Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical annoyances.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical annoyances.
    Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 00:10
You know when you know something noone else
knows it just really bothers you. And that such
information is so hard to counter and it usually takes
years to fix and to put right. Like that Egypt didn't use
slave labour to build the pyramids, or that Alexander
the Great was in fact a real arsehole.
What do you think, in your own opinions, are some
historical coverups that just really annoy you to tears.

For me it was the idea that Taswegians were the
only people on Earth who did not know how to make
fire. Despite the fact that early colonists found spark
stones in their kits (the same kind of spark stones
the Brittish were still using) and then decided
because they didn't see them make fire that must
mean they didn't know how to make fire period.
Because of that this idea has been reproduced so
many times in academic literature that it took quite a
lot of time to set history right.

Anyways ill stop whinging now.
Nuenonne Palawa-kani wrageowrapper.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 00:53
That Galeleo was executed. People get the reason he was on trial wrong too.
That medival Europeans believed the earth was flat.
That Hitler refused to shake Jessie Owen's hand.
That Stonehenge was built by Celt-Britons.

Loads of stuff really, its more due to crappy high-school teachers than anything else. The standard of teacher's knowledge in many schools is a bit of a joke.

Btw, Egypt did use slave labour to build some pyramids, or was that the valley of kings, just that they didn't use them to build the pyramids at Giza.
Arrrgh!!"
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 04:53
That Iraq was invaded so the US could liberate them.
And all the reasons behind the supposed "liberation"
lars573 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote lars573 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 17:31
Egypt didn't have slaves at all in the Greek/Roman/European/southern US sense. They paid taxes in a way that could be confused with slavery. The average egyptian peasant farmer paid taxes by giving the pharaohs government a portion of his harvest 25% IIRC, and manual labour on public works projects while the nile was in flood. Where he got room and borad and medical care. On his flooded farm lands he would get jack.
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 17:43

My History teacher thinks AD means After Death ... Christ must have died as soon as he was born!

It is Anno Domini... Year of the Lord. And the funny thing is that she took World Religions course in University!

The misconception is that Jews were used as slave labour to "build" pyramids, but pyramids were no longer being built at that time (New Kingdom). Plus, if they are making bricks as bible states, what use will bricks have for building pyramids? Pyramids require massive limestone blocks, not some bloody bricks! 

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:36
Mastabas were made from bricks, and, IIRC, some of the raliest pyramids were too, there are a whole vareity of pyramids in Eygpt, its just that the ones at Giza steal all the limelight.

Many slaves in Egypt were effectivly indentured servants, still a form of slavery though, especialy if they entered against their will (which was the case with many during the middle and new kingdom peroids).
Arrrgh!!"
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:44
That there was only one so-called "Korean War," from 1950 to 1953.

Americans fought in Korea in 1871; you can see the flags they captured in the museum at West Point.  However, nobody else seems to have heard of that conflict.  Instead, they refer to the war of 1950-53 as "America's Forgotten War."  It gives me no end of confusion.  I insist on calling them the First and Second Korean Wars , but it doesn't seem to make the point clear to others.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:52
I think the one about Egyptians using massive slave labour (especially of the Hebrews) to build the Great pyramid is the most annoying and common one.
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:08
I have another one, though it may have the same
level as contorversy as the Egyptian one I mentioned
earlier.

That Athens had a democracy, and that because they
had a democracy they were light years ahead of
everyone else. For starters women in Egypt had
considereably more rights than those in Athens, in
fact women in Sparta had more bloody rights. I'm
sorry I just dont count the Athenian democracy as a
breakthrough in human development.

You can flame me now.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:14
Why would we want to do that?
Arrrgh!!"
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:22
Its just that ever history book and documentary
seems to make out how wonderful Athens was. It
sh*ts me to tears. So I was kinda figuring that some
people around here might say they are right and I am
full of it.

