Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rushton Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rushton Revisited
    Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:17

oh ok

this is sub-sahara

so what is abeed?

Plutarch View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Plutarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:24

whats abeed?

I'm sorry, I assumed you spoke Arabic. 

But they've been nailed so frequently for doing just that in the past, plus the shallow media sensationalism just encourages them.

Can you provide an example of this?

Plus as mentioned, with comparative IQs, there is no standard of measure, they can just use whatever they want, massive scope for insertion of personal bias.

Although there is no definite standard, the same measurments are still applied equally to the different people.  I can assure you the researchers are held to certain standards that ensures the soundness of their research. 

There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people. --Thomas Jefferson
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:32
Can you provide an example of this?

How about the critiques of the last few sensationalist studies. And no i'm not talking about the 'omg we're all the same' ones, i'm taking about the academic ones that brought into question methods and reliablilty of data, samples etc.

Although there is no definite standard, the same measurments are still applied equally to the different people.

No they are not, different countries have different IQ tests, furthermore, IQ tests change over time (this is part of explanation for the Flynn effect), all in theory measuring some sort of G intellegence, but inevitably subject to each different country's interpretation of what that is.
So comparing two countries in the present is problematic, but when you have people comparing the data of one country in the present, and the data of another based on a limited sample from the early 1980s, you're not on particular solid ground.
Also, as that wealth of nations book revealed, they used different ways of comparing different sets of IQ data.
Arrrgh!!"
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:37
Originally posted by Plutarch

whats abeed?

I'm sorry, I assumed you spoke Arabic. 

i do speak arabic!

i thought its an english word or something.

abeed means slaves.

Plutarch View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Plutarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 22:44

I wont trouble you any further, but I still contend that peer regulation keeps things tidy enough for us determine which data is sound and which is not.

I'm glad to see you are familiar with that book.  Where you quoted me, I meant that when the tests are given, not various ones being compiled.

Edited by Plutarch
There is nothing more unequal than the equal treatment of unequal people. --Thomas Jefferson
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2005 at 23:34

The average IQ of American Whites is 103, the average mean IQ of European populations is 101.  That is not significant at all as far as IQ goes. 

Tobodai you seem to pick time periods that are convenient to your arguement.  As I said, these diseases were not present in Africa for the vast majority of their history, and even with all of these diseases their demographics are still exploding. 

When in all of sub-Saharan African history and where in all that geographic area has there ever been a significant civilization of any kind that was has not been from the direct civilizing effect from an outside force?  Could this have to do with the sub-Saharan average IQ being 70?

You have left me confused.  Do you not believe in group difference?  If so, do you see no effect on the level of civilization that does or does not correspond with it? 

I beleive any genetic difference is product of land, not people.  Land always shapes people, even as peopel shape the land.  And diseases have always been there in Africa...less virulent int he past because population density was lower.  Desnity was lower because of disease.  A low population density cuts down settled civilzation.  This is most obvious in comparing Mesoamerica with North America pre columbus.  Disease was higher in Africa than other tropics because of apes.  Any disease evolved in apes can quite easily make the jump to people. 

And using your logic of no civilizations developing in total isolation. I can think of many areas outside of Africa where this happened.  In fact the only places a civilization really developed all on its own is Mesopotamia, China, and Mesoamerica.  All other places had outside stimulus including Europe.  If Ghana and Ethiopia and Zimbabwe are not totally indeginous (and Zimbabwe certainly is anyway as is pre Islamic Ghana) than neither is Rome (getting things from greece who got things from near East) or Britian (celts, Angles, Romans etc).  So that argument effectively deprives most places int eh worls of having a completely "indigenous civilization"

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Plutarch View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Plutarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 00:17

I beleive any genetic difference is product of land, not people.

Obviously,  I believe I dedicated one of my posts to explaining that. 

Blaming disease for African non-achievement is pretty weak.  Infact, sub-Saharan Africans are almost universally considered to be inferiors by all the peoples they come into contact with, be they Arabs, Europeans, Asians, etc.

I am not intent on showing blacks to be something primitive in particular in itself, but they happen to be a well known sample of a primitive race.

