Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who are the Janissaries?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the Janissaries?
    Posted: 13-Sep-2004 at 17:21

The Janissaries were the best of the Ottoman infantry--an important core for a warrior culture that wasn't otherwise known in particular for its footsoldiers.

They used a long-barreled arquebus called a tufek, and their gunnery skill was respected by European Christians.  The kilij-type saber was a common sidearm.

Some Janissaries were equipped as close combat troops, and were known as Zirhli Nefer.  These soldiers wore maille-and-plate defenses, and in addition to swords, used various types of polearms, like the tirpan, which was clearly a copy of the Italian-style military bill (roncone).  The Zirhli Nefer were the Ottoman equivalent of what Western Europeans referred to generally as "armed men" or "corselet men" (ie., armored troops equipped with melee weapons, like targetiers, halberdiers, and pikemen).  However, the Janissaries do not appear to have adopted the pike--at least, not during the 16th century.  Because of this, they were often considered to be at a disadvantage against Western pike-and-shot formations.

Peace,

David

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12