Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The most successful leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: which is the most successful leader in the whole history?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.09%]
3 [3.09%]
29 [29.90%]
3 [3.09%]
43 [44.33%]
4 [4.12%]
11 [11.34%]
1 [1.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The most successful leader
    Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 07:30

After choosing the cruelest,its time to elect the most successful one!

waiting for your opinions... 

the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 07:33

Alexander.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 07:41

William Wallace and Boudica, now didn't they both lose.

I'd say Alexander, he had the good sense to die, before it all went pear shaped.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote giani_82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 07:42
The most successful in what - reforming, conquering, establishing a long lived empire? Wallace didn't live long enough to see the results of his campaign, Boadicea failed. IMO Ghengis Khan should be included, and I'll most galdly vote for him - besides expanding the most he managed to secure to some extent the future of his empire.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 08:25

I would also vote for Chinghiz... this poll lacks about 90% of the most succesful leader ever, while including some who have nothing to do with the word "success"

Of those listed, certainly Alexander is the greatest (and not because he had the sense to die, as Paul said, but because he was the stuff magnanimous leaders are made of)

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 08:40
The choice is pretty limited and most were actually not very succesful, so I had to vote for old good Alex. 

You could have looked in more succesful leaders such as the first Caliphs, Octavius, Charlemagne, Washington, Ferdinand of Aragon, Gengis Khan, Asoka, Stalin, Mao and surely many others. Of your choice, Attila compares to Alexander but his legacy was even more feeble, Hannibal was glorious but ultimately failed in achieving his goals, not sure about the British ones, and, well, Ataturk achieved something but not enough probably.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 08:53

well none of the above is the most succesfull leader in whole history.

alexander didnt actully lead a country he was a great general and a conquerer and didnt live enough to show how his rule would be.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 09:10

William the Conqueror.

The dynasty he founded went on to establish the largest empire in history, and still exists, even though the empire has been transformed into a community of equals.

None of the others can claim that. In fact nobody anyone else has mentioned can claim that.

Edited by gcle2003
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 09:37

well I just had only 10 slots and I just thought of 8...

and a stupid mistake not to add Cengiz Han too..

sorry for that

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 12:09
I think we should count all the leaders starting from acient Egypt and Babylon with monarchs to modern leaders such as Prezident Clinton of United States of America. Different times different leaders. "Managing small same as managing big" Tzun zi
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 12:37
If leaders then Atatrk. Atleast from that list.
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 20:16
Some of these opinions astonish me as perhaps mine does to others.

Khan was the most successful leader the world has ever seen IMO followed by Alexander.

Edited by dirtnap
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 01:19
Originally posted by Attila2

well I just had only 10 slots and I just thought of 8...

and a stupid mistake not to add Cengiz Han too..

but you put Chengis already under the cruelest leaders?!
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 05:20
Mustafa pasha Ataturk.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 06:03
Where is Cyrus the Great's name???Angry
Chingis View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Chingis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 06:36

All from European empires?

The 800th Anniversary of the Great Mongolian State

Great Mongolian State (1206-2006 >>>>>
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 07:25
and two turkish and one north african.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 10:24
Originally posted by dirtnap

Some of these opinions astonish me as perhaps mine does to others.

Khan was the most successful leader the world has ever seen IMO followed by Alexander.

No: the two like Atilla and others failed in one thing: to give continuity to their Empires. They got divided and succumbed after their death, so they failed in the aftermath.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 10:47

That's just innacurate. Chinghiz was succeeded by five Khaghans, I can't see how that is "failing to give continuity to his empire". And, by all means, you can't say his administrative work wasn't superb - even if he was the greatest butcher in history too.

Also, Alexander's  empire may have been divided but a)he died before he finished his conquest (not to mention his administrative work) and b)most certainly three centuries of Greek rule from the Tyrrenean sea to Hindu river and from Danube to Nubia, should be accounted for, wouldn't you agree?

Besides, all this is irelevant: the success of a ruler is not measured by the success of his heirs, but of his own. Another prime examples of extraordinary rulers with crappy heirs: Basil Bulgaroktonos has brought Byzantium in its most powerful state... and the two emperors succeeding him lost half the empire because of their incompetence.

Does this mean Basil is not THE most succesful leader of Byzantium?

dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 21:38
What Alkiviades perfectly pointed out...

Edited by dirtnap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>