Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

History of the British Isles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: History of the British Isles
    Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 13:42

Montfort, Simon de, Earl of Leicester (1208?-1265),

English statesman and soldier, born of an Anglo-French family in Normandy (Normandie), France. In 1229 he came to England from France, where two years later Henry III, king of England, confirmed his title and estates. He married Eleanor, the youngest sister of the king, in 1238. As a leader of the English barons, Montfort expressed their dissatisfaction with the arbitrary rule of the king. When Henry rejected the Provisions of Oxford, by which the barons had obtained a share in the government, Montfort took up arms; he captured the king in 1264 . After his victory he established an assembly to assist the king's council; it included representatives of the gentry and the towns and is considered an ancestor to the later Parliament. The barons, however, became dissatisfied with Montfort, and he was killed in a battle against combined royal and baronial forces at Evesham on August 4, 1265.

Edited by magdala
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 02:16

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Really? I wonder, what dialects of French exist and how much do they differ from "proper" French? Furthermore, what is "proper French"?

Well the analogy would be Irish english (Quebec) and english of Londoners (Paris).Quebec's  french is almost identical to Parisian'sfrench but with a different accent and they've retained a lot of words from old french which has now dissapeared in France. But I have no difficulty understanding them, I'm even a master in immitating the Quebecois accent faithfully, I make everyone laugh when I do it. 

Edited by Quetzalcoatl
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 21:07

Ah English history ... my favorite

Next king: HenryIII Oct 18 1216 - nov 16 1272

He inherited the throne at the ripe old age of nine at a very difficult time ... Louis the son of the king of France held London and the south- east. but it took no time for the regents William Marshal and Hugh de Burgh to defeat the rebel barrons and bribe Louis and send him packing.  Because John had lost the crown jewels Henry  was crowned in a make shift ceramony and crowned with his mothers torque (or so the story goes).  Marshal managed to bring some law and order back but died in 1219 and the two men that held power then De burgh and Peter des Roches  didn't do well by Henry. The battles in France were less than successful with finally Aquitine being lost (henrys Grandmothers duchy) Henry finally assumed direct rule in 1227. There was much strif between Henry and his barrons. Although Henry reaffermed the terms of  Magna Carta he didn't follow them very well and failed to recognise the rights and privelages of the barrons. Not a good soldior(having lost most of his french lands) didn't help. Wars must be won if they are to continue to be funded! He was a good negotiator establishing a strong alliance with Scotlandand a similair one with the Welsh princes. In 1250 he took the cross determind to go on crusade  but never made it instead spending the money to help the pope in battle agains the king of sicily resulting in his son EDMOND being named as the new king.  Henry's disrgard for his barrons finally caught up with him and a repeat of the events of 50 years ago saw civil war break out again. (someone else can tell about Simon De Montfort and the rebelion)

An aged and perhaps senile king turned to arts and building (completeing the building of Westminister Abby)  After the death of his brother Richard in 1272 he was over come by Demntia and died after reigning for 56 yeras.

Edited by Dawn
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 14:50
Hey!!! Can we come back and disscuss history of Britain??? Henry III, for example?
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 09:37

Really? I wonder, what dialects of French exist and how much do they differ from "proper" French? Furthermore, what is "proper French"?

It's the French spoken in the Loire Valley, the King of France, Francis I (Franois I) made this French the administration language and imposed it to the parliaments, the French spoken in Tours is considered the purest.

Yet, and of course, back then every provinces kepts its local dialects... and the administrative French was still unregulated.

Richelieu founded the Academie Nationale, in charge of regulating the language and making it more coherent... from then the administrative French adopted a lot of words from all dialects (Avalanche from Franco-Provencal, Ire from Norman, glacier from Franco-Provencal again, etc.....)

So, technicaly, the dialects of France started to become more and more unified as communications develloped. During the revolution, it was decided this French would be taught at school and no longer the dialects and ultimately, under Jules Ferry, laws against dialects were reinforced.

