Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore- should Turkey join the EU???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>
Author
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More- should Turkey join the EU???
    Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 00:16

Beylerbeyi i did misunderstand you

But does that reality (imposed from our point of view) mean that the sensativities/attachements are less real? or that the current approach good enough? probably not.

Strategos we are talking about the use of the hagia sphia; it was a mosque up until last century not the name of the city This was a simple example of an approach on where the 2 cultures overlap somehow. I am stating a pragmatic pluralist approach i percive lacking in the turk govn and that this will be used agianst them.

Edited by Leonidas
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 11:16
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

Phallanx,

Yes, you are right. Turkey is responsible for Greece's problems with immigrants and minorities, like problems in any other field. And what's more, those problems don't exist anyway, as you have proven.

Sarcasm... nice..

Well it is a fact (I can present more interesting little articles pertaining immigrants smuggled in Hellas by Turks) that a 90% (if not more) of the immigrants entering Hellas arrive from our certain eastern neighbour..

As I said since numbers talk... 13% can you present a single country that has a similar number, what about Turkey why not give us the numbers there ???

But as usual, when cornered most Turkish members try to turn the discussion around and point the finger on Hellas..  I'm actually fed up with the continuous rediculous comparison, be it tax, education, tourists.... etc..
Is this what you people dream of, being better than Hellas ???

The topic is about Turkey, like it or not,  that is who we should be discussing, if you want to play your game of putting the blaim on someone else, open a relative topic...

That research was conducted in Diyarbakir and Kurdish villages nearby, a backward area Turkey. We cannot generalise the results for all of Turkey.

Hmmm, so I guess the fact that this same belief is supported by actions as seen in Germany, (read the report by Del Spiegel) means nothing either, since we can't generalize based on that unjustified murder.. commited by backward minded Turkish citizens that grew up and got their education in Germany...
Maybe more households than you think, do believe and promote this action and that is how the (obviously not backward minded) Turkish brothers raised and educated in Germany decided to kill their sister..
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 11:44
Originally posted by strategos

Perhaps You misunderstood, friend.

After the Fall of Constantinople to the invading Turks, in 1453, Constantinople became part of the Ottoman Empire and soon, its capital. Before the conquest, Turks called the city İstanbul, but officially used the name Qusţanţaniyyeh (قسطنطنيه, which means "City of Constantine" in Arabic. Only on March 28, 1930, was the city officially renamed İstanbul.

Both dates could probably be taken, but you cannot discredit the 1930 date, because it Is officially when it went on the map and outside of Turkey as "Istanbul"

We had a hundred different names for Istanbul here. Carigrad was the most common, but Bosnian aristocracy always referred to the city as Stambol - as far back as we can go.

One of the oldest songs known to have originated in Bosnia and still existing today is U Stambolu na Bosforu (In Istanbul on the Bosphorus).

http://media.putfile.com/U_Stambolu_na_Bosforu

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 13:14
You want the Turk?
You can't handle the Turk!!
Arrrgh!!"
Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 17:40
Originally posted by Leonidas

....Turkey like it or not is somehow the custodian to some very important buildings and places held in the Orthodox mind. .......

Well put!

....Ayasofya is being restored. And it is not being mothballed, it is a museum, open to everyone. And tourists are coming anyway. If there is a battle concerning Ayasofya being a symbol in Turkey, it is between the islamists and the secularists. There is no chance in hell of it turning into an Orthodox church again. As I wrote, don't hold your breath.

I agree that Turkey's treatment of religious minorities leaves a lot to be desired.....

I am not holding my breath either, but it would be a huge gesture if they did.  Mind you I am looking at this from the outside (as I am neither Greek or Turkish, Christian or Muslim), so I don't see why in a city (which I visited last year) where there there are a multitude of Mosques (and several big ones at that), that one can't be reverted back.  Yes, there are tourists now, but I know that if it were the seat of the Patriarchate again, those tourist/pilgrim numbers would increase 10 fold. 