I would really appreciate it if you laid out your arguement.  What is it that you believe in regards to group differences and their social implications?

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 00:46

I have already laid out my argument.  People are affected by land, different land affects differently.  People are evolved to best within their won environment.  Some environments are poor and this therefore shows.  But also taking a person out of their adapted environmetn and suddenly transplanting them somewhere else (a la slavery int he Americas) is certainly not going to prioduce good results for those people, especially is something is done by force.  Voluntary migration offers much differnt and preferable psychological attitudes towards new lands.  Disease is I think the singel most important thing in human history on any continent.  It wields more power and influence than any combination of humans ever could.  It does this in different ways based ont eh place of course.  People who left Africa had the advantage of not only moving towards richer lands, but leaving behind diseases that could not leave thier climate zone.

Of course I dont think I can convince you.  The fact that you swallowed my theoretical argument about why Asians take tests versus Whites whole because you viewed it as defending whites wheras you wont accept even a modicum of my scientifically viable African arguments because they seem to be defending Africans.  That just shows that your bias is ideological.  And those cannot be changed by outside forces or argument in most cases.

-Alexander Hamilton
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:18
this seems to be headed to the same direction as the White Nationalism thread I opened 
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:18
Or to sum it up from another angle (that i was trying to make earlier), if these reseachers spend anywhere near as much time and effort investigating the causes for and explaining the differences in IQ results between say Finns and Poles (to use Plutach's figures from earlier), instead of collecting stuff that reinforces their simple mongoloid/negroid/cuacasoid way of seeing things; understanding of human intellegence (or merely the IQ part of it), its relationship to genetics and enviroment, and how to generaly make the most people people's potential will be greatly improved.

Arrrgh!!"
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:26
Originally posted by Cywr

Or to sum it up from another angle (that i was trying to make earlier), if these reseachers spend anywhere near as much time and effort investigating the causes for and explaining the differences in IQ results between say Finns and Poles (to use Plutach's figures from earlier), instead of collecting stuff that reinforces their simple mongoloid/negroid/cuacasoid way of seeing things; understanding of human intellegence (or merely the IQ part of it), its relationship to genetics and enviroment, and how to generaly make the most people people's potential will be greatly improved.

I also agree but some traits seem too hard to refute that they are inherited. I doubt ill see the NBA turn white again in my lifetime. Ok maybe if whites start eating more KFC.

Edited by vulkan02
Plutarch View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Plutarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:31

So you believe that environment is the determining factor for group differences without recognizing the effect their environments have on their evolution.  Therefore, given the African example you provided, and given todays social atmosphere, north American Blacks should be roughly equal to Whites in terms of academic and cultural achievement, which is clearely not the case.  I am curious as to how you would explain why sub-Saharan Blacks are almost universally considered to be inferiors by all the peoples they come into contact with with purely environmental or reasons having to do with disease.  Contrary to your belief, disease did in fact play a minor role in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European contact with the land, hence the Africans being fearful of the white man and the diseases he may bring. 

Of course I dont think I can convince you.  The fact that you swallowed my theoretical argument about why Asians take tests versus Whites whole because you viewed it as defending whites wheras you wont accept even a modicum of my scientifically viable African arguments because they seem to be defending Africans.  That just shows that your bias is ideological.  And those cannot be changed by outside forces or argument in most cases.

I didn't swallow anything, I merely agreed that a Confusion test taking tradition could influence IQ test scores.  I never advocated that environment isn't a factor, it is, along with genes.  These things go by percentages, as says in the Rushton article.  And I dont see how I would accept that as a means of "defending whites".  I don't think anyone of that idealogical mindset would give comparative White and east Asian IQ scores and brain sizes as an arguement in the first place.  Therefore I take considerable offense in being told I am idealogically biased.  On the contrary, I believe in freedom of enquiry and the honest and logical approach to science and history.

Edited by Plutarch
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 01:44
I also agree but some traits seem too hard to refute that they are inherited. I doubt ill see the NBA turn white again in my lifetime. Ok maybe if whites start eating more KFC.