The middle ages dialects all disapeared by now (Francian, Norman, Champenois, Picard etc....) and the other gallo-romance languages are in a pretty bad shape (Gascon, Languedocian, Provencal, Catalan).... in France, only clearly distinct languages maintained their existance to a small point (Basque, Breton, Alsatian, Corsican, Frankish)...

As for Quebecois and French, it's the same standard French... it's more a question of accent, to me the Quebecois don't articulate enough to get really inteligible when they make no effort. If they take care, it's ok.

The standard language is the same, but, the familiar and vulgar vocabulary isn't the same. The say swear words like ostie, tabernacle, kriss that we don't use here.

Overall, the differences between Franco-French, Swiss-French, Belgian-French, Cajun-French and Canadian-French tend to be mostly on accents and a very few vocabulary (Septante in Belgium instead of soixante-dix).

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 08:15
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 04:13

And if that happened, American tourists these days would not be infuriating Parisians with their twangy dialect of English .

Lol, yeah. Rather than that, we French, would have to deal with an awfully butchered French.... I imagine the American French would look a lot like the Canadian French, and when a Quebecois speaks on the TV, I sometimes need subtitles.

Edited by Exarchus
Vae victis!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 01:26
Originally posted by Quetzalcoatl

John I retired to England, and had to face the Norman nobles there, furious he lost Normandy and Anjou, their homelands. They sent a letter to Philip II asking him to attack John I in England and replace him as Knig of England.

What an opportunity he missed. If he had done that England would probably be a french region nowadays.

And if that happened, American tourists these days would not be infuriating Parisians with their twangy dialect of English .
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 22:06

John I retired to England, and had to face the Norman nobles there, furious he lost Normandy and Anjou, their homelands. They sent a letter to Philip II asking him to attack John I in England and replace him as Knig of England.

What an opportunity he missed. If he had done that England would probably be a french region nowadays.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 15:04
I'll redo John I.

John I ended at the head of Richard I fiefdom, streching from England to Gascony.

Yet, due to the catastrophic financial state left by Richard I, John I had to raise taxes and Philip II used his suzerain power on John I to confiscate Normandy and Anjou to John I.

John I then summoned his ally, Otton IV to attack Philip II and get Normandy and Anjou back.

John I landed with an English army in Aquitaine as a diversion to get Philip II away from Paris. Philip II then marched in his direction while Otton IV with the Count of Flanders and another English army should attack from the northeast. They were delayed and the news of this army marching reached Philip II.

Philip II left his son Louis VIII at the head of a smaller army to keep John I busy, John I expecting a much larger army didn't engage him. Philip II marched toward Otton IV and met him at Bouvines.  Otton IV was only saved in this battle by the sacrifice of Saxon knights. The Count of Flanders was captured and Otton IV was deposed back in his fiefdom.

But Philip II was growing old and couldn't do the travel, he sent his son. Who failed to defeat John I and John I finally saved his ass by giving up some of his power in the Magna Charta, the Norman nobles then retired their support to Philip II.

From this day, it was an obsession for the Norman nobles of England to conquer France, and Normandy. The land they still called home despite not having it anymore.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 14:54
Where 's the Bouvines war gone?
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 14:42

JOHN (r. 1199-1216)

John was an able administrator interested in law and government but he neither trusted others nor was trusted by them. Heavy taxation, disputes with the Church (John was excommunicated by the Pope in 1209) and unsuccessful attempts to recover his French possessions made him unpopular. Many of his barons rebelled, and in June 1215 they forced King John to sign a peace treaty accepting their reforms.This treaty, later known as Magna Carta, limited royal powers,defined feudal obligations between the King and the barons, and guaranteed a number of rights.Magna Carta was the first formal document insisting that the Sovereign was as much under the rule of law as his people,and that the rights of individuals were to be upheld even against the wishes of the sovereign. As a source of fundamental constitutional principles, Magna Carta came to be seen as an important definition of aspects of English law, and in later centuries as the basis of the liberties of the English people. As a peace treaty Magna Carta was a failure and the rebels invited Louis of France to become their king. When John died in 1216 England was in the grip of civil war.

