Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 18:50

I am not sure what "eastern looks" mean exactly.

Slavonic populations are and have always been of Europe. Just as the Germaic tribes are considered. (Slavonic ones just happen to be to the east of them, that is all.

In terms of warriors, I do not know much on Western Slavonic nations about this but I do believe they had knights. As for Russia, Serbia, etc. (Orthodox regions) it was simply not in their culture to make knight armies.

HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2005 at 19:31
What about Slavic knights, as in Ancient Slavic knights. Are there any famous Slavic knights?
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 02:00
well Mosquito stated some previously, the Polish ones anyways, I know Jan Zizka was a famous Knight for the Czechs.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:46

By some theories south slavs are actually slavs by laungage rather than by blood.

For example: The first mention of a name "Hrvat"(Croat) was in Hamurabi's law as "Harauvatish" as one of the many peoples that were in service of persian emperor, 2nd time it was mention in one greek document as a same for the populance that lived on the coast of the Black Sea as "Sarauvati" etc...

Croats are thus considerd to be an indoeuropian horsemen tribe that took slavic laungage from the slavs whom they encouterd when they arrived from the east.

About fameous Slavic knights- Jan Sobjenski(Ian Sobienski- Polish King) I know he was not an ancent warior but he was still soo cool!

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 14:49
Originally posted by Stormblade

2nd time it was mention in one greek document as a same for the populance that

I'm sorry- "as a name for the populance" 

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 20:47
Jan Sobieski was pretty cool I have no argueent with that haha, but I dont know if Id call him a knight, I know he planned the battles out, but was he in the acctual fighting? either way he had a gift when it comes to military, Im not too sure though I'd say he was as good in politics as in military. As for the case for the Hrvati, you first have to ask yourself what is a slav before you can say which slavic peoples are more slavic then the other, personally, since no one really knows 110% where the slavs came form, I believe the Hrvati and the Serboi were the first of the slavic peoples who were in fact a tribe of horsemen most likely a Sarmatian/Alan tribe, who FIRST settled in the area of Poland and Ukraine and after that migrated down to the south, however because they migrated doesnt mean those tribes that first settled in Poland and Ukraine all left. I believe that was the nucleus of the states of Poland and Rus. But thats just a theory and I cant really back it up. So I do believe the South Slavs are as Slavic as the Northern Slavs, and if there is any arab influence in there genes or culture or look, its from the 5 centuries of Ottoman rule.
Bakma View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bakma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 05:24
Originally posted by Sarmata

Jan Sobieski was pretty cool I have no argueent with that haha, but I dont know if Id call him a knight, I know he planned the battles out, but was he in the acctual fighting? either way he had a gift when it comes to military, Im not too sure though I'd say he was as good in politics as in military. As for the case for the Hrvati, you first have to ask yourself what is a slav before you can say which slavic peoples are more slavic then the other, personally, since no one really knows 110% where the slavs came form, I believe the Hrvati and the Serboi were the first of the slavic peoples who were in fact a tribe of horsemen most likely a Sarmatian/Alan tribe, who FIRST settled in the area of Poland and Ukraine and after that migrated down to the south, however because they migrated doesnt mean those tribes that first settled in Poland and Ukraine all left. I believe that was the nucleus of the states of Poland and Rus. But thats just a theory and I cant really back it up. So I do believe the South Slavs are as Slavic as the Northern Slavs, and if there is any arab influence in there genes or culture or look, its from the 5 centuries of Ottoman rule.

what do you mean with arab influence in there genes or culture or look?
Inson borki insonlarning naqshidir, inson borki hayvon undan yaxshidir
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Mortaza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 05:33

hehe sarmata most probably that slavs  dont see much arab  at ottomans  time.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Oct-2005 at 18:15
I meant to say how if some look at the genes of some croats or Serbs they might see an Iranian hint in it, excuse me, arab wa snot the right choice of words there. But I think thats all a part of being Slavic, as Slavic people are and Indo-European group. As for the looks I again meant that some Serbs and Croats you can mistake for a turk and Im saying that mgiht be form the time when the Balkans were occupied by the Ottoman empire.
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 01:48
In my oppinoin it is difficult to mix genes of ottomans and slavs.I know that slavs men  take slav women.Well ottoman may steal some slav women(they are very beautiful) but the children become ottomans.Look now in Macedonia-albainain marrage to albanian macedonian to macedonian.It is rare to become a mix.As a neighbour of Turkey I can claim that there is visual difference between a turk and a bulgar(serb,even albanian).May be greek are closer to turk(because of their south situation).From turk culture here is still in charge music(chalga) it is not so bad.About slavs warier-I know that they  are one of the best(Bulgarian,Russian,Polish,Ukraine,Czech and so)
"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 11:55
Not only that but they have different religion.And for the look i dont know for the other slavs ,but the bulgarians somethimes not so slavic look(or names) the reason is the bulgar tribes (for those that dont know bulgars are turkik tribe) that come here in 5th and 7th century.Different slavic tribes are powerful in different times(only i dont remember when the Serbs are strong)

