Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ossetians

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ossetians
    Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 11:00
Serbian:BREZA(birch tree if i'm guessing right);MED-honey...Do u recognize this word:dushman.Does kar(or similar) means anything in iranian(it means black in turkish).Serbian epic hero had a hound named Karaman.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 13:07

Doshman = enemy

Kar = work

I have never heard of breza.

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 14:42

Originally posted by Socrates

Serbian:BREZA(birch tree if i'm guessing right);MED-honey...Do u recognize this word:dushman.Does kar(or similar) means anything in iranian(it means black in turkish).Serbian epic hero had a hound named Karaman.

Qara/Qaura means "power", "strength" in both Ossetic dialects. There is also "kar/kara" what is "age". In Turkic languages "kara" is black, that is right.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 15:12
Qodrat is power in Persian, but I think this word has semitic aramaic roots.

Edited by Zagros
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 15:56

Originally posted by Zagros

It is interesting...

Gergian text. David Bagrationi "History of Georgia". http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/rus11/Bagrationi/frametext1.ht m
(in Russian)

There is a comment about "Caraman, a Persian knight". I have translated below:

//Time by time Georgia was conquested by different nations. This country was under rule of Dashti-Kipchaks, i.e. nations of Great Tataria, what was mentioned in "Tatarian history", written in Persian language by historian Tartuz about Ushang-Shah, called Kuzan of Anketil, and where it is written about exploits of Karaman, a Persian knight, who served Ushang-Shah. The writer of the story says that Georgian army was with Ushang-Shah during his  way to India.//

Edited by Anbalan
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Dec-2005 at 16:20
very interesting. I didn't realise the Persian language was in official use that far north.  Do you know what date these events took place?  Who is Ushang Shah? 

Edited by Zagros
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 07:52

I read something interesting about the possible ethimology of Karaman in serbian epics-one historian proposes that it was derived from Sarama -which appears to be an ancient indian godess of wind(or similar)...

How about losh- it means bad,corrupted...rings any bells?

Edited by Socrates
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Jan-2006 at 11:26

very interesting. I didn't realise the Persian language was in official use that far north.  Do you know what date these events took place?  Who is Ushang Shah? 

I couldn't determine the time. The document is not written in chronological order. I think it is about time about 600-1000 BC.

Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 15:27

Ossetians lived on mountains for centuries and far from sea. However the language has some words for exotic sea animals. Can anybody tell is any coincidence with other Iranian languages? What words are for those animals in your language? Please...chemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />>>

>

Ford - sea>>

Uartdzaf - Ocean>>

Samsagaf - dolphin (samsa ? + gaf (fish))>>

Donihog - dolphin (means water caw)>>

Arheugaf - dolphin (arheu ?  + gaf (fish))>>

Gaja - whale>>

Galgaf - whale (bull+fish)>>

Bergaf - sea caw (ber ? + gaf (fish))

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 15:30
Gav (like Ossetian gaf), means cow, seems like everything is a type of cow lol.
Anbalan View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Anbalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 17:10

Gav (like Ossetian gaf), means cow, seems like everything is a type of cow lol.

Not exactly. "gal" i bull (gav?), but "gaf" is from "kaf" (fish). When it is uzed with another word the "k" becomes "g". I don't know why.   But caw is "hog" (g^og). Anyway it is close.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 17:39

Aha, I see, it would be itneresting to see some Pashtun equivalents too. 

We call whales nahang,

fish is mahi (masi in avestan)

Sea is Darya and an ancient alternative is "zu"

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2006 at 04:40

The Persian word for "Whale" is "Balen", "Nahang" (Manichean Pahlavi nhng) means "Crocodile".

The most widespread fish in the Caspian sea (in fact it is native to the Caspian sea but has been introduced into Europe, North America, and elsewhere.), is Carp, in Persian Kapur.

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:13

Hello!

The original Pashto word for fish is Kab or Kap.

Cow is called Ghwa.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:37
Originally posted by Anbalan

It is interesting...

Gergian text. David Bagrationi "History of Georgia". http://www.vostlit.info/Texts/rus11/Bagrationi/frametext1.ht m
(in Russian)

There is a comment about "Caraman, a Persian knight". I have translated below:

//Time by time Georgia was conquested by different nations. This country was under rule of Dashti-Kipchaks, i.e. nations of Great Tataria, what was mentioned in "Tatarian history", written in Persian language by historian Tartuz about Ushang-Shah, called Kuzan of Anketil, and where it is written about exploits of Karaman, a Persian knight, who served Ushang-Shah. The writer of the story says that Georgian army was with Ushang-Shah during his  way to India.//

As far as i know Karamans are Turkic descent people who where in anatolia before the seljoeks came there (after 1071) and most of them where/are orthodox christians.

Also we have some hero's with the word karaman in it.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:38

Thanks for the input Zarak Khan.

Kap and Gaf

I am not an expert but I can see the similarity between these two words.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 13:39

dushman is the Turkifed version of as zagros pointed doshman in persian and it means enemy. Kar/kara means black but also land, like qara qumlum desert in northern china. Kar means also snow.
Yekta View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Yekta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:05

The word for hero in Persian is Qahramn/Ghahramn.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 14:07
We have city's called in Turkey as "Karaman" and have proverb "karaman'in koyunu sonradan cikar oyunu" i cant translate it its hard.
ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 19:31
I though Ghare in Ghare-ghozlu means Black. Ghozlu being Sheep.
"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>