Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMore- should Turkey join the EU???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>
Author
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: More- should Turkey join the EU???
    Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 08:46

1) Yes 12 miles is the maximum according to the LOS decided in 1982 and yes Turkey can also use this very law as Turkey already has since 1964 on it's Mediterranian and Black Sea borders..

2) No that is actually incorrect, passage can be accomplished either around all its Aegean shores by simply passing through as you mention our waters via the right of innocent passage or simply by it's own 12 miles of territorial sea..

The major problem according to your goverment's arguments is that while we now 'control' some 46% of the Aegean, after applying our right of 12 miles we will 'control some 75%. But isn't it simple logic that a country with islands in the Aegean should control its waters..
Here are 2 maps I picked of a Turkish site some time ago (the link doesn't work any more)

I honestly see no problem unless there is some reason Turkey must be allowed to do any of the above mentioned:

(a) any threat or use of force against the sovereignty, territorial integrity or political independence of the coastal State, or in any other manner in violation of the principles of international law embodied in the Charter of the United Nations;
(b) any exercise or practice with weapons of any kind;
(c) any act aimed at collecting information to the prejudice of the
defence or security of the coastal State;
(d) any act of propaganda aimed at affecting the defence or security
of the coastal State;
(e) the launching, landing or taking on board of any aircraft;
(f) the launching, landing or taking on board of any military
device;
(g) the loading or unloading of any commodity, currency or person
contrary to the customs, fiscal, immigration or sanitary laws and
regulations of the coastal State;
(h) any act of wilful and serious pollution contrary to this
Convention;

(j) the carrying out of research or survey activities;
(k) any act aimed at interfering with any systems of communication
or any other facilities or installations of the coastal State;
(l) any other activity not having a direct bearing on passage.

I deleted (I) that mentioned 'fishing' simply because based on LOS does not apply in the Aegean issue..

It is interesting to note, that while untill just 11 months ago Syria had not 12 but 36 whole MILES of territorial waters, Turkey had never once complained nor ever made threats of war.. it wasn't untill then that Syria reduced it;s ter. waters to 12 miles

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 09:47

As far as I know one of the claims is that the Agean Sea isn't an open sea and it should be seen as a half-closed sea and, unlike the Meditteranean and Black Sea it is very narrow.

Another claim is that the islands cannot have continental shelfs unlike the mainlands and it is claimed that according to the international law, an island that is closer to a foreign mainland country should be content with only territorial sea, not the continental shelf. It is said that some international treaties approve this, like the Treaty between Papua New Guinea and Australia on 18/12/1978.  Also Turkey claims that the Greek islands close to Anatolia are the continental continuation of Anatolia, so claims that they should not have their own continental shelves depending on the 85th paragraph of the International Court of Justice's decision of 1969 on the North Sea Continental Shelf cases.

Also Turkey claims that the importance of the Aegean Sea on the issues ofsecurity, natural resources and transportation routes and the half-closed character of the Aeegean Sea should be taken into consideration and referes to 1969 North Sea, 1982 Tunus-Libya, 1974 USA-Canada, 1977 Britain-France cases. 

I've read these today and although I admit that "casus belli" is a harsh response, I think the issue is more complicated than "Turkey wants what belongs to Greece"

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 11:03
Apparently, there's a difference of opinions between the two countries. In such cases, people go to court. Greece has already invited Turkey to take the matter to Hague and has reiterated it's commitment to accept the court's ruling whatever it may be. Turkey refuses to do the same. I leave the conclusions to the readers...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 11:07
Well the exact definition of Semi-Enclosed sea is :

Article122

Definition

For the purposes of this Convention, "enclosed or semi-enclosed sea" means a gulf, basin or sea surrounded by two or more States and connected to another sea or the ocean by a narrow outlet or consisting entirely or primarily of the territorial seas and exclusive economic zones of two or more coastal States.
-------------

While the Aegean is surrounded by 2 states and is connected to another sea, by no means can we consider the connection a 'narrow outlet' nor does it comprise the exclusive economic zone of Turkey..

On continental shelfs and islands

Again the LOS is quite clear :

Article 46

Use of terms

For the purposes of this Convention:

(a) "archipelagic State" means a State constituted wholly by one or more archipelagos and may include other islands;

(b) "archipelago" means a group of islands, including parts of islands, interconnecting waters and other natural features which are so closely interrelated that such islands, waters and other natural features form an intrinsic geographical, economic and political entity, or which historically have been regarded as such.

