Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHello Everyone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Everyone
    Posted: 14-Sep-2004 at 19:55

I'll give it a shot.  So, how do folks keep track of all the threads they've posted on here?

I know I don't all the time. I try to keep up by checking all of the updated ones.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 06:41
I make use of the Active Topics feature to keep up with threads that have been posted in since my last visit.  A really excellent feature!
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 07:58

Originally posted by Cornellia

I make use of the Active Topics feature to keep up with threads that have been posted in since my last visit.  A really excellent feature!

Thanks for the info!

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 10:07

Thanks for the info, L_D.

I see you are a linguist -- not unusual here, but most seen among European and Asian members. Bravo!

BTW, I need to say you have a rather cool full name, so it's nearly a pity to replace it with a nick. Maybe you know, Mastro is Italian for Master. Do you have Italian ancestors? Or, maybe, Spaniards?

Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Sep-2004 at 10:30

Serge L,

Originally posted by Serge L

Thanks for the info, L_D.

I see you are a linguist -- not unusual here, but most seen among European and Asian members. Bravo!

You are too kind, sir!  

My linguistic skills are actually predominantly limited to the martial arts, and historical military matters.  I took 3 years of Latin in high school, but I otherwise have little expertise in this field.

BTW, I need to say you have a rather cool full name, so it's nearly a pity to replace it with a nick. Maybe you know, Mastro is Italian for Master. Do you have Italian ancestors? Or, maybe, Spaniards?

Hispano-Italian ancestors, actually.

The original name was "Mastrobattista" ("Master Baptist"?), which my father shortened to "Mastro" long before I was even born.  His father was from Rome, and his mother was from a town on the Adriatic, called Ortona.  As I'm sure you know, the Spanish had a pretty profound influence in Italy for many years--in Sicily, Naples, Milan, Tuscany, etc.  From what I understand, "Mastro" is more commonly seen as a Spanish spelling, as opposed to "Maestro".  In fact, I sometimes have Latino folks ask me if I'm Spanish, based solely on my name.

My middle name, "Black", was my mother's maiden name--she was a Scot-Irish Protestant, who could ultimately trace her ancestry to Catholic Highland Scots of the MacGregor clan.

Peace,

David

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 04:09
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

The original name was "Mastrobattista" ("Master Baptist"?),

Yes, that would be the litteral translation. "Mastro", in syurnames, means "Master artisian", so your ancestor was either a skilled artisian named Battista, or, since "battista" was also a nickname for waiters or house servants, he could have been a head waiter or a butler.

which my father shortened to "Mastro" long before I was even born.  His father was from Rome, and his mother was from a town on the Adriatic, called Ortona. 

Ortona a Mare, in Region Abruzzi, Province of Chieti. I know it, my mother lived there for many years during her youth, and I have been there in vacation, once.  Me and my mother both lived for many years in Rome too.

As I'm sure you know, the Spanish had a pretty profound influence in Italy for many years--in Sicily, Naples, Milan, Tuscany, etc.  From what I understand, "Mastro" is more commonly seen as a Spanish spelling, as opposed to "Maestro".  In fact, I sometimes have Latino folks ask me if I'm Spanish, based solely on my name.

Sure, it could have been Italian or Spanish both. The two languages are rather similar, and there also have been mutual influences, as you mentioned.

My middle name, "Black", was my mother's maiden name--she was a Scot-Irish Protestant, who could ultimately trace her ancestry to Catholic Highland Scots of the MacGregor clan.

In this case the surname origin is probably derived from physical characteristics of the ancestor (dark hair and/or skin ... at least for Scottish standards).

However, I repeat, I really like the sound of your full name.

Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Sep-2004 at 07:10

Hi Serge,

Originally posted by Serge L

Yes, that would be the litteral translation. "Mastro", in syurnames, means "Master artisian", so your ancestor was either a skilled artisian named Battista, or, since "battista" was also a nickname for waiters or house servants, he could have been a head waiter or a butler.

Thanks for the info regarding all of that--I do remember my father once saying that our ancestors had supposedly been involved in clothing manufacture, so the "artisan" part makes sense.

Ortona a Mare, in Region Abruzzi, Province of Chieti. I know it, my mother lived there for many years during her youth, and I have been there in vacation, once.  Me and my mother both lived for many years in Rome too.

It truly is a small world!

Sure, it could have been Italian or Spanish both. The two languages are rather similar, and there also have been mutual influences, as you mentioned.

Those "mutual influences" have always particularly intrigued me from the martial/military standpoint.  During the late Middle Ages and into the Renaissance, the swordfighting traditions of Spain and Italy were rather similar.  Both areas were famous for their style of sword-and-shield fighting (espada y rodela; spada e rotella), which saw much application on the battlefields.  In civilian circles, the Spanish and Italians also popularized the method of using the sword-and-dagger (espada y daga; spada e pugnale).  In terms of "mutual influences", the Spanish derived their famous battle formations--the colunela and tercio--from Italian sources.  In addition, Italian schermitores from Naples insist to this very day that their is a Spanish element to their swordplay, though they are not sure what it is!  Considering the long Spanish involvement in the South of Italy (the whole "Kingdom of the Two Sicilies" deal), this doesn't sound surprising.  It's also interesting to note that, in the late 16th century, the Spanish Army of Flanders--generally considered to be the very best army in Western Europe--actually had more Italian soldiers than Spanish ones!  Also, in terms of quality, out of the so-called "Six Nations" (Spaniards, Italians, Burgundians, Germans, Walloons, and British) who served in the Spanish Army, the Spanish considered the Italians to be second only to themselves.  In fact, the best commander that the Spanish Army of Flanders ever had (indeed, perhaps the best commander anywhere in Europe at that time) was Italian--the famous Alessandro Farnese, the Duke of Parma!

In this case the surname origin is probably derived from physical characteristics of the ancestor (dark hair and/or skin ... at least for Scottish standards).

Well, it might actually be by English standards, since, as far as I know, "Black" was one of several names given to Scottish families by the English, after the Jacobite Rebellions when the Gaelic-speaking Highland culture was suppressed.  You could compare it to the African slave Kuta Kinte (sp) being named "Toby", in the old tv series Roots.

However, I repeat, I really like the sound of your full name.

Feel free to use my full name, if you wish.

Peace,

David

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12