Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: which is the most successful leader in the whole history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.09%]
3 [3.09%]
29 [29.90%]
3 [3.09%]
43 [44.33%]
4 [4.12%]
11 [11.34%]
1 [1.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most successful leader
    Posted: 17-Oct-2005 at 13:42
Originally posted by Alkiviades

P.S. How can one say Hitler was "succesful"? He almost erased Germany from the map, how succesful is that? I am not talking about the incredible damage he did to the whole world, I am talking about what he did to his own country. That's hardly "succesful"...

Mate, Stalin was positioning all of his military factories around the border, not to mention masses of soldiers. It was obvious he waited for Hitler to waste GB and then start the "march" of his army. Hitler's only chance was to attack first, though not realizing the full potential of his economy, arming poorly for a long war, and the politics nazis lead in the conquered lands are partially the issues of his loss. Still he inherited the best trained army with high tactical ability ever since von Moltke's time. I agree with you, he hardly can be considered succesful, and despite the chances he had to lead a long deffensive war (some historians point out this chance of forming a tighter line of defense) he seems to not fully use the potential of Germany.

Originally posted by the Bulgarian

I think the most succesful leader was Churchil or FDR, but since neither of them is on the list I voted for Alexander.

Churchill is the best survivor, IMO, and the person who kept it all together for the Allies. This war pushes through USA and USSR in a two pole model (discussed by Paul Kennedy)- these are the two countries that are far above the rest for the next decades; the only super powers, whose zone of influence extends more on the expense of the previous colonial powers; Britain is among those that fall in the periphery.

Edited by giani_82
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 11:48

Hernan Cortes.
He managed to gather alliances among the enemies and subdits of the Mexica Empire and finally lead them to conquer Mexico Tenochtitlan.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Oct-2005 at 15:45
Peter the great for many reasons-
1.Modernized(Europeanize*) russia
2.Built the great city of St.Petersburg
3.Set up the modern russian navy
4.Great militery leader
5.Added great amounts of land too the russian empire
-----

He may not of been the greatist leader of all time, but deff the greatist russian leader, he was a modernizer. Stalin is up there too

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 03:31

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Hernan Cortes.
He managed to gather alliances among the enemies and subdits of the Mexica Empire and finally lead them to conquer Mexico Tenochtitlan.

That butcher? Defeating unarmed women and children in an "epic battle" like this was nowhere near great.

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 03:45
My vote goes to Alexander.Incase Chingis had been listed it would have been a tie.
Jai Badri Vishal
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2005 at 21:56
definatly hannibale. i dont know any other leader who could encourage his men to cross the Alps just to fight another enemy.
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
toughboy View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote toughboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 22:35
i think all u guys suc seriously i do how can u guys b bothered wasting your time posting this this is so boring
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 23:05
True, I could put in some extra hours for my job, spend time with my girlfriend, or hang out with my friends... but you don't have any of those, do you?

Anyway, I voted for Alexander. For short-term success, no one can surpass what he did.
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2005 at 08:14

Originally posted by toughboy

i think all u guys suc seriously i do how can u guys b bothered wasting your time posting this this is so boring

why are you posting anyway then? dont YOU have something more important to do????? hmmmm? seems like your spending SOME time going around websites critising everything in SIGHT!

people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 08:27
Not demeriting any of many other great leaders but I vote for Muhammad (s.a.w.) for being the vehicle that brought and re-established the Din (religion) of Allah (God) down in this earth and thus enabled billions of men, women and children along the Ages to be closer and united with The Most High. But that's just my personal opinion.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 10:24

Well I'll go with William the Conqueror from the poll list.

In my opinion, what defines a successful leader are these:

• good politician/charisma - only a gifted politician can raise to be a leader and people may not follow a an "average" guy
  • paternalist ruler - a leader is successful as long as his subjects recognize him as the leader they wan't, a paternal approach is what history showed as being the way to gain popular support or at least keep the people to became discontent
  • good propaganda - one cannot be a successful leader if he cannot make the people, not only his subjects, but also the other, even his enemies, think that he is a good leader at least.
  • good economic results during his rule and after, especially after - the good economic results must be a direct follow up of the leader politics and maintained by his followers
  • long lifespan - if one doesn't live long enough, how can he be sure that he is/was/will be considered a great leader? though not essential, and maybe somehow strange, I think that a leader who is not able to watch over his life should not be entitled to watch for the life of other people.
  • good military results - he must'n be a brilliant military commander himself but to be able to obtain the best results from his armed forces if necessary; anyway war alone doesn't make one great.

Here's some other great leaders, in my opinion: Togugawa Ieyasu, Queen Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, Napoleon Bonaparte, I.V. Stalin (he may not have been a "good" leader, but I think he was quite successful), and from my countr's history Stefan Cel Mare and Mircea cel Batran.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 10:45

Cezar, good points.