So we find that 'archipelagos' (a group of islands) are considered a state, but what does the state have according to LOS ?

I'm sure you won't argue that the approx. 2000 islands of the Aegean are totally independent and not closely interrelated...

Article76

Definition of the continental shelf

1. The continental shelf of a coastal State comprises the seabed and subsoil of the submarine areas that extend beyond its territorial sea throughout the natural prolongation of its land territory to the outer edge of the continental margin, or to a distance of 200 nautical miles from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured where the outer edge of the continental margin does not extend up to that distance.

If we were to read 1 more article we see :

Article121

Regime of islands

1. An island is a naturally formed area of land, surrounded by water, which is above water at high tide.

2. Except as provided for in paragraph 3, the territorial sea, the contiguous zone, the exclusive economic zone and the continental shelf of an island are determined in accordance with the provisions of this Convention applicable to other land territory.

3. Rocks which cannot sustain human habitation or economic life of their own shall have no exclusive economic zone or continental shelf.
-----------------

So in conclusion, the islands do have their own continental shelf and the 'rocks' see Imia are of no threat for they neither have a continental shelf nor is the 12 mile law aplicable to them..

To the gods we mortals are all ignorant.Those old traditions from our ancestors, the ones we've had as long as time itself, no argument will ever overthrow, in spite of subtleties sharp minds invent.
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:18

Originally posted by Yiannis

Apparently, there's a difference of opinions between the two countries. In such cases, people go to court. Greece has already invited Turkey to take the matter to Hague and has reiterated it's commitment to accept the court's ruling whatever it may be. Turkey refuses to do the same. I leave the conclusions to the readers...

Not so quick, If I remember correctly Erdogan offered to go court for all problems together. It wasnt accepted by greece.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 20:23

Mortaza wrote:

"when last  time these non friendly turks opened a war to greece? "

Are you telling me the Cassus Bellum is freindly?

i didnt say turkey is goin to attack greece. It is the use of threats of war that drives up the tension and defense budgets. Remember this actaully is verbalised from the turkish side, not on the greek side.

Naturally Greece will buy up weapons up if turkey uses this approach to a disagreement. Its like having a gun to your head mortaza, would you say ok lets discuss this now? This is no way to handle a situation, if you decide to buy your own gun,  is that a sign of aggresion or are you protecting yourself?

"If I remember correctly Erdogan offered to go court for all problems together."

You cant put all the issues together they are seperate, this is a tactic and nothing more. Otherwise you can start to bargain between the issues and that can make things less clear. Rather than seeing the merits of each case on each seperate issue.

Edited by Leonidas
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 20:39

kotumeyil
Im at work right now, but when i go home Ill post a essay that was done on the two claims by someone in the US military. It outlines the cases and doesnt takes sides. I hope the act of war threat can be put to rest otherwise there can be no real or meaningful dialogue.

What i would like to see is a TV court case like judge judy as the agreed forum......

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 00:28
ok got it, its a bit dated (2001) and before erdogan but still is a good background reading from a third party point of view.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 02:44

Thank you, Leonidas. Useful resource.... I will read it completely but the first impression, as can be understood from the maps Phallanx posted as well is that Greece wants to control Turkey's accession to international waters. This isn't a show of good will I think. But we always hear here that "barbarian Turks want to capture what belongs to Greece" it is claimed that how Greece is innocent. I'm quoting Turkish claims from your link below for just to show it is more complex than just "Turkey wants to take what belongs to Greece".

" Turkish reasoning is as follows: extending the Greek territorial water limit to 12 nm will increase Greek waters from approximately 35 percent of the Aegean to approximately 64 percent, giving Greece direct control over almost three-fourths of the Sea. (A subsequent extension by Turkey would only increase her territorial waters from approximately 9 percent to 10 percent.) The high seas in the Aegean would be reduced from approximately 56 percent to 26 percent.

Such an extension would turn the Aegean into a de facto Greek sea, fragmenting the areas of high seas due to the scattering of the Greek islands. This would in essence confine Turkish vessels in their own territorial waters as well as block them from entering Turkish territorial waters from the Mediterranean Sea; in reality they would not actually be confined nor blocked because of the right of innocent passage, but Turkey feels that Greece would be able to control them and impose guidelines and restrictions to such degrees as to take away the freedom of movement that they previously would have had.

