Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedATATURK!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
ISLAMIC EMPIRE View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: ATATURK!!!
    Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 03:48

hi i like to introduce myself my name is Cengiz and i am a turk although if someone did ask me am i turk? i would say im a muslim.

I found this quote from the internet i was thinking what use think of it, is it true use think?

"If you said one thing bad about Ataturk you are executed, yet say one bad thing about Allah you are considered mad."

also this not a quote but its something someone asked me the other day knowing i was a devoted determined muslim They said to me: "Your a traitor to ATATURK". knowing they werent loyal to ALLAH and they didnt practise Islam i said back "Your a traitor to ALLAH."

life it seems will fade away
drifting farther every day
all i gotta do is pray
nothing matters, no-one else
simply nothing more to give
there is nothing more for me
i need the end to set me free
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 04:12

well there was a similar topic bfore but i think it got locked anyway,

selamun aleykum brother and welcome,

Ive herd similar things also about the quote u mentioned but maybe our brothers from turkey can elaborate. one thing i no for sure its not going to be pretty after witnessing so many posts that clerly state the love there is for ataturk by some turkish members.

i think ataturk is very misunderstood by most of the turks he saved the country for our FUTURE not for us to be stuck back there becoz of the love that we have for him. hopefully not as much as the love for allah and the prophet inshallah. 

our savior of this life (ataturk) hopefully doesnt replace our saviour of our next eternal life (Hz Muhammed).

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 06:26
oh not again! Ataturk!! why is this topic raised every once a while!

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 07:15

omg wth is this? Is it because Atatrk whas the leader commander who did defeated the ANZAC soldiers the aussy's hate him or let hate him?

I know few words of Atatrk what he said about Islam and Muhammed saw, for example:"you can erase my name but ours prophet Muhammed s.a.s. name will stay forever..."

intikam_timi View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 03:09

*edited by Yiannis - only english language is allowewd in this part of the forum.*

Edited by Yiannis
Hafif aclar konuulabilir,ama derin aclar dilsizdir...
giani_82 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 04:55

I can't discuss much about this quote, for the mere reason I find it for the first time.

Yet it's reasonable for many people to respect the legacy of Ataturk, his work to prevent your country from total consumption requires admiration. After all the first country with revised treaty after WW I is Turkey. IMO, his reforms were necessary to secure the future of the country, and in a way it's because of him the fact that Turkey has recently started negotiations with the EU. And if at some points he acted harsh, in internal conflicts or on the political scene (trying to establish a one party state - the two attempts for insertion of another party failed at some time) it was because he wanted to prevent fundamentalist movements alongside anarchial ideology. Afterall, he managed to dodge the communist movement which was quite intense between the two world wars and shortly after them.

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising everytime we fall."
Confucius
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 19:53
Originally posted by ISLAMIC EMPIRE

hi i like to introduce myself my name is Cengiz and i am a turk although if someone did ask me am i turk? i would say im a muslim.

I found this quote from the internet i was thinking what use think of it, is it true use think?

"If you said one thing bad about Ataturk you are executed, yet say one bad thing about Allah you are considered mad."

also this not a quote but its something someone asked me the other day knowing i was a devoted determined muslim They said to me: "Your a traitor to ATATURK". knowing they werent loyal to ALLAH and they didnt practise Islam i said back "Your a traitor to ALLAH."

mind something else, no use of discussing such things.can't you think of your own?

"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2005 at 19:54
I am first Turk, then Muslim
"When one hears such music, what can one say, but .... Salieri?"
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 02:48

Originally posted by erci

I am first Turk, then Muslim

the turkish culture is almost identical to the islamic culture anyway. for example i cant imagine a christian or jew turk. atheist is different though thats denial and people can get into denial easily. but the way i see it, it is more rare to come across a christian turk then it is to a christain arab.

so that statement is irrelevant in my opinion ofcourse, 

we are turkish muslims- one cant calm before the other.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 05:37

the turkish culture is almost identical to the islamic culture anyway. for example i cant imagine a christian or jew turk.

If there are Christian Arabs there can be Christian Turks. To be christians doesn't mean to forget your language or culture. Look at the slavic people: they were slav before christianity and they remained slav after conversion to christianity. I heard that during the Ottoman Empire there were Turkish speaking christians who went to Greece after the population exchange, is it true?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 06:43
Originally posted by Alessandro

I heard that during the Ottoman Empire there were Turkish speaking christians who went to Greece after the population exchange, is it true?

Absolutelly, you reffer to the Karamanlides: http://www.megarevma.net/Karamanlides.htm

this is their site: http://www.kappadokes.gr/english/history/his_pages/his_19.ht m

The same has happened to ethnik Greek muslims, espesially in Crete, who were deported along with the Turks. Today there's a village in Tunisia where the inhabitants still speak Greek, but are Muslims and come from Crete.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 08:00
I heard that Kostas Karamanlis is one of them. Am I right?
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 08:09

The name indicates so, but his family originates from the Area of Serres, in Macedonia, long before the Karamanlides of Cappadocia came to the area. so I really don't know, perhaps some other connection exists which we're not aware of...

