Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancient Greek/Roman Literature & Sources

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancient Greek/Roman Literature & Sources
    Posted: 27-May-2005 at 16:18

Encyclopedia of Suda

http://www.stoa.org/sol/
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2005 at 07:20

Despite this huge collection I can't find 5th book of Diodorus Siculus Historia. Can any one help me?

10x

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Phallanx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2005 at 17:47
Anyone know where I can find Etymologicum Magnum??????

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
human View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote human Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 04:10

Does anyone know where i can find textures of Herodotus in modern Greek?

Thank you

You Got to Lose to Know How to Win...
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2005 at 06:05
Originally posted by human

Does anyone know where i can find textures of Herodotus in modern Greek?

Thank you

http://www.mikrosapoplous.gr

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Koenig View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Koenig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2006 at 18:14
Hi all, new to the forum, been reading for a while though!

Excellent thread idea 

Here are two that I had in my bookmark list:

http://www.textkit.com/title.php

http://www.e-classics.com/index.html
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing."
      - Socrates in Plato's "Phaedrus"
Aurelia View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Aurelia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2006 at 14:52
Philhellene View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jul-2006 at 18:17
http://ancientrome.ru/

Great Russian site dedicated to Ancient Roman History. It has a big library of ancient Greek and Roman primary sources, a lot of secondary sources, numismatic catalogue, different maps (many of them are in Latin and completely available for English speaking people) and, that`s very important, great collection of Ancient Roman and Greek art with English search form.

Edited by Philhellene - 14-Jul-2006 at 18:24
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2006 at 19:03
Some excellent historians are
Plutarch
Xenophon
Arrian
Herodotus
Tacitus

Suetonius is excellent for some small interesting quick reading about the Caesars, but he is not as serious as other roman historians. For example, he concentrates mainly on the personal lives of the Caesars and completly ignores Claudius's invasion of Britian and the fact that Vespasian commanded the 2nd Legion from the South East of England.

I find the letters of Pliny the Younger to be an excellent insight into Roman life- they are so vibrant and informative and it also gives you an excellent view into the Psycology and behavior of the Romans

Tacticus is very reliable and solid- not only was he a senator, but also a soldier and scholar- and his histories, particually his "Annals of Imperial Rome" are a great read!
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 05:48
You didn`t mention Thucydides. Is he excellent in your opinion? And what about Livius? Smile 
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2006 at 10:32
I have not read Thuycydides, nor Livius. Don't get me wrong- i'm not attempting to judge them- i don't have the knowledge- i'm just saying what the offical opinion of them is. If i want to learn from these books, it's best to understand which can provide you with the best un-bias sources
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2006 at 16:03
Great links I must say. Keep the links coming.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2006 at 08:22
Anyone knows where to find decent links to:

Cornelius Nepos's whatever is his work called.
Titus Livius "Ab urbe condita" the link posted ealier here was broken.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2006 at 19:13
I know where to get it in Russian.

Nepos

Livy

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 04:17

Livy is supposed to be quite Bias, isn't he?

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Philhellene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2006 at 15:41
Yeah, like all Roman imperial writers.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Sep-2006 at 08:53
Its' a pity that only a third of his 147 (150 planned) works survive
Alparslan1071 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Alparslan1071 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2006 at 09:10

Yiannis,I have question to you?Do you know any info about sotiria bellou?

efharisto poli

Edit: I have replied to you in PM. Please do not post in irrelevant threads. If you like you can post question and my answer to the Tavern and maybe other can contribute as well. I'll delete this after a couple of days. Thanks! Yiannis

Edited by Yiannis - 27-Sep-2006 at 09:58
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2006 at 05:33
...I've just read Thucyidides- very insightful and interesting, but obviously quite bias- he was an Athenian commander- despite his claims, it its impossible for him to not be bias!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2006 at 12:26
Polybius for history,Epictetus for philosophy.
apparently much of polybius and Plutarch were read alot by the US founding fathers.can see then where they get there ideals of natural law from,and of course cicero.
and yeah it would be great if we had all of Livy's books.

Thanks all for the links too.

should do a topic, on who burned all the books.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>