International traffic from third countries might also lose the freedom of unrestricted travel through formerly international Aegean waters; innocent passage does not apply to aircraft either. Since the Turkish Anatolian coast would be effectively isolated, it could directly affect the Turkish economy, security, and scientific interests and, therefore, the Turkish people. She would also lose the independence to conduct military operations on the sea and in the air of the Aegean, which could affect the defense of her state. Finally, an extension of Greek territorial waters from 6 to 12 nm would give Greece an advantage in the resolution of the continental shelf issue by automatically increasing the amount of shelf over which she has corresponding sole jurisdiction.

Turkey feels that Article 15 and Article 300 of UNCLOS III, as discussed in Section A, strongly support Turkey.s claims: that extending the territorial waters from 6 to 12 nm would be an abuse of right in an area of special circumstances. Thus, in sum, she strongly opposes any extension of Greek territorial waters from 6 to 12 nm because it would adversely affect her vital interests."

Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 02:48

Are you telling me the Cassus Bellum is freindly?

You can call it agressive, and  I can call it defensive.  Sure there are some conflict, but this does not mean It is turkey nonfriendly.

Acording to Turkey, we are trying to stop greece expansion.We are trying to protect status qua.You cannot say, protecting status qua is aggresive. In fact  country which want to change status qua was always aggresive side. So why do you think Greece is exception?

Noone is forcing  you to give something, but Infact It was greece who force us.So literally, you are saying,Its like having a gun to your head mortaza, but Infact It was greece who is trying to  expand her borders with this gun.  It was greece who want to change status qua at aegean.

You cant put all the issues together they are seperate, this is a tactic and nothing more. Otherwise you can start to bargain between the issues and that can make things less clear. Rather than seeing the merits of each case on each seperate issue.

So why dont your country go to court for arming islands? It looks like greece is complately selective for which problem should go court.  why dont all problems go court?  we cannot bargain at court. It is court who will decide.  Court is not a political thing,  but legal thing.(Even sometimes international courts becomes political too)

Well lets remember wars between greece and turkey.

Cyprus conflict(maybe not war) It was created by greece.(finished by turkey)

Independent war, It was created by greece.

So how can you accuse us  with expansionism? It was greece who tried to expand last 100 year two time.

Dont you know, after independence, Greece never lost any land, but expand her borders.

sorry but It looks like, accusation of greece, and reality of greece conflicts each other.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 06:23
kotumeyil, so far ive only talked on the legalities of greece rights, you are mentioning the turkish point of view (which are politically based), neither are wrong or right and both have a rationale in it. The objections i have is that the turkish,  though it has real concerns, needs to be argue them in a  differnt way that is used right now. The way foward is not through the current approach which is outside the international legal frameworks in place. Turkey cannot force bilateral talks and expect greece not to test and defend her legal rights outside this framework. Flying jets over greeces islands and this "act of war" business does not make the problem any easier' just harder and more expensive.

"
Turkey feels that Article 15 and Article 300 of UNCLOS III, as discussed in Section A, strongly support Turkey.s claims: "
Turkey refuse to sign UNCLOS III so I cant see how it can use it to justify its claims.

"Greece signed and ratified UNCLOS III, but even after it was finalized Turkey did not agree with many of the regimes that UNCLOS III set up. Turkey therefore did not (and has not to this day) sign UNCLOS III and her opposition to many of the facets of UNCLOS III has been another root cause of the rift between Greece and Turkey."pg7

Edited by Leonidas
Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 07:02

If it gets expanded to 12 miles, Aegean sea becomes like a Greek national sea and the international waters' area gets limited, so it is so natural that it is against the Turkish benefits there.

It is so pointless that Greece says Turkey isn't right to accept that.Any nation wouldn't accept such a proposal that would give Aegean See such a partition

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 08:00
Mortaza wrote:
"You can call it agressive, and  I can call it defensive.  Sure there are some conflict, but this does not mean It is turkey nonfriendly."
A threat is unfreindly and aggressive, to most people. These threats have not been returned either. If some one threatens me my first reaction is to prepare for the worse since i wouldnt give an inch either.. you know something called honour.

"
Acording to Turkey, we are trying to stop greece expansion.We are trying to protect status qua."

Actually the rights greece has, are not something greece fought for. She just has them, they was just more reconised by international treaties as times move on. So it isnt expansion they way your saying.
Its all about perception Mortaza.

