Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scientists from Steppes and Central Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scientists from Steppes and Central Asia
    Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 12:28

According to the following link, he was born close to Baghdad but his family might be from Khwaresm:

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/A l-Khwarizmi.html

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Luv_ya_Azerbaijan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2006 at 16:47
Originally posted by bang

Originally posted by gok_toruk

Especial greetings to my brother, Bang. Na hilli sing?/ Qantay siz?

LOL....yakshi...ozeng nahili? are u from turkmenistan? if yes..then how aobut this 'natinng lay jigim....sapsem yekting lay jggim' ...i lived in turkemnistan over a year...and it was an amazin experience...

although im turkmen from afghanistan...but therez a huge difference in terms of accents and vocabulary...ours is heavifly influenced by farsi and yours is by russian.

and people hardly spoke turkmeni in ashgabhat....well that was in 1994....im sure things have changed now...

wow , so you're from Uzbekistan, I must say that I love Uzbeki rice, I once tried it and it was delicious , btw we say ''yaxshi'' too!!

Turk milletlerinin birlik yoluna!!!!
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 05:51
Isn't it 'yakhchi', 'geydash'?
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 09:59

Isn't it 'yakhchi', 'geydash'?

it's yaxshi, some people say yaxchi, those are most of the time people with a heavy russian accent

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 10:16
Originally posted by Luv_ya_Azerbaijan

Originally posted by bang

Especial greetings to my brother, Bang. Na hilli sing?/ Qantay siz?

LOL....yakshi...ozeng nahili? are u from turkmenistan? if yes..then how aobut this 'natinng lay jigim....sapsem yekting lay jggim' ...i lived in turkemnistan over a year...and it was an amazin experience...

although im turkmen from afghanistan...but therez a huge difference in terms of accents and vocabulary...ours is heavifly influenced by farsi and yours is by russian.

and people hardly spoke turkmeni in ashgabhat....well that was in 1994....im sure things have changed now...

wow , so you're from Uzbekistan, I must say that I love Uzbeki rice, I once tried it and it was delicious , btw we say ''yaxshi'' too!!

the word "yaxshi" is so popular in central asia (and in azerbaijan) wich i never heard of in Turkey or by Turkish people. I first understood with "yaxshi" "vahshi" in Turkish wich means wild

What does "yaxshi" mean? I forgot it

Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 11:46

well, yaxshi/yakhshi simply means ''good'' ''iyi'', Azeri Turks from Iqdir/Turkey use it aswell. 

ben yahshi ve vahshiyim  

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 13:22
Ben Turkiyeli kardeshlerden 'yahshi' chok ish*tmishtim. Alp Er Tunga bana dedi 'yahshi'yi, dogu Turkiyede chok kullaniyorlar.
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 13:23
Ben Turkiyeli lerden 'yahshi' chok ish*tmishtim. Alp Er Tunga bana dedi 'yahshi'yi, dogu Turkiyede chok kullaniyorlar.
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2006 at 14:09

Ben Turkiyeli lerden 'yahshi' chok ish*tmishtim. Alp Er Tunga bana dedi 'yahshi'yi, dogu Turkiyede chok kullaniyorlar.

evet oyle,ama ben Iqdirlilardan konushuyorum, onlar Azeri Turkleri ve Iqdirda yerleshiyolar, yani Nahchivanlilar gibi konushuyolar

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 02:13
Oh, I've forgotten I shouldn't speak Turkish here, sorry.
I said I've heard people from Turkey using 'yahshi' very much; especially in Eastern Turkey.
Knight
Knight

Quote Luv_ya_Azerbaijan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 09:54

Oh, I've forgotten I shouldn't speak Turkish here, sorry.
I said I've heard people from Turkey using 'yahshi' very much; especially in Eastern Turkey.

hehe, I did the same,ooops, so gok_turk, you're from Turkmenistan right, can you describe Turkmenistan?? I'm really interested

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2006 at 14:58
I'm quite pleased with living here. Only Kazakstan is the country I prefer more in Central Asia. Now, forget about the Politics. It's easy to live here you know what I mean. It's, anyhow, my personal idea. You've got to see how others think.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 12:56

I'm quite pleased with living here. Only Kazakstan is the country I prefer more in Central Asia. Now, forget about the Politics. It's easy to live here you know what I mean. It's, anyhow, my personal idea. You've got to see how others think.

Can I ask for a favor? Are there any books or museum catalogues about Turkmenian/Kazakh/Uzbeki weapons, especially sword and daggers?
 Let me know what is available and the prices> I shall be glad to buy.

Thanks.

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2006 at 14:27
Dear Vladimir, the neighbor ,
   Hi there. Best wishes and respect. Well, swords, daggers and many other traditional customs can be found anywhere in Turkmenistan, Kazakstan, Uzbekistan or Kyrkizstan in national handicrafts stores. And they're not too high-priced; they start from 20 Rubles (for knives) to any amount you might think (the highest priced is Turkmen horse, if you're willing to buy one ). The swords start from 300 Rubles (the average and good ones) Now there might be some high amounts observed; because your looks are different and therefore you'll be conisdered a tourist. So, keep your eyes open on prices there .

