Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Templar Knights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JeremyScott View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JeremyScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Templar Knights
    Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 03:37
Anyone have reason why the templar knights were so feared among the regular crusaders? I know they acted like a special forces unit of such. But other than that I have no real information on them.
God Bless Texas
Remember The Alamo
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 09:24

The Templars were pretty fearless and thus fought with the utmost ferocity in battle, if you saw those guys charging you totally oblivious to the arrows your firing at them and crashing into your line then I think you'd be afraid.  To avoid being overwhelmed by archers the Templars would wait behind the infantry and choose their time to charge carefully.

Its psychological as much as anything else, their clothing the brilliant white blazened with a red cross made them stand out a mile away and would of been a tremendous sight on the battlefield. They never seemed to fear death and would make outrageous charges against much larger forces and would often cost many lives to take them down.

http://www.ordotempli.org/knights_templar_armour_research1.h tm

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 12:43
An possible reason could be that the Knights Templar might have attracted some of the more religiously fanatic knights amonst the crusaders, who unlike most others, who were in Palestine to grab and loot, actually believed in the "mission". And religious fanatics, with the right equipment and training, can make fearsome opponents.
In addition, the strictly hierachial organisation of the order made them probably more efficient than the sometimes rather shambolic and leaderless crusader mobs.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 15:13
Religious fanatacism goes a long way. They were typicly better organised too, and stinking rich.
Arrrgh!!"
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 17:02
They were professionals. We all saw the difference between Peter the Hermit's force and the following army of men such as Bohemond, Godfrey and Baldwin. Their life was dedicated to the pursuit of combat in protection of the Holy places (theoretically, but often factually). The fact is that in an age of hand to hand combat the army whose nerve does not break will most likely win, regardless of numbers. These men were used to war and disciplined living and when push came to shove they could be expected to stick it out in the heat of battle, unlike the peasant levy.
 Post Reply Post Reply