Edited by magdala
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 06:32
What about Thomas Beckett and the conflicts between Louis VII, William I and Henry II?

Whatever, Henry II was facing constant internal conflicts and couldn't hold his fiefdom alone. Then he granted Aquitaine to his son, Richard I.

Under Richard I, Aquitaine fell in revolts after revolts against the brutality of his reign. Richard I called for Philip II's help against Richard I. Philip II then attacked Henry II at Chinon, and defeated him. Forving him to recognise Richard I as King of England, Duke of Normandy and Count of Anjou.

Richard I was considered as the absent king, as he spent only 6 months of his reign in England. Under his rule, the anarchy ruling in Aquitaine spred to all his fiefdom, England being one of the most hit place.

It's during this period the Gothic Architecture really began to rise. First appearing in France, it would pass to England under Plantagenet rule.

Richard I was notorious for persecuting the Jews in England. He took then part in the crusades, were his incompetence as a leader were replaced by his strong military skills. He joined the crusade with Philip Augustus and Leopold the Virtuous (Duke of Austria).

He removed Leopold's standards and put his own in place, provocing Leopold's and Philip's furor against him. Both left the crusades leaving Richard alone.

On the way back, he was made prisonner by Leopold when he went through Austria. Leopold sold him to Henry III, the Holy Roman Emperor. Who only freed him in exchange of a large amount of gold. Payed by newly raised taxes.

He finally went back to France, fighting to expand his fiefdom and dying an arrow through the shoulder.

He left his fiefdom is a catastrophic shape. Close to bankrupt and with the King of France for ennemy. While the King of France showed being not only a better fighter but also an excellent administrator.
Vae victis!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 15:42

Henry II ruled over an empire which stretched from the Scottish border to the Pyrenees.One of the strongest, most energetic and imaginative rulers, Henry was the inheritor of three dynasties who had acquired Aquitaine by marriage; his charters listed them: 'King of the English, Duke of the Normans and Aquitanians and Count of the Angevins'.The King spent only 13 years of his reign in England; the other 21 years were spent on the continent in his territories in what is now France. By 1158, Henry had restored to the Crown some of the lands and royal power lost by Stephen; Malcom IV of Scotland was compelled to return the northern counties. Locally chosen sheriffs were changed into royally appointed agents charged with enforcing the law and collecting taxes in the counties.Family disputes over territorial ambitions almost wrecked the king's achievements. Henry died in France in 1189, at war with his son Richard, who had joined forces with King Philip of France to attack Normandy.

This is about Henry II. Next ruler please! Going on like this we will wright the whole history of the England and the UK.

Edited by magdala
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 06:56
A civil war called the annarchy started in England and Normandy.

Mathilda fought Stephen I in England with her supported and was defeated.

Geoffroy fought Stephen I in Normandy with his Angevine army and took Normandy of him. He made his son, Henry II Plantagenet the duke of Normandy.

Things remained quiet a moment, then Geoffroy died, and Henry II inherited of the titles of Count of Anjou, Tourraine and duke of Maine from him.

He married then Eleanor of Aquitaine and became duke of Aquitaine & Gascony.

He would use his new lands and wealth to launch an attack on England against Stephen I. Killing his only son in battle. Things were settled again when Stephen I, without male heir anymore, made Henry II his heir.

At Stephen I's death, Henry II aquired England. Ruling a land from England to Gascony. From the large castle he built in Chinon and using Anjou for central power.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 06:50
England under William II can be summered to a succession of internal conflict and brutal repression against the English popular classes.

While his brother, Robert Curthose, would take part in the first crusade at the side of Raymond of Toulouse, Bohemund of Edessa and Baldwin of Boulogne. Crusade culminating with the caputre of the Krak des Chevaliers, Jerusalem and Antioch....

William II Rufus was said to be the most hated king of England ever. He was famous for fighting the catholic church in political conflict there. Him and Robert made each others heir.

He died in a hunting accident, an arrow through the heart. The younger son of William I, Henry I Beauclerk became king of England despite Robert claimed the throne.