I'LL shut up now.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:33
That Athens was more of an oligarchy of the elite than a modern represenative democracy is hardly controversial. They did however, have a form of direct democracy in place, where by the voters (only males of a certain status) could vote directly on decisions, as opposed to just voting for suits, which makes them in that little niche, more democratic than many modern democracies.
Still, the Swiss do it better.
Arrrgh!!"
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:36
Mind you there was very little difference between the
Athenian democracy and the English democracy
from the first civil war to the 20th century.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:39

One of my greatest historical annoyances is vomitorium.

Many folks think its a room where Romans would go throw up between courses so they could eat more

It was actually the exit........a passageway in an amphitheater or theater that opened into a tier of seats from below or behind. The vomitoria of the Colosseum in Rome were so well designed that it's said the immense venue, which seated at least 50,000, could fill in 15 minutes.  The vomitoria deposited mobs of people into their seats and afterward disgorged them with equal abruptness into the streets--whence, presumably, the name.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 19:44
Hmm, no, English Democracy never had that stake in all decision making that Athens for some time had.
You voted for your representative, and that was it, whether you were a landlord, or from the 1800s, a male with a job, and later with universal sufferage, anyone above 18. There is still little in the way of direct influence on decision making within the House of Commons and the House of lords.
England's was an 'aspiring' (not like it was planned) representative democracy, where by you elect some one to represent you in decision making, without actualy being able to take part in that decision making.
Of course, England was a large country, where as Athens was a city state of some quarter of a million people, only a fraction of whom are taking part in teh decision making process, so it was arguably more practical to implement.
But yeah, there is an essential difference, direct Vs representative Democracy (albeit, not very inclusive Democracies).
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:05

Wrageowrapper, what exactly did alexander the great do to be a real arse whole. i know that later on in his campaigns through persia he began to become more 'persian' by wearing their kind of gouns, and adopting their kind of culture whilst neglecting that of his own...also the ordering the raising of Persepolis to his soldiers when they went on looting and raping sprees...but is there more?

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:11

That Hitler refused to shake Jessie Owen's hand

Actually, according to what I've heard, he dropped out of the running during the running becasue he had to participate in this other stuff.  He even clapped for him...?

Grrr..
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:26
Originally posted by demon

That Hitler refused to shake Jessie Owen's hand

Actually, according to what I've heard, he dropped out of the running during the running becasue he had to participate in this other stuff.  He even clapped for him...?

im not too sure what your saying but hitler refuse to shake Jessie Owen's hands after winning a couple gold medals when one of his advisers suggested he do so...hitler was reported to say "you expect me to shake hands with a negro?"

Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:40
Originally posted by Evildoer

My History teacher thinks AD means After Death ... Christ must have died as soon as he was born!

It is Anno Domini... Year of the Lord. And the funny thing is that she took World Religions course in University!

The misconception is that Jews were used as slave labour to "build" pyramids, but pyramids were no longer being built at that time (New Kingdom). Plus, if they are making bricks as bible states, what use will bricks have for building pyramids? Pyramids require massive limestone blocks, not some bloody bricks! 

There's a new non-religious one now... BCE, Before Common Era, and CE, Common Era.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:44
im not too sure what your saying but hitler refuse to shake Jessie Owen's hands after winning a couple gold medals when one of his advisers suggested he do so...hitler was reported to say "you expect me to shake hands with a negro?"

No, Hitler only shook people's hands on the first day, after that, he just sat in the stand with the crowd, practicing his stiff wave. He did wave at Jessie, and smiled at him, but didn't specificly refuse to shake his hand, as he wasn't shaking anyone's hand that day.
Upon returning to the US after the Olympics, he was however snubbed by Roosevelt. Jessie Owens' autobigraphy should be proof enough. Its one of those things that started as popular myth, but has began to seep into the classrooms of late.
Hitler did refuse to shake hands with some non-Germans on the first day, but Jessie Owens was not amoungst them.
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>