Protecting the status quo? This wasnt an issue for turkey until the 70's, It started around the cyprus conflict and the discovery of the mineral/oil in the aegean. Tukey didnt care until
1 it realised greece can claim alot of the aegean and
2 that it mite be worth something.

The staus quo denies greece her legal right. Turkey is trying to protect its political will over the aegean , while avoiding international protocol

"
It was greece who is trying to  expand her borders with this gun. "

With lawyers and treaties not guns; greece doesnt need guns/threats to argue its case

"
So why dont your country go to court for arming islands? It looks like greece is complately selective for which problem should go court"

Take them to court, thats what I want. Greece can go to court on all issues and win. It just cannot go to court on all issues at the same time and as one issue that is my point.

They are seperate and are covered by differnt rules. Aegean military units for instance are not covered by the laws/treaties that govern the continenetal shelf. So even if they are related they are judged seperatly, trying to combine them is a tactic , so to trade them amongst themselves and politise the issues.

As for those "armed" islands. They were armed after the establishment of the 4th aegean army which has the largest non-ocean going landing force in the world and 100, 000 troops. Thats a big gun and curious that its considered defensive by turkey.

"
Well lets remember wars between greece and turkey."

Well lets forget them for the sake of the thread,  there are no good guys mortaza, and im not goin to compare injustices that go back centuries.

You cannot bring the past up if you want to move into the future, nor would they help you in a court of law
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 08:19

threat is unfreindly and aggressive, to most people. These threats have not been returned either. If some one threatens me my first reaction is to prepare for the worse since i wouldnt give an inch either.. you know something called honour.

Sure, but what can Turkey do? Sorry but greece didnt  said let discuss  this, She said I am expanding my borders. what should Turkey  do?

Actually the rights greece has, are not something greece fought for. She just has them, they was just more reconised by international treaties as times move on. So it isnt expansion they way your saying.
Its all about perception Mortaza.

Complately agree, but aegean is not a standart sea. I am sure Turkey will not interested with greeece expanding their borders to mediterrian  or to italy.

The staus quo denies greece her legal right. Turkey is trying to protect its political will over the aegean , while avoiding international protocol

Did we accept this protocol? I mean, because you make some agreement with  others, why should we give some of our rights?

With lawyers and treaties not guns; greece doesnt need guns/threats to argue its case

Realy? So  why are you  wasting more money to gun ? You should waste your  money to lawyer. And pls dont tell me, It was because of Turkey.  Turkey will not attack you.

They were armed after the establishment of the 4th aegean army which has the largest non-ocean going landing force in the world and 100, 000 troops

so? We are using only our right(like you are using). It is not against any international agreement but arming island is against.So maybe this using right thing is a little tricky?

Well lets forget them for the sake of the thread,  there are no good guys mortaza, and im not goin to compare injustices that go back centuries.
You cannot bring the past up if you want to move into the future, nor would they help you in a court of law

You understood me wrong, I  dont say we  should interest with past, I am just trying to show, we did not made any war after building Turkey.  You cannot say, a country who did nothing but interested hersef last 80  year, is an aggresive and expansionist country. Our borders didnt changed, and we didnt try  to change it.

I dont think accusing Turkey is fair.

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 12:19
As Leonidas so correctly mentioned, how can you make claims on articles of a law you never did sign yet conveniently do use ??

Besides what does article 15 say ?

That :
The above provision does not apply, however, where it is necessary by reason of historic title or other special circumstances to delimit the territorial seas of the two States in a way which is at variance therewith.

So our lack of ability to come to an agreement can not affect the application of the LOS simply due to historic title which I'm sure no one will deny, but what about article 300 ?

States Parties shall fulfil in good faith the obligations assumed under this Convention and shall exercise the rights, jurisdiction and freedoms recognized in this Convention in a manner which would not constitute an abuse of right

But how can we speak of abuse when our internationally recognized rights can not be applied in this situation.

Mortaza

So according to you trying to enforce a law that over 130 countries have also applied EVEN TURKEY is expansionism..
Then Turkey is one of those countries that expand, right ? so is the US, France, Zimbambue and Tazmania...
Since when is trying to use a law called expansionism and why does this 'expansionism' only apply to Hellas THAT ISN'T ALLOWED BY THREAT OF WAR to use the law, yet is not applied to Turkey that has been using it since 1964 ???

