Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: which is the most successful leader in the whole history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.09%]
3 [3.09%]
29 [29.90%]
3 [3.09%]
43 [44.33%]
4 [4.12%]
11 [11.34%]
1 [1.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forgotten View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Forgotten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most successful leader
    Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 15:11

Genghes khan , attila the hun and adolf hitler.

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 15:15

Adolf Hitler wasn't successful at all. Hitler was an utter failure.

Attila the Hun was half successful. He succeded in many things but failed in others, and died with unfulfilled goals.

Edited by Imperator Invictus
Celestial View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Celestial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 20:19
There has never been a leader like Ataturk and there never will be. He is considered the greatest leader in the Turkish history.

I always like to compare Ataturk with Adolf Hitler. They are quite the opposite of each other. Both used nationalism but one in good way and one in bad way.
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 21:27
I believe that one of the most successful leaders in History would have to be Augustus Caesar.

Edited by Knights - 04-Nov-2006 at 09:41
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 22:44
Cyrus The Great founded one of the most magnificent empires in history. Peter The Great fought his way to Europe, built his capital there, and dared any European nation to oppose it. When Frederick The Great of Prussia died, he left an empire of 10 million Prussians worshipping him. The Ottoman Sultan Suliemon The Magnificent, Ramses The Great of Egypt, and last but not least, Catherine The Great....who in fact was the most powerful woman in history.
rishubhav View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote rishubhav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2006 at 23:05
I would have to say Phillip father of Alexander and Muhammed, since both of them excelled in all aspects of leadership, diplomacy militarism and domestic affairs. Also both of them started with more or less nothing and turned it into a world power. 
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 04:00
Ataturk.
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 10:44
I am with knights and would have voted for Caesar Octavianus Augustus ... if he were on the list.
That because (following a rationale not significantly diferent from that stated by other people on this thread) he won the control of a large empire, then managed to stop war and violence, had the empire to prosper, and ultimately died a natural death on his own bed.

Among the choicespresented on the poll list, I voted for William the Conqueror, because similar reasons apply, albeit on a smaller extent.
Dampier View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Dampier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 11:58
We need Cyrus. One of the greatest leaders this world has ever seen, a man after my own heart.

I must admit, of all the men I would have liked to follow Cyrus tops the list.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2006 at 12:09
Originally posted by Celestial

There has never been a leader like Ataturk and there never will be. He is considered the greatest leader in the Turkish history.

Is that why Turkey is still a 3rd world country...even after 90 or so years?

And I dont know what is sadder, the fact that all Turks here voted for Ataturk or the fact that almost everyone else voted for Alexander, so Ataturk wouldn't be the greatest leader of all time...yet again

Edited by mamikon - 04-Nov-2006 at 12:12
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 06:06
Originally posted by mamikon

And I dont know what is sadder, the fact that all Turks here voted for Ataturk or the fact that almost everyone else voted for Alexander, so Ataturk wouldn't be the greatest leader of all time...yet again

LOL............Clap
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 06:11
Originally posted by Serge L

I am with knights and would have voted for Caesar Octavianus Augustus ... if he were on the list.
That because (following a rationale not significantly diferent from that stated by other people on this thread) he won the control of a large empire, then managed to stop war and violence, had the empire to prosper, and ultimately died a natural death on his own bed.

Among the choices presented on the poll list, I voted for William the Conqueror, because similar reasons apply, albeit on a smaller extent.

Thankyou Serge. Big smileBig smile. Augustus all the way!
But yes from the List I would have chosen William the conqueror because of the monumental long term impact he had as a leader. ie. the gradual formation and rise of the British and as a superpower.

Secondly, Where on earth is the 'other' option...the lack of 'other' is basically implying that no one else in history is legitimate for this title --> Very constricting.

There are some very fantastic leaders on the list nevertheless.

Tongue
Turk Nomad View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun
suspended

Quote Turk Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 06:23
Originally posted by mamikon

Because of the people...They are still doing the way they know,not the way of AtaturkAngry
Praetor View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Quote Praetor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2006 at 06:47
firstly why is everyone on this list largely known for thier role in war, or (in the case of Boudicea) did nothing of great importance in any other field? besides some of the people in it LOST the key conflicts they were involved in and other's failed to achieve many of thier goals.