As for the claim of their not being many Christians left in the city, it's proportion was about 30-35% 100 years ago, and I have read many accounts of Turkish politicians stating after the abolishment of the Ottoman Sultanate that something to the effect of 'there is no place for Greeks within secular Turkey' (I am paraphrasing here, but I can look up the exact quote.

It would have been interesting if Constantinople/Istanbul would have developed different religious "Quaters", not unlike what Jerusalem has.

Anyways, I am for Turkey's membership in he EU, I think that in the long run it will bring more benefit that harm to all involved.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 21:04

Phallanx,

Kita, mate, it's the third post now, but you haven't got it yet, so I'll write it clearly once more. I am not taking part in your so-called 'discussion'. And I am sure as hell not saying that Turkey is better than Greece. I am simply not interested in bashing Greece or Greeks. It is you who keeps comparing Greece to Turkey, not me. If our subject is Turkey starting accession talks to EU membership, we should compare Turkey to Romania and Bulgaria in the 90s and Greece in the 70s.

When I mention Greece I do it to expose your hipocricy- that you obviously don't care about any human rights. Or to show that even the members of the EU have problems after 25 years, so it is not fair to ask Turkey to be better than Greece.

Anyway, I would like to engage in a dialogue with Greeks, but I am totally inconvinced that you are interested in dialogue. I replied to you in the first place because you are reading news on Turkey all the time, looking for bits of information to bash Turks, and you post them in a distorted way. As in the 'Del Spiegel' case. I don't know of that magazine, but I am actually subscribed to 'Der Spiegel' and I know the Turks in Germany far better than you, don't you worry. 

Strategos,

What's your point? I personally don't mind changing official name of Istanbul to Kostantiniyye, it sounds cooler. Let's change the unpronouncable name of Thessaloniki to Selanik also, though, because it was the official name until recently.

In other words, I am from Istanbul, and you probably haven't even seen the place. Wake up and smell the Turkish coffee, mate, Istanbul is a Turkish city and we call it whatever we want. You want to call it Kostantiniyye or Miklagard or whatever you like, fine, do it, our city has many names. But don't ever dare to lecture me on what to call my city.

To Greeks in general,

I have seen people from all nations, and I think Greeks are the most nationalistic of them all. I actually have a 'theory' about this. I paste from what I wrote in another thread:

'I think the problem arises from the fact that there used to be two cultural areas in Europe, Latin and Greek. But the Greek cultural sphere was destroyed by the Muslims and the Latins. Later, when Latins industrialised, they pushed the Turks out of Greek culture sphere. But the Greek culture couldn't recover. It used to be an equal of Muslims or Latins. Western Europeans (i.e. Latins) also created a myth, in their height of power and arrogance, called the 'Western Civilisation' into which they incorporated the ancient Greeks but conveniently excluded the height of Greek achievement, the Byzantine Empire. When the Greeks were freed from the Turkish yoke (by the Westerners), they bought into this story. Which is not surprising, since the West got so strong, everyone wants a piece of it, even the Turks and Iranians as we see.'

Tell me what to think about it.

Jazz,

Ayasofya is not 'just one mosque', it is important for Muslims as well. And tourism is not that important. I prefer Ayasofya as a museum- not a mosque, not a church, a museum. And it won't be 'a big gesture', to make it a church because the Muslims in Turkey and around the world won't like that. As you wrote Turkey is to custodian to the building, and it should be restored and kept as a mankind heritage site, a museum, open for all.  

Also, nobody has asked the Balkan states to reconvert the Ottoman mosques back to join the EU. If they pressure Turkey for this Turkish government will tell them to fornicate off and the countries that really count (i.e. Westerners) will back Turkey. And everyone in Turkey from communist to fascist will agree with that decision too. Of course, this will never come up, unless you count some over-excited Greek or Romanian MPs as serious international pressure.

It would have been interesting if Constantinople/Istanbul would have developed different religious "Quaters", not unlike what Jerusalem has.

So what's your point? Should we import Greeks to make the city more interesting for tourists? Istanbul is a city, man, not Disneyf**kingland on the Bosphorus. Besides, I am not so sure that I'd like to turn Istanbul into Jerusalem, with Greek ghettos and suicide bombers and all that.