Some traits are known and closely studied, for example, fast twitch muscle fibres, which give many (but by no means all) people of West African origin a biological edge in activities that require sudden bursts of energy, such as sprinting and jumping, but is useless for say long distance running.
But thats specific, and needs envirmoment (good quality trainers and equiptment etc, theres a reason why West African countries don't field many world class sprinters, they don't train them or encourage them). There is good understanding here of both the biological bit, and the necessary enviromental conditions to allow someone to excell, as well as its limitations (only some Africans have it).

But the simplistic sensational approach to this understanding, is to brand it a generic black thing, make it seem that therefore they can excell at any sport (ignoring the specifics), and invite us to assume that you can take a Kalihari Bushman and turn them into a World class NBA player, i mean, he's black right?

The former is good and testable, the later on the contary, requres that we do not test it, and that we ignore anything that might obfuscate the standard mantra, for if we do, we learn that those East African long distance runners make for crap sprinters, because of biological reasons that set them apart from other Africans.

Regarding basketball, its really down to playing style, the main reason that the US' record at the olympics is being challenge (and has long since been challenged at the world cup level, the Yugoslavs have won it more times than any other country), is down to teams and tactics, basketball is afterall, more than just jumping around.
Of course, if the US where to stop being so aloof and superior, and its players took the notion of international competition seriously, they would easily field a virtual unbeatable team, there are after all probably more professional basketball players in the US than in many of the other top basketball playing countries combined.
Arrrgh!!"
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 02:31
There is white players who excel and have excelled at the NBA but its all a matter of numbers. How many white Wilt Chamberlains (and no im not referring to his claimed "accomplishment" of sleeping with 20000 women in his book ), Charles Barkleys, Tony Pippens, Kobe Bryans, Iversons, TMAcs etc etc you know??
I also think also culture influences it a lot... for example many blacks in ghettos do nothing but play basketball all day long and that sure takes care of 50% of the effort to get into NBA. Add this to the mentality that they believe they have few options in life (become rap artist, basketball star or major drug dealer) then you have a powerful combination to make the player very determined. Jordan after all at one time didnt make his high school team.
Now regarding the poor performance of the US team at the Olympics here are some reasons.
One that you brought up is the style of play... European teams( like in football) emphasize group effort. A lot of the players like to play individually or don't play with others because they might not like them from NBA games.
 The other is that the US team never trains together... they only do so prior to the Olympics and they don't know who is going to show up until a month ahead or so!
Another is that many of the players don't care about playing without money, these are the same ones who are so proud of America that it gave them that money in the first place.
but the biggest reason is that they go to the Olympics thinking that they have nothing to prove and the world knows that they are the best at it.. period.
This is the same mentality that England had before they finally decided to give the unworthy World Cup tournament a try in 1950.... and they learned their lesson when they were defeaded by U.S. 1-0(they made a movie about this recently)... the punishment wouldn't end as they suffered a couple humiliating defeats to Ferenc Puskash's Hungary in the early 50's as well(6-3 at Wembley and 7-1 in Budapest). Only in '66 were they able to save some face and win it... playing at home.. and by a controversial goal.

Edited by vulkan02
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 03:04

Could this have to do with the sub-Saharan average IQ being 70?

Sorry, it is plainly impossible that the AVERAGE IQ of anywhere in the Planet is 70. There are chimps more inteligent than that! 70 is extremely low. Where did you get those figures from?

This is the typical curve of IQ quotients. Below 70 is retarded but as you can see not many people are in that strip (about 5%), as many as there are either gifted brains (over 130). Some sites say, as the International High IQ Society or Mensa claim that the figures are 75 and 125, I'm unsure.
IQ seems to be partly hereditary and partly acquired:

The role of genes and environment in determining IQ is reviewed in Plomin et al. (2001, 2003). The degree to which genetic variation contributes to observed variation in a trait is measured by a statistic called heritability. Heritability scores range from 0 to 1, and can be interpreted as the percentage of variation (e.g. in IQ) that is due to variation in genes. Twins studies and adoption studies are commonly used to determine the heritability of a trait. Until recently heritability was mostly studied in children. These studies yield an estimate of heritability of 0.5; that is, half of the variation in IQ among the children studied was due to variation in their genes. The remaining half was thus due to environmental variation and measurement error. A heritability of 0.5 implies that IQ is "substantially" heritable. (from Wikipedia)

It is as substantially hereditary as 50%, not more.

