Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slavic Warriors

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slavic Warriors
    Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 08:57
Why do ancient Slavic warriors look eastern? Are their ancestors from the east or what?
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 11:58
yea
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 12:45

Where are the Slavic people's ancestors from?

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 12:59
Romania maybe? That's what I've heard but I have nothing to back it.
Vae victis!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 14:39
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

Where are the Slavic people's ancestors from?

Poland-Belarus most likely.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 16:20
I've heard Poland-Belarus too, i think the reason they had an eastern look cuz the area of present slavs was dominated by eastern nomads, Scythians, Sarmatians, Avars, also Huns. I have no doubt that there is a Alan/Sarmatian link to the Slavs.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 16:35
Anyhow, how do you know that ancient Slavic warriors looked easterner (Asian or Turkic, I assume that's what you mean)? Have you ever seen in person or photo any ancient Slavic warrior? I think the answer is nope. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 22:03
Apparently it could be anywhere between the Vistula and the Don rivers. Of course they mixed with the local populations in the territories they occupied also (e.g. Germans, Thracians, Goths and Rus Vikings).
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 22:06

i mean turkic yes, but i have read that there is a city in Turkey that speaks an ancient dialect of polish and are of ancient polish descent. Maybe slavs come from there?

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Jazz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 01:30

i mean turkic yes, but i have read that there is a city in Turkey that speaks an ancient dialect of polish and are of ancient polish descent. Maybe slavs come from there?

Could be descendants of those populations of Slavs that Romano/Byzantine Emperors transferred to Anatolia (modern Asian Turkey) from the Balkans before the Turkish conquest of the area.

Just a guess....
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 03:41

The first time I read on that. But take for sure that Slavs are original from the Poland-Belarus area and they do not look Asian but just Eastern European, that is with a blonde tendency, maybe some Mongloid eyelids but not more than what you can see nowadays, rather tall, mostly brachicephalic...

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 23:32

Justinian II undertook a huge project to resettle whole segments of the empire's Slavic population into Anatolia, maybe thats got something to do with it?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 12:33

This is Polish city near Istambul. Its inhabitated by the descendants of Polish patriots who fought against Russia and for services gived to the Ottomans were allowed by the Sultan to settle in Turkey. First the town was named Adampol but now if i remember well it has different name. The town was fund in the times of Crimean War.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 12:36
BTW - i have read today that not far from my city was found cementary from 10th century. One of the dead burried there is a polish warior - who was 2 meters high! I guess in the 10 century he was a giant.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 01:24
Originally posted by Mosquito

BTW - i have read today that not far from my city was found cementary from 10th century. One of the dead burried there is a polish warior - who was 2 meters high! I guess in the 10 century he was a giant.

Well the average man in the 13th century was 5ft 3, anyone over 6 ft tall was given the title of giant. To them, he must have been a colossus.
Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 01:57
was he buried with any weapons, maybe his horse?
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 06:07
Originally posted by Maju

Anyhow, how do you know that ancient Slavic warriors looked easterner (Asian or Turkic, I assume that's what you mean)? Have you ever seen in person or photo any ancient Slavic warrior? I think the answer is nope. 

Artifacts have been recovered from the early medieval period of Slavic history which appear to be similar to artifacts found in Central Asia.  Case in point would be the helmet of the typical Slavic warrior.  The style of this helmet is nearly identical to that of Central Asian nomads such as the Mongols.  As a matter of fact, the helmet style continued to be used until fairly recent times.  An example would be the helmet of this Polish Winged Hussar:www.squadron.com/old/fnpwh/fnpwh6.jpg
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 06:30
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

Originally posted by Maju

Artifacts have been recovered from the early medieval period of Slavic history which appear to be similar to artifacts found in Central Asia.  Case in point would be the helmet of the typical Slavic warrior.  The style of this helmet is nearly identical to that of Central Asian nomads such as the Mongols.  As a matter of fact, the helmet style continued to be used until fairly recent times.  An example would be the helmet of this Polish Winged Hussar:www.squadron.com/old/fnpwh/fnpwh6.jpg

Medieval period, ok. Yes, sure that Huns and Sarmatians (and later Mongol-Tatars) had some influence in Slavic customs and specially weapons then.

But I took the proposition as if they were Mongoloid-looking, when one would expect them to be rather Nord-European-looking, just as they do now, specially in their places of origin.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 08:33
The "nord" look that you are referring to is actually the East Baltid subracial characteristic.

If I had to generalize and over-simplify, I would describe the typical Slavic type as somewhat round-headed with light brown or blond hair, light-colored, somewhat narrow eyes, with high cheekbones and broad features and of medium height and stocky build.  This doesn't really describe the classic "Nordic" type, which is taller and longer-headed, with sharp features.

Edited by Scytho-Sarmatian
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 13:17
Originally posted by Scytho-Sarmatian

The "nord" look that you are referring to is actually the East Baltid subracial characteristic.

Whatever. I've reached the following conclussion regarding European types: there are Nordics and Mediterraneans basically. And this may be more of appearence than anything else. I don't believe much in those numerous racial subtypes like Alpine, Dinaric, Armenoid, East-Baltic, Atlanto-Mediterranean, Dalic, etc. What the heck means Atlanto-Mediterranean, btw? It would seem like it is a Mediterranean type but it is rather the dominant type in Western Europe or so they say.

I made my own regional additions of European PCs, and the case seems to be that, apart of a few more marked regions, like Basque Country, Lappland or Southern Russia, all Europeans are (primarily) either PC2+PC3+PC4 (Nordic) or PC1+PC4 (Mediterranean) or a balanced mix (mostly Britons, I think). That fits quite well with the simple eye perception of fairer and darker types as you move in the north-south axis.

I know well that Eastern Slavs are supposed to be mostly of the Eastern Baltic type and Southern Slavs mainly of the Dinaric and Alpine types, while Western Slavs (Poles, etc.) are a more mixed but still northern looking type.

What I meant to say is simply that they would look much like the Poles and Belarussians you can find today.

If I had to generalize and over-simplify, I would describe the typical Slavic type as somewhat round-headed with light brown or blond hair, light-colored, somewhat narrow eyes, with high cheekbones and broad features and of medium height and stocky build.  This doesn't really describe the classic "Nordic" type, which is taller and longer-headed, with sharp features.

That's what they say... but I'm not so sure that East Baltic type describes so well the original Slavic type and I'm also not so sure that East Baltics are much shorter than Nordics.

In any case, they were not Tatar-looking.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>