Anyways, I am for Turkey's membership in he EU, I think that in the long run it will bring more benefit that harm to all involved.

I am actually opposed to Turkey joining the EU. I am a communist, and I think that we already have too much neoliberalist imperialism in Turkey. But I think EU pressure on Turkey in some political matters is a positive force, so I support it.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 23:12

Well what you call bashing, I call informing all those that lack the info..
Interestingly enough, you are the third Turk in the last month, that 'attacks' me by claiming that I distort news.. Baracuda and Alpasan were proven wrong, you... I won't get into it.. at least baracuda was man enough to delete his post and accept his acusations were uncalled for..

So you allegedly are subscribed to 'Der Spiegel' (who cares about they typo before) and claim to know the Turks of Germany better..
Then why no info about "The Whore lived like a German" does it at least ring any bells???

The way I see it, this isn't simply a couple of uneducated peasants, but a general mentality that does exist and is passed down from father to son.. otherwise the honor killings would neither be supported nor seen in practice and of course they would be a clear law against them. But unfortunately that isn't the case...

Pinar Ilkkaracan in an interview to Women for Women's Human Rights clearly states :

"During the campaign, we experienced the highest resistance by the parliament against our demands around the issues of honor crimes, virginity testing and sexual orientation.
Although an amendment was made to include a sentence .in the justification of the article on "Unjust Provocation," that this article cannot be applied to grant reductions to honor killing perpetrators, our demand to define honor killings as "aggravated homicide" was only partially accepted. Instead of "honor killings," "killings in the name of customary law" have been defined as aggravated homicide, which does not encompass all honor killings. Our impression is that they have intentionally tried to leave a door open to grant sentence reductions to perpetrators of honor killings."

Anyway, there has been no comparison posted by me nor was it ever implied. It is always one of you, that consider my posts bashing and as a reaction begin the comparison with Hellas..
You mention Bulgaria and Romania, seems that you missed the previous topic (now locked) where I presented economic data in comparison to Turkey's but never got a responce to my post..
When I presented data pertaining to the influence of the discussion talks on Turkey's market, the answer I got was "You're a freak"... so sorry but neither you nor anyone else can claim I've never tried the comparison or a desent discussion, it was the rest of the posters that weren't interested so I turned to posts much easily understood.. ..
To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 07:06

Originally posted by Phallanx

So you allegedly are subscribed to 'Der Spiegel' (who cares about they typo before) and claim to know the Turks of Germany better..
Then why no info about "The Whore lived like a German" does it at least ring any bells???

The way I see it, this isn't simply a couple of uneducated peasants, but a general mentality that does exist and is passed down from father to son..

The overwhelming majority of the immigrant Turkish workers in Germany were peasants who had never seen a big city in Turkey before. They directly went to Germany and as a result of the cultural shock they tend to preserve their own culture and they became more and more conservatist. They are much more conservatist than the avarage Turk in Turkey. This is a fact that shapes the  image of "the Turk" in Europe. For example, the USA accepts only highly educated white collar immigrants from Turkey so the image of "the Turk" is very different from the European vision...

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 10:07
Phallanx, stating facts is fine but what are you really trying to say? is honorkilling a reason that they shouldnt be in the eu?

Beylerbeyi, Your theory is a nice critique of the west, and i agree that there is national/cultural myth building, but it is everywhere including all sides within this debate.

"
But the Greek cultural sphere was destroyed by the Muslims and the Latins. Later, when Latins industrialised, they pushed the Turks out of Greek culture sphere"
 The greek cultural was almost destroyed by the latins and turks, it has survived maybe not completely intact and nowhere as wide spread. The turks werent pushed out of the greek sphere  they replaced/took it or just denied it. (which you said was already destroyed) The existance of greece that doesnt accept turkish domination in any form: (aegean, patriach/ church matters and cyprus) is what some turks cannot come to terms with.

" When the Greeks were freed from the Turkish yoke (by the Westerners)"
They were helped by the west and russia, if i remember right they started to fight turkish domination before they thought anyone could help them and faced certain death doing it.

