the issue up too.

Originally posted by The Wiki

A persistent myth has grown up that Hitler had intended to use the games to promote "Aryan superiority", and was in the stadium for some of Owens' events but had refused to acknowledge him after his remarkable performances. In fact, in Owens' Autobiography, The Jesse Owens Story, Owens himself recounted how Hitler had stood up and waved to him:

"When I passed the Chancellor he arose, waved his hand at me, and I waved back at him. I think the writers showed bad taste in criticizing the man of the hour in Germany." - Jesse Owens, The Jesse Owens Story, 1970.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 05:07

That Athens was more of an oligarchy of the elite than a modern represenative democracy is hardly controversial. They did however, have a form of direct democracy in place, where by the voters (only males of a certain status) could vote directly on decisions, as opposed to just voting for suits, which makes them in that little niche, more democratic than many modern democracies.
Still, the Swiss do it better.

I said the same thing in a history paper; the Dutch also did a pretty good job when it came to running a country without a king.  My impression is that other Europeans didn't want to follow the Swiss and Dutch examples because they noted that both countries have unusual geography, and figured that democracy wouldn't work elsewhere for that reason.  Instead they waited until England tried it, followed by the United States and France.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 05:16
Originally posted by lars573

Egypt didn't have slaves at all in the Greek/Roman/European/southern US sense. They paid taxes in a way that could be confused with slavery. The average egyptian peasant farmer paid taxes by giving the pharaohs government a portion of his harvest 25% IIRC, and manual labour on public works projects while the nile was in flood. Where he got room and borad and medical care. On his flooded farm lands he would get jack.

Right, and did you hear what the archaeologists found when they excavated the camp of the pyramid builders, in addition to the fact that the food and health care were good?  Most of the people buried in the local cemetery were women and children, meaning that the workers brought their families with them.  And they came from every part of Egypt, instead of being dragged off the nearest farms.  Altogether  it seems to me that the Egyptians believed pyramid work was both a good-paying job and a patriotic duty, so I don't think they had much trouble recruiting people to do it.
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 05:24
Originally posted by Zulufrog

Wrageowrapper, what exactly did alexander the great do to be a real arse whole. i know that later on in his campaigns through persia he began to become more 'persian' by wearing their kind of gouns, and adopting their kind of culture whilst neglecting that of his own...also the ordering the raising of Persepolis to his soldiers when they went on looting and raping sprees...but is there more?

There certainly is.  Besides the destruction of Persepolis, a lot of people got killed everywhere he went, especially those close to him, like Cleitus and Parmenion.  And you may have heard how he crucified the physician who failed to cure his best friend, Hephaestion, when he drank himself to death.

Have you read "Carnage and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson?  At the end of the chapter on Arbela/Gaugamela, he suggests that Alexander had a lot more in common with Adolf Hitler than we'd like to admit; the main difference between them is that Alexander never lost a battle.  If Alexander had been killed at the Granicus or Issus, or if Hitler had succeeded in destroying the Soviet Union at Stalingrad, wouldn't we look at both characters very differently today?
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:07

Originally posted by Berosus

Have you read "Carnage and Culture" by Victor Davis Hanson?  At the end of the chapter on Arbela/Gaugamela, he suggests that Alexander had a lot more in common with Adolf Hitler than we'd like to admit; the main difference between them is that Alexander never lost a battle.  If Alexander had been killed at the Granicus or Issus, or if Hitler had succeeded in destroying the Soviet Union at Stalingrad, wouldn't we look at both characters very differently today?

Good that you have read the book but (although me makes this observation) he puts in in a totally different meaning than you try to present it. The whole chapter is in praise of Alexander's genious if you recall

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:19
I've heard that book is a load of crap.
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:29
Originally posted by Berosus

I said the same thing in a history paper; the Dutch also did a pretty good job when it came to running a country without a king.  My impression is that other Europeans didn't want to follow the Swiss and Dutch examples because they noted that both countries have unusual geography, and figured that democracy wouldn't work elsewhere for that reason.  Instead they waited until England tried it, followed by the United States and France.

The Netherlands were no democracy until 1848, and they did never claim that. Until 1795 'the Republic of the 7 United Netherlands' was a republic. Strangely enough, the head of state, the stadtholder, was hereditary. But most power was in the hands of an elite, so it was an oligarchy.
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:43

I've heard that book is a load of crap.

It depends on your point of view. It certainly does not pass unnoticed. One should remember that Hanson is a conservative and tends to make modern day projections of history. If you go past that, his books makes both an interesting read and a point of refference plus his theories are well founded.

I would suggest you to read it Cywr. It is certainly something that Classicists would approve and history-revisionists would burn.

Edited by Yiannis

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:47
But the Dutch had, on a local level, a form of consensus democracy at a fairly early date. Only on a local community level though, and not on a state level.
Its this that formed the part of the historic basis for the so called 'polder model' or more recent times. At least, IIRC.

Yiannis, its more that he makes very liberal generalisations, and intentionaly ignores anything that  doesn't fit with his ideas.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 06:56

intentionaly ignores anything that  doesn't fit with his ideas.

That's common practice amongst most historians  They stick stubbornly to their opinions.

Seriously now, not that much as you may think. I'll insist on you reading the book and then comment...

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 12:45

where did you get this information from? because i have read and listened from numerous sources that it was otherwise, and Hitler did refuse to shake hands with Owens after the 100m race and that he stormed out in frustration.

Actually I don't see why Hitler would refuse to shake his hand. Hitler had nothing against blacks. (Just so long as they didn't breed with his "pure aryan" race.) His only racist sentiments were towards the jews, and the slavs to a lesser extent.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 13:18
and gypsies
TMPikachu View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote TMPikachu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 13:52

China was full of dippy-peasants who only used gunpowder for fireworks.

Mongols won through sheer numbers.

Atilla was driven out by defeat.

Washington had wooden teeth (they were hippopotamus ivory)

Jesus is white.

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:42
well, Jesus IS (or rather was) white - if he ever existed that is...Semites are still Caucasian
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 14:57

Washington had Hipopotamus teeth...

White is usually a term only applied to European Caucasians, and even more specifically northern Europeans. Arabs are not called White although they are Semite and neither are Greeks.

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 16:47

[/quote]Washington had wooden teeth (they were hippopotamus ivory)[/quote]

-----

American soldiers during American Revolution had shiny blue clothes

George Washington was horseback with his good looking cloth during the entire revolution.

Grrr..
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Sep-2004 at 17:32

There are too many innacuracies to count....

Certainly Egyptian slave labor and Mongol numbers bother me the most but so does the presumption that anything south of the Sahara is incapable of making dynamic hitory or a civilization.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>