This same article does mention that mental retardation is greater among US blacks (it's also greater among males of any race). But if Black Americans have 16% of retarded (under 70 IQ) how come they have an averag of 70 IQ? That's plainly imposible. It could mean an average of 90 IQ but not 70.

This is surely one of the references you mention, a study by Reynolds that shows diferences bewteen US ethnical groups ignoring social class. It doesn't give a diference of 20 or 30 points but just of some 12-15 points between whites (slightly above 100) and blacks (slightly below 90), what can well be attributed mostly to cultural factors.

Considering that Hispanics are a good control (they belong to the Eurasian branch of humankind, like Caucasians and East Asians but have low income and low education) you can well say that Blacks don't score significatively below average of their Eurasian equivalents (Hispanics). Hispanics can't be considered a "racially" separated group as they are basically a mixture of Native Americans and Caucasians, that together with North Asians form one of the two major subranches of the Eurasian family.

Another relevant factor (that you ignored) is that high religiosity correlates with low IQs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religiousness_and_intelligence). It's thought that inteligent people simply tend to dismiss superstition and blind faith (at least this correlation seems logical). Both Hispanics and Blacks are outstandingly religious, and this may afect negatively their IQ performance (their intelectual developement).

Finally, it's been found that worldwide IQ is continuously growing, a factor that can't be attributed to genetics but only to culture. Culturally depressed communities are likely then to be backwards inside the overall cultural and intelectual developement of humankind.

Btw, where are those data on Sud-Saharan Africa's IQ. I can't find them anywhere.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 03:39
Btw, where are those data on Sud-Saharan Africa's IQ. I can't find them anywhere.

At least as far as one 'study' was concerned, they were basicly made up where no data was available, justified in the basis that they would probably be lower than that of Afro-Americans, considering that Africa is poor and less developed.
Which is why i think people need to me much more demanding of said studies instead of accepting it all at face value on the grounds that they have a certain skin tone.
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2005 at 11:24

So you believe that environment is the determining factor for group differences without recognizing the effect their environments have on their evolution.  Therefore, given the African example you provided, and given todays social atmosphere, north American Blacks should be roughly equal to Whites in terms of academic and cultural achievement, which is clearely not the case.  I am curious as to how you would explain why sub-Saharan Blacks are almost universally considered to be inferiors by all the peoples they come into contact with with purely environmental or reasons having to do with disease.  Contrary to your belief, disease did in fact play a minor role in sub-Saharan Africa prior to European contact with the land, hence the Africans being fearful of the white man and the diseases he may bring. 

I didn't swallow anything, I merely agreed that a Confusion test taking tradition could influence IQ test scores.  I never advocated that environment isn't a factor, it is, along with genes.  These things go by percentages, as says in the Rushton article.  And I dont see how I would accept that as a means of "defending whites".  I don't think anyone of that idealogical mindset would give comparative White and east Asian IQ scores and brain sizes as an arguement in the first place.  Therefore I take considerable offense in being told I am idealogically biased.  On the contrary, I believe in freedom of enquiry and the honest and logical approach to science and history.

On the surface your refute seems legitimate but it lacks a scientific perspective on two counts.  One is that evolution takes a long long time.  300 years of Africans living in America is not even a remotely noticable notch in time by an evolutionary standpoint.  Therefore of course you dont see Africans on the same level of whites and you wont in your lifetime.  Just as white settlers in the Congo were there for several hundred years and most are dead or gone now because disease resistence takes a logn time to build up. 

I also have to agree with vulkan here, cultural values of blacks in America are comepltely different because they were formulated under a completely different context. They dont value academics and yes I think thats a total mistake on their part but its there because they see academics as a tool of the opressor.

