Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Scientists from Steppes and Central Asia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scientists from Steppes and Central Asia
    Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 04:35

I noticed that there are a lot of threads about wars, warriors, empires etc. in this sub-forum but very few about scientists and culture so... This sticky topic is about the scientists from the Steppes and Central Asia and let's share any knowledge about them. Let me start with a link for Ulugh Bey:

http://www.ku.edu/carrie/texts/carrie_books/paksoy-2/cam6.ht ml

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
bang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 08:51
1000s of scientist, especially from uzbekistan migrated to states after the collapse of soviet union. I think there was a documentary about chemical scientists not fallin into the hands of alqaeda...interestin one...u shud watch it.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 08:55
give the name or the link of that documentary, im interested in it.
bang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 09:38

Originally posted by DayI

give the name or the link of that documentary, im interested in it.

i saw it on bbc world like almost 2yrs ago....try to search for it on google with key words such as 'uzbek scientists in states'

good luck

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 10:06
ok thanks (btw youre uzbek?)
bang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 10:56
im uzbek/turkmen..dad is turkmen and mum is uzbek

Edited by bang
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:13
Ive tryed to post something about Ibn-i Sina, but its all in Turkish is it allowed?
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 11:25

Sorry, not allowed in this thread.

Is it too much to translate?

Cause I'd like to read it too along with others.

Edited by Seko
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 14:02
Originally posted by Seko

Sorry, not allowed in this thread.

Is it too much to translate?

Cause I'd like to read it too along with others.

sorry i didnt found any english biography of him, only Turkish... also its tooo long to translate.

something in german about him http://www.enfal.de/grund42.htm

in Turkish wiki http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%B0bn-i_Sina

HERE found something in ENglish (not only ibni sina plus others) http://www.enjoyturkey.com/info/culture/Personalities.htm

Edited by DayI
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 15:46
Feramez View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Feramez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Oct-2005 at 23:01

Biruni Bey: http://www.ozturkler.com/data_english/0004/0004_23.htm

Go to this link to look up a lot of other important Turks: http://www.ozturkler.com/data_english/0004/0004.htm

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 03:29

http://www.practicalturkish.com/encyclopedia-a.html

Ali KucuEd. 5.0
Original birth name: Ali Alaeddin.
Born Samarkand/Semarcand/Semerkant
(date unknown), died December 18, 1474 in Istanbul.

Ali Kuu presenting one of his written works to Mehmed, The Conqueror...

Ali Kuu had the good fortune to live in an age of Ottoman enlightenment -- during which the philosophy of Abu Bakr al-Razi (the Islamic 9th century medical writer and proponent of human intellect and reason) held sway. When that enlightened philosophy was later overtaken by the anti-intellectual philosophy of al-Ghazali, the Ottoman empire began its decline.

Famous astronomer and mathematician who came to Ottoman Empire prominence during the reign of Sultan Mehmed II. His father was Mehmed Bey -- a falconer in Samarkand for Ulu Bey, the grandson of Tamerlane. His father's profession (doanc) led to Ali's 'pseudonym', Kuu.
Young Ali received his first lessons in mathematics and astronomy from Ulu Bey himself -- and Kazzade-i Rumi60, a well-known mathematician (aka Kazzade Musa Paa, according to Stanford  Shaw 26).
Afterwards, he ran away to Kerman (Kirman/Carmania -- a province in SE Iran) and completed his education there. When Ali Kuu returned to Samarkand, he presented Ulu Bey with his first written work (Risale-i Hall'l-Ekalil-Kamer -- a treatise on the stages of the moon), as an atonement for his ill-behaved departure to Kerman. Ulu Bey appointed Ali Kuu to head the famous observatory in Samarkand (that Tamerlane had built). Subsequently, Ali Kuu and Ulu Bey collaborated on Zic-i Ulu Bey, an enormous catalog of the stars -- and an important astrological work of the time.
When Ulu Bey died (1449) Ali Kuu had to take refuge (on the way to Tebriz) with Akkoyunlu Uzun Hasan who arranged for him to go to Istanbul as good-will ambassador. When he arrived, Sultan Mehmed II gave him a lavish reception and proposed that Ali give lessons at the Ayasofia Medrese. After his ambassadorial duties were satisfactorily completed, Ali Kuu settled in Istanbul where he established his own school. There he taught such ulema students as Molla Sar Ltf, Kivameddin Kasm, and Sinaneddin Yusuf60 -- as well as the cosmographer Hafz Mehmet ibn Ali (d. 1543) and the Ottoman admiral and geographer Seydi Ali Reis (d. 1562).26
Ali Kuu also wrote 'popular' works in his time on Islamic Theology, the hadiths, Koranic Commentary, Arab Language grammar and syntax -- in the latter category his most famous work was, Unkud'z-Zevahir.
His most important work of all was a theoretical mathematical treatise written in Farsi, entitled Zic-i Ulu Bey erh. Another important work, this one on astronomy written in 1457 (also in Farsi), was Risale fi'l-Hey'e. In the latter work, consisting of a preface and two articles, he knowledgeably and accurately discussed the distances between the heavenly bodies and the Earth. (Later, he added a third article and translated the lot into Arabic as Risale fi'l-Fethiyye.) He is also known to have dedicated and presented (to Sultan Mehmed II) Arabic translations of his works Risale fi'l-Hisab' and Risale-t'l-Muhammediye.60

Ali Kuu died peacefully in Istanbul (1474) after a distinguished career as educator, writer, and scientist in the enli

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 12:53
Especial greetings to my brother, Bang. Na hilli sing?/ Qantay siz?
Sajaja bramani totari ta, raitata raitata, radu ridu raitata, rota.
bang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 04:31

Originally posted by gok_toruk

LOL....yakshi...ozeng nahili? are u from turkmenistan? if yes..then how aobut this 'natinng lay jigim....sapsem yekting lay jggim' ...i lived in turkemnistan over a year...and it was an amazin experience...

although im turkmen from afghanistan...but therez a huge difference in terms of accents and vocabulary...ours is heavifly influenced by farsi and yours is by russian.

and people hardly spoke turkmeni in ashgabhat....well that was in 1994....im sure things have changed now...

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 09:32

Sen nasillsing Gok-toruk? Bozkrl, Orta Asyal bilim adam biliyong mu? Biliyosang niye link gondermiyong?

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:02
Well, I've been with Afghan Turkmens and Uzbeks. By the way, how do you belive that in Ashghabat, people don't speak Turkmen? Amazing buddy....
gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:07
Oh Kotumeyl, only your 'ng' was Central Asian. Anyhow, good job buddy, keep this up and I'm sure you'll get somewhere...
bang View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 12:08

Well, I've been with Afghan Turkmens and Uzbeks. By the way, how do you belive that in Ashghabat, people don't speak Turkmen? Amazing buddy....

Not now...that was durin 90s...

gok_toruk View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
9 Oghuz

Quote gok_toruk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 13:12

yeah, but not now.... as you mentioned...

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 11:08
What about al-Khwarizmi?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>