Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Cruelest Leader

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Poll Question: Which is the most cruel leader in history
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [8.81%]
39 [24.53%]
6 [3.77%]
45 [28.30%]
46 [28.93%]
9 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Cruelest Leader
    Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 22:37
Which one of these is the most cruel leader the mankind has ever seen?
dirtnap View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote dirtnap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 22:47
Genghis Khan - because this dude just rolled over everyone... It would take a nuclear war to achieve the number of casualties this guy finished off.

Cruelest? Khan was fond of pouring molten silver into the ears and eye sockets of "soon to be not living" political enemies.

Anyone could argue the cruelest...

Edited by dirtnap
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 23:13

To be fair to Genghis Khan he lived in a totally different time to us when mass-slaughter and horrific tortures were the norms right throughout europe and asia.

You'd think though by the 20th century we'd of grown beyond such things as a species, however Hitler, Stalin and Mao are some of the most disgusting people to have ever existed. Their cynical destruction of life is far worse than the deaths through conquest which to be fair everybody in the 13th and 14th century was at when you look at it. I find it impossible to choose between Hitler and Stalin, both are equally detestable.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:09
I do not find impossible to chose between Hitler and Stalin, Stalin wasn't such a racist monster whichever his cruelty. Stalin didn't set up ovens to kill millions of people because of their ethnicity. Gulags are truly bad but can they compare with Nazi death camps? Hitler. I doubt even Gengis approached his cold racist madness. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 00:21

Quick look at Wiki below shows what a monster Stalin was, even if he was responsible for the deaths of the lowest estimates, its still into the millions. Maybe not as downright twisted as what happened in the concentration camps, but I find it hard to seperate two totally evil men, when both were responsible for such horrific suffering. I think also the fact my country was allied with this monster in our fight to defeat a greater foe makes me dislike Stalin even more.

"About one million people were shot during the periods 193538, 1942 and 194550 and millions of people were transported to Gulag labor camps. In Georgia about 80,000 people were shot during 1921, 192324, 193538, 1942 and 1945-50, and more than 100,000 people were transported to Gulag camps.

On March 5, 1940, Stalin himself and other Soviet leaders signed the order to execute 25,700 Polish intelligentsia including 14,700 Polish POWs. It became known as Katyn massacre. See massacre of prisoners.

It is generally agreed by historians that if famines, prison and labor camp mortality, and state terrorism (deportations and political purges) are taken into account, Stalin and his colleagues were directly or indirectly responsible for the deaths of millions. How many millions died under Stalin is greatly disputed. Although no official figures have been released by the Soviet or Russian governments, most estimates put the figure between 10 and 50 million. Comparison of the 192637 census results suggests 510 million deaths in excess of what would be normal in the period, mostly through famine in 193134. The 1926 census shows the population of the Soviet Union at 147 million and in 1937 another census found a population of between 162 and 163 million. This was 14 million less than the projected population value and was suppressed as a "wrecker's census" with the census takers severely punished. A census was taken again in 1939, but its published figure of 170 million has been generally attributed directly to the decision of Stalin[7] (see also Demographics of the Soviet Union). Note that the figure of 14 million does not have to imply 14 million additional deaths, since as many as 3 million may be births that never took place due to reduced fertility and choice.

Since "the margin of error" with regard to the number of Stalin's victims is virtually impossible to narrow down to a universally accepted figure, various historians have come up with extremely varying estimates of the number of victims, the highest being 60 million deaths."

Edited by Heraclius
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 04:08
Well I think Stalin's motivation for killing was typically opposition (real or imagined) to his political regime and economic policies, accentuated with his advanced paranoia.

Whatever the motivations of Stalin and Hitler my vote still goes to the Khan. His steppe warriors were possessed of a contempt for a particular class of people: the peasants. To those proud nomands, anyone who scratched a living from the dirt was worth nothing. You can imagine the consequences of an almost unrestricted mass killing of the class in society which makes up the overwhelming bulk of the population.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 04:49
For the same period of time (WWII), Heraclius' source has this figure (Rummel):

War-related Democides
  • Hitler: 20,946,000
  • Stalin: 13,053,000
  • Japanese: 5,964,000
  • Chinese Nationalist: 5,907,000
Almost all of Hitler's crimes have the agravant of racism (5-6 million Jews, 3-4 million Soviet prisioners of war, about 500,000 Roma).