As for the disease, once again some evolutionary knowledge would help.  Most diseases in Africa now are diseases that evolved in the Congo basin.  Europeans indtroduced bubonic plague and some others but the most virulent ones are the ones native to Africa.  This is because these diseases not only are exchangabel with native apes but also because they have had more time to evolve in direct human contact than any other. That means they are better at overcomig defenses and faster at overcoming our immune systems adaptations to them.  It is the irony that makes Africans both the most disease ridden adn disease resistent peopel in the world.  Because these diseases evolved next to people they had to come up with strategies to survive.  This involved low population densities and mobile living.  Neither of which are conditions to make a great civilization. 

Hence yes, they had no really impressive civilizations away from the Sahara border and the Swahili coast, and it was directly because disease made them unable to via population dispersal and migration.

-Alexander Hamilton
Plutarch View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Plutarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 15:21

Their is a clear differences between African and American blacks, the latter are mulattos with the degree of white admixture varying.  When did I ever argue African evolution in America? 

And yes, how religious they are, especially with their reputation for following the ten commandments.  How anyone can construe them as being particularly religious is a matter of intentional ignorance. 

They dont value academics and yes I think thats a total mistake on their part but its there because they see academics as a tool of the opressor.

This is the usual excuse for non-achievement.  Could this possibly be because they do not exel in the field of academics?  No, this couldn't possibly be, blacks are fully capable of being on the same cultural and achievement level as that of the people who set up these opressing institutions.  They just simply choose not to. 

As for the disease, once again some evolutionary knowledge would help.  Most diseases in Africa now are diseases that evolved in the Congo basin.  Europeans indtroduced bubonic plague and some others but the most virulent ones are the ones native to Africa.  This is because these diseases not only are exchangabel with native apes but also because they have had more time to evolve in direct human contact than any other. That means they are better at overcomig defenses and faster at overcoming our immune systems adaptations to them.  It is the irony that makes Africans both the most disease ridden adn disease resistent peopel in the world.  Because these diseases evolved next to people they had to come up with strategies to survive.  This involved low population densities and mobile living.  Neither of which are conditions to make a great civilization. 

Hence yes, they had no really impressive civilizations away from the Sahara border and the Swahili coast, and it was directly because disease made them unable to via population dispersal and migration.

I am scientifically lacking?  Perhaps you can explain to me why sub-saharan Africans were considered primitives and inferior by the Egyptians and latter Arabs?  I don't recall them as being recorded to be particularly disease ridden, given the Nubians for example. 

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 17:13

Their is a clear differences between African and American blacks, the latter are mulattos with the degree of white admixture varying.  When did I ever argue African evolution in America?

How do you know that they have white mixing? The blacks in America are just about the same as African blacks.

And yes, how religious they are, especially with their reputation for following the ten commandments.  How anyone can construe them as being particularly religious is a matter of intentional ignorance.

A lot of white people are the same, if not more religious than the blacks
but of course, who don't really follow what they preach.

They dont value academics and yes I think thats a total mistake on their part but its there because they see academics as a tool of the opressor.

This is the usual excuse for non-achievement.  Could this possibly be because they do not exel in the field of academics?  No, this couldn't possibly be, blacks are fully capable of being on the same cultural and achievement level as that of the people who set up these opressing institutions.  They just simply choose not to.

They did not choose to... if they did they wouldn't be in America in the first place.

I am scientifically lacking?  Perhaps you can explain to me why sub-saharan Africans were considered primitives and inferior by the Egyptians and latter Arabs?  I don't recall them as being recorded to be particularly disease ridden, given the Nubians for example. 

Are we right then if for example we consider the Mexicans as inferior? Don't jump into conclusions based on what other races considered each other because you are doing the same. Economic development is suggested is influenced by geography, topology, culture and many other reasons.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2005 at 20:12

Im sorry but your further showing the lack of scientific knowledge here.  Nubians dont live anywhere near the disease aflicted areas.  Basically the wastes of the Sahara which could not support a civilization and the Ethiopian highlands which did support a civilization.  Disease affects everything from northern Nigeria down pretty much, but these are where most peopel live.  Nubia was of course far north of this.  And Nubia was not a great civilization because that stretch of the Nile, frankly, is crap with tillable soil extending about 5 feet from the river.

-Alexander Hamilton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>