Here is my view:
Turkey inherited the leftovers of the ottoman empire and did so under attack from the west (1920's inc Greece). First thing ive seen is a seige mentality, a fortress turkey that defends everything including the past. Example: any suggestion of hellenism in turkey may it be the status of the patriach, the churchs, is treated like a attack on turkey. Opportunites are seen as threats, "greek propaganda" is seen as splitting turkey. The paranoia is still in the pysche. (And i will say some greeks in here seem to prmote this reaction further with point scoring posts)

Mix this with some ottoman nolstagia, a dominating military with its own vested interests and self serving views and you got a country that is being lead in some very narrow and outdated ways. Black and white , might is right. Militarism/ nationalism are very strong.

Greece and turkey: The mismatch is that the old master-servant relationship that use to exist is gone but nothing has replaced it. Neither has forgotton it, while one is proving it aint a servant and one is still stuck in thinkin its a master.

Beylerbeyi,
do you think im a nationalist?

Approach things differently than now/before. Embrace the goodwill the greek govn is giving to you now (opportunty not threat)with some of your own.

Edited by Leonidas
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 10:53
Well Leonida, honorkillings are just the tip of the iceberg..

I'm actually pointing out a general mentality that is stuck upon a past era, a mentality that has lead to among other things to the emense nationalism seen in Turkey. A nationalism that compared to Europe was developed in a much later stage and this had as a result the growing of the need to "catch up", to prove themselves but not because they had to but because they strongly felt the need which was lead by a inferiority complex.

A need that actually cultivated this great inferiority complex. Of course this wasn't passed upon the people for no reason, the strict mlitary ruled goverments have passed the notion of being the 'victims' for their own purpose.. This notion became even stronger by adding the general resentment and loath Europe felt and openly showed towards the Turks throughout history..

The Christian minorities were (and still are) viewed as one of the primary factors responsible for the decline and end of the Ottoman Empire. The Christians were, for this reason stigmatized as enemies. A mentality that still exists and prevails in their everyday life as seen in statements made by their Goverment representatives (The EU is a Christian Club... Erdogan)

The former powerfull subjects of the Ottoman empire could not and can not accept being equal nor in a worse economic position than  the infidels..

Anyway...enough babbling.. it is this exact mentality, the notion of past glories that harbours and for some reason justifies all those little but highly significant issues, such as honor killings, persecution of minorities, maltreatment of women, expansive policy towards their neighbors....etc

The overwhelming majority of the immigrant Turkish workers in Germany were peasants who had never seen a big city in Turkey before. They directly went to Germany and as a result of the cultural shock they tend to preserve their own culture and they became more and more conservatist. They are much more conservatist than the avarage Turk in Turkey. This is a fact that shapes the  image of "the Turk" in Europe. For example, the USA accepts only highly educated white collar immigrants from Turkey so the image of "the Turk" is very different from the European vision...

While I can agree that the majority was the simple folk or peasants if you prefer. This does not justify the actions of 2nd or 3rd generation Turks in Germany, US or where ever else, just as it wouldn't justify the so called 'vendeta' (very similar if not a form of honor killings) among 2nd or 3rd generation Hellines of the diaspora ..or whatever other backward custom any other people may have..
I believe all immigrant try to preserve their culture and customs be they Hellinic, Turkish...etc. but..... aren't such customs strictly backward and would have been/should have been, rejected by the unlike their parents educated children, instead of preserved, adopted an put in use ?

Edited by Phallanx
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by Phalanx

Anyway...enough babbling.. it is this exact mentality, the notion of past glories that harbours and for some reason justifies all those little but highly significant issues, such as honor killings, persecution of minorities, maltreatment of women, expansive policy towards their neighbors....etc

I knew some of it sounded familiar. It took me a while to find the quote, but at the end I was successful on the Amnesty International website:

Ill-treatment of migrants by border guards and by police officers in urban centres was reported. Conditions of detention for undocumented immigrants and asylum-seekers were poor. Trials relating to police ill-treatment of women, minorities and foreign nationals took place. Concerns were raised about conditions of detention in K. prison. Discriminatory treatment of Roma by the authorities continued. Conscientious objectors continued to face the threat of imprisonment

Source: Amnesty International

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 12:12
Hmmm, interesting..

but...

minority = a group of people who differ racially or politically from a larger group of which it is a part

immigrant =
a person who leaves one country to settle permanently in another (in this case illegal..)