Henry I would come to France and defeat Robert Curthose, he died poisoned slightly later with no male heir.

His designed his daughter, Mathilda, his successor. Yet, it was against the French laws that was applied back then in England. She was the windows of the Holy Roman Emperor and remarried with Geoffroy the Handsome, Count of Anjou and archennemy of the Normans. The Norman nobles then refused to recognise her and appointed Stephen I of Blois king of England and Duke of Normandy.
Vae victis!
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2005 at 06:43
So we were at Edward the Confessor....

At Edward's death, a struggle for succession arose.

William II the Conqueror of Normandy claimed the crown of England on the base Edward the Confessor designed him his successor.

Harald III Sigurdsson of Norway claimed it as being a relative to Edward.

Harold Godwinson claimed it as being elected King by the English princes...

Harold had the most rightful claim in the English law back then, yet both Harald and William decided to invade England.

William was delayed while he summoned his allies from Brittany and the rest of France... this delay made the Norwegian army under Harald III to land first in England. Harald III was defeated and killed at Stamford bridge.

While the forces under William the Conqueror landed on Hasting, the English forces began to march to him. William started to waste and pillage the area to press Harold to attack him without resting first from the battle against Harald.

The two forces met near Hasting, and ended by a close victory for William, Harold was killed in the battle and without King to defend the English fled.

This mark what is called the Norman Conquest of England, what followed is often compared to what happened in Bosnia. With a French speaking ruling class, the Duke of Normandy becoming King of England as William I of England and large portions of the English cake given to his French nobles allies. The English ruling class was systematicaly removed and exiled. The English democratic system was removed for an absolute monarchy, the few pagans left were burned and many villages and towns were burned too. Yet, William couldn't submit Scotland or Wales totaly. Several English revolt arose and often ended in brutal repression. Castles were built, like the Tower of London, to protect the new ruling class from the English people, quite not happy to see itself stripped of its demographic rights. Due to the large proportion of casualties in England during the conquest, the pope forced William to build massive cathedrals has penance, and to build an altar at Hasting and pray there for all his crimes and sins.

It created an usual feudal system were a vassal of the King of France, the Duke of Normandy, held also the title of King yet in England.

William died in France, after falling of a horse, from intestine pain... at the burial ceremony, his body exploded due to internal gaz and people were obliged to leave the church because of the smell.

His son, William II Rufus became king of England, his other son, Robert II Curthose became Duke of Normandy.
Vae victis!
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 16:47

Fine, Wessex is where the Saxons, and Jutes migrated to in the 5th century. Between the time they arrived and the time the vikings came. Wessex was at war with the other kingdoms. Alfred the Great in 871AD considered himself as the King England. In 927 AD Aethelstan was the last king to rule over a united England. England has remained in political unity ever since. However the Kingdom was subject to invasions by the Vikings of Denmark during the late 10th century. In response Athelred II of England ordered the slaughter of all Danish people present in England during 1002. This only managed to attract the attention and hostility of Sweyn I of Denmark and Norway. Sweyn staged four full scale invasions of England for the remainder of his life. Sweyn was proclaimed King of England in opposition to Ethelred II in 1013. He died on February 2, 1014 His son Canute the Great continued the war. Ethelred II died on April 23, 1016 His son Aedmund II of England was soon defeated by Canute. Canute agreed to co-rule with Edmund II but then later died on November 30 1016, leaving England united under Danish rule. Danish rule continued until the death of Harthacanute on June 8, 1042. He was a son of Canute and Emma of Normandy, widow of Ethelred II. Harthacanute had no heirs of his own and was succeeded by his half-brother Aedward the Confessor. The Kingdom of England was independent again.

Edited by HistoryGuy
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 15:45

Am I the only one here who has to write??? HistoryGuy: can you write something about that, especially about Wessex? Really, I am interested.

Thanks!

HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 17:10
Talk about the Anglo Saxons, and there kingdoms on the British Isles. Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Kent, and East Anglia.
هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>