Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Old Skool Gods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Skool Gods
    Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 21:27

Who are the coolest gods of the ancient now defeunct religions?  For some reason I have always liked the animal ones, namely ANubis, Bastet, and Apedemak, also the Native American Coyote Trickster is neat.  Of the more boring human looking ones I especially like Norse gods like Thor and Odin.

Wow these religions are so much cooler than the currently dominant ones.  Multiple gods are alwyas cooler anyway.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 21:52
Well, I always liked Manawyddan ap Lyr (or Manannan mac Lir) and Lugh... Tyr was a favorite of mine as well...
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:16
I like the Greek gods a lot for some reason. Poseidon is one of my favorites. Atlas was cool, Aries is probably my favorite because he looks like a spooky ghost of some dead soldier. Aphrodite is also a keeper . And the ancient Armenian God Aramazd, God of the skies, who im kind of named after.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:22

Wasn't Atlas a titan?

I don't know I'd have to say I've always liked the Nordic religions, not the new age corrupted stuff but the classic legends. I guess we can't use Hindu deities as they aren't technically defunct....

Of course the god I have to put down is Janus, seeing as how he's in my alias. I've always found the idea of a god that sees the past and future kind of interesting.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Bryan View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Bryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 22:44
Atlas was indeed a titan (his father was a titan and his mother was a nymph...). Funny thing about some of the modern depictions of him supportinh the globe on his back down on one knee is that the ancient Greeks probably imagined him carrying the flat earth...
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 00:57

Ill go for Pazuzu,..  not exactly a god but serious demon. This well endowed fellow had two pairs of wings,claws,talons, a tail and very sharp teeth.

He was King of the Demons of Wind,bearer of storms, yet found time to protect babies and their mothers from evil harm..cool dude. 

Mast View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Mast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 14:54
And the ancient Armenian God Aramazd, God of the skies, who im kind of named after.

That sounds awfully like Ahura Mazda/Ormazd, which was a Iranian god (Median).

Edited by Mast
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 18:13
Morrigan, because destruction Goddesses always rule.
Arrrgh!!"
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 18:19

Quetzalcoatl / God of the Wind ( The Feathered Serpent ). His cult was spread in all Mesoamerica and Central america under the name of Kukul Kan.

Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 19:50
I disagree with you saying that these are all defunct
religions. The majority of religions discussed here
are still being practiced.

But anyway...id have to say Wrageowrapper who is
an Australian water demon.
I also think Loki is pretty cool. And the bad guys in all
religions tend to rock.
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:17
Originally posted by Cywr

Morrigan, because destruction Goddesses always rule.

Oh, you Celt!

My favorite mythological cycles are the Greek myths, the Nart sagas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nart_saga) and the Arthurian epos -about which I'm happy to be taking a class this semester. The Narts are not human beings bur they're not exactly "gods" either so I can't really count them in together with such deities. There are theories that the Nart sagas were a starting point for the Arthurian epos, but it's a much debated issue.

I've always been fond of Athena, Bendis (a Thracian goddess, later identified with the Greek Artemis), Persephone, Hekate the Celtic Brighid and the Welsh Arianrhod as far as goddesses go. Amongst gods my favorites are Apollon, Hermes, Aidoneus (Hades) and Janus. I also find the Sarmatian pantheon pretty interesting, such as the goddess Argimpasha (identified with Aphodite) as well as the Adyghe-Abkhaz gods, some of which, such as Tlepsh (the smith god) were honored well into the 19th century. In some parts of the Caucasus, such as Abkhazia, there are still pre-Christian and pre-Islamic festivals held in honor of the seasons and ancestral gods (like the mother goddess Anchua -Anchwa) and spirits.

Sorry, there's no way I choose just ONE favorite.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:28

The majority of religions discussed here
are still being practiced.

As the ancients would recognize?

There's a reason a neo- is usually tacked onto something.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Wrageowrapper View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Wrageowrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 21:32
But every religion changes and adapts.

I mean most churches where I am from now accpet
gay members. Isn't that change. The fact that the
vikings dont pillage anymore doen't mean that the
idea of the valkyrie and valhalla doesn't bear any
relevance in todays society. They have just changed
the idea from the warrior to someone who stands
out from the crowd. Thats adaptation to the 21st
century.

Did that make any sense?
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 22:24
Originally posted by JanusRook

As the ancients would recognize?

There's a reason a neo- is usually tacked onto something.

Well there are the reconstructionist traditions and practices such as Asatru, Hellenismos, Religio Romana and most important of all Romuva because it's a recognized religion in Lithuania. I believe Asatru is also recognized, in Iceland. They are usually very academic (in the case of Hellenismos and Religio Romana) and strive to be as historically accurate as they can be (apart from obvious difficultuies such as mass animal sacrifices); or have never really died out in the first place but have been handed down from generation to generation in rural areas as in the case of Romuva as well as Northern Caucasian folk beliefs. Pagan religions are still widely practiced in Abkhazia. Neo-paganism and reconstructionism -and neo-paganism and folk religion- are all very different things, I think.

There's also the case of Zoroastrianism, which has a pantheon and is not one of the three "major" religions as well as Hinduism, which encompasses a myriad of local traditions and deities. Hinduism is not exactly new either, in fact it's one of the oldest Indo European ancestral religions. I see Romuva, Hellenismos, Asatru etc. to be on the same category with Hindu polytheism as opposed to neo-paganism, such as Wicca and whatnot, which portray a more pantheistic or dualistic theology as opposed to genuine "hard" polytheism.
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 00:38

Quetzalcoatl

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 11:26
Tyr was a favorite of mine as well

Tyr is also an Iranian God, it is the name of the fourth month of the Iranian Calendar (after Khordad/Haruvatat and before Mordad/Ameretat) whcih means "arrow, shot" in Persian language.
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 12:57

I think Odin is really cool.

He's this badass guy who gave one of his eyes to drink from the fountain of wisdom, learned the magic runes while hanging from a tree, has a spear which never misses its target and a 8 legged horse, as well as a couple of ravens which act as his spies.

Compare it to Zeus, who's afraid of everyone (his wife, the Titans) even though he can cast lightningbolts around, and spends all his time chasing godesses, half godesses, human girls, nymphys, etc... What a wimp!

I also like Dionysos, Thoth, (Roman) Mitras, and Fortuna.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 14:01
sex gods/godesses are of course really cool too
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 18:22

What about Lei-Gong(p) god of thunder... the grey skined, Bird-beak, bat winged flying man, with a hammer and an awl in his hands to made thunders?

He's pretty cool.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Sep-2004 at 20:44
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

I think Odin is really cool.

He's this badass guy who gave one of his eyes to drink from the fountain of wisdom, learned the magic runes while hanging from a tree, has a spear which never misses its target and a 8 legged horse, as well as a couple of ravens which act as his spies.

Compare it to Zeus, who's afraid of everyone (his wife, the Titans) even though he can cast lightningbolts around, and spends all his time chasing godesses, half godesses, human girls, nymphys, etc... What a wimp!

I also like Dionysos, Thoth, (Roman) Mitras, and Fortuna.

Come on, don't trash good old Zeus! it was Homer who gave him that notoriety, he was a very different god figure in pre-Homeric times, one who welcomes the stranger as Zeus Meilikhos and many other epithets; and in later philosophical traditions as well he was revered as the stately, moral figure.

As for Mithras and Fortuna, it's a shame I forgot to count them myself. One day I'll dress myself up as a boy as Yentl (haha) and join your secret Mithraic ceremonies!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>