Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Should the Caliphate be revived?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should the Caliphate be revived?
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 16:16
  I would like the opinions of people on this site if they think the Caliphate should be revivied.  If it ever was revived who should be caliph? 
God Bless You
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:13

my opinion is that muslims need a comman leader to represent all muslims similar to the pope in rome. reviving a caliph would be something really hard to do becouse:

1) the muslim countries around the world is vast nearly 60 countries. the caliph must have a common goal that doesnt offend any muslim country.

2)the caliph would need to protect the interest of all muslims around the world.

3)muslim countries need to protect the caliphate under all circumstances(union)

4)finally the caliph should not in any circumstances be under any influence of the west and america which is the hardest part.

who should be the caliph?

well in my opinion he should not be a turk or an arab to promote equality in muslims around the world. he needs a common capital city which needs to be central to the islamic world (Baghdad, Tehran, Damascus, Cairo, ankara or even should change locations)

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:23

I would like to see a universial Islamic religious figure that all peace loving Muslims will respect and follow.  Not necesarily a caliphate in the sense of the Omyaaids, but just a caliph with symbolic influence.

Yes, the caliph should not be an Arab or a Turk.  Perhaps a minority like a Kurd.

The existence of a caliph that espouses peace would lessen the mliitarist propanganda of violent Islamic organizations.

I think a temporary capital should be settle at Baghdad.  It will help unite the Islamic people in and indirectly keep U.S. operations in the region in check.

AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 22:51

Are we saying Caliphe who lead the Muslim world politically? or just a figure like the Pope?

Because uniting the Muslim world under a political caliph is impossible now, and to choose a Caliph who acts as a spiritual figure is not part of our Islamic heritage as we don't have a popacy. The Arabic Caliphs of the earlier muslim empires and the Turk caliphs of the later empires were seperate from religious constitutions and sometimes conflicted with religious figures, thus ensuring seperation of state and religion to an extend.

Plus, I'm not sure a spiritual caliph will have what job? He cannot be a religious leader of all nations because we don't believe in God's chosen leading person after the prophet. All opinions are considered and no religious hierarchy in that sense for Muslim (except for Shia, which is one of the main differences for that sect)

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Quote poirot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 02:14

I am in favor of a Muslim version of the Pope, but it looks like nothing like it is going to happen.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 02:20

well in Sunnie branch of islam there are no one figure than can be considered the main in religion, while the Shiea do , they call them Aayatullahs, i think there is 6 Aayatulahs alive now.

Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 02:31

I don't think so if the caliphate back it will strangle the freedom of all people,because the caliph think himself choosen by God.

I hate this idea.

"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 02:36

I want to be the Caliph instead of the Caliph!

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 02:42

Actually Ahmed it depends,

If that Caliph will be under the taditionl notion of an Islamic Caliph, Caliph a word in arabic comes from Yakhluf or to come after, and it is for a leader to descripte the all persons assuming the leadership of the Islamic nation after the prophet. So it is originally a non-religious term.

Many stories talk about Caliphs trying to pressure famous religious scholars to push for a religious idea, because the Caliph has no power and neither it is his right to assume the top of the heirarchy in giving religious interpetations and orders.

However, a Caliph will fail, because we have too many Muslim countries with too many divisions. Very hard, if it is not impossible, to gather even the majority of them under a caliph.

By the way, I like the old traditional Caliphate where a Caliph is chosen for his credintials and not the bloodline, almost like an early form of democracy. Ummuyid, Abbasid, Ottoman..etc caliphs later, were bloodline caliphate. A step down from what we used to be.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 04:28
The existence of a caliph that espouses peace would lessen the mliitarist propanganda of violent Islamic organizations.

I think he would support it.

finally the caliph should not in any circumstances be under any influence of the west and america which is the hardest part.

Well, how about Bin Laden?

(Baghdad, Tehran, Damascus, Cairo, ankara or even should change locations)

Because of a being a secular state, Turkish Republic will not recognize any caliphate.