You mention arming islands, do you honestly know what we signed in the Lausanne treaty and exactly what it says ???

According to the treaty the islands of Lemnos, Samothrace, Mytilene, Chios, Samos and Nikaria shall NOT:

(I) No naval base and no fortification will be established in the said islands.

(2) Greek military aircraft will be forbidden to fly over the territory of the Anatolian coast. Reciprocally, the Turkish Government will forbid their military aircraft to fly over the said islands.

(Which doesn't really happen otherwise there would be NO dogfights)

(3) The Greek military forces in the said islands will be limited to the normal contingent called up for military service, which can be trained on the spot, as well as to a force of gendarmerie and police in proportion to the force of gendarmerie and police existing in the whole of the Greek territory.

So unless you can prove naval base, fortifications and an ammount of soldiers that surpass the normal contigent your claims are baseless..

So why dont your country go to court for arming islands? It looks like greece is complately selective for which problem should go court.  why dont all problems go court?  we cannot bargain at court. It is court who will decide.

Ahh, but dear Mortaza, your country DOES NOT accept courts, you prefer claims of Casus Belli, you see there have been several attempts but Turkey has always claimed that the court doesn't have juristiction over this issue, as seen in 78', 83, 89'.. Even today while we say 'let the courts settle it' you say a court has no right to... So you see, you prefer to play 'bully' than really bring the problem to it's solution..

As for Cyprus and the 1920' that's a different topic, but we have made it a habbit of discussing everything in the same topic...

Finally, it wasn't so long ago (during Moliviatis visit) that the speaker of the Turkish National Assembly Bulent Arinc openly proposed to lift the Casus Belli and A.Gull had said that IT IS PART OF TURKEY'S POLICY...

WHY the sudden turn now, why allow the military goons of the "Turkish National Staff" run your country, wasn't it expansionism then (just 5 month ago), what lead to yet another, change in the face of Turkey's policy in the issue ???

Probably this statement was just smoke in the eyes of the EU due to the membership talks..
Mortaza View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 15:55

did we signed LOS  or not? If we didnt It dont bind us. I dont care how many million of country signed it. Lets say 130 country say, lets give half of Turkey to greece, do you think we will accept this, or do you think, our refusal become illegal?? So why should we give half of aegean to you?

And for court thing, As I said, Erdogan said, lets solve all of our problem at court. did greece accept this?

By the way, Casus Belli was not problem for us, It is problem for you. If you try to take 80% of aegean, than you should think about it again because of Casus belli.

If you dont want to take 80% of agean well, np. Dont interest casus belli much. So It is you decision to expand or not.

So unless you can prove naval base, fortifications and an ammount of soldiers that surpass the normal contigent your claims are baseless..

If you read greek embassy, they dont say we have not naval base or something like this. So even your own country accept they armed their island. No need to playing world. I made my army duty at Goke Ada, and acording to militaristic plans, greece have power to destroy that island at 5 minute. I am sure this cannot do with only small soldiers.

why are you refusing, what your goverment accept?

Phallanx View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 07:02
Well, no you didn't sign it but conveniently use the law as mentioned in both your Mediterrainian and Black Sea borders..

Your problem is as in the Cyprus discussion we had, is you consider  that the Aegean belongs to Turkey.. The Aegean doesn't and can not belong to anyone which is exactly what the laws clearly imply. But if we should give the title to someone that would have to be to the inhabbitants of the Aegean islands and not to someone in S.Africa..

Like it or not, anyone can enter your 12 mile borders in the Black and Mediterrainian seas without asking you as long as they abide by the clauses mentioned before.

For example, human trafficing in the form of illegal immigrants is a norm in the Aegean, just a week ago, 150 Indian immigrants attempting to reach Italy, almost drowned just 2 miles off the shores of Crete.
While they had been seen, identified and closely watched, our navy and coast guard couldn't do anything, SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY ABIDE BY ALL THE CLAUSES OF THE LAW..

You mention courts and ask if we have accepted, I suggest you read my previous post cause you probably missed it. Not only do we accept it, but we have actually taken the issue to court, a court you (Turkey) in all three (if not more) occasions, argued, that it allegedly had no juristiction..

Casus Belli, is your problem and not only your problem but actually the ENTIRE EU should have been on it's feet after this announcement.
Since when is a country, any country that wants to become part of any organisation allowed to threaten with war another country, already a member of that organisation ???