I would also like to add the following leaders to the list: Octavian Augustus, Han Shi Huang Di, Taizong, Maurya Chandragupta, Ashoka, Babur, Axayacatl, Inca Pachacutli, Clovis, Theoderic the Great,  Aurelian, Sargon I, Cyrus, Nurhachi, Jefferson, Ramses II, Thutmose III, Vladimir Monomakh, Alexander II of Russia, Jayavarman II of the Khmers, Mansa Musa of Mali.

From Romania's history, I would say that an often overlooked leader is Carol I.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2005 at 11:15
Originally posted by Decebal

From Romania's history, I would say that an often overlooked leader is Carol I.

He was overlooked during 1947-1989. I think his heir, Ferdinand I, was a better one.

You know, we may just start a topic entitled "Which was the most succesful leader of your country (countries?) history?". It will make things easier and probably less dangerous in terms of appreciation of what the people post. I for example, wouldn't know much of the leaders of the people who's country history I haven't studied. It would not mean that there weren't great leaders in those countries but just that people don't know about them.

Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 17:45

From the choices given above, it comes down to Ataturk, Alexander, Mehmet the conqueror and William the conqueror. 

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk was successful in military endeavors and as a politician.  His reforms of education with a new alphabet, and womens rights especially led Turkey into the modern world.  He pretty much successful in everything he did. 

Alexander conquered a tremendous amount of territory by military means, this allowed for different peoples to interact and bring about the hellenistic era.  Alexander died so early in his reign it is difficult to really judge him as a ruler.  His tendency for heavy drinking, and loss of his close companion Haphaestion certainly had negative impacts on his administration.  Overall Alexander was a great conqueror deserving of the title, "the Great" but didn't accomplish much by way of politics. 

Mehmet the conqueror conquerored the remnants of the decaying byzantine empire.  He was the first to established the ottoman empire with the capital at Constantinople.  He is generally recognized as the first military leader to employ cannons in a siege as a primary weapon (instead of trebuchets etc.). 

William the conqueror was also successful militarily with the conquest of modern england.  He also made major reforms in government (beneficial or not is debatable) namely tax collecting, he also initiated a major building program of castles and public works.  His conquests kept England from remaining scandanavian and brought it into the european theatre (again positive or negative is debatable).

It was difficult to choose but I voted for Alexander because his military conquests were greater than any of the other three and while he wasn't as successful in administration his conquests initiated a period of great scholarship especially in Alexandria, Egypt.

Edited by Justinian
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 18:02

Originally posted by Infidel

Not demeriting any of many other great leaders but I vote for Muhammad (s.a.w.) for being the vehicle that brought and re-established the Din (religion) of Allah (God) down in this earth and thus enabled billions of men, women and children along the Ages to be closer and united with The Most High. But that's just my personal opinion.

Good one ,

Muhammed (pbuh) has to indeed be the greatest and most influential leader in all of mankind. no man has brought such a beleif that is still being followed by great numbers and still grows. christians also are in great numbers but jesus christ never led a country and couldnt be the example to his people that he wanted to be. Hz Muhammed became an example for all of mankind in being a good leader, a good judge, a good husband, a good father, a good friend and ofcourse a good beleiver. his examples are still being (or trying to be) followed to today as the sunnah by over a billion people.

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 21:43

I share the same view with Infidel and Ottoman the Turk. My personal choice goes for prophet Muhammed (PBUH).

"My choice of Muhammad to lead the list of the world's most influential persons may surprise some readers and may be questioned by others, but he was the only man in history who was supremely successful on both the religious and secular level."
Michael H. Hart, THE 100: A RANKING OF THE MOST INFLUENTIAL PERSONS IN HISTORY, New York: Hart Publishing Company, Inc., 1978, p. 33.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2005 at 21:25

I think Muhammed,Atatrk,Alexander,Hitler,Genghis.This five men are the biggest leaders of history,this must be accepted but Hitler lost everything at the end and he is eleminated from fives and alexander is eleminated from fives because he was compelled to return back by his soldiers even though he didn't want this.Atatrk, Ghengis and Muhammed  first three.

Murph View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 23:03
well if you're putting Muhummed up there, you should probably include Jesus among the top leaders, also...unless that starts a debate on whether Jesus, as God, qualifies to be a leader
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 08:20

Hmmm...

Where are the Caesars (Augustus, Julius...), the great generals like Saladin or Richard Lionheart? You could even have put in Hitler, Lenin, Stalin... What is Ataturk doing there and why is he #2 in the Poll?!!!

I love you turks ...

Anyway, jokes apart, could somebody tell me who Boedecina is? i tried looking him up but i didn' t find anything.

Thanx.

Edited by sedamoun
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 08:22

I just voted for Boedecina because he was the only one with 0 votes.

Long live Boedecina (?!!!)

Cheers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>