Another Problem is defining Succesful. Succesful is not the same as powerful, brilliant, or influential. The most logical definition of succesful is did you or to what degree did you accomplish your Goals (in this case as a leader). However this creates problems as Alexander the Greats Goal (well one of them) for example was world conquest, however brilliant he was he didn't come close. Whereas a random Member of the state government (doesn't matter which country or what state), let's call him Bill Blogs whose only Goals as a leader are to pay for his Big Screen TV and get VIP seats at the local sports ground while doing little actual work may well achieve all these!Shocked The most Succesful leader in history may be someone we've never heard of!!!LOLLOL

Oh and thank you Knights for pointing out the lack of an "other" option, no poll in any way similar to this should be without one.

Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:38
Originally posted by Attila2

After choosing the cruelest,its time to elect the most successful one!

waiting for your opinions... 

Attila2,

I'll put my political preferences & personal feelings aside for a moment in order to scientifically answer your question: If you mean democratic leader, I honestly don't know, although it wouldn't be hard to find out if I felt like it.  If you mean undemocratic leader, Fidel Castro is among the world's longest ruling leaders, 48 years so far, outlasting nine US presidents.

Rgds, Bill

Edited by Hellios - 06-Nov-2006 at 18:38
Hellios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Hellios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:47
The debates about interpretations of "success" are a waste of time because ones man's success is another man's failure.  Same thing as when we lose all our time debating the definition of "terrorist" verus "insurgent" or "resistance fighter".
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2006 at 18:55
I go for Abraham of the bible. His two offsprings would later find jeudaism and Islam. And his decendants would number the same amount as the stars in the sky
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2006 at 12:13
Adolf Hitler wasn't successful at all. Hitler was an utter failure.

Don't be so quick to judge- many people will say this in relation to the holocaust but that aside, he managed to pull an entire nation out of almost complete ruin and turn it into one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world. Political Correctness has seeped into our lives so much that we are potentially afraid even to use correct historical method. I wish that people would realize that you are not a Nazi if you point out some good that Hitler did. The idea of portraying the Nazis as utter evil with not a shread of good in them is actually rather false. Don't get me wrong; they were despicable murderers in general and I lost around 5 relatives due to their death operations, but you can't avoid blatant historical facts.

I would also Nominate Sargon of Akkad (the founder of the first centralized state), the first Abbasid sultan Al-Abbas As-Saffah, who managed to manipulate an entire revolutionary movement to his own ends and gain control of an entire empire intact (buerocracies, social mechanics and all). Others that would be good to include would be emperor Hadrian, emperor Augustus, early Roman kings such as Romulus, Tullus and Numa. Some Greeks would be good as well- Cimon, Perickles and some of the other Athenian archons. Of course, some Ottoman sultans such as Suliman the Magnificent, Mehmet III and of course Osman. Speaking of Turks, some Seljuqs such as Tughril Beg- the man who (along with his grand vizier) brought Turkic power to the middle east and asia minor in large proportions, and changed the Turks from a nomadic to a settled people.

I would heartilly disagree with the notion that Alexander was- a great general, but not a good statesman. His empire was fragmented, over extended and under military rule with not a lot of proper political institutions to keep in it check. Apart from the vast swathes of cities that he called Alexandria, he did not actively (of course, the Diaodachi states later did, and he indirectly did) promote a lot to his peoples' cause. He was definatley one of the best generals, but one of the best leaders? No.

Edited by Earl Aster - 07-Nov-2006 at 12:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:26
I cast my vote for Alexander based on the options available.

In terms of military tactics, Alexander was ahead of his time. He was able to take very small groups and defeat large armies.

By teaching his men the "the Mousetrap", he was able to trap chariots. After his first battle with the Persians, the chariot was never again used as a significant weapon of war.

Alexander also influenced people like Napoleon and Patton. It has even been said that George Washington's crossing of the Deleware based off of a strategy used by Alexander in India.

Source: Florentine, I. (Director). (2004). Alexander the Great [Television series episode]. In P. Theeranuntawat (Executive Producer), Battleground: The Art of War. Military Channel.

Edited by scottmanning13 - 08-Nov-2006 at 11:26
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2006 at 11:59
Yes, I agree with you about his military genius scottmaning13, but overall, he does not deserve to be revered as a great political leader
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>