Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The influence of touch in development and its role in history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The influence of touch in development and its role in history
    Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 13:02

I recently heard a theory that in a couple of generations, a lot of people are going to be a lot more agressive and have serious psychological problems. The root of the problem lies, according to this theory, in the lack of touch, especially during childhood. Children nowadays spend more and more time in front of the TV or the computer, and less and less playing with their peers and doing family activities. Those are the 2 areas in a child's life, where he/she is most likely to have physical contact with other human beings. Apparently, physical contact through touch (ie hugging, kissing, holding hands, even games which involve touching each other), of course not in a sexual way, is vital to a child's development. A lack of it may lead to agressive and antisocial behavior later in life. An extreme example of children who lack touch are the children in the orphanages of communist Romania, who exhibited stunted growth, both physical and emotional, as well as repetitive obsesive-compulsive behavior such as rocking back and forth.

The other day, I was thinking about the impact that cultural values prohibiting or allowing touch for children, may have on the overall development of a society. For example, were the early Americans more agressive because of Puritan values limiting the physical contact for children? Another interesting point where this could have played a role in history is in the development of royal heirs. In many societies, the presumptive heirs were somewhat isolated from other children and often from their parents. Do you think that certain key decisions in world history were taken indirectly because of attitudes developed by sovereigns who lacked touch in their developmental stage?

Let me know your opinions on this subject.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 13:34
Yes, you may well be right. We are scared of touching and caressing but this keeps the emotional balance in shape, what is much more important with th still forming "soul" of children. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 13:46

Guys, please do not get me wrong.
I have notice this in the past, specially among americans and europeans. We as Latin Americans displays more the affection in public and kissing and caressing.

I have 3 nephews already and they really like to be huged.

It may be one of those cultural differences.
Regards
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 14:04
I think that there certainly is a cultural difference there. The question that I have is if you think this has had an impact on certain groups, or certain important individuals, and thus affected history.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2005 at 15:25
Decebal wrote: "Another interesting point where this could have played a role in history is in the development of royal heirs. In many societies, the presumptive heirs were somewhat isolated from other children and often from their parents".

I think a perfect modern example is Prince Charles of England...who as a young boy was taught by private tutors and had not much interaction with other children. He ultimately became somewhat of a "royal rebel" (e.g. was divorced, married a divorced woman, etc.), which is against English royal "protocol". He himself must have realized how detrimental it was for him when he made sure that his children (William and Harry) attended school with other children and never had them privately tutored.

Jalisco wrote: "We as Latin Americans displays more the affection in public and kissing and caressing."

Coming from a half-Spanish background, I totally agree that the majority of latin americans display much more affection within the family unit than europeans and anglos.

Great topic Decebal...I'm curious as to other opinions regarding this issue.

Morty

Post Reply Post Reply