It's interestnig to note that the Amnesty International makes use of the death penalty as an argument to prove that Hellas is breaking some Human rights laws.. but conveniently neglects to mention that the last prisoner to be executed was J. Lumperis in Corfu, trialed for killining his parents, wife, brother and 2 underaged children ( 8-5) with an axe.. this event took place in 1972 which means over 30yrs ago...

Let's compare (since it's the new thing in here) to some other EU countries...

Norway and Luxemburg abolished it in 1979

France abolished it in 1981

Germany kept the death penalty until 1987...

Italy
abolished it in 1994

Everyone does get on the right path eventually..
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Barış

Are there any Turks who do not support the EU membership?

I am not supporting........

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 12:57

Leonidas,

I don't think you are a nationalist. But I am yet to see a Greek who's not in love with his/her state.

Ok, I'll clear what I wrote a bit.

Turks have invaded most of the Greek cultural sphere, which consisted of the Byzantine Empire and the lands with Orthodox religion. In this sphere, everyone looked at Greeks as the source of civilisation and considered them the main power. And the Greeks themselves had no doubt whatsoever that they were different than (and superior to), the 'West' (Latins) or to Islam.

But Latins and Muslims destroyed that state of affairs for ever. And when the Turks were forced out of (half of) that area, it left a cultural vacuum, which was not filled by a revival of Byzantine power and Greek culture, but by small states dominated by Western culture.

Today we cannot speak of a Greek culture sphere or Greek leadership in Europe, there is only the 'European' sphere, post-Christian Latin, i.e. Western. That's why I say that it was destroyed. Today, all states in Europe consider themselves to be a part of this with the exception of Russia and its satellites, but even they are not Greek anymore, they are more like a separate post-communist sphere now. Russia tried to fill the gap left by Byzantium for a while, and resisted the West, but the communist rule transformed their role and culture to a great extent. Communism itself is nothing but a Western counter-culture.

They were helped by the west and russia, if i remember right they started to fight turkish domination before they thought anyone could help them and faced certain death doing it.

I am not trying to belittle the efforts of the Greeks fighting for their independence. But remember that 'nationalism' itself is a Western idea, which shows the Western domination of the Greek cultural life. As Western ideals started to spread around the Greeks, there were two factions, one asking for cooperation with the Turks against the West and re-institution of the Byzantine Empire by culturally taking over the Ottoman Empire from inside. It makes some sense when one considers that Greeks were richest group in the Empire because they dominated the sea trade. In the 18th century, Phanariots and Greeks merchants were Hellenising Romanians and others, bringing about the hope of a Byzantine cultural revival. Today it seems strange for us that the Greek rebellion in 1820 also took place in Istanbul, but it signifies this usually ignored trend. 

But there was another group, which was western influenced and had asked for a independent Greek nation state. The second movement became dominant, and Greeks abandoned the dreams of a Byzantine revival in return for a ethnic Greek nation state.

In any case, it was impossible for Greeks to overthrow the Turkish yoke without Western ideas, military, economic and diplomatic help- when they did, and the way they did. Maybe later, but not the way it happened in our history. It was no coincidence that Greece had a German king after independence. Just imagine what a Byzantine would think of a German Emperor...

As to your analysis of Turkey,

I agree with you in most things. You are right about the siege mentality and paranoid reactions, but should see that this in no way restricted to Turkey. Everyone in the Balkans have it to some degree. Think about the fuss Greece makes over what to call Macedonia or its minorities. Or look at the Yugoslavs. Or look at Bulgaria, who tried to oppress Turkish culture even under Communism... Examples abound. I think it is because these countries have adopted nationalism from the west, and not developed it intrinsically.

