Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Viking Battle-Axes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
HistoryGuy View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viking Battle-Axes
    Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 17:43

Did viking axes belong to people of high status, or low status? What do you know about bearded axes?

هیچ مردی تا به حال به شما درباره خدا گفته.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 03:23
Any status, rather. Axes were common among the rich and among the poor; the sword on the other hand was the weapon of status and those who could afford them.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2005 at 15:59
You see I have two, the picture i am showing you is believe to have belonged to a person of high status. What do you think?

Edited by HistoryGuy
ironaxe View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ironaxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 15:34
They were the pride of place in Viking armies- the axemen were considered the most honoured in battle. Maybe they were considerd by the warriors as on a similar par to the mythical qualities of the sword?

Berserkers were armed with these fearsome weapons and wanted to fight ahead of the main 'shieldwall'- usually their axes were on a 4ft shaft (& 70cm razor-sharp blade), which was also used to wound or stun a foe until the death blow by axeblade.
Svantoretro View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Svantoretro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 17:15

Northman seems knowledgeable about Vikings.  Try him.

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 20:14

Ok - let me try to add a bit...

The Viking battle axe went by many names, including Dane-axe, English long axe, Viking axe, hafted axe and Danish long axe.
It was a weapon in contrast to the winged axes, which was a tool for carpentry, boatbuilding etc. Of course such axes could have been used in battles - but they are not the traditional war-axe.

However, in reference to prior posts, I dont think it was connected to high status to use an axe in battle.
Maybe high status as a warrior (beserkers), but not social status.
But it certainly would take a rather big guy to handle a 5-6 feet axe.
The Kings men, the hirth-men (knights of those days) wore swords - in many cases family swords of great value which were handed down through more generations, whereas their "housecarls" wore cheaper weapons including the axes, spears, bows and arrows etc.

Its also worth mentioning, that the hirth-men didnt serve the king as a traditional constantly armed force. They were landowners, spread all over the country, but the king could summon them (leding or leidgang) when he needed them.
They each had a number of housecarls and that way each landowner came with his own "platoon" - either by horse, or in his own longship(s)

The Dane-axe..

The Norwegian Coat of Arms (from around 1200)

Winged axe used by carpenters...

Another winged Axe... working on a longship

Edited by Northman - 09-Jun-2006 at 03:11
Achilles View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Achilles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jun-2006 at 21:37
Northman, did the Danes or the Norse ever use the labrys (double-headed axe)?
Der Erste hat den Tod,
Der Zweite hat die Not,
Der Dritte erst hat Brot.

Fur immer frei und ungeteilt
-always free and undivided-

Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 10:19
Originally posted by Achilles

Northman, did the Danes or the Norse ever use the labrys (double-headed axe)?

The possibility for someone to use such a weapon at that time is thinkable, but to my best knowledge and memory, I have never seen any reference about it.

Through the contacts the Norsemen made to other cultures during three centuries, we cannot exclude they have used a broader variety of weapons than we normally would think. There are just no evidence to support the possibility.
Likewise, I find it possible that the normal conception of a gang, exclusively of blond, blueeyed pirates isnt quite accurate. The well known use of mercenaries and slaves for battle, would definately include other colors as well - and maybe other weapons.
So, in general I believe we tend to hang on to the typical image of a Viking. The truth could be a little different.  

Maybe others would like to comment too....

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote HistoryGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 13:05
That picture is a battle axe from my personal collection... It was believed to be a throwing axe.. Were throwing axes honoured?Confused
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2006 at 14:06
Originally posted by HistoryGuy

That picture is a battle axe from my personal collection... It was believed to be a throwing axe.. Were throwing axes honoured?Confused

The norsemen used a broad selection of axes for different purposes.
For battle - besides the Danish Axe, maybe 2 or 3 different sizes/shapes of one handed axes, and of course, it was mostly the smaller axes that was considered throwing axes. I cannot estimate the size of your axe, but it seems fairly big. On viking festivals, I have tried to throw larger axes (with 2 hands) - but I must admit I found it difficult, although I'm not exactly tiny myself (6"6')

The axe you show is a fine Bearded Axe - usually a single handed axe, that could be used in battles, but also as a chopping tool.
The difference to the winged axes are, that the winged axes are asymmetrical to make it possible to slice splinters off from a broad board, without having the handle to get in the way. Even the handle could be asymmetrical - to keep the hands free of the board.

The bearded axes like yours are symmetrical.  

Gavriel View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Gavriel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 04:54
I like the scenes depicting the Huscarl wielding his Danish Axe with the dead horses around his feet on the Bayeux tapestryLOL,take that you smelly Normans.
Its a awesome destructive weapon but how do you defend with a Axe ?you cant carry a shield because you need both hands to use the Axe and i dont think it would be any good at parrying a sword (i've never tried it though).You've got to be a very skilled warrior to use a Axe in battle and survive to the end.

The throwing Axe used by the Franks is called the Fransisca (i dont know if any Vikings used those type of weapons though),they released the weapon into the opposing shieldwall just before they ploughed into it to try and disrupt the enemy ranks.Giving them an oppartunity to wack there Swords/Axes's into some Helmets Big smile.

Edited by Gavriel - 10-Jun-2006 at 04:54
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 19:19
here's an example of housecarl's weapon i like....it's a reproduction.
Stark View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2006 at 21:58
Northmen could you give some more information on the hirth-men? I would really like to learn more about them.
Winter Comes But We Do Not Sleep.
John the Kern View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote John the Kern Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 16:00
Defence with an axe is hard, at best you hope your first blow lands, otherwise your in trouble, but thats only for two handed axes like the dane axe,
My peoples tale is written in blood
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 18:31

To understand the concept about "Hirdmnd" (hirth-men) and the leidang fleet, a little backgroud can be usefull.

In Denmark, before and in early Viking Age, it was the free farmers (landowners) who was the ruling class. In each village or town, a "Byting" (town-thing) was summoned  frequently, and here they gave themselves laws, rules and verdicts. Cases involving more than the town itself, was brought to the "Herredsting" (shire-thing) and above these, were the five "Landsting" (country-thing), located in Viborg, Urnehoved, Odense, Roskilde and Lund.
The representatives from the Townthings and Shirethings would be considered chieftains.
The Countrything's elected the king, so until the earliest attempts to establish a royal power who could and would defend the whole area as such, Denmark had at least 5 locally elected kings.
(Largely same system in Scandinavia as a whole)
These kings were as described, leaders of farmers - "The first amongst Equals", and they had only few or none of the rights we normally would consider belonging to a king.
No power to issue laws or convict anyone -  only the landowners Thing's could do that.
Later on, the kings and chieftains would elect a common king to protect the country. They could see a need for this with all the turmoil going on in Europe at that time. They swore him support and allegiance, they accepted to support with armed men and ships when he called in order to protect the country, attack an enemy or simply to go "in Viking" (raiding).  This is known as the "Ledings Flaaden" (leidang fleet), and  some of these men,the hirth-men, also served as personal lifeguards and advisors to the king.
However, any free man with a ship - Chieftain or Hirthman could go raiding as he pleased - and they did.

Stark View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Stark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jun-2006 at 21:07
Thanks Northman. I knew a little about the things, although not much and and I always thought it was called a 'ting', so it's good to know what they really were called, and how many different kinds there were, as well as how kings were picked. Thanks for the information Smile
Winter Comes But We Do Not Sleep.
 Post Reply Post Reply