Books are hard to find in this field. I'll try to ask my friends anyhow to see if they know of any. And I'll let you know as soon as possible.

Remember, because there's not any standard and fixed rate for this things here, you should be ready to hear any price.

Take care buddy...
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 15:03

Detailed information regarding Muhammad ibn-Musa al-Khwarizmi could be found on this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Khwarizmi

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 15:34
I really hate to take the subject matter in another direction, but sometimes corrections must be made in order to keep the train in line.

Avcienna, Biruni, Khwarizmi and Alaeddin were Iranian (PLEASE don't confuse Iranian with the country, Iran.)
I would not continue any argument regarding what I've said because it's really exhausting to state the same thing over and over again, so no quotation to my post! please.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 15:52

Abu Ali Sina-e-Balkhi (Avicenna) and Sayed Jamaluddin Afghan: Click Here

Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 17:01

Originally posted by ramin

I really hate to take the subject matter in another direction, but sometimes corrections must be made in order to keep the train in line.

Avcienna, Biruni, Khwarizmi and Alaeddin were Iranian (PLEASE don't confuse Iranian with the country, Iran.)
I would not continue any argument regarding what I've said because it's really exhausting to state the same thing over and over again, so no quotation to my post! please.

this is not about ethnicity, this is about the Steppe, since they lived in the Steppe (Transoxania) they are included here.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Apr-2006 at 17:17
I wasn't trying to exclude them from the steppes. I'm just focusing on the websites that was used as sources about them. no hard feeling about the participants in this topic, I assure you.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2006 at 17:12

[quote name='Anda' date='Apr 22 2006, 11:59 AM' post='1777128']

Mongolian famous mathematician Myangat (1685-1770). (known as Myangat in modern Mongolian, Minggatu in old Mongolian, Ming Antu in Chinese)
He was Mongol from Sharaid Clan from Urt Tsagaan Khoshuu.

Myangat-means Thousand in Mongolian Language

The Emperor Kangxi who reigned from 1662-1722) of Manchu empire in China founded a College of Mathematics in 1713. He asked French Jesuits to teach mathematics. (included Minggatu 28 years old).

In 1723, there were 16 teachers for eight classes of 30 pupils. In 1818, there were only two teachers of Chinese Han ethnic group for 12 Manchu pupils, 6 Mongols, and 6 Chinese. (from book 8, 41-p509, 39-p485, 48-p628). The section disappeared in 1902. Peking university created in 1898 as a result of the Hundred Days of Reform.
(p218) The book Collected Basic Principles of Mathematics (53 chapters on various sorts of mathematics) in charge with Ming Antu ( Minggatu- Mongolian mathematician) was supervised by (1712) Emperor of Manchu.

(p224) most well known among of  mathematicians Minggatu (Ming Antu) (?-1765) and Xiang Mingda (1789-1850)

(p234) On the studies of trigonometric series (Gregorys three formulae)
They used some sort of geometric series to prove these 3 formulae and also introduced other formulae. The first to conduct such study was Minggatu (Ming Antu).  (later Dong and Mingda carried out further investigations).
(p234-240, 252, 254) Ming Antu) , Minggatu, a Mongolian, worked in the State Observatory for a long time. After more than 30 years of hard research he wrote Quick method for Determining Close Rations in Circle Division. Ming Antu used his method of Finding the chord knowing the arc to proceed step by step. In modern algebra notation his method is as follows.

(Page 31) However, as far as the 18th century is concerned, mention should be made by the particularly original works of the astronomer of Mongol abstraction Minggatu (?-1764) (known as Ming Antu in Chinese and Myangat in modern Mongolian) on the expansion of circular functions in infinite series. These works, which were unpublished during the authors lifetime and were first published some 50 years after his death, were the subject of remarkable extensions in the 19th century (expansions in series, trigonometric and logarithmic, apprehended algebraically and inductively without the aid of differential and integral calculus).
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------------------------------ -----

(page 90)  Transmission to China of Euclidean geometry and Arabic spherical trigonometry was during Mongol period

(page 93) We must also mention the expansion of the Mongol empire and, more recently, the European penetration into China from the of the 16th century.

(page 101-102) Contacts with Islamic countries: Mongol period

There is a ample evidence of the contacts between China and the Islamic countries from the Tang dynasty (618-907), but scientific exchanges are generally only thought of as going back to the Mongol period.

(page 102) In 1267, a certain Muslim astronomer, called Zhamaluding presented the Mongol Emperor Hubilai Khaan with a perpetual calendar and he was appointed director of the Bureau of Astronomy in Peking, on the orders of Qubilai in 1271.

(p 103) When the Mongols came to power in China, they were interested not only in Islamic astronomy, but also in traditional Chinese astronomy. When the first Ming emperor came to the throne in 1368, (after Mongol empire) he inherited two bureaus of Astronomy, the Chinese and Muslim Bureau.

Asteroid Named after Mongolian Scientist

An asteroid, numbered 1999AT22, has been named after Myangat (1692-1765), a Mongolian scientist who lived during the Manchu Dynasty (1644-1911) in China.
[/quote]

Edited by Zorigo
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>