Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander the Great

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander the Great
    Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 14:09

My. my, my, gentlemen, with all these flames, its gotten a bit warm in here.

When I become Empress of the Universe, none of this will matter one bit because you'll all be mine.  

Just a bit of levity to try to diffuse the situation.  Thought I should mention that before the flames toast me.

Of course this does give me a perfect opportunity to show the difference between actual debate and a flame war.  Without even caring or mentioning who posted what....because at this point in time, it doesn't matter.....

I've noticed that you FYROMians always use Demosthenes' speech as an argument but what you never seem to understand is that Demosthenes was the leader of the "party" that was against  Makedonia and debated that they would enslave Athens and destroy their civilization.

Whether or not you agree with the comment quoted above, it is an example of how to debate the issue and to disagree on the ISSUE rather than the poster.

This comment, however,

But than again, this tells that you really camed from africa, because all your closest dna relatives are from there.

(that sure explanes the why are you so dark and black)

Is flaming because rather than debating or attacking the issue, the poster is attacking the person.

BIG DIFFERENCE.....very big difference.  There's been too little of the former and far too much of the latter.

Back to the subject at hand, rather than ask what the current Macedonian situation has to do with Alexander the Great, perhaps we should either get back to the subject or dispense with the topic to start with.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 16:13
Sheesh...so much arguing.Can't you people just stop making fools of yourselves all over again by bringing up the same topic over and over again?Already there have been more than five topics with the relevance of Macedonians,along with relating it to Alexander and Greece.Even some other topics are being consumed by your constant bickering.

In Honor
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 19:06
Stop the insulting NOW
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2005 at 21:25
I noticed that he has been making repetitive remarks about the same subject over and over again.We get the point.

Edited by Vamun Tianshu

In Honor
Aristoteles View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Aristoteles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 09:34

Moderators, I find the lies this person spouts in every possible opportunity (and even without any opportunity) highly offending to me and my compatriots and frankly highly offending to any sense of justice and truth.

I am asking for actions taken against this person. While you are at it, I will seize responding or in any other way giving him a chance to further his biased, racist, ignorant, blatant, unethical, hate-filled lies.

Edited by Aristoteles
Trying to educate the ignorant, leads only to frustration
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Feb-2005 at 17:51
another thread locked due to - off topic posts and inflamatory coments.
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2005 at 18:00
To members who were offended by the comments in the Flame War - thank you for your patience and allow me to apologize for those who temporarily derailed the discussion.

Quite a large number of off topic, insulting and inflamatory posts have been deleted.  Future similar posts will be as well.  This topic is open again as long as it can stay on the subject and everyone can behave themselves.

Someone was saying something about Alexander?
In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 07:58
Originally posted by Perseas

Originally posted by Pilot

Get off you hellenic/graecianic high horse!

This tread calls for the greatest greaciano WARRIOR or..THE GREATEST GRAECIAN CUT THROAT COMMANDER.

Alexander III loved persians, he hated greeks and anyone who pissed him off, and he did not hesitate to treat them accordingly (except for a few special tepans and atinian notables).

The greatest warrior/general is one that does not fight. egThe Macedonian Alexander I, he had to spruk to be allowed to compete, the greeks, not wanting to piss him off and start a war, let him run.

Indeed!! He hated Greeks so much that for revenge never missed a chance to announce his greek ancestry, not counting the fact in order to punish these bloody greeks went and  spread their culture and language everywhere he passed through. You have that certain nothing!

Not only He, but his father "Phillip the barbaros" as he was called, hated greeks with a vengance. Have you heard of Tebes (he was hostage) and Charonea? There was no love for most greeks b4 and after this, only hatered for Greeks which lasted all Phillips life. Even the Greeks danced in the street when Alexander died etc etc.

He was a Macedonian warrior and paid homage to lots of gods and ancestors, he also spread greeks well, it is written is in the sourses.
The Language he spread in far lands is like you and me using english, it has no consequence when we are at home. That is why greek did not stick in his administered lands when the party was over. See bagdad posts etc. in genetics/linguistics forum if you want to discuss language in detail, not here.

I have whatever it is i have, I see you have 5 stars Mr P., Glob.Mod.

Posts deleted in the previous topic. If people want to discuss about the nationality of Alexandros and subsequently the ancient macedonians, do it here. But please do it calmly and using arguments, instead of cries and insults!

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pilot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2006 at 08:13
Ok then there was racial rivalry, hate, monarchy vs city states, coatal dwellers vs in/highlanders etc. It is clearer every minute.

btw are you and Perseas related?

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2006 at 18:07

Not only He, but his father "Phillip the barbaros" as he was called, hated greeks with a vengance.  Have you heard of Tebes (he was hostage) and Charonea?

Noone but you, has ever heard of anything like Tebes or Charonia as it seems. Either learn to spell a name correctly without assasinating it or dont write it at all.

As for being a hostage, it was something accustomed for a king to send a member of the royal house as a hostage in classical ages. Philip had been sent as a hostage firstly to Illyrians and later to Thebes. Fact is that in many ways Philip was quite fortunate in the time and place of his exile. There he stayed in the house of Pammenes and had the luck of meeting Epaminondas who was then in the process of reorienting hoplite tactics. It is clear that the experience was to have a profound effect on Philips development as a commander after he came to the throne. Nothing to do with your illusions. 

He was a Macedonian warrior and paid homage to lots of gods and ancestors,

The only thing that makes sense in your post. Indeed Macedonian kings were proud of their Argive ancestry but especially Philip not only paid homage as you said to gods but had a statue representing himself among the twelve gods of Olympus both in Pella and at the second most sacred place in Greek world after Delphi, Olympia. 

Histories, Chapter 16, 91.5-6

"He (King Philip) wanted as many Greeks as possible to take part in the festivities in honour of the gods, and so planned brilliant musical contests and lavish banquets for his friends and guests. Out of all Greece he summoned his personal guest-friends and ordered the members of his court to bring along as many as they could of their acquaintances from abroad"

he also spread greeks well, it is written is in the sourses.
The Language he spread in far lands is like you and me using english, it has no consequence when we are at home. That is why greek did not stick in his administered lands when the party was over.

I dont know if you have any clue what you are writing but let me help you a little with making you developing your syllogism, as far as it is possible anyhow.

As you know, many in history have conquered territories and have tried to influence them by spreading their culture/language.

Your next homework will be:

Name me examples in antiquity, from people who have conquered a territory and have spread.... a foreign culture and/or language of people they strongly "hated", as your wrote above.

Had you the slightest common sence, you would ask yourself why Greek language was used in all inscriptions and writings in the areas controlled by Macedonia, among them the territory of Macedonia itself and why would supposedly 'non-Greeks' solely spread the Greek culture, and especially a language of people they highly "hated" as you stated.

What kind of conqueror goes and spreads the culture of people he "hates"?

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Benedict View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Benedict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2006 at 10:43
Originally posted by Dari

Originally posted by BattleGlory

I can only guess that you mean why did he turn back after conquering only part of India.  For one thing, he didn't turn back in the middle of a battle.  His men refused to go any further and none of his exhortions had any effect on them at all.  He was thus required to turn back to his empire.

No...

And that's not what I was talking about. Alexander was only a great conqueror, nothing more. He is no great man, in anything else. He slaughtered thousands upon thousands of people. Ransacked many parts of India that he managed to invade and devesated the Iranian peoples with his attacks on their culture and religion.

Ermm... I think that's called war. It's not nice. Though you have a point. Alexander was a great general (not perfect, as I've heard him called), but as you say somewhat of an A--h-o-l-e. Read: example Tyre.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234