I for one, am actually quite disappointed that this issue hasn't annoyed some of the other members in this fora and have let this be yet another Hellinic-Turkish discussion/argument, when in reality such issues ARE OF  INTERNATIONAL INTEREST.

As for the rest, firstly I have no idea where 'Goke Ada' is, second I fail to understand your way of thinking.
You, yourself say that the embassy mentions nothing about the islands having a naval base, yet, you jump to the conclussion that they accept arming the island. How does that work ???

Plans are plans, how the island will be destroyed, if there is such a plan since I personally find it rediculous and impossible. I have seen plans and have taken part in various exercises none of them, not even one mention destruction of any part of land, well not Hellinic land that is.

Anyway, for the hell of it, lets say the plan wants it destroyed, that doesn't prove it has a sufficient amount of troops on it, there are a number of ways to do what you claim from a distance.

Edited by Phallanx
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 07:36
"So why should we give half of aegean to you?"
your not giving anything so stop think in those terms if that makes it easier for you. Greece gets to manage more of the aegean and you get an extra 1%. BTW Greece gets 64% to manage not 80%.

Its a perceived threat nothing more, in reality greece cannot block or confine turkish vessels. It makes it hard for you military but a mutual disarming of that area can solve that quikly aswell. BUt i dont think Ozkok will be happy about that.

"in reality they (greece)would not actually be confined nor blocked because of the right of innocent passage, but Turkey feels that Greece would be able to control them and impose guidelines and restrictions to such degrees as to take away the freedom of movement"pg 20

The whole thing is more on emotions and perceptions. Turkey could easily be accomidated bilatarlly within that frame work but there needs some good will first. So i dont see how turkey is benefiting from a expensive and dangarous stalemate becuase it feels threatened.
 Im sure Greece can put in some aggrements that can be legally binding and address you concerns, if it actaully resolves this.

"By the way, Casus Belli was not problem for us, It is problem for you."
Well if you want to be a part of the EU its your problem.

You cant see the cost of the ill feeling that threat brings. The greek govn sounds pissed off latley, and 1 year ago was holding its hand out even not goin against the dodgy UN peace plan in cyprus, and now it get this slap in the face.

RAND's third party point of view
"First, most of the changes have come on the Greek side. Without some reciprocal gestures on Turkeys part, it may prove difficult to maintain domestic support in Greece for the rapprochement over the long run."pg17

"Two steps in particular on Turkeys part could help to give Greek-Turkish relations new momentum.The first would be for Turkey to rescind the parliamentary resolution saying that the extension of Greek territorial waters would be tantamount to a casus belli. This resolution has particularly vexed Greek public opinion because Greece has the right under international law to extend its territorial waters to 12 miles but has chosen for political reasons not to do so. A second gesture would be to reopen the theological seminary on the island of Halki which was closed in the early1970s.

Both moves would give Greek-Turkish dtente new momentum and be an important sign of Turkeys commitment to further improving relations with Greece. They would also make it easier domestically for the Greek leadership to justify its dtente policy and take additional steps to strengthen it. Indeed, without some reciprocal gestures
on Turkeys part, public support for Greek-Turkish dtente maybe hard to sustain in Greece over the long run."
pg22/23

Goodluck if you think the isolationist/nationalist, stuck in the 50's, path is the right thing.

"So even your own country accept they armed their island. No need to playing world"
They're armed, and defensive in proportion to the turkish forces, not more not less.
Unless you think that islands can move like navy ships (or if you want to attack them), what do you care if it has defensive weapons or not. What is the problem? you have no issue in stating turkey's right for self defence. so that concept shouldnt be hard to understand.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 08:47

Originally posted by Leonidas

They're armed, and defensive in proportion to the turkish forces, not more not less. Unless you think that islands can move like navy ships (or if you want to attack them), what do you care if it has defensive weapons or not. What is the problem? you have no issue in stating turkey's right for self defence. so that concept shouldnt be hard to understand.

From my part, when I was serving my military duty in Samos, I can assure our Turkish friends that I never saw any landing vessels full with armed to the teeth, blood-thirsty soldiers, ready to put to sea towards Kusadasi. Only ships full of Greek and foreign tourists

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 16:41
Originally posted by Yiannis

From my part, when I was serving my military duty in Samos.....

You are from Samos and you served to military in Samos? Lucky guy!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1213141516 17>