Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What does finnish sound like to non speak

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What does finnish sound like to non speak
    Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 18:37

Well i want to know how it sounds like.

note: im not good att finish becous i don't live in finland but im still finnish if u want to know. im not good att english to.

some finnish words

blod = veri

hand = kssi

hello! = terve!

Edited by rapala
Menander View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Menander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2005 at 23:50
I think Finnish is regarded as quite a beautiful language among lots of people, myself included. 
"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path." -Siddhartha Gautama
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 09:10
Thanks, you're giving us too much credit. I think it's a hard and coarse language. I'll give a sample for those not familiar with Finnish:

Hyv piv! Asun Helsingiss, Suomen pkaupungissa. Suomi on metsinen maa, ja tunnettu lukuisista jrvistn. Suomen kansalliselin on karhu, jonka muita nimi ovat muiden muassa: mesikmmen, metsn kuningas, ohto, ja kontio. Suomen kansalliskukka on kielo, joka on myrkyllinen mutta kaunis. Suomen lipun on suunnitellut Akseli Gallen-Kallela, Suomen tunnetuimpi taitelijoita. Suomen kansallislaulun on sanoittanut J.L.Runeberg. Laulun keskisi aiheita ovat suomalaisten rauhallisuus ja Suomen luonto. Suomalaiset ovat mys tunnettuja saunasta, joka on mys melkeinp vakiovarusteena jopa kaupunkien asunnoissa.

Good day! I live in Helsinki, the capital of Finland. Finland is woody country, and known from it's many lakes. The national animal of Finland is the bear, which has other names, for example: honeypaw, the king of the forest, ohto and kontio. The national flag of Finland is the Lily of the valley, which is poisonous but beautiful. The flag of Finland has been designed by Akseli Gallen-Kallela, one of Finland's most known artists. The Finnish national anthem lyrics have been wrtieen by J.L.Runeberg. The underlying themes are the calmness of Finns and Finnish nature. Finns are also known of the sauna, which is almost a necessity even in the city buildings.

Every letter is pronounced as written, and p, t and k are not aspirated.

Thank you and goodbye.

Edited by Kuu-ukko
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 10:06
It's a crazy language, totally incomprehensible, and one of the most funny-sounding ones. Female Swedish-speaking Finns have the most sexy accent (speaking Swedish). Ei saa peitt!

Edited by Styrbiorn
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 10:18
My older sister is no linguistics expert, she had a finnish roomate when she was at university and said that it sounded chinese when she was on the phone to finland.  I have actually only heard it a couple of times and not for years so I don't know.

Edited by Zagros
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 15:01
Found some dialect samples of Finnish. I know, they're not the same that is taught in schools, but no-one speaks it anyway : http://www.internetix.fi/opinnot/opintojaksot/8kieletkirjall isuus/aidinkieli/murteet/aaninayt.html

Just click on a dialect [...... murretta, .....murteet, ......], then either wav. or ram. samples.

I guess I speak a bit the same kind of dialect as the third from the top, although my family is almost by the sea, straight to the left from the map...

Edited by Kuu-ukko
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2005 at 15:45
There are a lot of -issa and -assa! It seems like Finland = Suomen. No relation between two words. Do you know where the words "Finn" or "Finland" come from?
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Kuu-ukko View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kuu-ukko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 06:32
Well the suffix is -ssA (A means it can either be a or , depending on vowel harmony), and -i- is the plural suffix in the middle of a word, for example asunnoissa "in (the) apartments".

Suomen is actually the genetive of Suomi. The term "Finn" was first used by Tacitus describing the Saami living in modern Tavastia, using the term "skrithfenni", sky-Finns. At first it was thought to mean the modern Finns, because Finns mainly live on former Saami territory. Suomi on the other hand is more complex. It is from the same source as Saami "sabme" and "Hme", Tavastia. These are either thought to be indigenous or borrowed from a Baltic source(or even Indo-European), but the question is still open.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 06:37
Thanks for the information
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:56
The term "Finn" was first used by Tacitus describing the Saami living in modern Tavastia, using the term "skrithfenni", sky-Finns. At first it was thought to mean the modern Finns, because Finns mainly live on former Saami territory.

Well, skrithfinn means 'striding wanderer' in Norse and old Germanic, Tacitus got the info from these. It's still in doubt exactly who these people were though, though nowadays it's mostly believed they were the Sami. The [modern] Finns and Finland got the name from the Germanic Scandinavians who refered to the all wanderers and nomads in that area as 'finn', and the name stuck even after they became settled. The word can also be found in Finnveden in southern Sweden, meaning the 'Finn forest', refering to the inhabitants who lived of hunting and fishing.
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 11:58

This goes off topic now.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 12:52
I posted a link to a Finnish movie in the Arts & literature forum. So if you want to know what it sounds like, you know where to look (its with English subtitles).
Arrrgh!!"
Attila2 View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Attila2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 10:28
To my Turkish ears,finnish sounds a bit cute childish,you know like loolli tooivvvii llooollvviii like this
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 11:27

Well im not a racist but some swedes are kind of stupid cuz they think they understand finnish like they understand norweigan so they kepp asking me if i can speak finnish and they speak swedish back OMG...

Yes finnish sounds weird becous it's mutch diffirent than other european languages.

BTW iv seen more stupid finns than swedes so dont take this to serious.

Edited by rapala
gerik View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote gerik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 12:11
For me finnish sounds like the language of the aboriginal people of Hawai,
especially the words with many difthongs like ou etc.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 14:23
Originally posted by rapala

Yes finnish sounds weird becous it'smutch diffirent than other european languages.

If you're replying to me I'll just add I responded tongue-in-cheekly. I like the Finns, and thus poke fun at them.
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 09:18

Originally posted by Cywr

I posted a link to a Finnish movie in the Arts & literature forum. So if you want to know what it sounds like, you know where to look (its with English subtitles).

Yeah that movie sucks cuz those who made it were propably geeks.

BTW i want more replys!!!

Edited by rapala
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 14:21
give me a link of an good finnish song and ill reply my guess about it.
Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 15:21

Finnish sounds hard, stiff and rough compared to swedish and smi, although finnish is closely related to the smi languages. Just look at the examples:

North Smi:   Finnish:   English:

Dearva-Terve-Hello

Beaivi-Piv-Day, Sun 

Guolli-Kala-Fish

Meahcci-Mets-Forest

Jvri-Jrvi-Lake

Chlbmi-Silm-Eye

Dlu-Talo-House

Giella-Kieli-Language

Rudat-Rahat-Money

Dolla-Tuli-Fire

Edited by Mangudai
Nu guhk go mis leat meahcit, de lea mis dorvu dn eatnam alde

Ossfok i s kringest sturwekster sttliger. Summer v kulluma i riktit finer!
rapala View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote rapala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Oct-2005 at 15:29
Originally posted by Mangudai

Finnish sounds hard, stiff and rough compared to swedish and smi, although finnish is closely related to the smi languages. Just look at the examples:

North Smi:   Finnish:   English:

Dearva-Terve-Hello

Beaivi-Piv-Day, Sun 

Guolli-Kala-Fish

Meahcci-Mets-Forest

Jvri-Jrvi-Lake

Chlbmi-Silm-Eye

Dlu-Talo-House

Giella-Kieli-Language

Rudat-Rahat-Money

Dolla-Tuli-Fire

Your right some people think samis are not close to finns.

Samis and finns are like islandic and swedes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>