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 08:18
There was a news on Turkish TVs that he would come and visit his grandfathers' house...
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 09:27
also i heard of that Muslim Greeks where deported inner anatolia during WW1, is that also true?
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 16:14

the turkish culture is almost identical to the islamic culture anyway. for example i cant imagine a christian or jew turk.

If there are Christian Arabs there can be Christian Turks. To be christians doesn't mean to forget your language or culture. Look at the slavic people: they were slav before christianity and they remained slav after conversion to christianity.

i never sed that there cant be any christian turks i just sed it is extremely rare in todays world to see a turkish person who is a fully devoted christian.

the reasons are obviuos, muslims believe in jesus (pbuh) anyway so it can be unlogical (is that right?) to go back one step and reject mohammed (pbup). but i am not denying that it can happen but as i sed it is extremely rare.

strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 18:32

Originally posted by DayI

also i heard of that Muslim Greeks where deported inner anatolia during WW1, is that also true?

In Greek eyes when a Greek converted to Islam he was no longer a Greek, but a Turk. Turks were transported to Turkey, while Greeks were transported to Greece.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 21:23
Originally posted by oTToMAn_TurK

If there are Christian Arabs there can be Christian Turks. To be christians doesn't mean to forget your language or culture. Look at the slavic people: they were slav before christianity and they remained slav after conversion to christianity.

i never sed that there cant be any christian turks i just sed it is extremely rare in todays world to see a turkish person who is a fully devoted christian.

the reasons are obviuos, muslims believe in jesus (pbuh) anyway so it can be unlogical (is that right?) to go back one step and reject mohammed (pbup). but i am not denying that it can happen but as i sed it is extremely rare.

Not every Turk is a moslem. Many are atheist. Some are still searching. Others have Christian ancestry and are either staying that way or are reverting to their older faith. Faith in religion can be based on reason, desire, peer pressure and familiarity, etc.. For a moslem to go back and deny the last prophet of Islam sounds illogical. But for the undecided it is not necessary to see it that way. In Christianity Jesus may be the final arbiter and saviour. So for Christians the logic is to reject religions that do not hold this view, especially a religion that came after it. Since not all Turks are sold on the Islamic relgion, they may feel comfortable in other religions such as Christianity.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 01:58
Seko's analysis of religious adherence is something that I can't argue against, so let me go back to the discussion on Ataturk.  This is for all, but my counterparts from Turkey should consider this especially: the parallel between Ataturk and the last Shah of Iran is valid. You see, in order to modernize Iran the Shah discarded much of Persian culture and began to implement european traditions and customs.  The result was: the Persians are a proud people and they had enough of the Shah's nonsense. In  the case of Ataturk, his proponants proclaim that 'what a great hero he was for the Turkish people'.  But how can this be: just observe the contradiction in this proclamation.  Ataturk turned his back on the Turkish traditions, yet he is claimed a Turkish hero. For example, in order to 'modernize' the country, he ordered the fez be replaced with the european-style hat; he brought over european nannies to teach turkish school children how to dress in the european style, he forbade  muslim women from wearing the head-scarf in public. My first point is this: how does the european hat bring modernity, didn't Turkish parents know how to dress their children (eventhough, the Turkoman civilization existed for thousands of years, and conqured vast areas for centuries), how does limiting Islam bring modernitiy (especially, since Islam encouraged the formation of the most modern civilization between the eighth and thirteenth century, where works of hippocrates, plato, and socrates were preserved and the modern numerical system was developed, and an ethical code for international trade was created that was respected by even the europeans).  So much to say, but it suffices to say that Ataturk's vision of what is required for modernity was short-sighted. My second point is that, Ataturk's effort did not result in modernization of Turkey, but rather europeanization of this great land.  In my opinion he sold out the Turkish heritage and culture. Just look at it this way, if I ask a Turk to tell me something that is uniquely theirs, what will his/her answer be? Probably nothing. So, I still struggle to see how you can define a person to be your hero, who did little more than to sell you out.  This legacy of Ataturk is still visible, as Turkey is practically bagging (pardon my language) to be part of the European Union.  Ataturk is no hero, not to the Turks, and definitely not an example to rest of humanity (as humans it is our nature to stand on our own feet, not to copy others).
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Oct-2005 at 02:40

Ataturk is considered as a hero especially for his leading role in the Independence War, not for his modernizing reforms. On the other hand, you are extremely vulgarizing the results of those reforms.

Originally posted by Muslim

]

Just look at it this way, if I ask a Turk to tell me something that is uniquely theirs, what will his/her answer be? Probably nothing.

Beside the many unic things, also the practice of the borrowed features are performed in a unic way.  So you are vulgarizing the results of those reforms I think....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>