One thing you are wrong about is Ottoman nostalgia. Turkish Republic is hostile to the Ottoman state. Because Ottomans were Muslim, cosmopolitan, ethnically diverse empire. Ottoman Empire is the anti-thesis of the secularist, ethno-nationalist Turkish Republic. You'll never be able to predict Turkey if you think it wants to revert to Ottoman ways.

Most ironic thing about all this is Europeans saying Turkey is not european because it is too nationalistic. That's very funny. Tell me something more european than nationalism?

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 14:30

Phallanx you do not have enough knowledge about Turkish society, culture and history. But you are picking up some "information" from Greek nationalist circles.

A nationalism that compared to Europe was developed in a much later stage and this had as a result the growing of the need to "catch up", to prove themselves but not because they had to but because they strongly felt the need which was lead by a inferiority complex.

Turks do not have an inferiority complex that leads an ultra-nationalism.. Turkey and Turks are as nationalist as evry other nations. This is very simple.

On the other hands Greeks are much nationalist that Turks which is in fact a result of inferiority complex. Since many Greeks assume Turk/Greek relations in Ottoman Empire as master/servant relation. In addition to this mixed with western propaganda during Greek independence struggle and dream of "those glorious days of Hellenism" make you sick.

This is the reason of you inferiority complex but you perceive others as yourself.

The Christian minorities were (and still are) viewed as one of the primary factors responsible for the decline and end of the Ottoman Empire. The Christians were, for this reason stigmatized as enemies. A mentality that still exists and prevails in their everyday life as seen in statements made by their Goverment representatives (The EU is a Christian Club... Erdogan)

This is completely wrong. Ottoman Empire is seen as an outdated establishment in Turkey now. I have never seen in any book including school books that Ottoman E. has ended because of Christian minorities.

We are clever and intellectual enough to understand our history and mistakes that we made.

The real shock about Christian minorities in Turkey happened after I WW when these minorities have cooperated with invading forces. Large celebrations for foreign armies have caused huge hate inside Turks. But this hate was related with minorities of Ottoman Empires. Turks have never feel hatred towards British, French, Italians or Russians and they hate because they are Christians. They were simply our enemies in I WW. But Germans, Austrians and Bulgars were our allies in the war. The cooperation of other minorities such as Muslim Arabs with British and French armies against Ottomans had also the same feelings.....

You are wrong. There are not  negative feelings towards Christians in general in Turkey. But we simply do not want to live with Christians of Turkey anymore and by an international treaty ratified by Greece there were a population exchange between Turkey and Greece in 1924. Everybody went their houses.

The former powerfull subjects of the Ottoman empire could not and can not accept being equal nor in a worse economic position than  the infidels..

What are you talking about?

This is completely nonsense.

Greece should first make some reforms on religous side. Church is too powerful and influential in politics in Greece. Greece is not a secular state. This is a very negative image for Greece as if it is a medieval state rather than EU country. But European standards are usually double. They are neglecting them.....

Jazz View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 17:15
Hey Beylerbeyi.

As I mentioned, I am not holding my breath either.  When I was there last year, any visitor to the Haiga Sophia and the Orthodox Patriarchate had to pass through metal detectors in order to get in - that statement is a very sad indicator of the current situation there since there is a real danger that someone will want to do harm to those 2 buildings.  From this alone one can easily ascertain that any movement of returing the Aya Sophia to Orthodox Christendom will meet with some sort of radical dissaproval.

As for the overall idea of actually returing it, I am just making an impartial observation (as I mention, I am niether Muslim or Christain) on the status of the Aya Sophia.  Simple logic would dictate that since the building was made as THE spiritual center center for Orthodox Christendom, and the CITY itself is a Holy City in Orthodox eyes, whereas for Islam there is Mecca and the Kabba, the Aya Sophia cannot mean as much to Muslims as it does to the Orthodox Christians.  You mention that the Turks hold Aya Sofya in special standing (ie. "it is not just a mosque")- can you please elaborate on this?  I would like to know more about this current battle between secularists and Islamicists on re-instituting the Aya Sophia as a mosque.