While the figure for Hitler's crime doesn't shrink much depending on the historian (15-25 million), the figures atributed to Stalin are very controversial, as "only" 7 million Soviet civilians are commonly accepted to have died during WWII (same source). The author of that site says:

My Very Rough Estimate (based largely, but not entirely, on Overy, who seems well-informed and sensible.) In tenths of millions.
  • Axis POWs: 0.6M
  • Soviet Soldiers during war: 0.4M
  • Gulag: 0.6M
  • Black Sea/Caucasus Minorities: 0.2M
  • Baltic Minorities: 0.2M
  • Repatriated Soviets after the war: 1.0M
  • Germans who died fleeing the advancing Red Army: 1.0M
  • TOTAL: 4.0M
So, yes, Stalin was indeed a cruel despot but it can be hardly compared to Hitler, whatever the anti-communist propagandist (most of them rather pro-fascist) try to demonstrate inflating the figures.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 05:28

erm where's Margaret Thatcher on the poll?

Surely the reincarnation of Elizabeth Bathory.

Anyway my vote goes to maggie.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 05:33
Stalin was the cruelest leader as well as Saddam husien.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 10:43

Originally posted by Maju

Stalin was in power quite a bit longer than Hitler. Most of the deaths attributed to Stalin were outside WWII. Most of Hitler's were during it.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 10:47
Stalin definetly. Stalin sent millions of people without bullets to withstand bullets as i would see it. He let armies and divisions die for a single number of casualties formed to the enemy. He slaughtered millions of people just as a buffer to his nation.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:00
Originally posted by Heraclius

To be fair to Genghis Khan he lived in a totally different time to us when mass-slaughter and horrific tortures were the norms right throughout europe and asia.

If you did ask Genghis Khan's victims if they thought mass-slaughter and horrific tortures I'm quite sure they would have answered no. With your reasoning one can also justify Hitler by saying that killing jews was the norm in Nazi Germany.

At the moment mass-slaughter and horrific tortures are not appreciated, so we can definately call Genghis Khan on of the cruellest men that ever lived.

That said, I think the most cruel leader is either Hitler or Pol Pot.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:38
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Maju

Stalin was in power quite a bit longer than Hitler. Most of the deaths attributed to Stalin were outside WWII. Most of Hitler's were during it.

Just imagine what Hitler could have done if he had stayed in power longer than just 12 years. I decided to restrict the comparison to a period of time that includes 1 million of Soviet ex-POWs killed gratuitously just to make the comparison more clear. If Hitler would have lasted he would have killed half Europe without problem.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 12:34

well,I think it is stalin too.

Hitler's slaughters were againts a race,though he thought he is doing good to his own nation,which means he is not doing those massacres for his own power.

Though Stalin massacred people regardless of race or anything but just because they are "people" and they are mouths to feed,which means he is massacring for his own wealth.

BTW,I forgot to add Countess Bathory

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 13:15

WHO??? Is Countess Bathory? Never heard of her, to be true.

Well, another thing for Stalin is that Stalin sent many times numerous divisions against the SS on a clear field. Atleast he made the great positive action granting the Generalissimusses the ability to control their armies themselves and let them do what they want. This was the biggest miistake of Hitler's from my point as the Generals knew what their troops could do and what they could not do unlike the Fuhrer in Berlin or the Alps.

MoriheiUeshiba View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote MoriheiUeshiba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 15:19

Vlad

i mean he did slowly ram poles up peoples "lower region" slowly enough to push organs out of the way until it came out there mouth, while they were still alive might i add

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 15:43

Don't have much knowledge about Mao other than fighting Chang Kai Shek and making China communist.

Attila carried out normal steppe policy of conquering and subjugation. Sure he committed crimes in the process, though they seem to be inflated emotionally through western eyes. He would fall under the catagory of compartriots like Aeleric and Valens, or Aetius.

Drakul would take top terror honors during his day but Queen 'Bloody' Mary or Countess Elizabeth Bathory were not far behind.  

"There are some connections between the Bathorys and the Draculas. The commander of the expedition that helped Dracula regain his throne in 1476 was Prince Steven Bathory. A Dracula fief, Castle Fagaras, became a Bathory possession during the time of Elizabeth. Both families had a dragon design on their family crests."  http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/8668/Countess.html

Stalin led milliions to death due to his paranoid personailty. His Gulags and minority persecutions are numerous.

Hitler and his megalomania led to WWII and the famous Nazi concentration camps. The 20'th centuries most evil figure.

Genghis Khan did what Attila had done yet on a greater scale. He showed no mercy to those who willingly opposed him. But often created jobs and a safe haven for those who submitted. The numbers of his victims were the largest. Yet he produced an effective empire that fostered peace within its boundaries.

So my vote goes to... Hitler. The most destructive and senseless of tyrants.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 16:18

Is that the same Stefan Bathory the Poles named a transatlantic liner after? I think in fact it may have been the last regularly scheduled transatlantic passenger ship, operating through Southampton anyway.

If it was, how come he got a ship named after him?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 17:20
I just read the Bathory article, couldn't believe it! So so sick......
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 19:56
Well it explains why nearly all of the blackmetal bands write at least one song about Countess Bathory
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>