And as a muslim, I don't want any caliph deciding what should muslims do.
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 12:22

Originally posted by Bar

finally the caliph should not in any circumstances be under any influence of the west and america which is the hardest part.

Well, how about Bin Laden? .

eerrr NO, that wasnt funny

Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 15:56

We need something like the EU, an islamic union, like the one Jamal al Deen al Afghani advocated. Muslim countries would unit to serve other muslim countries, but at the current situation its next to impossible .

A central figure wouldn't work, imho.

Ottoman Emperor View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Ottoman Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2005 at 23:50
 Back before the Ottoman Empire was overthrown did all muslims see it as the sole caliphate?  I remeber hearing that the British after World War I promised to protect the caliphate and not let it be abolished, is this true?
God Bless You
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Oct-2005 at 09:09

Originally posted by Ottoman Emperor

Back before the Ottoman Empire was overthrown did all muslims see it as the sole caliphate? 

well most muslim countries during world war 1 were under colonization  like india (pakistan), indonesia, central asia and north africa but still sent men and money to the ottoman empire showing there loyalty to the caliph. even some arabs fought side by side with the turks in iraq also showing there loyalty. but unfortunately this wasnt the case everywhere as some muslims didnt count the caliph of the "turks" and allied with british against the ottoman empire like the arabs in yemen.

Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 02:33

I remeber hearing that the British after World War I promised to protect the caliphate and not let it be abolished, is this true?

the british promised alot of things...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Oct-2005 at 02:46

Originally posted by oTToMAn_TurK

but unfortunately this wasnt the case everywhere as some muslims didnt count the caliph of the "turks" and allied with british against the ottoman empire like the arabs in yemen.

That is true. Some Arabs fought to protect the caliphate since it was clearly declared a Jihad war. However, the Jihad backing support failed for multiple reasons, one of the most is that it was not at all Jihad. Enver Pasha attacked the Russians and joined the central powers without the order of the caliph. The Ottomans wanted to regain lost lands and it was not a defense war as Jihad is typically for.  Other reasons, the rise of Arab nationalism inside Arab regions like Iraq, Syria, Lebanon, and the brutal supression of it by Jamal Pasha, the governor of Syria. His unnecessary cruel policies fueled the rumors that Ottomans will supress all other ethnic nationalism but allow for young turks and turk nationalism.

Finally, Yemen always fought the Ottomans. The one who really turned against the Ottoman is the Sherrief of Mecca in 1916 by joining the British after being promised to rule a greater Arabia domain!

I remeber hearing that the British after World War I promised to protect the caliphate and not let it be abolished, is this true?

The British wanted a weak Ottoman administration, and that explains their support to the Ottomans when Ali Pasha of Egypt had his armies marshing twice to Istanbul, 2 das away actually in one incidence. So I  won't be suprised, it was the benifit of the British to keep the weak old caliphate, almost like a puppet after the war. Maybe abondoning the Caliphate that time was not a bad idea. Any thoughts?

D.J. Kaufman
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 16:27
Originally posted by ok ge

The British wanted a weak Ottoman administration, and that explains their support to the Ottomans when Ali Pasha of Egypt had his armies marshing twice to Istanbul, 2 das away actually in one incidence. So I  won't be suprised, it was the benifit of the British to keep the weak old caliphate, almost like a puppet after the war. Maybe abondoning the Caliphate that time was not a bad idea. Any thoughts?

you have got a point ther but then again our situation today is no better. wait a minute its worse

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 17:15
 true
D.J. Kaufman
Fizzil View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Fizzil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 17:42
The last ottoman sultan was considered a caliph, and was buried in Medinah i beleive. He was an honourable man
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Oct-2005 at 17:47

Oh wow,

i didn't know Fizzil he was burried in Madina. You mean the last ottoman caliph who Ataturk exiled?

i actually heared that not till 1989, his offsprings got the turkish citizenship. What did they use to be before?

D.J. Kaufman
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>