Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Origin of the Title Baschi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ShadowedRealm View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ShadowedRealm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Origin of the Title Baschi
    Posted: 28-Sep-2005 at 01:02
Thanks for all of the information. I really appreciate the help.
baracuda View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote baracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 05:26
"ShadowedRealm" the 'sch' is just a mis-spelling due to not knowing how to pronounce correctly the "ş - sh" and the "ı - no parallel in english" sounds, I've also come across some examples of such things but its few.

Besides that;

Solacki-Baschi, - Solakci basi
Boluck-Baschi, - Boluk/Bolukcu basi
Oda-Baschis,    - Oda/Odaci basi

some such names are pretty ancient, and in some cases used a little differently.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2005 at 01:26

It is grammatical rule.

Bash=head

Bashi=head of, like yuzbashi, it would translate as leader of 100 heads (captain).

Also Bashi could mean "his head", like in bashibozuk, which roughly translates as "loose head", bashibozuk(lar) were  mercenaries with little training in the warfare, and were used by Ottomans mostly to test enemy positions in the first attack.

Edited by Tatar
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ShadowedRealm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2005 at 22:07
Thanks for your help.

So why would I find 'baschi' instead of 'bash' or 'bashi'? Is this a variant spelling, or possibly due to some grammatical rule? I am trying to figure out whether or not a really old secondary source's use of the tiitles I mentioned in my first post is valid.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2005 at 11:52
Yes. For example we have the title "subashi", derived from the same word, and it is known it was also used by Gokturks and the Turkic communities before it (according to Kashgarli Mahmut). So it is an ancient title...
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2005 at 09:49
Bash (head) is a very basic word in Turkish so I think it's thousands of years old...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Sep-2005 at 09:48
basch or bash in Turkish "ba" means head. Those titles you mention are the heads of some military or servant groups. Also you see in the surname of the president of Turkmenistan Saparmurad Turkmenbashi (head of Turkmens)
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote ShadowedRealm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Sep-2005 at 14:59
Does anyone know when the Turkish title baschi (used in such titles as Solacki-Baschi, Boluck-Baschi, Oda-Baschis, etc.) orginated? Was it during (or prior to) the medieval period?
 Post Reply Post Reply