Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Poll Question: which is the most successful leader in the whole history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.09%]
3 [3.09%]
29 [29.90%]
3 [3.09%]
43 [44.33%]
4 [4.12%]
11 [11.34%]
1 [1.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Brainstorm View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Brainstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most successful leader
    Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 12:31
I would vote Philip II. (he should be in the list)

He was both a political and military genious.
Inharited a kingdom in danger to disappear,unrespected and poor,with lousy army,and turned it within 20 years to the strongest state of hellenic world,with the most powerfull army,multiplied in size ,and ready for the conquest of Asia!

Edited by Brainstorm - 08-Nov-2006 at 12:33
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 17:42
Originally posted by Earl Aster

Yes, I agree with you about his military genius scottmaning13, but overall, he does not deserve to be revered as a great political leader

I agree with you about him not caring much for politics because he usually let the rulers he conquered continue ruling their kingdoms (although that was probably good politics LOL due to his personal teacher Aristotle) and his military orientation was amazing yet brutal because some great places were destroyed.  His political orientation was a "mixing of the races" type ideology that many people didn't (and still don't) agree with, including his own.

Timotheus View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Timotheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 00:01
Washington deserves a rate. Though only a mediocre general, his leadership qualities were one of the three things that allowed the Revolution to succeed. (The other two being the French Army and the French Fleet.)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 13:00
I would agree with you, Helios- but I still think that he should mainly be regarded as primarily a military genius
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2006 at 22:54
Brainstorm, i agree. King Philip ll was in every aspect what a good king is supposed to be. He was a genius when it came to diplomacy and ofcourse he did create the most powerful army to walk the earth at that time.
Ellin View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Ellin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 02:13
Cyrus the Great should've been on the list also.   He had great qualities and was a humanist also, which is how I value "success", or at least is an aspect of it.

My vote goes to Alexander, which I probably would've said had I been a non-Greek also! Tongue 
He accomplished a lot in such a short time.
He is the most celebrated and most popular of all on the list, with the general public, which goes to say something!

Plus, he is one of very few on there, that had a "heart".

And go Willy Wallace, me likes him too! Cool

His political orientation was a "mixing of the races" type ideology that many people didn't (and still don't) agree with, including his own.

Hellios, why do you have this impression?  I think I know why, but can you elaborate?

"Grk ppl r anarchic & difficlt 2 tame.4 this reasn we must strike deep in2 thr lang,relgn,cult& hist resrvs, so that we cn neutrlz thr ability 2 develp,distinguish
themslvs/ 2 prevail"..up urs Kisngr
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 03:30
I don't quite follow your statement about him having a "heart". Most leaders had some kind of aspiration, of course, Alexander was very ambitious, but if you are reffering to a "heart" in the ethical sense, then you are flawed as Alexander was, by the standards of the day, an arrogant man. He lead his men to India and back, when, through repeated warnings, they told him that they wanted to go back. He was not the hero that he has been claimed to be.

...Naturally Hannurabi must be regarded as a fine leader -the first set of laws!

Edited by Earl Aster - 11-Nov-2006 at 03:31
GhengisKhan View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote GhengisKhan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2006 at 03:34
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456