As for my comment on the former ethnic pluarality of the Constantinople (until the end of the First World War), I simply find it too bad that that status could not continue.  The city was the Holy city for Greeks, Serbs, Bulgarians, and Armenians (housing their respective Patriarchates) and become so for Islam as well.  A 1914 census had a city population of 1.02 million split this way:  49% Muslim, 22% Orthodox (including Greeks, Bulgarians and Serbs), 25% Armenian, and 4% Jewish (source:  "Constantinople, the City of the World's desire, 1453-1924, by Philip Mansel).  It is too bad that this could not have continued to this day, it would have enhanced the current city further.

....I personally don't mind changing official name of Istanbul to Kostantiniyye, it sounds cooler....

Just curious, how would talk of such a change be received in Turkey?
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2005 at 17:34
Just because the name "Constantinopolis" is associated with Greek irredentism in the last century it will be rejected with anger... Before it wouldn't mind... 

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 05:27
Originally posted by phalanx

Germany kept the death penalty until 1987...

It's off topic, but just to clarify:

The Federal Republic of Germany( West) abolished the death penalty in 1949, the German Democratic Republic (East)in 1987.

[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 06:12
Beylerbeyi, I understand you now and yes French revolution inspired  liberty was a point of refernce for the early leaders, more so for its articulation of how the populations already felt. The greeks in the mountains and in country never fully accepted turkish doimnation so such an ideal is easily understood by them. Domination/repression that was almost followed to what they believe was certain annihilation,  through a ottoman military victory. Such events can traumatise the peoples psyche and influnce their instinctive reactions and emotions. This is a real sensativity ignored or just not understood by the turkish leaders who besides its own seige mentality would regard it as no more troublesome Greek noise/propoganda. hence why i call for a different approach

"
One thing you are wrong about is Ottoman nostalgia" maybe I am, your opinion would be better informed, and i can see it is the opposite to the modern state.
 I just get this impression from sources within the turkish media and the behavoiur from the Turkish military. Issues over cyprus and the aegean seem to be a military driven issues and use of old fashion gun boat policy (which i associate with a emperialist mentality) which, I dont think  Erdogan himself supports. I think this helps drive the defense bugets higher than they should be, and maintians the this need of a strong military within turkish society (Greece puts theirs back in the barracks, where they belong, in the 70's and are better off for it).

Nationalism (with militarism)  was big issue in Europe around the two world wars and i think most europeans despit this overall move to the right within its politics, would never go down that nationalist +militarism path again. Yes it has a european origin, but it isnt the general european way anymore. They know how bad it can all end up better than most. Its the USA and some of these new powers (china), that havent learnt the dangers of such views and combinations, that would be (or are becoming) better examples of nationalism + militarism.

This hasnt been seprated just yet in turkey and that is a main point in difference, moves are on their way to atleast curb the military role in politics (this is a major win turks can gain through the EU talks). I rather see a pragmatic civilain being in complete control, a defense budget set by civilains not by the military. Issues like the aegean and cyprus would be allot easier to approach under such a climate, and i think you will see ,all of a sudden, progress.

"But I am yet to see a Greek who's not in love with his/her state. "
I dont mix up my culture identiy with the "state", i love some parts of greece (people and the land) and some parts are foriegn (the way it works)..I grew up within the pluralism and isolation of australia,as a minority (with the put downs and all) and have a slightly differnt view of what works and what doesnt.

Edited by Leonidas
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2005 at 08:13
phallanx, my own relations with turks over here, is not reflective of what you say. With an exception to a overzealous older brother....my relations have been positive.

They are dont have a inferiorty complex, actually they are very proud , just not very understanding to their neighbours pride (if anything then, it can be percieved as the opposite).

You dont want the EU talks (and maybe membership) and the good this can give? What is your alternative?

It is benificial to both sides, honestly if it wasnt benificial  to greece my interest wouldnt be so high. The greek leaders can understand that the staus quo is bad, draining to maintain and no wonder, wants this to be the start of something different (even if the population doesnt see it- including you).  What ive been saying is that i want the turkish govn to do the same (even if the population doesnt see it), and that otherwise it will lose allot more than it saves.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 17>