Edited by Subotai
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 12:13

Considering genetic maps, culture and customs i would rather say that notion "slavic" has rather linguistical sence, not genetic. Genetically and culturally the differences between Western, Eastern and Soughtern slavic groups are quite large. The folklore of Bulgarians, Poles and Russians isnt even similar.The thing which is similar is language.

I guess that before christianisation the other things which was similar to most of slavic tribes was religion but today Slavic nations are member of all the christian factions.

Edited by Mosquito
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:25
Originally posted by Mosquito

Considering genetic maps, culture and customs i would rather say that notion "slavic" has rather linguistical sence, not genetic. Genetically and culturally the differences between Western, Eastern and Soughtern slavic groups are quite large. The folklore of Bulgarians, Poles and Russians isnt even similar.The thing which is similar is language.

I guess that before christianisation the other things which was similar to most of slavic tribes was religion but today Slavic nations are member of all the christian factions.

I agree

Edited by Subotai
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 03:12
Originally posted by Subotai

Not only that but they have different religion.And for the look i dont know for the other slavs ,but the bulgarians somethimes not so slavic look(or names) the reason is the bulgar tribes (for those that dont know bulgars are turkik tribe) that come here in 5th and 7th century.Different slavic tribes are powerful in different times(only i dont remember when the Serbs are strong)

Thats true different naitons of slavs each had their moments of glory...Serbs had theirs during the rule of Stefan Dusan, a pretty impressive balkan empire, in fact it was more powerful then either venice or the Turks but because of his sudden death he did not secure an heir and his empire collapsed. Dusan acctually had a dream to absorb the Byzantine Empire and make Constantinople his new capital, for a time it almost seemed that he would succeed with this dream, however once again his sudden death destroyed his dreams.
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2005 at 08:56
Yes,Dushan maneged to create centralized state and  that was enough cuz at that time the balkans had many small states(for example macedonia was devided in small feudal states)and it wasnt hard to conquer them.He even didnt battle them, they simply join his state.And i think  the result after his deat will be the same cuz these feudals only waiting for good moment to split.The byzantines had  much trouble with the turks.But in the end  he crate strong state.
Red_Lord View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Red_Lord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Nov-2005 at 04:37

In all our differences I fell one polishman closer than some romanian who is my neghbour.I know that from all slavian countries Bulgaria first have their own state(I am not sure).But in 861 Bulgaria was established as slavo-bulgarian country and after about 150 years it became state with slavian culture and ethnicaliy was slavian.I think it is the princip of forming Poland,Ukrain,Russia and other.Only this maked up FYRM is 100% clear eventhough 500 000 albanians and 1 500 000 bulgars living there

"The slave is fighting for freedom,free is fighting for perfectness"
Yane Sandanski
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2005 at 00:13

Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia are, put simply, slavic cultures and people. The empire that was there a century ago was nothing like them. The around 500 year time of this occupation is written in history today (I hope in many places) as the dark age of those nations.

As for slavic warriors - I believe they were different in the Catholic kingdoms than in the Orthodox ones (Serbia, Russia ect.)

Digenis View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
suspended

Quote Digenis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 14:15
Originally posted by Subotai

And for the look i dont know for the other slavs ,but the bulgarians somethimes not so slavic look(or names) the reason is the bulgar tribes (for those that dont know bulgars are turkik tribe) that come here in 5th and 7th century.

I dont thinks thats the real reason thas Bulgars differ.Its the same thing with the Slavs of FYROM and so on.
Newcomers usually do not expell all the old people of an area.So for ex.Turks are not Mongoloid any more,and the southern slavs are so different from the north.
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 17:58
simple explanation:   Bulgaria --- Slavo-bulgarian nation in which genetic makeup possibly around 95%slav and 5%bulgar ( nomadic peoples from >not fully known yet< )
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2005 at 22:10
Originally posted by Digenis

the southern slavs are so
different from the north.

I dont know, if they're that different, I have some Serbian and Croatian friends, language is very close, as well as beliefs and customs. Polish and Croatians prayer is very similar of course I dont always understand what htey say but I catch on to some of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>